PDA

View Full Version : Optimization when you lose 12 wizard levels, how to keep a few spells?

newguydude1
2021-01-23, 04:18 PM
at level 13 i wanna use savage species major ritual to sacrifice 12 wizard levels to turn into a succubus. 1st level wizard succubus.

now the problem is 1st level wizard succubus is worthless crap. cant adventure at a lower level because ecl kills xp gain. cant adventure at my ecl because im worthless crap.

but i think i can get away with it if i can keep a few spells with me post level loss to do some really op stuff.

so how to keep some spells?

all the prcs that give me slas are lose upon level loss.
innate spell arguably doesnt work because since you lose the spell slot powering the innate spell, you lose the innate spell.

ive made a thread about spellstitched undead, but i gotta be a succubus not undead. and no i dont want to be an undead succubus. but this is an option i guess. necropolitan succubus is better than nothing i guess.

retraining in precocious apprentice makes sense lore wise because its totally fluffable that i retain one of my spells i used to be able to cast, except its a sidebar feat. my dm said no to all sidebar feats including hidden talent.

since savage speicies major rituals give me access to templates, templates are completely fine. 100%. as long as they have a la therefore is playable, templates are fine.

Calthropstu
2021-01-23, 04:43 PM
Craft Construct. Create a golem to do the fighting for you.
Create scrolls before the ritual to use.
Animate objects + permanency.
Find an alternative method of becoming a succubus keeping the levels. (they exist)
Get a couple staves to use instead of casting.
Go around town after becoming a succubus charming everyone and getting enough people to throw at adventuring problems.
Pun-Pun the problem away.
Get improved familiar with casting ability to cast for you.

newguydude1
2021-01-23, 04:46 PM
Craft Construct. Create a golem to do the fighting for you.
Create scrolls before the ritual to use.
Animate objects + permanency.
Find an alternative method of becoming a succubus keeping the levels. (they exist)
Get a couple staves to use instead of casting.
Go around town after becoming a succubus charming everyone and getting enough people to throw at adventuring problems.
Pun-Pun the problem away.
Get improved familiar with casting ability to cast for you.

i shouldve been more specific.
myself not a minion or magic items.

i already have a mirror mephit. this is me preparing for what happens when the mirror mephit dies and my stuff is all destroyed because reasons. like the bbeg outplayed me and im forced to run to a different plane with no preparation.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-23, 04:49 PM
Well, you'd keep your spellbook, since the spells themselves won't disappear, although you might find your spellbook disappearing via the party's kender thievery.

Isn't there a feat combo that allows you to cheat your way into high level spell slots using low level ones?

Calthropstu
2021-01-23, 04:53 PM
i shouldve been more specific.
myself not a minion or magic items.

i already have a mirror mephit. this is me preparing for what happens when the mirror mephit dies and my stuff is all destroyed because reasons. like the bbeg outplayed me and im forced to run to a different plane with no preparation.

You can keep the spellbook of course. But I can't see any way a 1st lvl wizard can cast 7th level spells. In other words, I'd say you are sol. You are better off planar binding a succubus, using a crystal of true mind switch using umd, then killing her and fleeing the plane.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-23, 04:56 PM
You can keep the spellbook of course. But I can't see any way a 1st lvl wizard can cast 7th level spells. In other words, I'd say you are sol. You are better off planar binding a succubus, using a crystal of true mind switch using umd, then killing her and fleeing the plane.If the OP is an outsider, there's also polymorphing into one.

newguydude1
2021-01-23, 05:01 PM
Well, you'd keep your spellbook, since the spells themselves won't disappear, although you might find your spellbook disappearing via the party's kender thievery.

Isn't there a feat combo that allows you to cheat your way into high level spell slots using low level ones?

every spell ive ever written in my spellbook is a "spell known" to me.

arent there some early access shenanigans that fail because of lack of spell known? like i remember some sorcerers using malconvoker to get spell knowns so they can versatile spellcaster the planar binding spells.

other than versatile spellcaster, what are some other early access shenanigans?

