PDA

View Full Version : Empire 6: The Guardian Dream

TheDarkDM
2021-01-23, 04:00 AM
Choosing to brave the formless dark of a realm only they have ever seen, Eae descends once more into waking sleep. In their third eye, the familiar grey light of the Twilight stretches ahead of them, familiar despite the hostility of its keepers. Straining their will against that siren call, Eae turns their perspective away, down into an abyss without beginning or end. The Twilight, for all its strange rules and mysteries, is a reflection of the world as Eae knows it, details shimmering and shifting through the filter of a sleeper's recollection. This new dream lacked any such comforting landmarks, and as Eae wills themself inside they begin to fall. Or perhaps, to fly.

The darkness flows by without rhyme or reason, the only touchstone brief flashes of color and sound that even Eae's enchanted perception cannot fully grasp. As they fall deeper into the void though, they begin to feel the familiar pull of four other consciousnesses, leviathans thriving in the black that Eae is struggling simply to understand. Before, the sensation of being watched was enough to move Eae to flight, but now they push aside their fear and dive deeper, towards one of the beings that might at last provide answers. Eae feels themself somehow hurtling further from their body and the world itself than when they braved the Bright Place, until at last a single star winks into existence on the horizon. It grows swiftly, spiraling open like an unearthly flower into a serpentine body of pure starlight, its radiance somehow soothing where the Bright Place was searing. Twin sapphire suns flare to life at the head of the apparition, and at once Eae is floating helpless beneath the gaze of a vast cosmic serpent, every inch of it radiating power and nourishing warmth. It weaves a hypnotizing pattern in the darkness, circling around the oh-so-small figure of Eae until a single eye of blue fire obscures all else.

"THIS PLACE IS NOT SAFE FOR ONE SUCH AS YOU, CHILD."

The voice echoes through Eae's mind, stunning in its enormity yet somehow comforting. The Dolod has no understanding of the sensation, for it has been untold generations since a child looked upon its mother in innocent wonder.

"HOW DID YOU COME TO BE HERE?"

JBarca
2021-01-23, 11:13 PM
Eae stares in wonder, listens in awe, and experiences in horrified fascination. In short, they witness, as no Dolod has yet witnessed. There is fear, yes, but mostly that this knowledge would be lost if the danger proved existential rather than merely harmful. The Dolod have long been a practical people, in their own way. What can be witnessed and passed on is important. What cannot, is not. Now, though? Now there is something deeper than sand, stone, and food. Something larger than memory, perhaps.

Eae keeps their eyes wide as the entity communicates. They allows themselves a calming sigh before speaking.

"We- No, I am Eae. I am the Pioneer, the Dreamguide. I am the Prophet, in a way. I am empowered by Emnellenme to seek truth, to go beyond where liars deign to reign and deceit is their violent enforcer. I am spending..." Eae pauses and concentrates, separating their memory into two distinct chunks. There is the Dream and there is something else, something at the point when Dream was but the future.

"I spend time to learn how to come to the Dream. The Sun itself grants me its vision, its piercing gaze. I walk among the minds of the liars as they crawl upon the Dreamer's vision. But I seek truth rather than illusion. I, and my people, want the source, not the mask. So I travel deeper, I travel farther.

"I travel to you."

TheDarkDM
2021-01-26, 02:55 AM
The blue stars twinkle in delight at Eae's sincerity, as the white flame surrounds them in a protective glow.

"THERE ARE MANY DREAMS AND MANY DREAMERS, EAE TRUTHSEEKER. YOUR GAZE HAS LED YOU DEEP BEYOND THE DREAMS OF YOUR KEN. YOU WALK THE DREAM OF THE WORLD SOUL, SHARED ONLY BY THOSE BORN OF ITS POWER. HAD YOU ENCOUNTERED ONE OF MY SIBLINGS, THEY MAY NOT HAVE WELCOMED YOU FONDLY."

The serpent's attention turns from Eae to the vast abyss surrounding them.

"OUR WAR OCCUPIES OUR THOUGHTS, AND THEY HAVE NOT BEEN AS FORTUNATE AS I."

JBarca
2021-01-28, 09:46 PM
Eae hesitates for long seconds.

"War? With whom do you fight? If I might bother you yet more, you are you? I come to find answers for my people. I travel far, avoiding the traps of the wicked curse-speakers, the blind ones in the Twilight. Can you teach me? I learn much and find myself wanting more."

