PDA

View Full Version : Carrion Crown [IC]

NikolaTesla
2021-01-23, 09:05 PM
https://i.imgur.com/iwGv6Z6.png

Starday morning, 18 Calistril, 4711 AR

Funerals are usually somber occasions, but the light drizzle wetting the gentle hills of eastern Ustalav leant the morning an even more dour mood. Ahead, a small party gathers around a wagon hearse outside The Restlands, Ravengro's cemetery. Most of the graves seem nondescript, though perhaps that's only due to the haze of rain. As each of you approach, you can see that the coffin is kept closed, but its lavishly decorated exterior almost makes up for the missing view of Professor Lorrimor: silver spirals envelop the coffin, seeming to meld with the darkly colored hardwood as if they grew within the tree itself.

A young woman in a finely decorated but conservatively cut dress steps forward to greet you when you arrive, and introduces herself as Kendra Lorrimor, the late Professor's daughter: http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/52609/Kendra_Lorrimor.jpg

"Thank you for coming to my father's funeral. I was beginning to worry that none of his friends from outside Ravengro would come. Seems even those snobs at Lepidstadt University couldn't spare the trip..." Kendra's voice cracks slightly at the end, but apparently she's already had some time to come to terms with her father's death and quickly regains control. "While we wait for noon, allow me to introduce you to the best of Ravengro, who have come to mourn my father's passing with me."

With that, she introduces you to the five others there, including:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fdb4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net%2Fim ages%2F994856%2Fhearthmount.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg06.deviantart.net%2F5b63%2Fi%2F 2012%2F288%2Fa%2Fa%2Fpathfinder__gharen_muricar_by _redscriptus-d5hvzjj.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsites.google.com%2Fsite%2Fpathfin deraustin%2FZokar.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ft11.deviantart.net%2F9kQV_EA01YC4 gnELFgW-qYYIe5A%3D%2F300x200%2Ffilters%3Afixed_height(100% 2C100)%3Aorigin()%2Fpre03%2F4bab%2Fth%2Fpre%2Ff%2F 2012%2F288%2F9%2Fb%2Fpathfinder__pevrin_elkarid_by _redscriptus-d5hvz2r.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Ft03.deviantart.net%2FSsEzbtgSKxwxH PpnQGQCu471fdM%3D%2F300x200%2Ffilters%3Afixed_heig ht(100%2C100)%3Aorigin()%2Fpre08%2F60d6%2Fth%2Fpre %2Ff%2F2012%2F288%2F3%2F5%2Fpathfinder__jominda_fa llenbridge_by_redscriptus-d5hvzfz.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Once you have all arrived, noon approaches and and Kendra asks for at least 4 people to be pall-bearers. None of the townsfolk seem particularly keen on the idea, but you might be able to convince 1 or 2 of the stronger ones to help. Please decide amongst yourselves who will be pall-bearers. Feel free to give brief introductions to Kendra and each other; if you'd like to share more in depth stories about your character's connection to Professor Lorrimor you will have the opportunity to do so later.

Skill Prompts (Maximum of 1 type of roll for each):

What's up with the silver spirals? K. Religion DC 5, K. Local DC 10, K., Lore Burials DC 10, Spellcraft DC 25
Why is the casket closed? K. Local DC 12, K. Religion DC 15, Lore Burials DC 15
Convince a townsperson to help carry the casket: Diplomacy DC 20ish, Intimidate DC 25ish
Why are the people of Ravengro so reticent to help? Sense Motive DC 10

Spore
2021-01-24, 10:38 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Nju9UCs.jpg
Dragoslav Cutov (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2375469)
Human Gravedigger Investigator
AC: 17 HP: 10/10
touch: 11 ff: 16 CMD: 15
Conditions: -

The cold rain drizzles onto a huge hunched man dressed in a brown traveller's coat. Atop his bald head is a grey cylinder that clashes with the rough almost orcish features of the man wearing it. If the day wasn't as sad, his appearance would stand out as he looks like he has been haunted for years by something he experienced. But currently he looked like he belonged here. Leaning onto a bent old shovel, he does not look like a man meant to join the funeral party, but the one that stays back with on the graveyard burying the deceased.

And those who knew Dragoslav knew he would be honored to make sure his grave was secure and well-tended. He owed much to the professor. Drago bowed and nodded to show his acceptance to be a pallbearer. He would carry the professor and his coffin on his own if need be, but this would not be as dignified if four people were doing this. He looks around looking for other volunteers, avoiding the local nobility.

What's up with the silver spirals? Know Religion: worst result I can get is 7, so no roll here.
Why is the casket closed? Know Local: [roll0]
Why are the people of Ravengro so reticent to help? Sense Motive: [roll1]

NikolaTesla
2021-01-24, 12:13 PM
Drago’s skill check results. If the rest of you roll these and succeed, feel free to look here:

The spiral is a holy symbol of Pharasma; a fitting decoration for a coffin. The silver material is probably meant to ward off certain foul creatures, though whether that’s actually an effective countermeasure against them or just Ustalavic superstition you’re not sure.

Ustalavic tradition dictates that a corpse should be kept in the light as much as possible before burial in the dark; hence the tradition of burials at noon. Even in the rain, the casket would normally be open. Baring plague, a closed casket can only mean one thing: a horribly mutilated body.

All of the townsfolk seem very anxious about being here at The Restlands for the funeral. They probably consider showing up an act of bravery.

Farmerbink
2021-01-24, 09:33 PM
A tall and well-toned man with shoulder length black hair is the next to arrive. At first, it's difficult to be sure he's a man, as his features are smooth, impeccably clean-cut, and perhaps a hair on the feminine side. When he speaks a few moments later, however, it is with a rich and comforting baritone voice that fills the air with an energy commanding attention. He paces close enough to look into the casket and scowls suddenly. A deep frown grows on his otherwise attractive features as he considers the significance, and he lovingly traces a few of the silver spirals engraved on its surface. Finally, he approaches Kendra with an air of nobility or perhaps celebrity- though he manages to make it seem fitting despite the weather and the locale. "Of course, miss Lorrimor. It's truly the least I could do. The professor was my dearest friend. I could never abide any less." He actually chuckles a bit at her commentary of the academics her father knew well. "I think you said it best, dear. Snobs."

He immediately turns to the gathered councilmen and others, inclining his head respectfully. Noting their obvious discomfort, he goes out of his way to try and make everyone feel more at ease; using high speech and formalities with the councilmen (until or unless their behavior suggests they would appreciate otherwise) and more neighborly talk with the craftsmen and simpler folk.

"Pleased to meet you, Master Hearthmount. Master Muricar." His attention to the tavern keeper is only slightly less deferential- instead offering a friendly and rougher greeting. "I wish it were better circumstances, but I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, Mister Elkarid. Perhaps we'll share a toast over dinner soon." He nods to the boy with a conspiratorial wink. "Good man, starting his father's work so young." And finally, to the apothecary, he bows low to take and kiss her hand, "Madam Fallenbridge." He rubs elbows and hobs nobs with the gathered "best of Ravengro," after greeting the Orcish man politely, "Another friend of the Professor? We'll have to talk sometime." He then takes several minutes to pay his respects to the Professor, apparently well and truly lost in thought.

At mention of pallbearer, Elian blanches a bit- in embarrassment? "I would be honored above all, Miss Lorrimor. I fear I may not be the best choice, however. Please don't misunderstand, I'm happy to help, but carrying heavy wooden boxes is not one of my stronger suits. Ah, Mister Elkarid! Surely you would come to the aid of an orphaned daughter in need?"Posted OOC. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24898930&postcount=10) Cleared the first three, and rolled a 25 to convince one of the townsfolk to serve as pallbearer.

doko239
2021-01-25, 03:07 PM
A tall, lanky man in dark travelling clothes stands apart from the rest of the group, leaning against a nearby tree and watching the proceedings from afar. One might think him a disinterested bystander, were it not for the set of his jaw and the hard, pained look in his eyes. Any who speak to him receive polite but curt responses, and his gaze remains fixed on the casket at all times.

What's up with the silver spirals? Knowledge: Religion DC5 auto-success (+6 modifier)
Why is the casket closed? Knowledge: Religion [roll0]
Why are the people of Ravengro so reticent to help? Sense Motive [roll1]

matpal93
2021-01-25, 06:33 PM
Just a few minutes before the funeral is set to start, a wagon pulls up to the edge of the graveyard just long enough for a man in a dark blue travelling cloak and backpack to hop out before the driver heads off as quickly as the horses can carry him. With a short, futile wave after the disappearing wagon, the cloaked man turns, holding his cloak tightly to him as he walks through the wet graveyard. underneath the wet hood, the mourners can see short-cut dark brown hair framing a bronzed face and deep purple eyes. The cloak itself is of good quality, though simply and functional in design. A large silver compass engraved with several stars hangs off the man's belt, shining droplets of water falling off from it into the mud below. He approaches the gathering around the casket, then says to Kendra "Lady Lorrimor, Hardor of house Sentas at your service. I apologize for my tardiness. I left as soon as I got your letter, but it was harder to find anything faster than a wagon after Caliphas."

When Kendra asks for volunteer pallbearers, Hardor hesitates, then replies "Not really my strong suit, but if there's no one else, I'll do it. I can't think of a more eloquent way to repay some of his kindness to me."

matpal93
2021-01-25, 06:44 PM
Why is the casket closed? Knowledge (religion) [roll0]
Why are the people of Ravengro so reticent to help? Sense Motive [roll1]

DarkOne-Rob
2021-01-25, 07:47 PM
The tall, ginger-haired half-elf in matte-black studded leather armor with the blue spiral of Pharasma on his tunic steps forward, seeing that the last position on the coffin needs filling. With a smile that looks natural but tinged with sadness he says, "Well met, all, on this mournful day. Would that we were here on a happier errand. My name is Kristoph, and I will gladly help carry our late friend to his resting place. Miss Lorrimor, please accept my condolences for your father's passing - we are all lessened by it." As he takes his place he traces the spiral on his breast, eyes closed and muttering a prayer for the deceased.

Diplomacy [roll0] to improve attitudes of NPCs.
Knowledge (Religion) [roll1] as appropriate.
Sense Motive [roll2]

As a devout worshipper of Pharasma, I figure he knows some of this as a matter of course, but also figure a roll is appropriate.

Spore
2021-01-25, 11:06 PM

Drago looks at the newcomers and nods slightly at the lot of them. You can tell social grace is not his strong suit. He lurks around the coffin, inspecting it and considering lifting the lid, but he decides otherwise.

I see your symbol matches that on the coffin and that of Pharasma, Kristoph. I wager you are the one they sent to see our common friend off? Without waiting for an answer, Drago's inquisitive mind continues. Now humor me for a moment, you all. These are the Restlands, a graveyard famously tended to by Pharasma's best. There is nothing that could prevent people from showing up. And there is nothing that should prevent Lorrimor from receiving the proper rites. Unless...

He turns to Kendra with a sorrowful countenance. Can you tell us what happened? The locals are anxious about attending, and this area should be safe. I am sorry for circumventing social norms, but Professor Lorrimor was no mamn that would simply die that easily.

Farmerbink
2021-01-26, 12:18 PM
Elian winces as Drago goes about stomping all over the social norms and niceties, almost as if in actual physical pain. "Ah, if I may, Miss Lorrimor?" At her acquiescence, he gently reaches out to pull the investigator aside. [

"There are, ah, few reasons for things to progress this way, none of them pleasant," he whispers, just far enough away to insulate the young woman from the immediate conversation. "It's quite likely that our late mutual friend is in, shall we say, poor state? I think it would do none of us any good to look upon him, as his body is no doubt grossly damaged. Surely, Miss Lorrimor will want to share the weight of her burdens, but I think this isn't the time, yeah? Customs insist she invite us to her home this evening, where there will be ample opportunity for whatever discussions we desire."

The lithe man nods urgently to the stone-faced investigator, desperately willing him to understand and be nice about it. "I'm as curious as you," he admits. He frowns and gestures close to his chest, nonetheless encompassing the whole scene around them; "There is something very amiss about all this."

DarkOne-Rob
2021-01-26, 05:16 PM
I see your symbol matches that on the coffin and that of Pharasma, Kristoph. I wager you are the one they sent to see our common friend off?
Kristoph's sad smile falters a bit. The otherworldly half-elf shakes his head and is about to answer when the other man asks Kendra Lorrimor about her late father. For a moment his expression turns to a scowl before Elian pulls the other man aside. With a nod he waits for the two to return to the coffin before speaking. "I did not catch your name, good sir. I do worship the Lady of Graves and recognize those who honor her today. However, the Church is not likely to direct me to represent them anytime soon. I am considered...odd I suppose. It isn't my intent to embarrass them, but I seem to do so anyway.

No, the late Professor and I met on the road once and camped together out of convenience and mutual need. We were accosted by mindless undead and I might have died that night if not for his expertise. I owe him my life - it is only fitting I honor him in death. Pharasma wills it." With a sigh he gestures to the coffin and asks everyone, "Shall we begin the sad walk?"

matpal93
2021-01-26, 06:28 PM
Hardor nods, then stands up and takes his place at the rear of the casket. As the mage helps carry the professor to his final rest, he struggles visibly, but doesn't make a sound of complaint.

Farmerbink
2021-01-26, 06:37 PM
Elian seems content to let the tavern-keeper take his place, and follows just behind the casket. At the first sign of Hardor's struggles, he steps up close behind him. "May I?" he whispers, indicating willingness to assist, but acknowledging the necessity to somewhat invade the other man's personal space.

If agreeable, Elian will move close to Hardor and between the two of them, I figure they can hold up one corner respectably.

matpal93
2021-01-26, 06:52 PM
After considering for a brief moment, Elian hears a grunting, though still muted response. "Sure."

NikolaTesla
2021-01-27, 02:29 AM
Noon, 18 Calistril, 4711 AR
Party Trust Score: 20

The councilmen are both reserved in their responses to Elian's greeting, though the demeanor seems unnatural for councilman Muricar. Kendra waits patiently for Elian to finish giving Drago an earful, but afterwards waves a hand dismissively at the lack of decorum.