You can keep the spellbook of course. But I can't see any way a 1st lvl wizard can cast 7th level spells. In other words, I'd say you are sol. You are better off planar binding a succubus, using a crystal of true mind switch using umd, then killing her and fleeing the plane.

i know about true mind switch. astral seed and mindswitch is far better. but i wanna use savage species ritual for this one.

Doctor Despair
2021-01-23, 05:21 PM
Craft contingent spell. Make contingent a bunch of spells that trigger upon you saying specific command words. Even after the levels are gone, the spells remain. Use them to win encounters.

2021-01-23, 06:00 PM
1) You've still got 7 HD, so go ahead and have one of your feats be Leadership. Now you have an ECL 11 follower earning you XP.

2) Even if you don't do something like that, you could just go ahead and become a serial killer. A commoner 7 is CR 6, which would earn you 325 XP if you killed them. There's a ~58.59% chance a Thorp will have 1 commoner of at least 7th level for you (including a ~0.39% chance of them having 1 13th and 2 7th, which nets a whole lot more XP). That becomes ~74.22% chance and ~1.95% chance in a Hamlet, ~86.33% and 5.86% in a Village, ~94.14% and ~13.67% in a Small Town, and 100% and ~58.59% in a Large town. In towns and up, though, you have to start worrying about more serious adventurers, so best to stick to smaller communities as you climb up to ECL 14. It gets harder as you level, naturally.

Doctor Despair
2021-01-23, 06:04 PM
2) Even if you don't do something like that, you could just go ahead and become a serial killer. A commoner 7 is CR 6, which would earn you 325 XP if you killed them. There's a ~58.59% chance a Thorp will have 1 commoner of at least 7th level for you (including a ~0.39% chance of them having 1 13th and 2 7th, which nets a whole lot more XP). That becomes ~74.22% chance and ~1.95% chance in a Hamlet, ~86.33% and 5.86% in a Village, ~94.14% and ~13.67% in a Small Town, and 100% and ~58.59% in a Large town. In towns and up, though, you have to start worrying about more serious adventurers, so best to stick to smaller communities as you climb up to ECL 14. It gets harder as you level, naturally.

You know, somehow I've missed the rules that would suggest commoners get to those levels. For some reason I had it in my head that commoners would all be like four and under or something to that effect.

2021-01-23, 06:07 PM
You know, somehow I've missed the rules that would suggest commoners get to those levels. For some reason I had it in my head that commoners would all be like four and under or something to that effect.

I mean those rules aren't really great for a whole bunch of reasons, and "the highest level characters in town are always commoners" is just one of them. Heck, any given metropolis has a ~99.55% of having at least one epic commoner.

newguydude1
2021-01-23, 06:13 PM
1) You've still got 7 HD, so go ahead and have one of your feats be Leadership. Now you have an ECL 11 follower earning you XP.

leadership means i gotta get my dm to draw up a cohort for me. all the official d&d modules ive seen had something like "if the pcs have leadership, then he can choose a cohort from these npcs". so its not that good.

while its a decent strategy for the serial killer its not what im looking for. base succubus with her charm monster sla can charm herself an army and adventure with that to half a degree. cause dispel magic, magic circle, break enchantment, and mountains and mountains of other stuff will just ruin my entire strategy.

im not looking for how to level up or adventure with a 1st level wizard succubus. im looking for a way to retain some high level spells. like spell stitched.

thanks for the post though.

TalonOfAnathrax
2021-01-23, 06:15 PM
I can't think of any good ways to get high-level spells apart from simply crafting a bunch of stuff before you lose all those levels. If you're shuffling Feats around, you could maybe try to grab a few mid-level spell slots with Heighten + metamagic reducers + Extra Slot? You're unlikely to get more than a single slot though, and there's not much you can do with it anyway.