TheDarkDM
2021-02-04, 04:29 AM
Color erupts around Eae, recollections of a hundred battles against a hundred monstrous horrors.

"WE WAR AGAINST THE BLIGHT, CHILD. AGAINST THAT WHICH WOULD CONSUME THE VERY SPIRIT OF THE WORLD. YOUR KIND HAVE COME TO KNOW ME AS THE GREAT MOTHER, AND I HAVE FELT GREAT JOY TO SEE THEM STAND AGAINST THE TRESPASSER AT MY SIDE."

The dizzying tableaus fade.

"I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF WHOM YOU SPEAK, CURSE-SPEAKERS IN TWILIGHT. IF YOU HAVE TRAVELLED HERE FROM MORTAL DREAMING, YOU HAVE MY ADMIRATION."

Impossible though it was, the thousand-starred constellation smiles.

"AND MY CURIOSITY. NO DOUBT THE DREAMS OF YOUR KIND, INNUMERABLE IN SPIRIT AND SHAPE, ARE JOYS OF COLOR AND SOUND. OUR OWN DREAM IS FAR EMPTIER, FOR OURS IS A SOLITARY DUTY. BE THAT AS IT MAY, I WILL TEACH YOU WHATEVER I AM ABLE."

JBarca
2021-02-05, 02:10 AM
Eae's expression clouds in confusion briefly.

"You fight... the Erasers? Then we owe you gratitude." Eae bows as best they are able in this realm beyond understanding.

"The speakers of curses are... likely beneath your notice. They attack us and claim it is for our benefit. They claim the Dream as their own and assault me as I am entering. They seek harm on my people for our temerity in seeking truth.

"I cannot claim it is mortal dreaming, as I am blessed by the great spirit itself with guidance. But once within the Dream, to this new place I make my own way, yes. I would show you my dreams if I knew how. I am Dolod, and our memory is long, our dreams beautiful. Can you show me how to share my dream, and this Dream, with others? The Erasers - the Blight - are destroying memories. If we could use the Dream to work together, we could hold them back, I know it. The Eaters, Kidnappers, Curse Spewers and Nightmare Spinners - they divide the world to hold on to their meagre power. If I could share truth with others, I could step into their role and tie bonds rather than cut them. I want to bring this truth, this new realm, to everyone."

TheDarkDM
2021-02-07, 02:55 AM
There is a ripple of bright color from the spirit, like laughter, joyous and warm.

"THERE ARE MANY DREAMS, CHILD, AND MANY GREAT SPIRITS. AS MANY AS THERE ARE STARS IN THE SKY. NEAR AS MANY AS THERE ARE MORTALS CLAIMING TO KNOW ULTIMATE TRUTH."

A twinkle in the Great Mother's eye blunts the rebuke.

"TO SHARE A DREAM IS TO SHARE THE WHOLENESS OF YOURSELF CHILD, AND IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. DONE RECKLESSLY, YOU COULD INFLICT GREAT SUFFERING - MY OWN DREAM HAS MASTERED THE SOULS OF MANY, THOUGH THEY FACE IT OF THEIR OWN WILL. IF YOU WOULD SHOULDER SUCH RESPONSIBILITY, THERE ARE ARTS I MIGHT TEACH YOU. ARTS THAT WOULD SHARE YOUR SIGHT BEYOND SIGHT, AND SAFEGUARD YOU IN THIS PLACE SO LONG AS YOU REMAIN CLOSE TO ME. MY SIBLINGS HAVE SUFFERED GREATLY IN THE CENTURIES OF THEIR DUTY, AND THEIR DREAMS ARE...TROUBLED."

JBarca
2021-02-08, 10:07 PM
Eae bows once.

"Please, teach me. This is the reason I am here."

Eae hesitates a moment before speaking again. "And... does the name 'Artavazd' mean anything to you?"

TheDarkDM
2021-02-11, 01:42 AM
At Eae's final question, the creature of starstuff shudders.

"I DO NOT KNOW THAT NAME, CHILD, BUT IT SENDS A CHILL THROUGH ME STILL. WE OF THE GUARDIAN DREAM ARE MUCH REMOVED FROM THE AFFAIRS OF THE MORTAL WORLD - YOU SHOULD SEEK ANSWERS FROM YOUR OWN PEOPLE. THERE IS YET A TRUTH TO BE UNCOVERED WITH THAT...NAME."

The Dolod may advance a Faith Great Project to gain reliable access to the safe areas of the Guardian Dream.