"It's only natural that you would be curious, especially given his field of study. But alas, my father's cause of death was nothing so dramatic as the dark things he fought against; his head was simply crushed by a bit of falling rubble at the old Harrowstone Ruins." She shook her head sadly. "So many years fighting the darkness, only to be done in by the cracked off head of a decorative gargoyle. I should like to hear more of your stories of him later though; perhaps there will be time before the reading of his will this afternoon."

As you arrange yourselves for bearing the casket, Elian is able to convince Zokar to be a pall bearer, and you arrange yourselves with Kristoph at the front right, Drago at the back left, Zokar at the front left, and Elian and Hardor working together at the back right. Kendra opens the gates to The Restlands, and the whole party stops to draw a spiral on their chests as Kristoph did, though whether they're imitating Kristoph or following local tradition you're not sure. Kendra then leads you up the hill, the casket and pallbearers behind, and the remaining 5 funeral attendees trailing behind them.

A few paces into the cemetery, Kendra turns left and begins heading up a path called "The Dreamwake". Rounding the corner onto "The Eversleep" however, the party finds its path blocked by a group of a dozen surly looking locals. The tallest of these toughs, an elderly but wiry retired soldier, calls out as soon as he sees you.

"That’s far enough. We been talking, and we don’t want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain’t goin’ in the ground here!"

Kendra is swift to respond, her sadness swiftly transforming into anger. “What are you talking about?”

Sense Motive before entering the Restlands.
Diplomacy with thugs (made as a group, +2 to whoever gets the highest if you beat a DC 10, -2 if you fail beat it).
Harrowstone? K. Local DC 10

matpal93
2021-01-27, 09:48 AM
Turning to Elian, Hardor says "Can you hold this for a moment?" (assuming he says yes) The Pathfinder steps out from the casket to the front of the funeral party.

"And why shouldn't he be? I may just be a visitor to your town, but I do know something of the Professor. The man was probably the best and kindest man I ever met. He dedicated his life to knowledge, to fighting against the darkness of the world the best he could, and making sure others could do the same. If he were a man of my city, I would consider it an honor to have him buried beside my forefathers, and give him a share of the offerings to my own departed kin. You should do no less."

Farmerbink
2021-01-27, 11:36 AM
Elian blinks twice, taken a bit by surprise by the sudden interruption. He's all kinds of prepared to say "no, probably not," when Hardor goes ahead and steps away. With a strangled grunt, he puts his whole body to it, and just manages to not embarrass his companions nor his late friend. As Hardor gives his thoughts, Elian collects his and stabilizes his hold.

With both hands on the casket, Elian nods eagerly, dovetailing with Hardor's entreaties. "Indeed, as he said. The Professor was an ardent defender of the Good and the living. Your fair town of Ravengro is much enriched by his work!" Placed OOC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24902632&postcount=22), Immediately relevant is a 28 diplomacy result :smallcool:

NikolaTesla
2021-01-27, 01:38 PM
Trust: 21

Hardor and Elian's stern words are enough to get calm the armed thugs and they sullenly disperse, shooting venomous glances at Hardor and Kendra and muttering about "good for nothing necromancers".

Once the crowd has dispersed, Councilman Muricar gives a weaselly "tut tut, I do believe I recognized them. Was that Gibs leading them?"

"Yes, I think it was." responds the corpulent Councilman Hearthmount, “All of them local farmhands, all of low character.”

Kendra stands there fuming as the councilmen continue their idle commentary, then turns around as a grubby man with a shovel emerges from further up the Eversleep and approaches. "My sincerest apologies for those men's behavior, things have been a little weird around here for the last 2 weeks and lots of people are on edge. That's one of Father Grimburrow's gravediggers approaching, probably to see why the procession stopped. Lets not keep them waiting."

Even as Kendra mentions things being "weird around here" you notice in the distance the gravedigger stops to throw something shiny at a grave at the side of the road, then proceed to apparently beat something senseless with a shovel before continuing on towards you, but neither the gravedigger nor Kendra comment on the strange occurrence as he joins the again moving procession.

No further complications occur as you arrive at the plot Kendra purchased for her father, presided over by a stern old man who's grim, furrowed brow could only make him Father Grimburrow:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.obsidianportal.com%2Fimages%2F 464524%2Fs640x480.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Once the silver spiraled coffin has been lowered into the already dug hole, Father Grimburrow gives a short sermon on the path of souls and what Pharasma does with those who are good, then invites Kendra to say a few words about her father. Kendra ights back tears and briefly recounts a few of her father’s more courageous or selfless moments, then stands back. All stand in silence as gravediggers cover Professor Lorrimor with dirt that is quickly turning to mud in the rain, till all that remains is a slightly concave rectangle on the ground.

Kendra thanks everyone for coming, then turns to you five."Would you all be so kind as to accompany me back to my home for a drink? My father's will contained a note stipulating that you all be present before it is read, and unfortunately Mr. Hearthmount (the closest thing we have so a solicitor) had some business to attend to after the funeral so we have a little bit of time before he arrives."

Zokar shivers slightly at the mention of Harrowstone.
Harrowstone is a ruined prison—partially destroyed by a fire in 4661 AR, the building has stood vacant ever since. The locals suspect that it’s haunted, and don’t enjoy speaking of the place.

matpal93
2021-01-27, 02:16 PM
After the crowd begins to disperse, Hardor returns to his place with the casket, and says a quick "Sorry" to Elian.

Spore
2021-01-27, 02:30 PM

Drago accepts the explanation given by Kendra, though he does not necessarily believe it. With the procession delayed once more, the thugs could be glad he was bound by honor to carry the deceased Professor, as he wanted to much to cave in their skulls. The more suave solved that situation swiftly however. Not to be outdone by Father Grimburrow's digger, Drago simply aids the help in expediting the digging. He would not want the grave to be half-filled with water, though the rain would certainly match Pharasma's river of souls.

Most importantly it kept him from babbling and let him focus on the blockade at hand. What difference did it make for farmhands to switch a burial place? If they wanted to disturb Lorrimor's rest, it would certainly be easier upriver. If they felt he had disturbed a long-hidden secret as he did so often, it might be just a question of misguided honor.

Keeping his now dirty hands to himself, Dragoslav turns to Kendra. Can I ask you a few things once we have left your dear father to his rest? And can we be sure the graveyard is checked regularly? I would not like these thugs to disturb his resting place, and if I stayed here for a few days to deter them, I cannot guarantee for their survival if they decide to come here again. Drago adds with a raspy voice.

NikolaTesla
2021-01-27, 06:47 PM
Keeping his now dirty hands to himself, Dragoslav turns to Kendra. Can I ask you a few things once we have left your dear father to his rest? And can we be sure the graveyard is checked regularly? I would not like these thugs to disturb his resting place, and if I stayed here for a few days to deter them, I cannot guarantee for their survival if they decide to come here again. Drago adds with a raspy voice.

"Not to worry, Father Grimburrow is a quite powerful priest of Pharasma, and his scowl alone is enough to keep people from desecrating things, even without their healthy fear of curses from exhuming bodies."

She says it loud enough for Father Grimburrow to hear, and he chuckles good naturedly."Now now my dear, having a visage that scares the dead themselves away is part of my priestly duty!" he croaks, then continues chuckling to himself as he begins to move off towards a small shack at the western edge of the graveyard.

Farmerbink
2021-01-27, 10:25 PM
It takes him a moment to build up the effort for a "it worked out" to go with an easy smile, but Elian is obviously glad to share his portion of the load again, maybe even more so than he is to see the rabble leaving peaceably. He slows with an uncomfortable expression when the gravedigger appears to beat... something... with his shovel.

Blinking to dispel whatever thoughts he has, Elian bucks up and does his part to help deliver Professor Lorrimor to his final rest. He stands by respectfully as the aptly named Father Grimburrow preaches and Kendra gives the eulogy. He respectfully inclines his head, polite and peaceful throughout, and stands by while the professor is interred.

"Of course we'll join you, Miss Lorrimor, though I must have misheard. Did you just say the professor mentioned us in his will?" The slim and attractive man is obviously confused by this development. It takes him a few moments to visibly regain his composure, though his expression settles somewhere between doubtful and curious. "It sounds like it will be both my honor and duty to join you this evening."

He eyes the priest warily for a moment, before snorting in amusement at the unfortunate-looking cleric's joke. Finally, as the group prepares to depart, Elian approaches Kendra, extending to her his elbow to provide some stability. "If I may, Miss Lorrimor. It'd be a shame for you to slip in the mud here."

Spore
2021-01-27, 11:39 PM

During the ceremony, the butch man can't help but keep a watch out for the thugs, dispelling any illusions his attendance is for the actual deed of burying Lorrimor more than paying his last respects. He was no man of philosophy or metaphysics, but a man of action. Part of him was actually disappointed not to butt heads with the farmhands, but it was probably the best for the burial and for everyone involved.

It would not be surprising for the professor to be closer to his study partners than to his own family. Drago glances at Kendra, and hastily adds, Barring Lady Kendra here of course.

He turns to the grim oldtimer of a head priest. If these men pester you, please contact me. I assume your reputation here is of importance, but mine is not.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-01-28, 12:04 AM
Kristoph appears at first to be slow to react to the approaching farmers, though in reality he is simply helping to balance the casket to keep the late Professor from an unfortunate, post-mortem accident. From his position at the front of the little procession he eyes the gathered farmers with a steely look, but holds his tongue when it becomes clear the others have convinced them to leave peacefully.

If we keep this pace up it will be a challenge to post frequently enough to participate in some of these encounters! Don't slow down for me - work has been busy - but in the future I would like more of a chance to RP!
Sense Motive [roll0]
Knowledge (Local) *Untrained* [roll1]
Once the coffin is laid on the ground Kristoph kneels before the town priest, lowering his eyes and saying, "Father, thank you for your presence here today. May our Lady of Graves bless this meeting." Once standing again he traces the blue spiral on his tabard and introduces himself, quickly, saying, "I am Kristoph, paladin and devotee of Pharasma." before stepping back, awkwardly. It's plain that the half-elf intends to show the man honor, but his formal approach seems a bit otherworldly and out of place in the rain...

At the end of Father Grimburrow's eulogy Kristoph again makes the sign of the spiral before listening to Kendra Lorrimor with an encouraging look on his face. When it is time to bury the Professor's body he quietly says, "Just as the rain falls to the earth and the stream flows to the sea, so too must all things pass away. Pharasma spins and guides the threads of fate; when she wills it...none may escape their final destination, nor their designated time. May we have faith in her guidance." He then agrees to go to the Lorrimor residence for the reading of the will.

After Dragoslav finishes speaking to the priest Kristoph thanks the old man and asks when services are held. "While I am here I would be grateful for a place to worship. I would attempt to consult the stars tonight were it not for the rain - they shown me prophecy yet, but I find it calming and it brings me closer to Pharasma's oracles. Thank you again, Father, for your kind words for our late friend." He then follows the others to Kendra's home.

NikolaTesla
2021-01-28, 10:14 PM
"There's no mistake dear Elian, my father's will is still sealed in wax; no one has read it yet. He left a note with it that specified that you all (or at least all those who could make it) be present for its reading."

Kendra puts her hands on her hips and sighs. "Knowing him, he probably has something related to his research stashed somewhere that doesn't want me to worry myself about and wants to trouble you with instead."

Miss Lorrimor accepts your offer of help, as the slope down out of the Restlands is in fact rather slippery.

Though Kristoph can't see it, Father Grimburrow arches a bushy eyebrow at Kristoph's declaration of himself as a Paladin of Pharasma, but his face quickly returns to its furrowed neutrality. "Welcome my fellow servant. A visiting paladin is a welcome enforcer of the natural order."

After the ceremony, Kristoph's words cause him to raise a bushy eyebrow again. "You are a strange one lad. Be careful with Pharasma's prophecies; there would be several more priests tending the Restlands during this trying time if they had not gone completely mad decades ago because of it. In any case, the Day of Bones is fast approaching, and there will be extensive services then. In the meantime, I'm sure the acolytes would appreciate your aid in the Procession of Unforgotten Souls.

Skill Prompts:
Day of Bones DC 12 K. Religion or Local
Procession of Unforgotten Souls DC 15 K. Religion or Local
(The DC of both is 5 if you are a Pharasmin)
Gone Completely Mad? DC 18 K. Religion or History
Note that you can always ask NPC's even if you fail the knowledge check.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-01-28, 10:19 PM
Skill Prompts:
Day of Bones DC 12 K. Religion or Local
Procession of Unforgotten Souls DC 15 K. Religion or Local
(The DC of both is 5 if you are a Pharasmin)
Gone Completely Mad? DC 18 K. Religion or History
Note that you can always ask NPC's even if you fail the knowledge check.

Kristoph cannot fail a DC 5 Knowledge (Religion) check and is a Pharasmin.

Re: "Gone Completely Mad" - Knowledge (Religion) [roll0]
"Mad, Father? As a result of stargazing? I'm afraid I don't understand..." Kristoph replies respectfully. "I keep a little journal of their movements...that and the planets. Should I not? I thought the Lady of Graves held prophecy and fate in her hands?"

Farmerbink
2021-01-29, 11:03 AM
Elian listens intently to Kendra, no less curious but satisfied in her word that somehow this motley crew bound only by mutual friendship is somehow going to be important in the upcoming days. He glances around the group, openly appraising them (though trying to be a bit furtive about it) with newfound respect. If nothing else, Elian knows better than to think the professor would have put something like this into place lightly.

"Heh, I bet that's it. And he would be right, you know. As difficult as this time is for all of us, you certainly don't need more dangerous work on your plate when you should be celebrating your father's life and mourning his passing." The expression he offers is one of kind, gentle reproach.

The mesmerist lapses into a comfortable silence as Kendra takes his arm. Dedicating his attention for the moment to avoiding the worst of the slick spots in the path and providing stable footing and handhold for Miss Lorrimor.