Honestly, if you want to adventure as a succubus, you should shift focus entirely. If you will be getting the SLAs of a succubus, there's definitely stuff to work with there. You're eligible for Mindsight, and with at-will charm monster, suggestion, etheral jaunt, greater teleport & change shape you can definitely get some amazing scouting done. To be relevant in combat, I suggest you increase the DCs of those mind-control powers. How about Vow of Nonviolence? Boost-Spell-like Ability? Heighten Spell-like Ability to raise your suggestion DC?
Otherwise, well... Spend feats on Heighten Spell + Metamagic School Focus, and enter Nar Demonbinder next level? That would immediately give you level 4 spells (yo can expand that spell list a bit with bloodline feats or whatever, and it's already a reasonable spell list as is). Or maybe you can enter it right now: don't keep any wizard levels, use Dark Chaos Shuffle to completely change your feats and get Magical Training + Heighten Spell + School Focus + Metamagic School Focus, and then enter Nar Demonbinder as soon as you're done with your racial HD.

But yes, there is a reason why these race-changing rituals are suboptimal. If you want to be a succubus that's a valid character concept, but maybe beg your GM to let you buy off LA and keep more caster levels? Or use the Pathfinder "Wizard Creature" Template and advance using Outsider racial HD with a bit of casting tacked on? And if you just want to trick and mind-control foes, maybe use Planar Binding spells to summon a succubus or two? Hunt down the name of a powerful succubus (with extra HD or class levels) and bind it as your servant?

Doctor Despair
2021-01-23, 06:16 PM
leadership means i gotta get my dm to draw up a cohort for me. all the official d&d modules ive seen had something like "if the pcs have leadership, then he can choose a cohort from these npcs". so its not that good.

while its a decent strategy for the serial killer its not what im looking for. base succubus with her charm monster sla can charm herself an army and adventure with that to half a degree. cause dispel magic, magic circle, break enchantment, and mountains and mountains of other stuff will just ruin my entire strategy.

im not looking for how to level up or adventure with a 1st level wizard succubus. im looking for a way to retain some high level spells. like spell stitched.

thanks for the post though.

Craft automatically resetting spell-traps using your higher-level spells, then carry them around when you're low-leveled again.

newguydude1
2021-01-23, 06:28 PM
Craft contingent spell. Make contingent a bunch of spells that trigger upon you saying specific command words. Even after the levels are gone, the spells remain. Use them to win encounters.

i forgot to respond to this sorry. its not renewable especially after the change because it has a cl11 prerequisite. im looking for something like precocious apprentice.

Craft automatically resetting spell-traps using your higher-level spells, then carry them around when you're low-leveled again.

still a magic item. its not me its my magic item. unless i can create the magic item even after i transform its not what im looking for in this thread. sorry.

i could just like everyone says craft a thousand scrolls before transforming and then have those thousand scrolls carry me until epic level. but im not looking for that.

something like precocious apprentice and spellstitched is what im looking for. former is a sidebar feat, the latter is my last resort because i need to be undead and i dont like undead.

Extra Slot?

omg this is great! unless im wrong.

Prerequisite
Caster level 4th,

Benefit
You gain one extra spell slot in your daily allotment, at any level up to one lower than the highest level of spell you can currently cast. For example, a 4th-level sorcerer (maximum spell level 2nd) gains either an extra 0-level or 1stlevel slot, and is able to cast any spell he knows of the chosen level one more time each day. Likewise, a 4th-level wizard can prepare any extra 0-level or 1st-level spell he knows. Once selected, the extra spell slot never changes level.

you lose the benefit of the feat when you no longer qualify for the prerequisite. but succubi have caster level 12! so i dont lose the benefit of the feat!
and unlike innate spell you dont need anything to power the feat.

so the only problem is the highest level spell slot i can get for my 6hd feat is 2nd level, unless i dcsf the extra slot feat in at 13 which makes it 6th level.

this is brilliant! thanks!

