PDA

View Full Version : Morgoth Bauglir vs Shai'tan

Executor
2007-11-07, 10:07 AM
What if Morgoth Bauglir, the original Dark Lord of Middle-Earth, in his form of highest power in the First Age, with the maximum amount of resources available to him, (Balrogs, Silmarils, Sauron, Dragons) was to make war on Shai'tan, the Dark One of the Wheel of Time, at the height of his power with all his Forsaken and other unholy abombinations? Who would come out victorious?

I've been wondering this ever since I read the Silmarillion and the Wheel of Time. Both Morgoth and the Dark One are gods of evil, with nigh unlimited resources. Who could win in such a war?

WalkingTarget
2007-11-07, 10:11 AM
They're essentially the same thing. I think it'd be hard to make direct comparisons.

Shishnarfne
2007-11-07, 10:11 AM
I'm gonna take Morgoth on this one: he had stronger opposition. I'm a fairly strong Wheel of Time fan, but I think that the Dark One is out of his(?) league here.

Executor
2007-11-07, 10:14 AM
I'm kind of leaning towards a similar conclusion. Morgoth has corrupted Maiar like Sauron (most of them Dark Lords in their own right), Wraiths, Werewolves, Dragons, Balrogs, Orcs, Wargs, Trolls and other unnamed abominations in numbers innumerable. The Dark One has Forsaken, Myrddraal, Draghkar and Trollocs.

SITB
2007-11-07, 10:38 AM
Shai'tan, if he escapes his prison, has the power to unmake and remake reality. Unless I'm mistaken in LOTR, only the over-god can do this. So Shai'tan wins if he is free.

But in terms of army strength Morgoth Bauglir wins hands down.

Shishnarfne
2007-11-07, 02:16 PM
Shai'tan, if he escapes his prison, has the power to unmake and remake reality. Unless I'm mistaken in LOTR, only the over-god can do this. So Shai'tan wins if he is free.

But in terms of army strength Morgoth Bauglir wins hands down.

Alright, this is where we get into the question in WoT as to what exactly the Dark One intends: if it appears that, in accordance with popular theory, he does intend to do so (and can do so, a more important qualification), perhaps greater ultimate strength.
However, one constant of that world (and all parallel worlds) is that the Dark One remains bound. So, it doesn't make much sense to me to talk about an unbound manifestation of the Dark One.
So, I'll give the argument that anyone who can be defeated by one hundred mortals loses to someone who can convince numerous Maiar to turn to darkness (IIRC, that's how you get a Balrog).

SITB
2007-11-07, 04:29 PM
At that time he was still, y'know, inside the prison that he was banished to by the entity that created the world.

And if merely the weakning of the prison causes the world to unravel unintentionally then yes, he is that powerful.

Not to mention that the one hidden constant for all worlds is that they are accessible by the using the One power and it continues to work there. Implying that all the worlds the travelling stones links are still connected to one meta-verse where the Creator bound Shai'tan.

Indon
2007-11-07, 05:03 PM
So it seems that this fight can't really take place.

Shai'tan is an evil created on a scale vastly greater than that of Morgoth; however, the possibility of a fight requires Shai'tan to be reduced in power to significantly less than that of Morgoth's.

Grishnakh
2007-11-07, 05:21 PM
I think that if you count all resources and their influence on things, that Morgoth would win a battle. However, Shai'tan always seemed to me more a representation of the essence of evil, meaning that so long as there is any evil in the world he has power. Looking at it from this angle Shai'tan as the essence of evil will win in the long run from Morgoth who is (for all his powers and him being a god) still only a person.

WalkingTarget
2007-11-08, 09:30 AM
I think that if you count all resources and their influence on things, that Morgoth would win a battle. However, Shai'tan always seemed to me more a representation of the essence of evil, meaning that so long as there is any evil in the world he has power. Looking at it from this angle Shai'tan as the essence of evil will win in the long run from Morgoth who is (for all his powers and him being a god) still only a person.

Well, all the evil in Arda is a result of Morgoth's influence. Even after he was kicked out of the universe the evil remains.

Randland: Shai'tan trapped outside of reality, evils in the world are a result of his influence (or at the very least, the shadow-tainted brand of evil). Sealing him up resulted in the Breaking of the World.

Arda: Morgoth trapped outside of reality, evils of the world are a result of his attempts to change the tune that created the world. The War of Wrath resulted in the destruction of Beleriand.

If we're talking physical manifestations, I'd take the Dark Lord of Utumno over Shaidar Haran any day (I know, I know, the latter is only speculation, we'll see what happens if Memory of Light ever gets published).