Mechanically, Elian will have his mesmerist trick, psychosomatic surge (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/alternative-rule-systems/occult-adventures/occult-classes/mesmerist/), implanted on himself. I don't expect him to take damage, but it's something of a "better safe than sorry" plan he keeps in place virtually every day.

If he takes damage, he can trigger the trick to gain 1d8 temporary HP, from which the triggering attack will take HP before dealing real damage.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-01, 04:02 AM
Afternoon, 18 Calistril, 4711| Trust: 21

The grizzled old man grimaces and sighs slightly."It is true that the Gray Lady holds a special connection to prophecy; her unique heritage entitles her to it. But the dawn of the Age of Lost Omens destroyed many of her mortal oracles, and in the decades following the death of Aroden a not insignificant portion of her priesthood either succumbed to madness or apostatized. Of course, this was mostly before my time, I just saw the aftermath of the upheaval..." He gives you a wry smile. "I'm not quite that old, you might think me some unholy abomination otherwise. Enjoy the stars lad, I've only seen a handful of servants of the Gray Lady succumb to madness in my lifetime, and they were seeking secrets that they should not have sought.
https://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/168108/Ravengro.jpg

Kendra leads you back south towards the main part of Ravengro, soon crossing a bridge eastward across Ravengro Creek and heading south on Talon Street through the town square. The rain begins to pick up, and Kendra remarks several times that she wished she knew how to perform a floating disk spell to keep dry, but soon you arrive at the Lorrimor residence near the southern edge of Ravengro.

The house is a modest affair, but it's interior reveals much about the man who live there less than 3 weeks ago. Each room is home to at least a couple crowded bookshelves, often with small colored pieces of paper protruding from the pages. Kendra gets a fire going in the hearth to help everyone dry off, then sets about grabbing some preparing some warm cider. This done, she looks to a beautiful time piece above the mantle made of solid brass and set with bits of crystal, with a vaguely beetle shaped motif in the center.

"It looks like we have a little bit of time before the councilman arrives. Before he does, perhaps you can all tell me more about yourselves? About how you knew my father?"

Skill Prompts
Tell your story: Diplomacy or Perform (oratory)

Spore
2021-02-01, 06:03 AM

Inside the hunched giant took off his simple coat. Under this - some of you are actually relieved Drago was not actually as massive as a small ogre - he reveals a thick refurbished breastplate. His pale almost grey thick arms stick out of the sleeveless shirt he wears under the metal armor. His shovel-sized hands pushed the last raindrops off of his bald head and smeared them onto his trousers; an elegant legwear hopelessly abused by wind, weather and its owner. He looked like the kind of guy who was bought elegant clothes, but he wore them for everything including outdoor activities.

The prompt to introduce themselves made Drago deeply nervous. If he knew to face his demons head-on, he would not even be here. He would probably be dead. He took a deep breath, obvious to anyone around him. My name is Dragoslav Cutov. I would consider myself a study partner of late Professor Lorrimor, but that would be a lie. I am versed in various topics thanks to him, including the occult, extraplanar endeavors as well as historical events, but I never considered myself more than a bodyguard to him. His interests regularly endangered his life, and I think he was glad I was a better partner for arguments than many of his previous helpers.

Drago pops open a pocket on his belt, revealing a flask with iridescent blue liquid. Though I am actually a travelling alchemist. Tragedy struck my family, debt and death made me our family's last remnant, loosing us our shop. Ever since I am wandering, maybe saving up coin for another shop, though I must say Petros gave my errant life meaning and structure again. Something dearly missing these days.

His monologue peters out, as he is more interested in the clock.

Knowledge (History) to reveal anything about the beetle iconography. [roll0]
Perception to investigate [roll1]

Farmerbink
2021-02-01, 10:17 PM
Elian smiles, listening easily to Drago’s simple explanation over a steaming mug of hot cider. He nods appropriately, with some familiarity, sipping frequently.

“I suppose I’ll go next. My name is Elian Evenstarr. I hail from the lovely metropolis of Caliphas, where at least the winters are not quite so dreary and cold.” He smirks, though he lets you wonder the details of whatever fond memory or joke has come to mind.

“I had the pleasure of meeting our late friend some years ago. It was perhaps equally fortuitous to both of us. See, I am of Elven heritage-” he draws back a thick strand of luxurious black hair to reveal a fairly pointed ear- “so it was a younger man, but no less full of curiosity and vitality that I met. Sadly, we kept in touch almost entirely by missive since then. I am... displeased that I was not able to be of more help to him. Not nearly as much as he was to me, and for that, at least, I am in your debt, Miss Lorrimor.” Elian inclines his head to her, graciously and takes another sip of cider.

“For my part, I’m something of an illusionist, I suppose. Some dabbling in art and high society has left me fortunately blessed with good finances, and most in the capital are all too happy to have the input of so well-learned an investor and companion as myself.” He chuckles openly at the imagery, turning to the next in line.

Many of the details are deliberately vague, and some are outright fabrications. All things considered, I’ll roll bluff, if you don’t mind, in place of diplomacy. The intention remains to make a good first impression, but he’s obviously not being entirely genuine in the process. [roll0] bluff. (-1 if you *really* want to apply diplomacy rules instead)

doko239
2021-02-02, 04:30 PM
The tall, brooding young man still finds himself standing apart from the group, so much so that one could be forgiven for forgetting his presence. Observant individuals might notice the tight-fitting leather armor under his cloak, or the curiously-carved wooden pendant hanging from his neck; no one, however, could miss the large sword sheathed at his hip, nor that his hand never seems to leave its hilt; as though he is expecting a need to use it at any moment. As he stares into the fire, he begins to speak.

"My name... my name is Lathar Osoric". The words come out quiet and strained, almost in a whisper, as though spoken only with great effort. "I saved Lorrimor's life once; he saved mine in return. More than that I cannot say, except that he was a good man, and a valuable ally. The world has lost much with his passing".

The wooden pendant depicts a bird's wing crossed by a sword. Knowledge: Religion would determine its significance.

Farmerbink
2021-02-02, 09:57 PM
Elian nods approvingly. "Hear, hear."

NikolaTesla
2021-02-03, 02:51 AM
Trust: 22

Elian's bluffs are fine, though fair warning should be given: those particular lies may come back to bite him in the butt later.

Good work on the diplomacy rolls! As for the beetle, it's hard to make out the details as the iconography is only a print in the monochromatic brass, but you figure the symbol comes from Osirion; mostly because that's the only place you know of that often uses beetles. You've seen seemingly out of place beetle iconography in Ustalav before though, usually in/on the homes of the wealthy and powerful, along with the well-to-do establishments they haunt.

Kendra nods along with stories, sipping her own cider. You need no sense motive check to see that she's a little disappointed when details are lacking, but she doesn't press the issue. Given Professor Lorrimor's topics of study, it's probably something that she's grown accustomed to. Soon, the clock on the mantle gives a rhythmic clicking noise, and there's a knock at the door before it stops. At a nod from Kendra, the party member closest to the door opens it, and Councilman Vashian Hearthmount steps in.

"Punctual as ever I see, Councilman." says Kendra cordially, offering to take the portly man's coat, but he waves her off.

"Don't you worry yourself about me today, Kendra. I know you want to keep the professor's books dry, but I prefer to keep the jacket." He produces a small baton that looks as if might have been made from some sort of bone, and with a tap to his chest, instantly dries himself. This done, he waddles into the center of the living room and produces a scroll case, sealed with golden wax.

"Let's see.. one, two, three, four, five." he says jabbing a finger at each of you in turn. Well, there were a few more in the list of people the will was to be read to, but I suppose they couldn't make it. Pity. Once again, no sense motive check is necessary to note the slightly sarcastic note in his voice; clearly he doesn't completely approve of strangers being involved in private local matters, but he proceeds anyway. Shall we begin then?" he asks.

Kendra takes a deep breath, steeling herself, then nods for him to begin. The councilman holds out the case for each of you to see that the wax is sealed, then breaks the seal. As he does, a small iron key falls out of the tube, clattering noisily onto the table. Undaunted by the key, the councilman begins to read, eager to be done with the business and to get back home.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and personal belongings entirely to my daughter Kendra. Use them or sell them as you see fit, my child.

“Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I have two final favors to ask.

“To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

“And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my daughter with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

“Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone, and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month after the date of the reading of this will.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this first day of Calistril, in the year 4711.”

Spore
2021-02-03, 04:42 AM

Mr Cutov did not like the councilor. He was a wizard, which where always particularly colorful personalities, but his sarcasm was misplaced, and his disdain for the present group of Petros' friends was palpable.

First of Calistril? Drago repeats, rubbing his stubbly chin. That damn fool knew his most recent endeavor was likely to be his last. Or at least I hope it was. Drago knew his implications once again made things uncomfortable but certain things must be said.

Say, Lady Lorrimor. he says bowing at the precisely wrong moment. May we open the chest and sift through your father's tomes to make sense of this situation? In turn I have an idea how to pass a month. We could compile a small diary of short stories about your dear father, each of us adding our greatest stories to make this book the best it could be.

He lays his large hand on Kendra's shoulder, if she let's him. I know mourning your loved ones can be hard, but maybe reading of his adventures puts a smile on your face on rainy days. Drago does not try to smile to comfort her, and just looks at the woman with his stony almost grey face.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-03, 08:28 PM
Rather than being offended at Drago's words, Kendra nods her head in agreement. "That is a little disturbing... but don't worry Drago, the money he had set aside for his burial was enough to cover the cost of a scroll of Hallow, which Father Grimburrow was kind enough to cast on the coffin. As for the trunk-"

"If I may, Miss Lorrimor interrupts councilman Hearthmount, "I really must be going. Gharen intends to start writing The Wealday Parchment this afternoon, and I'm afraid the old coot is going to cause a ruckus with his telling of events at The Restlands today if I fail to provide some editorial supervision. If you'll excuse me..." and with that he begins making his way towards the door.

Farmerbink
2021-02-03, 09:57 PM
Elian listens stoically, though he can't help but allow a faint scowl of confusion as the professor makes his final requests. His eyes glance from the reader to Drago, Kendra and finally back to the councilman. "Far be it for us to keep you, councilman. Thank you for being here," he says, a little too weightily to be simple curtesy. Elian rises from his seat with polite but clear urgency, and goes so far past to open the door for Master Hearthmount. After a final polite nod, the lithe mesmerist closes the door firmly.

"It's a shame he had to be here to read that," Elian wonders aloud. "Seems less people knowing of your father's more flavorful readings might have been a good thing. I suppose what's done is done." Turning back to the gathering, Elian faces Drago. "You're quite right, of course. Professor Lorrimor penned this with his own hand less than three weeks hence. He was obviously prepared, at least legally, for... something bad." His dark hair frames a deep frown as he considers the depths of the writing.

Turning back to their hostess, Elian continues. "At least as important as what he said, is what he didn't say, I think. Miss Kendra here is obviously old enough to handle herself, so either he thinks- er... thought this last ordeal might come back down on her, or there's something much more important about this next month than sharing our best fireside stories over hot tea and biscuits." He lets the idea settle for a few moments.

"Miss Kendra, would you show us to your father's study? Perhaps he left additional information in this chest?"

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-03, 11:48 PM
"Thank you, Father, for the guidance. I recalled some of those stories myself, and will do my best to guard myself against inquiries into forbidden knowledge," says the half elf with a bow. Tracing the blue spiral on his chest once more he salutes the old priest and turns to walk to the will-reading with the others.
A bit slow to react, Kristoph finds his introduction cut short by the arrival of the councilman. "I'm Kristoph Harrison, and met the late Professor traveling once. He was a good man, and I'm sorry we never made more time to visit while he lived," is all he can say before the will is read.

As Councilman Hearthmount reads about forbidden tomes, Kristoph's expression grows concerned. As the man is gently, but firmly, escorted out by the other elf-blooded man, Kristoph thinks furiously what to say. When it is time, he agrees with the others and says, "Yes, we need to see what these books are. Illegal tomes can only mean a few things, and none of them make this easier. Please, Miss Lorrimor, may we see this chest?"

matpal93
2021-02-04, 11:23 AM
Hardor is shivering by the time the party reaches the Lorrimor residence, and takes the warm seat and warm cider gratefully. Engrossed as he is by getting the chill out of his bones, Hardor doesn't look up until partway through Elian's remarks.

Once the others are clearly done, Hardor speaks up. "It's not surprising that a professor would make friends of a more academic bent, though Professor Lorrimor was more my patron than my colleague. I am Hardor of house Sentas of Absalom, and I first met the professor at a lecture he gave at the Forae Logos. He was seemingly impressed by my potential, and pulled some strings to get me into the Pathfinder Society. That was 10 years ago, and I've written him sporadically over the years about my research, and he was always kind enough to point me in the right direction. When Kendra sent me a letter about coming to the funeral, I was perfectly willing to oblige the last request of a man I owe so much to."

As Hardor finishes his piece, he shivers one last time.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-07, 08:40 PM
Once the ever so slightly boorish councilman had been escorted out by Elian, Kendra gives a small sigh.” Don’t mind him, he’s perhaps the most capable man in Ravengro, and constant demands can weary both one’s time and decorum.”

Kendra stands and makes as if to go fetch the chest, but raises a hand when Elian looks to follow. “That’s quite alright Elian, the study would be rather crowded and I’m pretty sure I know the chest my father spoke of in his will.”

Kendra disappears down the hall for a few moments, then returns bearing small oak and iron vessel, which she sets gingerly on the table where Councilman Hearthmount dropped the key minutes before. She gestures a little awkwardly. “I’m sorry, would one of you..? Given the will, I’m not sure I want to see what’s in that chest...”

One of you (who ever posts saying that it’s them) takes the iron key, and with an approving nod from those gathered, inserts it in the lock. It turns with several audible clicks, and the mechanism clamping the lid shut loosens. You gingerly slip a finger beneath, and lift up the lid.

Within are four old tomes, a long with a newer but clearly well used journal sitting on top. The journal has the words Read Me scratched into the leather cover.