Honestly, if you want to adventure as a succubus, you should shift focus entirely.

i want to adventure as a succubus who spams free simulacra.

But yes, there is a reason why these race-changing rituals are suboptimal.

this is the reason im going the race change ritual instead of astral seed+mind switch. i am very power gamey as it is. mirror mephit, and if you saw some of the other threads, using changelings minor change shape with assume supernatural ability call ruin elemental. so to show i am not doing it for the power but for the simulacrum, im going a suboptimal thing that kills my spellcasting so i become a one trick pony who doesnt overshadow the rest of his party members for the later half of the game.

InvisibleBison
2021-01-23, 09:14 PM
so the only problem is the highest level spell slot i can get for my 6hd feat is 2nd level, unless i dcsf the extra slot feat in at 13 which makes it 6th level.

If you intend to actually cast 6th level spells out of that slot, you should check with your DM to see how he interprets the minimum caster level rule. A restrictive reading would require you to have a wizard caster level of 11 to cast 6th level wizard spells, which while probably not impossible to obtain would be another hurdle you'd have to deal with to make this work.

Doctor Despair
2021-01-23, 09:23 PM
If you intend to actually cast 6th level spells out of that slot, you should check with your DM to see how he interprets the minimum caster level rule. A restrictive reading would require you to have a wizard caster level of 11 to cast 6th level wizard spells, which while probably not impossible to obtain would be another hurdle you'd have to deal with to make this work.

You could take the feat twice to get two spellslots at that level, then use the specific text of Versatile Spellcaster to trade them in for one 7th level spell.

newguydude1
2021-01-23, 09:40 PM

im fully aware of the minimum caster level rule and i dont plan on trying to lawyer my way out. in my opinion for base classes like wizard minimum caster level rule is clear and in full effect.

practiced spellcaster (+4) so im cl 5. so thats 3rd level spells.
adept spirit boosts it to cl6.
suffer the flesh boosts it by +3 for cl 9

so thats 5th level spells. but the problem is i need to use two 6th level slots to cast adept spirit and suffer the flesh. but i think i can make it work
1 practiced spellcaster
wizard1 spell mastery. dcsf in so i have 7 high level spells mastered instead of 1st level spells
flaw1 extra slot
flaw1 extra slot
3 extra slot
6 extra slot

i might put in uncanny forethought so i have access to all my spells and not just the 7 i chose for spell mastery
i might need to grab extend spell.
but its tight. im still figuring this stuff out.

and in case anyone asks, no dcsf racial bonus feats or otyugh hole and stuff like that. feats selected at level up only or my dm punches me in the face.

Remuko
2021-01-24, 02:07 PM
omg this is great! unless im wrong.

you lose the benefit of the feat when you no longer qualify for the prerequisite. but succubi have caster level 12! so i dont lose the benefit of the feat!
and unlike innate spell you dont need anything to power the feat.

so the only problem is the highest level spell slot i can get for my 6hd feat is 2nd level

this is brilliant! thanks!

Now I'm far from the cleverest person on this sub-forum but the pre-req is only caster level 4, which you retain. The highest level slot you can get, is not a pre-req and thus shouldnt matter afterwards. So if you took the extra slots before changing into a succubus, you should (imo via RAW) retain them as a level 1 Succubus Wizard. You meet the caster level req. You have Wizard spells, and the feat should still give you wizard spell slots you had before the change, I think?

