PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else want a Kaldheim Campaign Setting Book for 5e?

Gyor
2021-01-23, 02:08 PM
Does anyone else want a Kaldheim Campaign Setting Book for 5e?

It just seems to have such interesting lore and characters. Its greatly exceeded my expectations.

P. G. Macer
2021-01-23, 03:46 PM
I don’t play Magic: The Gathering, and my knowledge of the lore is rudimentary, but I am a fan of Norse mythology. That being said, the card set’s come out this year, and I feel it’d be a little too fresh off the heels of Theros for it to be truly palatable for me and I suspect many others.

With Wizards’s claim of three “classic” D&D settings coming back within the next year or two, another MtG setting may come off as a slap in the face to many people, and since according to the WotC Magic website the set releases in 5 days, the community may lose interest in a D&D Kaldheim book by the time it comes out due to the card expansion having passed.

Again, I am not a part of the MtG fandom, so my speculation as to the going-ons on that side of the equation is just that, speculation.

Rule-Of-Three
2021-01-23, 05:33 PM
There has always been a convergence between TTRPGs, viking themes, and metal. Albums reference themes and imagery from fantasy and Norse myth, which in turn inspires characters and campaigns. WotC leaned fully into the link between vikings and metal for the set promotion, and the D&D team is just down the hall from the MtG offices.

Since they started making setting modules for their MtG content, Kaldheim is easily the most worthy for having a port over to the RPG side of the house. Ravnica can feel like Sigil, so it had it's place. I'm biased against Theros; the world and set had limited appeal for me. Kaldheim however should appeal to a much broader set of the player population. I hope they not only produce a setting module, but give it the Eberron treatment and really try to flesh it out.