All of the following is information that can be gotten about these books in a social setting with just a quick flip through them.

The journal clearly belonged to the professor, but you can recall no reference to it in his will. A quick skim reveals pretty bland entries; accounting for day to day activities in a small town for the most part. But you catch several glimpses of red as you flip through, and the last entry, dated 2 Calistril 4711, is circled in red ink. It makes reference to a prison and “the way”.
Skill Prompts:K. Local DC 10/K. History DC 15, K. Local DC 20 (separate check)

A thick book with a rich purple cover featuring a brass scarab set with a single eye in the center, holding a polished green stone in its mandibles. The book’s covers are rimmed in polished steel and clasped with a small but intricate lock, the keyhole of which appears to be for a key with a strange, triangular shaft. The book bears no title, and the key is nowhere to be found.
Skill Prompts: Disable Device DC 30, Strength DC 23

A jet-black book with thin pages bordered in gold. The title and dark, narrow font within are both written in Aklo. A quick perusal of the book reveals several star charts, diagrams of the solar system, arcane illustrations, and sketches of disturbing creatures.
The title is “On Verified Madness”
Skill Prompts: K. Arcana DC 25, Lore: Dark Tapestry DC 20

The cover of the third book might have been white at some point, but age and... something else... have since stained it. The book bears no title, but the image of a desiccated and vaguely skull-shaped fly graces the cover. The contents of the book are written in Necril, and there are several illustrations of the undead within its pages. The symbol on the cover may be recognized with a DC 10 K. Religion check.
You can read the book, but there’s still no title. Recognizing the book will require you to succeed at the DC 10 K. Religion check AND another DC 20 K. Religion check.

The final book, at first obscured by the others, causes Kendra to retch slightly when she sees it. The cover is made from a human face, and the rest of the book from human skin. Red... ink... fills the pages in Common, declaring the book to be (for those able to stomach opening it) The Umbral Leaves, the unholy book of Zon-Kuthon.

Books 2, 3, and 4 all have notes tucked into them indicating that they should be brought to one Montagnie Crowl, a professor of Antiquities at Lepidstadt University. On the other hand, the sealed first book has a note indicating that it should be delivered to Embreth Daramind, a judge at the Lepidstadt Courthouse, though the note requests discretion for this book in particular, and includes the judge’s home address so that it can be delivered there.

OOC: For RP purposes, there are 5 of you and 5 books in all, so there should be plenty of opportunity for everyone. Not that you need to restrict yourself to one book though; you’re welcome to glance at a couple and/or pass them around. Or maybe they’re disturbing enough that your character prefers not to touch. Have fun!

Farmerbink
2021-02-07, 10:22 PM
Elian waits dutifully as Kendra recovers the chest, though he fiddles with the key in apparent agitation until she returns. He wastes no time opening it to consider its contents, so concerned and curious he is about the professor's final wishes.

He skims the marked journal, frowning in thought. "I guess we'll have to look through this more thoroughly- he obviously wanted us to." Setting it aside, he considers the next tome. And the next. His frown deepens as he sets the books gently upon the table for all to see, and quickly discovers them all to be beyond him in one capacity or another.

"Well that's quite the little cache, but I'll be honest- I expected to have some idea what these were...." he gestures to the small spread of apparently dangerous books, but continues to frown. "Do any of you even recognize these languages?"

Spore
2021-02-08, 09:20 AM

Drago inspects the books patiently and thoroughly. He lays the locked book aside for now.

First order of the day. We should open his journal. If no one can take last book's vile materials, I volunteer. My language skills are more focussed on living and civilized languages. Cutov sighs in frustration as he would have found the book with the star charts incredibly interesting. He turns to the scarab clock and lays the sealed book next to it.

Now if I were an enthusiastic professor, where would I hide the key in this clock.
Say, Madame Lorrimor, is the clock near and dear to you or is it just another trinket to you? the butch scholar says, picking the filigree up, shaking it.

Checking the clock again if the key is contained within. Perception to investigate the clock once again. [roll0]
If taking 20 on the lock does not destroy it, I can always just pry open the lock.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-08, 01:32 PM
Journal, Knowledge (Local) (untrained) DC 10 - [roll0] (fail)
Without a natural 20 on the Strength check, Kristoph cannot break open the locked book.
Kristoph doesn't speak Aklo but would be interested in the book with star charts and such...
Kristoph doesn't speak Necril, but might recognize the Unholy Symbol - Knowledge (Religion) [roll1] (pass)
Book 4 - ew...
Kristoph looks at the assorted books with an expression that gets steadily more and more unhappy. He looks at the book in Aklo curiously, flipping through and looking at the star charts but unable to read the words and frowning at the sketches of otherworldly creatures. The paladin shakes his hand unhappily at the book in Necril as he recognizes the symbol on the cover. Upon finding The Umbral Leaves he shudders and says, "That accursed book I recognize. I cannot imagine what inspired Professor Lorrimor to study that vile tome, but everything about it is...just wrong. If I didn't trust the Professor as completely as I did finding this here would leave me very worried for the state of his soul. As it is, I recommend we place that book back in the chest and lock it away again - nothing good comes from such disgusting writings..."

Farmerbink
2021-02-08, 03:17 PM
Elian chuckles darkly. "So that's a 'yes' I suppose... Dunno how I overlooked that one, before..." He manages to stomach the final book's appearance better than his companions and host, though even his dark humor amusement is short lived. "Gods above, is that book made of a person?" His disgust remains manageable, though no less significant for it.

"I am... not sure we stand to learn much of use from those tomes." He turns back to the professor's journal. "Though this is surely worth our time. Perhaps it can direct us to the more relevant findings of our friend?"

matpal93
2021-02-08, 11:28 PM
As Hardor joins his new companions in perusing the tomes, he responds to Elian's comment "Recognize? Only vaguely, though I don't read any of them, yet." However, the wizard blanches visibly at seeing the last tome, and refuses to touch it at all.

As the others continue to discuss to tomes, Hardor turns his attention to the chest itself. "I wonder..."

Casting Detect Magic on the chest

Spore
2021-02-08, 11:55 PM

Now that we are under friends, I can say it.

I think Lorrimor's death was at least not an accident. Crushed by a loose stone plate? Please. This man's knowledge of architecture and structural engineering would put a dwarven artificer to shame. And if these revolting books just bear the slightest clue what happened to him and why this happened we are richer for it.

Drago looks grimly at the book made of flesh.

Yes it is revolting, but who better to resist the lure of Evil than a keeper of Pharasma? Who better to excise the secrets from pages and pages of demonic lies, of occult secrets of the undermountain than us?

doko239
2021-02-09, 03:34 AM
Wordlessly, Lathar will observe the books with uneasy anticipation. The third particularly catches his interest; he picks it up more closely to examine it, a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach at the familiar symbol on the cover.

Journal: Lathar is untrained in K:Local.
Book 1: Would require a natural 20 strength check to open, and he is wary of damaging these books to begin with
Book 2: Lathar does not speak Aklo
Book 3: Lathar can speak Necril, which allows him to make both checks.

First K:Religion: [roll0]
Second K:Religion: [roll1]

NikolaTesla
2021-02-10, 04:15 AM
Kendra gives a slight note of alarm as the enormous Drago begins shaking the clock, which only elicits the rattle of mechanical parts held in primitive bearings. But as he examines the clock, the new angle reveals something rather curious: the highly decorated hands of the clock are vaguely triangular in shape.

The prison is likely in reference to the Harrowstone Ruins just outside of town. With a 22 on his K. Local check, Elian knows quite a bit about the place:

Harrowstone was built in 4594, then partially destroyed by a fire in 4661. Ravengro was founded at the same time as a place where guards and their families could live and that would produce food and other supplies used by the prison, but the town has persisted even as the prison stands empty (and haunted according to some locals). The fire killed all of the prisoners and most of the guards, along with the warden and his wife, though no one knows why she was in the prison when the fire occurred. It also destroyed a large portion of the prison’s underground eastern wing, but left most of the stone structure above relatively intact. A statue commemorating the warden and the guards who lost their lives was built in the months after the tragedy—that statue still stands on the riverbank just outside of town.

Elian is also aware of some things that few now living remember: Most of the hardened criminals sent to Harrowstone spent only a few months imprisoned, for it was here that most of Ustalav’s executions during that era were carried out. The fire that caused the tragedy was, in fact, a blessing in disguise, for the prisoners had rioted and gained control of the prison’s dungeons immediately prior to the conflagration. It was only through the self-sacrifice of Warden Hawkran and 23 of his guards that the prisoners were prevented from escaping—the guards gave their lives to save the town of Ravengro.

Journal check 2: No one succeeded on this check, but reading the journal will soon cause all of you to automatically succeed.

Book 2: It appears no one can read Aklo, so no skill checks were made. If you can find someone to cast Comprehend Languages that should allow you to at least get the title.

The desiccated fly is the unholy symbol of Urgathoa.

Book 3 Check 2: Lathar did not succeed at this check, and so without reading the book you're unsure of its identity.

The chest does not appear to be magical.

Kendra shakes her head at Drago's implication."I'm not sure how someone could arrange for a 120 pound gargoyle face to fall on someone. At the very least it seems like a lot of trouble to go through to commit murder..."

Skill Prompt: Sense Motive DC 12

"I think you're right Elian." she says, studiously avoiding looking at The Umbral Leaves and its morbid construction by inspecting the book emblazoned with the fly over Lathar's shoulder. She raises an eyebrow at it as both she and Lathar note that the book's margins are liberally filled with the late professor's handwriting. Frowning deeply, she looks over to Elian. "I'm sure that my father had only admirable reasons for possessing these books, but we need not study them ourselves. He probably put whatever he wanted you all to know about his work in his journal."

She nods to herself, as if deciding something. "Looks like he left you plenty to do, between helping me out for the next month and whatever he left in that journal... assuming you're willing to take on his assignments. Least I can do is provide you all a place to sleep. You're welcome to the books here too, if you think they'll be useful to you. I'll begin preparing the guest beds while you read, but if you need anything, I'll be in the next room."

Once Kendra has departed, you have the chance to read through the journal. As you carefully turn the pages, you come across six entries circled in red ink.

13 Arodus, 4700
The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of necromancers. I see that now. Undeath is their fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place me at ease as I thought it might. Their desire to be eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

21 Kuthona, 4710
It is as I had feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravengro. But what could it be?

16 Abadius, 4711
Whatever the Way seeks, I am now convinced their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect, I suppose it all makes sense—the stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town already being so worked up about them, I’d rather not let the others know about my curiosity—there’s plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I’m a demonologist or a witch or something. Ignorant fools.

29 Abadius, 4711
It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something—no, strike that—someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire. Everyone. The Temple of Pharasma must have such a list.

1 Calistril, 4711
I see now just how ill prepared I was when I last set out for the Harrowstone. I am lucky to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts (for I did not find it prudent to investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation—hopefully on my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully, the necessary tools to defend against spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the church of Pharasma used to store them in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know of what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items.

2 Calistril, 4711
Tomorrow evening I return to the prison. It is imperative the Way does not finish. My caution has already cost me too much time. I am not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I’ll leave this journal in the chest where it’ll be sure to be found, should the worst come to pass.

matpal93
2021-02-10, 09:46 AM
"Hmmm... no magical protections here after all."

As Kendra takes her leave, Hardor replies "Thank you, Lady Lorrimor." He then turns to the journal. "It seems you were right, Drago. If the Professor was investigating some rite, it is much more likely than not that his death was no accident. Certainly anything more information we can find on this 'Whispering Way' would be extremely helpful, especially if they still have designs on this town. A cabal of necromancers, how awful..."

Spore
2021-02-10, 10:10 AM

A gargoyle this small and light can be easily arranged as a trap, milady. Drago says flexing his biceps, underlining his point. He was not entirely sure, she was just deflecting the point, knowing it could be possible, but he left it at that. Now if the old prison is haunted, and your father was an expert on such matters, so I believe his notes, we would indeed need the aid of the Pharasmin headpriest. Grimburrow doesn't seem like the nicest fellah, but I am pretty sure it would be known if he lost his divine connection by siding with the Way.

Drago goes back, his thick fingers surprisingly are nimble, and he manages to dislodge the clock's two hands by removing a simple pin.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-10, 01:39 PM
Several avenues of research are now open to you, with various DC’s providing increasing amounts of XP and clues as to what’s going on. Each of you may make a one time check on each research topic, representing your character’s prior knowledge. The topics currently available are:

Harrowstone Prison (K. History & K. Local) (Those who rolled K. Local or History on the first journal check have already made their one time check). DC’s passed by Elian: 10, 15, 20. XP earned: 70 each.

The Whispering Way (K. Arcana & K. Religion) No checks made yet.

These knowledge checks may be made untrained, but you’ll be limited to DC 10 knowledge if you are not trained in the skill. After your initial checks, those trained may make further checks by spending a day researching and making a check with whatever bonus your research location provides. There are several such places around town; currently you have access to the Lorrimor house. Asking NPCs might lead you to the location of others. In addition, Diplomacy may be used to get information on any unlocked research topic by asking NPCs, but there is a cap on the DC of knowledge that can be gained in this way. The helpfulness of NPCs is largely determined by your trust score.

Farmerbink
2021-02-10, 03:10 PM
As Elian reads through the journal, his expression sours. "Just like the professor to get in over his head before he asks for help..." He shakes his head with a rueful smile. "I'd have come if he'd asked...."

"Hmmm, I've heard of this "Whispering Way," before, let me think on it for a minute....

At any rate, it looks like there will be... work to do at this prison. Whatever his reasons, the professor wouldn't have ventured there on his own if it wasn't important. He definitely wouldn't have gone back."

Spore
2021-02-10, 10:45 PM
XP earned: 70 each.

I assume passed checks apply to the whole group unless you want to punish players with fewer skills?