Crake
2021-01-24, 02:46 PM

Yes indeed there is! The extra slot feat's maximum slot level is determined by the highest level spell you can cast. Ramp that up through external means and you can progressively give yourself higher and higher spell slots. Notable ways to increase spell levels is earth spell +heighten spell for +1 free level, versatile spellcaster can give you an extra level on heighten as well (up to 9th level), snowcasting gives you +1 spell level if you cast a [Cold] spell with some snow as an extra material component, and sanctum spell gives you +1 spell level if you're inside your sanctum. As far as I'm aware, these are the feat-based, class/race independant methods of artificially boosting your maximum spell level, and if you have all four, you can use the extra slot feat to gain a spell slot 3 levels above your highest spell slot. Once you get 8th level spell slots, you can then use DCFS to swap out all the now unneeded feats for more useful ones, but remember to keep at least 1 of them to self-qualify for your highest extra slot feat.

Also note that this doesn't boost your CL in any way, so if you only have 1 level in wizard, you may have access to 9th level spells, but they'll still be only CL1, or CL5 if you get practised spellcaster. Matters in some cases, doesn't in others.

Personally i find this trick works best with the chameleon class, as each slot gained is actually 2 slots when you get the dual focus class feature, and the chameleon's caster level is two per class level, so it scales much better. Also because the chameleon's floating bonus feat allows you to leapfrog with the extra slots much faster. You can, in theory, with 2 flaws get 9th level spells at level 9 with the chameleon, and dual 9s at 12th level. Chameleons can also, once they hit 9th level spells, then start using the extra spell feat with their floating bonus feat to scribe a new arcane spell into their spellbook every day, and their divine focus gives them access to all divine spells, so by level 12 they can access and cast literally every spell in the game. Bonus points if one of your pre-chameleon levels was an eidetic wizard, allowing you to have your entire spellbook memorized, so you can't lose your spellbook.

Edit: Since the character in the OP IS descended from humans, they could in theory pick up the human heritage feat, get able learner, and start going into chameleon instead of wizard levels. 7 levels of chameleon makes a succubus ECL 19, with CL 14 and dual 9s with the right feat combos

newguydude1
2021-01-24, 02:52 PM
Yes indeed there is! The extra slot feat's maximum slot level is determined by the highest level spell you can cast. Ramp that up through external means and you can progressively give yourself higher and higher spell slots. Notable ways to increase spell levels is earth spell +heighten spell for +1 free level, versatile spellcaster can give you an extra level on heighten as well (up to 9th level), snowcasting gives you +1 spell level if you cast a [Cold] spell with some snow as an extra material component, and sanctum spell gives you +1 spell level if you're inside your sanctum. As far as I'm aware, these are the feat-based, class/race independant methods of artificially boosting your maximum spell level, and if you have all four, you can use the extra slot feat to gain a spell slot 3 levels above your highest spell slot. Once you get 8th level spell slots, you can then use DCFS to swap out all the now unneeded feats for more useful ones, but remember to keep at least 1 of them to self-qualify for your highest extra slot feat.

Also note that this doesn't boost your CL in any way, so if you only have 1 level in wizard, you may have access to 9th level spells, but they'll still be only CL1, or CL5 if you get practised spellcaster. Matters in some cases, doesn't in others.

Personally i find this trick works best with the chameleon class, as each slot gained is actually 2 slots when you get the dual focus class feature, and the chameleon's caster level is two per class level, so it scales much better. Also because the chameleon's floating bonus feat allows you to leapfrog with the extra slots much faster. You can, in theory, with 2 flaws get 9th level spells at level 9 with the chameleon, and dual 9s at 12th level. Chameleons can also, once they hit 9th level spells, then start using the extra spell feat with their floating bonus feat to scribe a new arcane spell into their spellbook every day, and their divine focus gives them access to all divine spells, so by level 12 they can access and cast literally every spell in the game. Bonus points if one of your pre-chameleon levels was an eidetic wizard, allowing you to have your entire spellbook memorized, so you can't lose your spellbook.

so your saying a 3rd level illumian wizard2/cleric1 with heighten spell can get a 8th level slot at 3rd level? and if he has some way of boosting his cl he can choose greater planar binding as one of his level up spells?