Harrowstone: [roll0]
Whispering Way: Religion [roll1]

NikolaTesla
2021-02-11, 07:10 AM
Yes, sorry that should have been more clear. The whole party gains XP from successful research. In this case, Elian's prior knowledge grants 70 XP to each of you, assuming that he passes that info on to the party. Elian seems pretty helpful, but it may even be worth asking each other about these things in character to provide more natural opportunities for info to be shared.

The whispering way is a secretive organization that has been active in the Inner Sea Region for thousands of years. They have significant interest in necromancy.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-11, 05:40 PM
Whispering Way Knowledge Check Results

See previous post.

Agents of the Whispering Way often seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the society itself has existed much longer than even that mighty necromancer.

The Whispering Way itself is a series of philosophies that can only be transferred via whispers—the philosophies are never written or spoken of loudly, making the exact goals and nature of the secretive philosophy difficult for outsiders to learn much about.

Exact details on the society are difficult to discern, but chief among the Whispering Way’s goals are discovering formulae for creating liches and engineering the release of the Whispering Tyrant. Agents often travel to remote sites or areas plagued by notorious haunts or undead menaces to perform field research or even to capture unique monsters. Their symbol is a gagged skull, and those who learn too many of the Way’s secrets are often murdered, and their mouths mutilated to prevent their bodies from divulging secrets via Speak With Dead.

Because of the extensive party knowledge of the Whispering Way, you each gain 150 XP.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-11, 10:39 PM
Sense Motive [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion) about the Whispering Way [roll1]
Kristoph watches and listens silently, considering his new companions and eventually coming to a decision. "The Professor chose all of us well, I think - you all are clever and recognize the dire straights he was in as he fought against dark powers...for the Whispering Way is one of the very darkest. Undead-lovers and would-be-liches, all of them. They are the enemies of life and try to cheat the fate ordained upon all of us upon our deaths. We must take up Lorrimor's efforts and see what the Way wants with Harrowstone.

In the meantime, we have the Professor's library to aid us and must continue to look after his daughter. She seemed quite upset about the possibility that her father was murdered - a reality she may need time to manage. We must help give her that time. Will you all help me visit the ruins tomorrow? If so, I think we should sleep here tonight, try to reassure Kendra a bit when we see her, and otherwise not burden her with this until it becomes necessary," says the dark-armored paladin, his face grim in the face of undead threats against good people. "We should also visit the church and see about this cache of tools hidden there - I hope we can acquire them with Father Grimburrow's blessings. If they are capable of defending us against the undead, I feel confident we can convince him to let us use them..."

Farmerbink
2021-02-11, 11:37 PM
"I will join you, of course," Elian quickly volunteers. "I don't see much way to reassure Kendra without lying to her, though. It seems quite clear to me that the professor was certainly murdered. It fits with what we know of the Whispering Way, which he was investigating by his own claim." He glances around the room. In particular his gaze lingers on Drago. "I'll gladly admit to feeling better about investigating these ruins with your help, though, Master Cutov."

At mention of the cache, Elian interjects. "I suppose you wouldn't be willing to peruse the cache without the old codger's blessing? I see no need to ask permission if the professor didn't."

Spore
2021-02-12, 09:17 AM

In particular his gaze lingers on Drago. "I'll gladly admit to feeling better about investigating these ruins with your help, though, Master Cutov."

Is is because I carry a shovel or because I have no qualms digging up the dead? Drago smiles, but all he can muster is a creepy half-smile that could make milk curdle. The fact that he brought a dingy old rusty shovel into the dining room of a wealthy noble was enough to support his words. Drago would not stop for trivial things like the sacrality of a corpse.

"We should also visit the church and see about this cache of tools hidden there - I hope we can acquire them with Father Grimburrow's blessings. If they are capable of defending us against the undead, I feel confident we can convince him to let us use them..."

You do that, there is a certain worth in trust, in your intent. They surely would not give them to use if we were the type that could just sell these. After all divine ointments fetch a good price on the markets, and their use can be perverted easily. For alchemists, it was obvious as the same ingredients were used to create unholy water as were to create holy water. The mere intent made a sanctimonious act a sacrilegious one.

Which reminds me. The professor never mentioned much about the Whispering Way, and I only know they vaguely deal with necromancers. I could assume much and be entirely right or completely wrong. Do you have more insight in these matters? When in doubt I will cave in any creature's skull, whether dead or alive, if it wants us harm

Farmerbink
2021-02-12, 10:30 AM
Despite the grim facade, Elian finds himself smiling easily at Drago's jest. He chuckles lightly, before responding. "If we're being completely honest, it has more to do with how easily you carry the shovel. You look decidedly like the kind of person I want on my side in a dark alley!"

matpal93
2021-02-12, 05:42 PM
Hardor raises up from his current tome to chuckle at Elian's comment, "I'll second that. But we should be extremely cautious all the same. The Whispering Way is, as the Professor said, "no mere cabal of necromancers. They are older than the Whispering Tyrant himself, and count him among their alumni. I sincerely hope they've just moved on, and aren't still there!"

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-12, 06:03 PM
Kristoph gestures to his chest, the holy symbol of Pharasma emblazoned across his tunic in blue. "I worship the Lady of Graves - I won't 'borrow' anything from the church without permission, nor be happy if someone else does. Father Grimburrow will help us - we just have to convince him of the need...I suspect warning him of the threat of the Way will help too," says the paladin thoughtfully.

Then, with a smile that looks natural and frequent, the half-elf looks at those assembled and nods. "Grim topics make me unpleasant - I'm sorry. We should do something to lighten the mood, even if only for the night. I'm going to go downstairs and see if Kendra has anything to eat and drink. Will you all join me? I'm not the best cook - never really had the inclination to practice - but I do enjoy good food. Is anyone a skilled chef?" he asks as he gestures for the others to join him. The sudden change of tone seems perfectly genuine and Kristoph doesn't appear to notice if anyone is surprised by his change of attitude. He leads the way downstairs and asks any who follow him, "Do any of you have happy stories to share of your time with the Professor? I only got to meet him during a challenging, cross-country trip, but he seemed the sort who would face the darkness ferociously but enjoy life when he could otherwise. It reminded me a bit of how I try to do things - serious when warranted, but having a good time when able too. How about all of you?"

Farmerbink
2021-02-12, 09:16 PM
Elian smiles, though it's obviously a little forced. "I only met him face to face a handful of times, actually. And while it's undoubtedly true that he has saved my life, I can't truly describe the experience as happy." He looks down at the books, and back up at the unusual fellow asking him to set them aside, at least for now. After a moment, he nods and steps towards the door.

"This is a night that we need to spend on Kendra. There will be time for research and investigation later. If we don't save the ability to live, for what are we fighting?"

Spore
2021-02-12, 11:29 PM

Well, I am unsure if alchemy makes me a worse or a better cook, so I would appreciate some assistance in the kitchen. Drago says. With a stern expression, he tries to imitate his late mother. No one will enter MY kitchen with dirty clothes or hands. Go get changed and washed, and you can have some food!

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-13, 05:22 PM
"If we don't save the ability to live, for what are we fighting?"
Kristoph's smile grows even more broad at Elian's words and Drago's offer to lead the efforts in the kitchen. "I agree, gentlemen. There's little point in fighting for goodness if you don't enjoy life while you can. And after touching those tomes we should all want to wash our hands! Let's get to it!"

NikolaTesla
2021-02-13, 06:23 PM
With Drago's alchemy and Kendra's ability to keep a pot continually stirring with Mage Hand, they manage to brew a heavy stew of beans, tubers, and salted meats that fills everyone's stomachs quite nicely. Conversation turns easily to lighter topics; with the books left in the other room it's easy to distract Kendra with Hardor's stories of Absalom, Kristoph's misadventures of becoming a Pharasmin paladin, and poking a little fun at Councilman Hearthmount. Darkness soon falls, and each of you retire to small but comfortable beds, perhaps with a book and candle or two.

Sunday Morning, 19 Calistril, 4711 AR, Trust: 21

The next morning, you all have time to worship, prepare spells and extracts, and do whatever else you need to do to prepare for the day before stepping out onto the the muddy, but blessedly sunny road. To your left (north), Talon street leads up towards the town square where you can see a few children playing in square. To the right (south-west), Talon street crosses a small stream before splitting at a lone post hung with the wet tatters of some parchment. Further south, the ruins of Harrowstone loom in the distance.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3f/fc/02/3ffc026a3b37b03d253b97f88e7369ed.jpg

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-13, 09:27 PM
Kristoph is up before dawn, just early enough to do some stargazing before the impending sunrise ruins any view of the dark night sky. As dawn's light begins to creep over the horizon he begins a series of physically intense drills and practices with his weapons, performing the forms with deliberate motions that may not be graceful but are well-practiced at least. Sweaty in the humid air, the half-elf does his best to clean up before breakfast, eating lightly of fruits and bread with some clean well-water. When the others are up and going they find him reading the late Professor's journal in one of the sitting rooms, his face screwed up in thought as he tries to understand the mind and motives of the dead man.

Seeing the others he rises and greets them, saying, "To the church, then? Or does anyone need to prepare more before leaving?"

Spore
2021-02-14, 04:30 AM

The alchemist requested a well ventilated place for his alchemical needs, which sadly only really was feasible in the garden shed. After reiterating again and again that he was fine with the setup, and he did not want fumes from his portable lab to disturb the others, Kendra finally accepted under the constraint that he took a warm blanket out with him. Drago accepted this, putting it neatly aside as not to dirty it, and went for his daily preparations.

As he stepped back inside, the more astute under you see he had a crimson red vial strapped into his belt, whose color differed from the metallic glow of yesterday. I think I am prepared. I have a trick if we need to excavate a larger plot at once for now, but if we are pressed into more conflict than an initial clash with some graverobbers I need a good ten minutes to be ready again.

Farmerbink
2021-02-14, 11:44 AM
Elian spends his evening thoroughly enjoying conversing and getting to know the unusual group of people. He offers few details, and all of them with a wink and a smirk that leave the listener wondering what's true and what's just a fun tale. The lithe Elf seems to enjoy it tremendously.

In the morning, he rises a little on the late side, but is grateful for an opportunity to break his fast. Despite what his frame might suggest, Elian is more than content to partake of most everything offered. In stark contrast to Kristoph's lighter fare, Elian requests (politely, and happy to finance it) eggs and meat- preferably fresh cooked, but he'll not complain overly if salted jerky is the only option.

Once the rest have gathered, he's carefully dabbing his chin clean. "It still seems foolish to bother with Grimburrow, but I'll tag along if I must." He offers an unenthused smirk, as if even this is some sort of unfunny joke.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-15, 03:00 AM
Once everyone has gathered themselves, you begin making your way to the Temple of Pharasma on the western edge of town. As you cross the southern bridge, some of you happen to glance southward and notice a gathering of about a dozen people near a large object that glints bronze in the morning light. They're a few hundred feat away on the eastern bank of Ravengro stream, but you continue up Wing street towards the temple of Pharasma.

As Ravengro’s only religious structure, the temple is also the town’s most elaborate building. Its eastern facade displays an intricate stained-glass mural depicting a stern Pharasma judging a pious nobleman with hands stained red with blood. On the front steps, a grey robed young woman stands up from where she had been dozing against a pillar, blushing slightly.

"Welcome! I'm Myra. Are you here to volunteer for the procession? Or..." she notes Kristoph's armor and weapons, "perhaps you are looking to purchase some magic of some sort? We have several first tier healing potions available, along with some minor restorative potions, though we can make other things on special order."

Skill Prompts: (Trying this a different way.)
The procession of unforgotten souls, a Pharasmin rite leading up to the Day of Bones. It's a continual parade of one or more (alternating) worshippers of Pharasma that lasts for 7 days and nights, leading up to a Pharasmin holy day, the Day of Bones.
The Mural depicts the judgement of Count Andachi, one of Tamrivena’s (now Canterwall) most infamous previous rulers. He lacked the military genius of his forebears to hold against the orcs of the Hold of Belkzen, and his requests for aid from Desna and the Ustalavic Court went either ignored or mired in bureaucracy.

Desperate, he turned to Zon-Kuthon, who heeded his pleas and sent the warlord Kazavon, who quickly reorganized Tamrivena's army, brutally training them to be ruthless and efficient. Kazavon led the army across the border and massacred the disorganized orc hordes, but soon turned out to be a far greater threat to Ustalav than the orcs could even dream of being. Realizing the danger, Count Andachi raised an army and marched against Kazavon, but the damage had been done, and Count Andachi and his army were destroyed at the Battle of Screaming Tree.

Count Andachi is one of only a few cases confirmed to have been judged by Pharasma personally.
Whether the acolyte is herself ignorant of the formal names of spells, or is used to dealing with others who are, you're not sure. In any case, you understand that in practical terms the temple has potions of Cure Light Wounds and Lesser Restoration currently made and available, but with advance notice they can make whatever potion of first or second level you like.

Spore
2021-02-15, 05:00 AM

Drago steps forward, towering above the certainly skilled, but smaller young woman.
The potions would be interesting at a later date Myra. And I for my part will not run around in the rain trying to please Pharasma, but some of my friends here might.

Actually we want to speak to Father Grimburrow about a more delicate matter not to be discussed in public. Please fetch him for us, and we will overlook your lack of vigilance. Drago says, this time in a serious voice and without his trademark creeper smile.

matpal93
2021-02-15, 11:28 AM
Seeing the look on the young priestess's face, Hardor quickly adds "We do appreciate you getting the good father for us."

After she leaves, he turns to Drago with a flat look. "If we're going to ask a delicate question, it's best not the make the messenger dislike us. Insulting one of the clergy won't make Father Grimburrow more disposed to allow our request, which might get us all killed at Harrowstone."

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-15, 12:58 PM
DC 15 K. Religion - Does Kristoph automatically know this, since he is a devout Pharasman? If not, he barely fails...[roll0]
K. History/Lore Ustalav DC 18 - Kristoph cannot pass this check
K. Arcana DC 12 - Kristoph is not trained in Knowledge (Arcana)
Kristoph smiles broadly during the walk, though his smile turns to a disappointed shake of his head when he sees the drowsy acolyte. When Drago confronts her he is about to intervene, but seems to think better of it after a moment. He nods at Hardor's recommendations before adding, "Your talent for intimidation has already proven valuable, but sometimes a kinder approach is worthwhile. Please, let me take the lead when speaking with the Pharasmans. I would appreciate it."

Turning back to Myra, Kristoph smiles and says, "Just Father Grimburrow, please. Thank you." (Diplomacy check of 19, rolled OoC)

Farmerbink
2021-02-15, 04:30 PM
Elian strides along with a good-natured smile, soaking in the various sights of Ravengro. He pauses to appreciate the mural for several moments, and is late to arrive at the steps. Wincing, he offers a wan smile of apology to the young acolyte, and otherwise keeps his peace, awaiting the priest's arrival.

Spore
2021-02-16, 06:07 AM

Mr Cutov smiles but is actually hurt a bit. You can see that as well. You would know when I try to intimidate one. I was just making a joke. Yours will be the stage when talking to Father Grimburrow. He pats his medium sized leather bag, that he carries everywhere. It is a rectangular container but something vaguely orb-shaped is placed inside.

Adressing the acolyte a final time: I do apologize for my rude behaviour. We do need Pharasma's guidance in light of recent events. But it is nothing that can be solved by participating in your processions. You are doing a great job, but I stand by my point that one could easily slip in, if you stand guard rather than holding a candle vigil or similar. Drago means this in an earnest tone.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-16, 05:58 PM
Myra blushes a little deeper, but shrugs it off. "I'm sorry, but Father Grimburrow normally leaves things like consultations to us acolytes of the Grey Lady, even if they are sensitive. In any case, he's not actually here right now; Father Grimburrow attended the funeral yesterday and the effort took a lot out of him. He does have one foot in the Boneyard after all." she chuckles to herself, then leans in to whisper conspiratorially. "Some of us are convinced he's already half Vanth! But not to worry, if you'll follow me, I'll fetch one of the senior acolytes." She beckons you, continuing to chuckle quietly at her morbidly Pharasmin humor as she leads you inside the temple.

The inside of the temple seems to be entirely made of a strange granite with white portions that look more like marble and dark portions that are almost blue in coloration. Above, a wheel shaped arrangement of brilliantly shining glass orbs illuminates the the central meeting hall, and a brown, medium sized bird alternatively flits from the backs of benches to the shoulder of one acolyte or another. Myra leads you aside to a small office, then excuses herself to go fetch someone she calls "The Mitch".

A short time later, the office door opens, but the space you would expect to find occupied by the acolyte's face is empty. Letting your eyes travel down, you see a brown-bearded halfling wearing a silvery breastplate and armed with a pair of sheathed daggers. He closes the door behind him, and begins speaking as he makes is way to the other side of the desk. "I hear there's a matter of delicacy to be dealt with? In our experience, that generally means undeath, so Myra figured that I should be the one to meet with you. The name's Mitchell Copperhill, but if any of you refer to me as the "The Mitch" or "The Mitchet" I'll cut your fingers off, ya hear? Good." Behind the desk, Mitchel climbs onto a small stepping stool that puts the desk at just the right height for a standing halfling, then crosses his fingers in front of him. "Now then, what closet skeleton or haunted heirloom do you need taking care of?"

Skill Prompts (Note that checks with a DC of 10 or lower can be made untrained):
A fearsome medium sized CR 7 psychopomp that looks like death itself, with a skeletal body, raven wings, and a deadly scythe.
A whippoorwill, Pharasma's holy animal. The church of Pharasma sees the sight of a whippoorwill as a good omen from their goddess, while the sight of a dead whippoorwill is a sure sign of the goddess' displeasure. The following 4 things are commonly believed about whippoorwills in Ustalav. Roll 1d4 to see which one you know. For every 2 by which you beat the knowledge check, you know an additional belief:
Pharasma's servants travel using whippoorwills
The birds stay near dying people as they can eat spirits like a bird takes an insect.
Looking into their deep eyes causes death.
Killing a whippoorwill curses the killer to trail disease and sadness wherever they go, forever followed by the unsettling song of the birds.

Spore
2021-02-16, 08:29 PM

Don't assume he won't return when your time has come, Myra. He'll drag you through your most embarrassing life situations with every circle around the River of Souls, making your last journey most uncomfortable. Drago found his joke to be intellectually stimulating but even he would admit, it was once again misplaced, the humor horribly timed.

Inside, it is taking every ounce of volition for Drago not to kneel down to talk to the tiny cleric. Straight to the point. How do you want to be adressed. I am unfamiliar with the ranks of Pharasmin clergy, so it is either Mitch or Mister Copperhill. Or are we allowed to call you Father Copperhill?

Drago waves his large hand. Regardless... he ends in the middle of the sentence, remembering Kristoph's words. Kristoph here might want to ask something.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-16, 09:40 PM
The diminuitive man waves a dismissive hand. "Mitch or Mr. Copperhill is fine; I'm not a priest so 'Father' wouldn't really suit me. The priests spend most of their time studying or communing or healing or some other boring 'ing'. Me, I'm an inquisitor. Figure my size makes it easy to cut off zombie heads as they try to rise from the ground."

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-16, 09:48 PM
Kristoph smiles at both the awkward humor demonstrated by Drago and the more deliberate gallows-humor of his fellow Pharasman.

"Mitch, thank you for seeing us. The matter is potentially delicate, though we hope your talents won't be needed and it will all be a false alarm...The late Professor Lorrimor was investigating a threat of the Whispering Way when he died, and we have reason to believe that the old ruins of the prison are haunted. In the journal he passed on to us in his will he asked us to investigate a cache of weapons against the undead hidden in the Restlands in a false-tomb at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. With the church's permission we would like to investigate this cache, recover the tools inside, and use them in battle against the vile undead. As a devotee of the Lady of Graves I would not do so without the permission of either Father Grimburrow or his representative. May we do this, please, with the blessing of the Grey Lady?" asks Kristoph, making the sign of the spiral on his chest as he nods his head to the inquisitor.

Diplomacy [roll0]

Knowledge (Religion) DC 12 - [roll1]

Edit: ugh, my dice. Why?

Spore
2021-02-17, 08:03 AM

Ghosts to be more precise. Drago adds, satisfied with Kristoph taking the lead in the 'negotiation'. This may be propaganda to keep people away from the old Asylum or an old wives' tale, but I assume our group can readily deal with zombies and skeletons. Ghosts however do not respond as well to violence.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-17, 09:28 PM
Mitch scratches his beard. "I'm sorry, but I've been in Ravengro for years and have never heard of such a cache. A false crypt in the Restlands with secret weapons against undeath? Frankly, it sounds like a dream come true, and I suppose members of a previous hierarchy might have created something like that, but I can't imagine any of the modern priests doing something so melodramatic. I'll have someone check the temple records to see if there's any mention of such a place."

He pulls out a small piece of paper and begins scribbling a note, talking to you as he does. "As for Harrowstone... well I guess you wouldn't know since you're out-of-towners. Best to-- Eversleep and... Black Path? okay-- Best to tell you outright so you don't go getting yourselves into trouble. Harrowstone is ABSOLUTELY haunted, and not just by your garden variety restless spirits either. You said a crypt? Well there's only one crypt that could be... Even most of the priests won't go near Harrowstone, which really twists my beard because I'd bet my lunch there's at least a few zombies or skeletons I could slice up in there. Fortunately for all of us though, the spirits are confined to the prison itself and don't bother the town.

Mitch finishes his note, then steps down from his stool and weaves through you to the door. He goes to open it, then pauses, seeming to reconsider, then with a sigh opens the door and yells.

"RECORDS!"

There's a pause, and then a rustle as a masked bird the size of a large cat releases it's invisibility and lands on the floor in front of Mitch. It addresses him in Abyssal.
"Well, well, well. I certainly never expected YOU to summon me for anything Mitch!" the bird croaks pleasantly. To what do I owe this pleasure? Finally decided to do that research on ghoul saliva old Grimburrow asked you to do? Or are you just trying to impress one of the female acolytes with a fit of studiousness?"

"Come on Vesperil, you're the only one here who remembers that assignment and if you bring it up around others I'm actually going to have to do it!" Mitch complained.

"That's the idea. SO. Which one of th--"

"Oh gods no ya crazy bat." Mitch interrupted. "I need you to do a records search for anything that might mention this false crypt. I've got the details written here."

"You wound me, Mitchell. Fine then, as far as I'm concerned this is a step in the right direction for you. I'll be back in a few minutes." And with that the bird flies away, turning invisible as it does so.

The words of the conversation consist of deep tones that it feels like should be impossible for either the bird or the halfling to make, but both manage just fine. You can tell Mitch is anxious for the conversation to end and the bird seems a bit antagonistic or maybe reproachful. After a minute, Mitch hands the bird the piece of paper he wrote on and it flies away, turning invisible as it does.

OOC: If you like you can talk to Mitch while the bird is gone.

After a few minutes, the bird returns, and Mitch informs you that the temple has no record of any false crypts, filled with weapons against undeath or otherwise. He does promise to send some junior acolytes to check it out anyway though.

https://img.123clipartpng.com/nosoi-psychopomp-pathfinder-pfrpg-dnd-782969-png-images-pngio-pathfinder-psychopomp-clipart-1120_800.pngThe bird is a Nosoi psychopomp, a weird amalgam of dedicated scribe and librarian, incorrigible socialite, and dangerous foe of the undead.

Spore
2021-02-18, 08:52 AM

With your pragmatic attitude, I thought your ways were less cryptic, Mitch. It is true what they say. Pharasma's ways are shrouded in mystery. I hope your small companion does not surprise us at any junction when we eventually delve into Harrowstone. We could very well mistake it for a zombie bird and lob its head off a second time.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-18, 12:39 PM
"Apologies, Drago. Vesperil here speaks all the languages of the aligned planes; Celestial, Abyssal, and Infernal; but Abyssal is the only language we have in common. I'd hazard to guess that at least one of you has a shared language with him as well."

matpal93
2021-02-18, 03:18 PM
Hardor nods. "Indeed."

"Greetings and well met, outsider. We were hoping to investigate Harrowstone to see what Professor Lorrimor discovered there, specifically about the Whispering Way's operations there. The cache may contain tools for fighting the undead we find."

Farmerbink
2021-02-18, 03:35 PM
Elian inclines his head the the Halfling's introduction, and makes his own in kind. "Elian Evenstarr. Good day to you."

He listens politely as Mitch expounds on the situation. Frowning deeply at the Halfling's cavalier attitude regarding the haunting and the danger posed by a well-known, nearby source of some number of undead, "Bold..." he murmurs, confused and surprised.

A few moments later, he blinks when the grand avian begins to commune with their host. "Talking birds," Elian wonders aloud. "Now, surely, I've seen everything..."

As talk finally comes around to the inquisitor sending junior acolytes, Elian speaks up proper. "Excuse me, and pardon the interruption. If you do not object, we would very much like to volunteer to seek out this supposed cache. Given the nature of our errand, it might serve both as a boon to the church and a more direct aid in our own success and therefore survival for us to simply retrieve the items, and put them to their intended use."

No doubt this is a request a la diplomacy: [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-18, 09:55 PM
Kristoph watches and listens as the halfling inquisitor and speaking bird converse, noting when Hardor speaks in Celestial and saying,

"Yes, can you please help us find the weapons? The Lady of Graves would surely approve of our mission..."
When Elian speaks up, Kristoph agrees. "We do not wish to endanger anyone else, and hidden caches of weapons are usually protected by traps at least, if not guardians of some kind. If anyone goes to investigate, please encourage discretion first, or let us join them..."

NikolaTesla
2021-02-19, 06:20 PM
The birdlike psychopomp makes a clucking noise, which after a moment you realize is laughter. "Well aren't you all just as gung-ho about things as Mitch is! But my role is as a record keeper; the temple's collection is the most extensive in town, so it is important that I continue in the duty Father Grimburrow called me from the Boneyard to do."

Mitch takes no notice of the comment, apparently not understanding the holy language, and looks thoughtful at the party members' requests to explore the crypt themselves. "I'm still pretty sure there's nothing there, but I suppose if you promised to bring back whatever you DO find..." He's interrupted by the bird speaking in the deep tones of abyssal again.

"Actually Mitch, we don't really have much claim to whatever is there without any records. If they intend to fight against the undead, and they're the one's who supposedly know where the cache is..."

The inquisitor listens to the words, then shrugs noncommittally. "Well, I guess it makes no difference if you keep what you find then. If there's something there then it certainly wasn't doing us any good. HOWEVER. If the crypt appears to be real after all, don't just go barging in on the dead, ya hear? If I'm willing to cut off fingers over being called a midget, just imagine what both Vesperil here and I would do if you decided to go grave robbing, eh?"

Midmorning, 19 Calistril, Trust 21

The Restlands are not a far walk from the temple and you get there quickly, though on your way out you catch some muttered whispers about "the monument". The false crypt mentioned in the professor’s journal is located in the northeast corner of the Restlands, near the junction of the paths known as the Eversleep and the Black Path. The crypt itself is a freestanding granite mausoleum, the roof of which is decorated with a pair of leering gargoyle statues. A single stone door with a rusty-looking lock sits in the mausoleum’s south facade.

Skill Prompts
Examination of the lock reveals that it is broken, it's clasp apparently melted by acid and then carefully put back into place so that to casual observation the lock appears intact. With the lock removed, the door looks like it can be pushed open.
[roll0]

NikolaTesla
2021-02-19, 06:21 PM
[roll0]

Forgot that you can't preview a post with rolls in it.

Farmerbink
2021-02-19, 09:31 PM
Elian raises his hands disarmingly to the Halfling. "Believe me, I'm of no mind to disturb the duly interred. And besides, You'd probably have to race Kristoph here for the honors."

He pauses briefly, before adding. "In all sincerity, we are most certainly on the same team. If I could prove it more thoroughly, I would gladly do so."
Elian's DC for intimidate is (I believe) 12, so Mitch failed. But Elian wasn't planning on doing any grave-robbing anyway, so it's easy enough to play it off either way.