Crake
2021-01-24, 02:58 PM
so your saying a 3rd level illumian wizard2/cleric1 with heighten spell can get a 8th level slot at 3rd level? and if he has some way of boosting his cl he can choose greater planar binding as one of his level up spells?

I'd have to math it out, I'm not sure if you can get that high that early, specifically because the extra slot feat requires CL 4 to actually pick up, so you can't actually start the spell slot leap frogging until after that point.

aglondier
2021-01-24, 05:59 PM
While you are still 13th level, craft a few toys.

Craft Wondrous Item + Scribe Scroll = Infinite Scroll. A robust "scroll" that you can use 1/day containing all those utility spells that were never important enough to keep memorised. Making the Command Word spell item effectively spell completion should be enough of a limitation to earn a 30% discount. You "know" the spells, even if you can't cast them yourself after the change. Get enough of these and you can bind them into a poor mans "book of infinite spells".

Craft Wondrous Item + Craft Wand = Infinite Wand. Again a Command Word spell, usable 1/round. Magic Missile is a good choice. A caster level of 9 gets you 5 missiles that never miss every round. A second "wand" with Fireball and a limitation of 3 uses per day makes for an excellent backup, at a very reasonable price.

Craft Wondrous Item. A combination of Gloves of Storing and something of Recall, carved or tattooed onto your hands and linked to your "book of infinite spells" and your "wands". Basically, anytime you let go of your gear it returns to the storage in your hands, and can be willed back any time ypu need them. Having several "wands" with a uses/day limitation increases your versatility. Having them instantly return to your extradimensional storage allows you to drop-and-draw as needed.

Crake
2021-01-24, 11:35 PM
While you are still 13th level, craft a few toys.

Craft Wondrous Item + Scribe Scroll = Infinite Scroll. A robust "scroll" that you can use 1/day containing all those utility spells that were never important enough to keep memorised. Making the Command Word spell item effectively spell completion should be enough of a limitation to earn a 30% discount. You "know" the spells, even if you can't cast them yourself after the change. Get enough of these and you can bind them into a poor mans "book of infinite spells".

Craft Wondrous Item + Craft Wand = Infinite Wand. Again a Command Word spell, usable 1/round. Magic Missile is a good choice. A caster level of 9 gets you 5 missiles that never miss every round. A second "wand" with Fireball and a limitation of 3 uses per day makes for an excellent backup, at a very reasonable price.

Craft Wondrous Item. A combination of Gloves of Storing and something of Recall, carved or tattooed onto your hands and linked to your "book of infinite spells" and your "wands". Basically, anytime you let go of your gear it returns to the storage in your hands, and can be willed back any time ypu need them. Having several "wands" with a uses/day limitation increases your versatility. Having them instantly return to your extradimensional storage allows you to drop-and-draw as needed.

These all sound like custom items that would require DM approval.

aglondier
2021-01-25, 12:04 AM
These all sound like custom items that would require DM approval.

...and burning 12 wizard levels to become a succubus doesn't???

Crake
2021-01-25, 12:31 AM
...and burning 12 wizard levels to become a succubus doesn't???

No more than anything else official. Savage species rituals are official rules, those custom items are not.

aglondier
2021-01-25, 12:42 AM
No more than anything else official. Savage species rituals are official rules, those custom items are not.

I am absolutely appalled. To think that all this time I was under the impression that the item creation rules were an official part of the officially printed Dungeon Masters Guide...I guess my copy of it must be some sort of adulterated dogend...oh the shame of it all...

Crake
2021-01-25, 11:18 AM
I am absolutely appalled. To think that all this time I was under the impression that the item creation rules were an official part of the officially printed Dungeon Masters Guide...I guess my copy of it must be some sort of adulterated dogend...oh the shame of it all...