On their way to the gravesite, Elian spends the time speaking jovially with his newfound companions. "So if the prison is known to be haunted by undead, isn't Pharasma pretty... uh... clear about all that? I'd think they'd want a more active role in cleansing the place...."

Spore
2021-02-20, 06:58 AM

Drago locks eyes with the diminuitive inquisitor. He rummages in his bag, and reveals the spheric object to be a human skull. The left half of the jaw is missing and some part of the cheekbones seem to be caved in. Its owner likely met a violent demise. A menacing aura surrounds the whole object, almost palpable.

I'd rather my hand would not be forced to reveal this so soon, but your threat left me without choice. These are the remains of my father, I did not take them here, nor am I willing to part with them during my visit. I may look like a graverobber at first second and third glance,

Drago brandishes his shovel with the other hand.

But my word has to be enough to assure you of my intent to help, not to harm. If that is not enough I will stay back here in your presence, Mitch. I will not want my presence to risk our endeavor.

The thing is necromantic in nature.

I am not a fan of social rolls against players, I am afraid, but the situation would call for such a reveal.

NikolaTesla
2021-02-20, 12:50 PM
Mitch looks absolutely shocked at the appearance of the skull and about ready to draw his daggers, but he hesitates and notes that the skull isn’t animated. ”Well, that WOULD be awkward if that was found on your person after visiting the Restlands...” He subtly repositions himself between the psychopomp and Drago. Fortunately, the bird had been preening itself and didn’t understand common.

”However, the Grey Lady is the goddess of death. Grave robbing is still blasphemous, but so long as that thing is never animated, the mere possession of human bone isn’t going to get you struck down... probably. Just get it out of here, and I strongly encourage you to bury it the first chance you get.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-20, 01:35 PM
Kristoph watches and listens as the outsider, halfling, and others discuss plans. When it becomes clear that the party will be allowed to investigate the hidden cache he smiles and is about to go when Mitch warns the party against graverobbing. "I wouldn't allow it..." he starts, before Drago's more direct response stops him. The knight watches closely, already confident that there is a good reason for the gravedigger to have the skull in his possession. At Mitch's words Kristoph nods and asks, "Are we alright to go, then? I would like to be done at the cache with enough time to see the ruins before it's too late. Best to investigate a haunted prison in the daylight than after dusk..."

Farmerbink
2021-02-20, 03:54 PM
At the false crypt, Elian takes point to immediately survey the mausoleum. "Hmmm... Someone beat us here. I suppose obviously- we knew the professor came here too... Would he have burned through the lock with acid?" He fidgets awkwardly for just a few moments before putting his hand cautiously to the door.

Elian is a capable scout, if not a fabulous one. He has dark vision and semi-respectable modifiers, so I'm perfectly content for him to take point on these sorts of investigations.

[roll0] perception (he does not have trapfinding- so no bonuses nor ability with magical traps)
[roll1] stealth

"Eyes up, people."

Spore
2021-02-21, 08:11 PM

Drago just shrugs at Mitch's suggestion to bury his father's head. I'll do so, once I find a place worthy of his character. Then he is off.

At the tomb
Drago examines the damages on the lock. That looks like strong stuff. Not cheap either. Someone knew where to look after this. The average graverobber does not spend a good ten lions on acid, they just pick the lock. In case the robber was capable of magic, this of course makes it all the more difficult.

Stand back, for I don't want to trigger any traps that affect more than one.

taking 10 on Perception for 17 plus a use of Inspiration for the day: [roll0]

matpal93
2021-02-22, 12:12 PM
"This is a crypt in a Pharasmin-protected graveyard. There will be, at the very most, some protective measures. It'll be fine. It'll be fine."

Having said that, he speaks a word and a faint blue aura surrounds the wizard's torso.

casting Mage Armor, current AC 16

Sleepy Shade
2021-02-22, 05:00 PM
Nezumi Taylor

Nezumi walked over to the old mans grave. He was just shy of four feet tall wearing a simple set of over coat shirt and brown pants. His fur was black but well groomed unlike most civilized species he had no shoes only a simple foot binding. In a somber tone he talks to Professor Lorrimor's grave "Sorry I'm late Professor rain and blasted mud caught me. Well better late than never." He sat down taking his backpack off. "Well I would offer you a drink but money is tight. Though I doubt I could ever repay your patience sticking with me and making sure I got my head screwed on straight after that crypt fiasco. Still I hope to ..." He over hears some people talking suddenly looking over he sees some group huddled around a crypt "What the...? Sorry professor looks like I'll be cutting my visit short. See ya later" He gets up slings on his back pack and draws his cross bow.
As he draws close he aims at the group and calls out "HEY what the devil are you lot doing?!"

matpal93
2021-02-22, 06:25 PM
Looking very pleased to turn from the unknown dangers of the crypt to the social dangers of a ratfolk busybody, Hardor faces the smaller person down and responds to the call with "We are associates of the late Professor Petros Lorrimor, investigating this crypt with the express permission of the Pharasmin church, in connection with the last, unfinished investigation of his life. We don't need overzealous mourners interfering with our continuation of his work."

Sleepy Shade
2021-02-22, 07:20 PM
Nezumi Taylor

Nezumi looks a the group not quite sure what to make of them. Still he lower his crossbow. "Hmm it dosn't sound like your lying but the professor did alot of things you got some proof? I've got unfinished buisness my self with the late professor." He scratches his chin thinking. "Got contacted by some guy said he was the lawyer enacting the will. I'm supposed to help his kid you should know their name right? That is if your his friends." He had not put away the crossbow but was no longer aiming it at them.

matpal93
2021-02-22, 07:43 PM
As soon as the ratman lowers his crossbow and mentions the Professor's will, Hardor's face softens.
"Oh, one of the others mentioned in the will.""In that case, you may wish to join us. Myself and each of my companions were also mentioned in the late Professor's will, which tasked us with delivering some sensitive books in his possession to his colleagues in Caliphas. A journal of his stored with them mentioned the nearby ruin of Harrowstone, where he was prying into the activities of the cult known as the Whispering Way. We were looking for some tools supposedly stored in this mausoleum to help us continue his investigations at Harrowstone."

Sleepy Shade
2021-02-22, 08:49 PM
Nezumi Taylor
Nezumi still dosn't put the crossbow away at first. " Yeah the will mentioned a bunch of stuff books and that a few others were going to help out." he finally puts the crossbow away. "Alright for now I'll trust you." and if there a bunch'a liars I'll sic the constable on them he thought.

Farmerbink
2021-02-23, 03:10 PM
Elian snickers in quiet amusement. He smiles easily at the newcomer, "Friend, there's no need to qualify such statements. Trust is ever a fickle thing, no?" Nodding towards the supposedly false crypt, he raises an eyebrow questioningly. "Though I feel almost obligated to ask, how well do you see in the dark?"

I know we're mixing a few things up, but Elian is still content to scout, most of the time. Not to be a jerk, but in my experience, moving things along is always worthwhile.

To that end, if Nezumi wants to take point (seems unlikely, given his dialogue thus far), Elian will let him. Otherwise, as they say, 'get on with it!' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXE8LdXzeHM)

Sleepy Shade
2021-02-23, 07:14 PM
Nezumi Taylor
Nezumi looks over at the chuckling man "Whats the saying trust is earned not given." He walks up to the group and looks over at the crypt "My eye sight is pretty good in the dark. But I still haven't gotteen any names from any of you so I'll go first my name is Nezumi."

Spore
2021-02-23, 10:49 PM

Drago glances at the newcomer shortly before returning to his work. Realizing they might be able to help, he turns away finally. I am sorry, who were you again? I believe proper introductions are in order. My name is Drago Cutov, alchemist and late Lorrimor's right hand man. These are Kristoph Harrison and Elian Evenstar. The mage is known as Hardor Sentas. He points at the various people.

Now you don't look like a cat burglar... he smiles content at his joke. but I think this crypt could have a magic trap. Since none of my arcane colleagues deems to lower themselves to check it with me, maybe you want to? Even if the implication of a ratfolk was intentional, Drago did not show any signs of maliciousness.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-23, 11:47 PM
Kristoph smiles at the newcomer and offers his gloved hand in welcome. "Good day, friend. I do hope we can earn your trust, though you have no reason to suspect graverobbing here," the Pharasman paladin gestures to himself and the holy symbol of Pharasma emblazoned on his tunic. "Though the Church doesn't seem to know what to make of me, I have been burdened with the responsibilities of a paladin, though I worship the Lady of Graves. It is a bit odd, I'm sure, but I would have no desecration of the peaceful dead in my presence. You look like you know how to handle that crossbow - did you have to use it in support of the late Professor?"

Sleepy Shade
2021-02-24, 03:22 PM
Nezumi Taylor
Nezumi rolls his eyes at the joke. "Alright let me take a look at it". Nezumi begins inspecting the door checking for traps. It reminded him alot of how he got to meet the profesor the first time. Then the paladin ask about his history with the professor "Well I'm not sure where to begin on that one. He contacted me after I got possesed by some spirit. Studyed me, helped me and made sure whatever got me didn't try it again. I got held up by the rain and muck so I wasn't able to get here in time for the burial."

Perception [roll0]

NikolaTesla
2021-02-24, 04:57 PM
Once Nezumi is satisfied that there are no traps, you push open the door to reveal a set of steps that steeply descend into the cold earth. The backlit illumination from the open door casts long shadows, giving the decorative stone tiling of the floor a distinctly spooky feel and casting the numerous niches in the sides of the crypt into shadow. Those with low-light or dark vision can see that these niches are all empty of any dead. Two closed doors are set into the back wall of the room.

Looking in, Elian also notes obvious footsteps in the dust and dirt, likely belonging to the late professor.

Link to Map (https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1SOje4761im_vFYWikDNRZCM_XPHiBNdM4961Qo0qzjk/edit?usp=sharing)

I've placed simple icons of the character art on your sheets for use as tokens. If your sheet had no art I just used an image of the iconic character. You're welcome to change your icons however you like. Your positions on the map are also not set; you can place them however you wish.

Skill Prompts:
The tracks lead to the left (top on the map) door.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-25, 10:30 PM
Kristoph nods at the ratfolk's explanation. "He was a good man, fighting - in his own way - for good people. You are welcome to come with us as we try to honor his work," the half-elf says with a smile. Then, he turns to look into the false-tomb, immediately noting the lack of dead bodies lying at rest. "It does seem to be a ruse - this is not an actual burial site. Now, which door shall we try first...?"

Survival (untrained) [roll0]
Unable to make heads or tails of the tracks in the dust, Kristoph stays second-to-the-front, right behind anyone looking at the footprints but careful not to mess them up. He draws his longsword and heavy steel shield, holding both with the confidence of many hours of practice.

Spore
2021-02-25, 10:40 PM
AC: 16 HP: 10/10
touch: 12 ff: 14 CMD: 16

Drago lights his lantern and shoulders his shovel. Wordlessly he proceeds ahead, looking left and right to catch some noteworthy names.

Perception [roll0] (is actually +7, so 14)
I took the liberty to move myself on the grid.

Sleepy Shade
2021-02-26, 11:34 AM
Nezumi Taylor

Nezumi walks into the crypt and looks down at the footprints on the floor "Seems like the proffesor was here."He walks over to the doors carful not to disturb the foot prints already there.

Survival [roll0]
Perception to check for traps [roll1]
I moved my self on the grid.

matpal93
2021-02-26, 04:37 PM
As the others move into the crypt, Hardor nervously follows them, lighting up his compass with a quick incantation. Following the example of not disturbing the footsteps in the dust, he moves along the left wall, noting the empty alcoves. Hardor whispers up to Kristoff "Are you sure there were never any dead interred here?"

NikolaTesla
2021-02-27, 07:18 PM
The crypt is eerily quiet between the questions and answers of the party, the thick walls blocking out sound from the outside and the layer of dirt and dust dampening any sound of footsteps. The alcoves appear empty, though several bear cracks and fissures separating the stone and mortar. Several of you attempt to follow the tracks to see where they might lead, but unfortunately you're not quite sure which (if either) door they lead into.

OOC: The room is at a low light level. Perception and Survival skill checks did not reveal anything. So, who wants to try a door?

DarkOne-Rob
2021-02-27, 09:15 PM
"Never is a very long time, Hardor, but I am sure they aren't in use now and that we aren't breaking Pharasma's precepts so far. Do not worry - I take my faith very seriously," replies Kristoph as he moves for a door...

1 = left, 2 = right: [roll0]

matpal93
2021-02-27, 09:47 PM
That's not what I was worried about...

As the paladin goes to open the door, Hardor nervously takes what he hopes is a readied stance and prepares to strike anything that jumps out of the door with a splash of acid.

Sleepy Shade
2021-02-28, 05:24 PM
Nezumi Taylor
Nezumi takes a moment and backs up. "Not sure which one would be right but lets take some precautions. Any one has any rope? We can open the door witout anyone infront of it"

NikolaTesla
2021-02-28, 10:21 PM
Nezumi tries to warn Kristoph to slow down, but he's already there and opens the left door. Thankfully, no traps spring to life (or death, as it were), and the room beyond seems unremarkable except for another set of stone stairs leading deeper underground. His lowlight vision fails him beyond that point, but once someone with darkvision looks or someone makes a light, you can see a single large sarcophagus in the center of the room beyond. The tracks on the ground continue, but apparently the professor did enough pacing around that the tracks are too confused to follow to any particular place.

Map Link (https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1SOje4761im_vFYWikDNRZCM_XPHiBNdM4961Qo0qzjk/edit?usp=sharing)

OOC: Feel free to move your own tokens on the map in accordance with your post. If you set off any boobytraps I'll let you know and you can strikethrough anything that gets preempted.