There are no item creation rules, only item creation guidelines. The guidlines even specifically say not to treat them as gospel, and that every new item should be judged on it's individual merits and priced accordingly.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-25, 11:38 AM
Maybe see if you can take levels in a succubus savage progression, starting where you are? You wouldn't further progress wizard, but you'd keep what you already have, and mid-level wizard is easily enough to counter large swathes of high level enemies, especially with enough optimization. Focus your feats on making your casting better, and use what you have intelligently.

Also see if you can take an altered progression that reduces the LA the progression has. It's not like LAs aren't massively, hugely overinflated, or anything.

How about gestalt? Ask your DM if you can willingly take a +2 LA hit (that can't be bought off) to simply gestalt your current levels with succubus and any future levels you get.

Doctor Despair
2021-01-25, 11:40 AM
Maybe see if you can take levels in a succubus savage progression, starting where you are? You wouldn't further progress wizard, but you'd keep what you already have, and mid-level wizard is easily enough to counter large swathes of high level enemies, especially with enough optimization. Focus your feats on making your casting better, and use what you have intelligently.

Also see if you can take an altered progression that reduces the LA the progression has. It's not like LAs aren't massively, hugely overinflated, or anything.

How about gestalt? Ask your DM if you can willingly take a +2 LA hit (that can't be bought off) to simply gestalt your current levels with succubus and any future levels you get.

It sounds like OP needs it to be online from this level for a party, and wants to be a succubus during gameplay. OP's DM also auto-vetos anything that isn't strict RAW, so overinflated LA is probably here to stay. :/

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-25, 11:42 AM
It sounds like OP needs it to be online from this level for a party, and wants to be a succubus during gameplay. OP's DM also auto-vetos anything that isn't strict RAW, so overinflated LA is probably here to stay. :/You...can't go 100% RAW, on any game. The game just doesn't function if you do. And the role of the DM is to adjudicate rules and houserule where needed to make things work.

A DM who doesn't do that might as well be replaced with some campaign modules and Deep Blue.

newguydude1
2021-01-25, 03:09 PM
You...can't go 100% RAW, on any game. The game just doesn't function if you do. And the role of the DM is to adjudicate rules and houserule where needed to make things work.

A DM who doesn't do that might as well be replaced with some campaign modules and Deep Blue.

my dm is 100% raw or die and asks us just not to do things that unbalance the game.

the best our table can do is ubercharger/mailman stuff. but no one goes mailman. dmm nightsticks doesnt really work cause dispel magic is very prominent

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-01-25, 03:17 PM
my dm is 100% raw or die and asks us just not to do things that unbalance the game.

the best our table can do is ubercharger/mailman stuff. but no one goes mailman. dmm nightsticks doesnt really work cause dispel magic is very prominentWhat happens if a character is below 0 hp and dying, and you dunk his head in a bucket of water to heal him?

newguydude1
2021-01-25, 03:45 PM
What happens if a character is below 0 hp and dying, and you dunk his head in a bucket of water to heal him?

no one does that at our table so it doesnt matter.

2021-01-25, 05:12 PM

I...guess that's one way to DM 3.5: "you can only do what's possible in RAW, but also don't do anything broken". Just put all the responsibility for balancing the game on the players, and just whip out the banhammer as needed.

Crake
2021-01-25, 05:36 PM
I...guess that's one way to DM 3.5: "you can only do what's possible in RAW, but also don't do anything broken". Just put all the responsibility for balancing the game on the players, and just whip out the banhammer as needed.

Wait, you guys don't do this?

Darg
2021-01-25, 08:15 PM
Something that hasn't been said, but if you wait until 14th to take a level in Archmage, you could permanently use extra slot feat's slot to power a spell-like ability high arcana. Would get you an extra use out of the slot.

Crake
2021-01-25, 10:58 PM
Something that hasn't been said, but if you wait until 14th to take a level in Archmage, you could permanently use extra slot feat's slot to power a spell-like ability high arcana. Would get you an extra use out of the slot.

Except you'd lose the feat slot for extra slot when you lose the levels, not to mention the archmage levels.