Spore
2021-03-01, 10:14 AM

There is a sarcophagus ahead. Drago says, eschewing the explanation why a human sees as well in the dark as any dwarf or orc. The chemist advances towards the place of rest, slowly and deliberately. Rat! he shouts.maybe another look at the sarcophagus? He beckons the others to come closer, while he studies the inscription if there is any.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-01, 06:11 PM
Kristoph follows Drago into the darkness, lighting a torch so he can see well enough to not trip on the stairs. "His name is 'Nezumi,' Drago. He was a friend of the Professors - we should try to be friendly," he quietly and gently chides the other man with a smile that shows it is truly meant kindly. Then, louder he says, "I'm not versed in traps, and if I were hiding weapons I would do what I could to protect them. Are any of you knowledgeable enough in that field to search around, make sure we don't set something off?"

As someone (hopefully) steps up he grips his shield firmly in one hand, the torch held high in the other, and looks around the false tomb, watching for signs of surprising dangers...

Perception [roll0]

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-01, 09:04 PM
Nezumi Taylor
Nezumi doesn't immediately respond. Walking over to the sarcophagus he takes a look running his hand over the top of it looking for any writing. The large vase or jar over in the corner also perks his interest but for now he focuses on the sarcophagus. "I don't mind the nicknames down here Baldy, but up top and in town call me by my name." He wasn't angry but right now he was focused on detecting traps and wasn't comfortable enough around the group just yet.

NikolaTesla
2021-03-03, 12:05 PM
The writing is in the celestial script but it's complete nonsense.

Despite the group's heightened awareness as they explore the false crypt, they do not detect any traps, undead, or other dangers in the room.

Spore
2021-03-04, 06:03 AM

Sorry, Nezumi, I was trying to be practical and I forgot your name. I am Drago, but you can call me Baldy if you want. The huge man investigates the script. Sorry, I am not versed in this script, can one translate it? Or should be just remove the sarcophagus and be done with it? If you allow it, Kristoph.

Where to hide magical items if not in a death bed of one of Pharasma's boneyards. Even if thieves break in here, they would struggle with the lid.

Farmerbink
2021-03-04, 10:58 AM
Elian breaks his uncharacteristic silence a few paces behind the crypt. "A clever ruse, indeed. It would take a special blend of foolishness and bravado to lightly breach the door at all, much less root around in a sarcophagus among Pharasma's blessed. I just hope we find something useful in here. I don't know about you all, but I find all this distinctly uncomfortable." The lithe man visibly fidgets with his hands and the handle of his sheathed blade.

He glances around uneasily. "Please, go ahead and open it."

Sorry for being out of pocket- I spent the weekend driving across Texas, helping my brother move (not DarkOne, the other brother XD), and then driving home. Should be getting back to normal for now, though the family descends on us this coming weekend for a funeral... :smallsigh:

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-04, 06:13 PM
Nezumi Taylor
"I understand Drago. I've had worst nicknames and you can call me Nez if you want to." Nezumi get's out of the way he wasn't very strong and didn't want to be by the coffin when it was opened or obstructing the others when they moved it. He goes over to the North east corner and takes a quick look at the urn.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-04, 11:07 PM
"Go ahead and do it - I think we're alright. If we find a corpse, replace the cover and I will take the blame back at the chapel," responds Kristoph as he continues to look around, also distrustful of the false tomb...

Spore
2021-03-05, 04:09 AM

Drago nods, but sighs a bit internally. He was strong enough to lift the lid on his own, he could almost carry the sarcophagus out by himself. But if the thing triggered a trap, he did not want to be the guy that dropped someone's coffin lid onto the floor, breaking it. Regardless, he put the shovel to the side and his lantern onto the floor, so the grave was put into an ominous light as the flame only lit the ceiling, leaving a huge shadow to raise the lid. You guys again wonder how a human can see so precisely in the dark.

The lid is pulled aside a bit, with the typical hollow grind of stone on stone, and it reveals...

cue the dm.

NikolaTesla
2021-03-06, 07:04 PM
While Nezumi peers inside the urn, which vaguely smells of incense or perfume long gone, Drago opens the sarcophagus, bracing himself for some kind of trap. The lid slides to the side, and...

nothing.

Well, nothing deadly at least. Inside the sarcophagus however, looks to be everything. Arrows, some silver, others weirdly translucent; vials of water with the holy symbol of Pharasma on the front; potions with a light blue coloration, others faintly green, several rolled up scrolls, and a dark wooden case with an image of a scarab with a single eye glaring from its back—the same design that appears on the cover of the professor's locked book. With no apparent danger from the false sarcophagus, the rest of the party timidly gathers around to examine its contents.

The first round shocks you with the sheer number of magical auras inside the sarcophagus, but on the second round you're able to distinguish 29 magical auras, the strongest of which is emanating from something inside the box that has an aura of moderate strength.

On the third round, you're able to locate each aura:

6 vials of Holy Water
These are each potions of Cure Light Wounds
These are both potions of Lesser Restoration
Each of the 4 scrolls is magical, two identically so. See "Read Scroll" spoilers.
5 Ghost Touch Arrows (Note that while they do have a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls due to them being masterwork, they do not grant a +1 to damage since we are using automatic bonus progression)
2 Undead Bane Arrows (Note that while they do have a +1 enhancement bonus to attack rolls due to them being masterwork, they do not grant a +1 to damage since we are using automatic bonus progression)
Inside, the box is set with padded velvet, and set into it are several objects. First, 4 iron and glass vials containing tiny churning clouds of vapor, along with 6 empty spots for more of the vials. Second, a solid brass planchette, and a fine wooden board marked with each letter of the Taldan (common) script. Each of the vials and the planchette detects as magical:
These 4 vials are each Haunt Siphons (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/h-l/haunt-siphon/)
Brass Spirit Planchette (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/r-z/spirit-planchette/)

The dark wooden case is made of Darkwood and is worth 50gp.

Inside, the box is set with padded velvet, and set into it are several objects. First, 4 iron and glass vials containing tiny churning clouds of vapor, along with 6 empty spots for more of the vials. Second, a solid brass planchette, and a fine wooden board marked with each letter of the Taldan (common) script. See Detect Magic spoiler for more details.

22 of the arrows appear to have silver heads, but they are not magical.

6 vials of Holy Water

These are each potions of Cure Light Wounds

These are both potions of Lesser Restoration

This is a scroll of Detect Undead

These are both scrolls of Hide from Undead

This is a scroll of Protection from Evil

In every case that you try to identify a magical item with Spellcraft, you may also attempt a K. Arcana check to find out the school of magic. It won't give you as much information, but the DC tends to be a little lower.

Farmerbink
2021-03-06, 10:57 PM
As Drago places his heavy hands on the lid, Elian mutters a brief incantation. Opening his eyes once more, a faint silver sheen seems to have slid in place over his pupils. Unbidden, he hisses in surprise and discomfort for a moment, his eyebrows furrowed in focus and determination. Almost before it's obvious that nothing immediately dangerous is happening he steps forward. "Stars above, this is a great boon. Old friend, it seems we're still in your debt..."

Now standing over the empty (of corpses) sarcophagus, Elian looks on the cache. "So many auras... almost... Ah, almost too many to keep track of..." Seemingly in a daze, thanks to the effort of maintaining the spell, he begins to root through the carefully stacked contents.

"These are fairly straightforward," he begins, setting aside the clear vials with the delicacy that one typically reserves for fine china or explosives. "Six vials of holy water, no doubt blessed by Pharasma's faithful." He gestures to the light blue jars. "Standard curative draughts. I recommend we each take one."

He turns tot he dark green vials, frowning in thought. "I... I know I've seen these. I know this... They're... damnit, I can't piece it together. I'm gonna kick myself later, though."

He lifts the arrows, placing them by the holy water. "I... I'm still bothered over those vials," the man admits with chagrin. "It's distracting me. But it doesn't take an archmage to figure- magic arrows are for hurting... something.... even better, yeah?"

Almost lovingly, Elian opens the dark box, and gasps again. "Oh my, that's. Wow. This is a great boon, indeed. With this planchette, we can commune with the spirits who have gone before us. If this place is really, truly haunted, ahhh, it could be both beneficial and dangerous..."

Spore
2021-03-07, 08:44 AM

The alchemist nods and takes the green draughts. It was a bit embarassing to him he did not catch the healing potions but he points at the vials in order.

Holy Water.
Healing and restoring potions.

The scrolls however elude me. he adds after a bit of thought. Hardor? These should pose no challenge for a mage. He passes the scriptures to the wizard.

matpal93
2021-03-07, 11:25 AM
At the sound of his name, Hardor seems to come to himself again, a load of stress almost literally draining from his face. muttering a word in Draconic, a silver film similar to Elian's overtakes his eyes as he takes the scrolls from Drago.

As he begins to peruse them, he comments, chagrined "I actually didn't prepare for reading scrolls today, since I feared a more dangerous situation than this one. However, I can tell you that these two both work as a sort of arcane camouflage against the senses of the undead."

After stowing them safely in his pack for further study, the mage joins Elian in earnest in examining the contents of the sarcophagus. Picking up the green potions Elian set aside, he says, "Ah. Lesser restorative potions, useful for minor curses and poisons." After taking one of the healing draughts, he turns to the arrows. "Hmmm. I can't make out what these five are, but these last two... they seem to be enchanted against the undead, and would be especially effective against them. The remainder seem simply to have silver heads."

As Elian opens the box with a gasp, Hardor joins him in examining it. He is able to decipher the use of the vials, which he calls haunt siphons, used to trap the necromantic energy that powers the occult entities. Hardor's companions can clearly see through all of this how much more comfortable he seems rummaging through scrolls and potions than delving the dungeon depths.

NikolaTesla
2021-03-07, 05:28 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

As the party joyfully examines the tools the late professor guided them to, the false crypt finally reveals it's denizens. From out of the empty alcoves of the upper room slither 2 mani-legged insects the size of a man, slipping in through the narrow crevices in the stone. Hearing the party's examinations below, and finding themselves rather hungry after a disappointing hunt, they stealthily slip down the stairs, intent on making lunch of Kristoph before you finish your examinations.

[roll7]

Both attack Kristoph in the surprise round:
[roll8]
[roll=Damage]1d6-1[/roll
[roll9]
[roll10]
Make a fortitude save for each successful hit.

Those who beat either of the insect's stealth checks may act in the surprise round. Don't worry if you're low in the initiative, we'll resolve any discrepancies when the round is over.

Skill Prompts:

These two are giant centipedes (vermin). They tend to be skittish, but they are carnivorous.
Their bite carries an immobilizing venom.
Their best save is Fortitude, and their best stat is Dexterity

NikolaTesla
2021-03-07, 05:29 PM
Damage reroll:

[roll0]

NikolaTesla
2021-03-07, 05:41 PM
Sorry for the triple post :smallredface:

Looks like I'll be able to put the map in the IC after all.

Initiatives:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Link to Map (https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1SOje4761im_vFYWikDNRZCM_XPHiBNdM4961Qo0qzjk/edit?usp=sharing)

Spore
2021-03-07, 11:47 PM

Drago quickly turns around picking up his shovel and tries to shoo the beasts away. It seems he has gained a somewhat precise understanding of how a shovel can be used in combat, as his swings rival those of sword fighters. If asked, he would admit his massive frame and strength was a considerable factor too.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-08, 12:06 AM
Nezumi Taylor
Nezumi was disapointed that their wasn't anything hidden in the urn. He turns around as the others start listing off what sound like a veritable trove of equipment when he suddenly hears someone curse something. Looking around it looks like some large bugs had decided to drop in "Crawlers!" He pulls both of his blades a short sword and dagger out and prepares to rush over.

Move and Standard action to draw blades.
end turn
Ooc:yeah I don't have much to do this round

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-08, 09:20 PM
Kristoph Harrisson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2066299)
Male Lawful Good Half-Elf Paladin 1, Level 1, Init 3, HP 10/13, Speed 30 ft. Base
AC 16, Touch 11, Flat-footed 15, CMD 14, Fort 4, Ref 1, Will 2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
Longsword (N/A) +3 (1d8+2, 19-20/x2)
Studded Leather, Heavy Steel Shield (+3 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 18
Condition Smite Evil (0/1 Used)
"Ow! Look out, everyone!" cries Kristoph as he hops to the side, draws his sword, and slashes at the centipede that bit him. "Filthy scavengers! That hurt!"

Fortitude Save - [roll0] (auto-pass from the natural 20)

5-ft step out of the middle of the room
Move action to draw longsword
Standard to attack the centipede that bit him: [roll1] to hit, [roll2] (19-20/x2), [roll3] slashing damage, [roll4] critical strike damage (probably a hit, not a critical)

matpal93
2021-03-09, 09:00 AM
Not able to suppress a slight yell at spinning around to see the man-sized creatures, Hardor reacts almost instinctively, following his first yell with a second, calling forth a translucent bolt of energy that smashes into the bug closer to him.

[roll0]

Farmerbink
2021-03-09, 04:07 PM
A little slow on the uptake, Elian eventually realizes the party is in danger despite his awe at the spirit planchette. For better or worse, he's in the thick of it, and draws his sword cane to make use of it. A little uneasily, he lunges with the thin blade, hoping to help Kristoph handle the attack.

Elian Evenstar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2088352)
M NG Dhampir Mesmerist 1 (Spirit Walker), Level 1, Init 3, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 12, Fort 1, Ref 5, Will 3, CMB -1, Base Attack Bonus 0
Sword Cane +3 (1d6, x2)
Dagger +3 (1d4, 19-20, x2)
Sling +3 (1d4, x2)
Studded leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 8, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 19
Condition None

[roll0] sword cane attack
[roll1] CC (23, x2)
[roll2] damage
[roll3] crit bonus

NikolaTesla
2021-03-10, 12:00 PM
Drago is the first to respond, wheeling around and braining one of the monsters with his shovel and leaving a clanging noise ringing in the air. Meanwhile, Kristoph recoils away from the bite and brings down his sword on the other insect, though the growing numbness emanating from the bite seems to slow his swing slightly. It rises up, screeching, before a flash of light from a frightened Hardor knocks it over backwards. Both of the creatures grow still, and do not move again besides the occasional twitch from one of their dozens of legs.

End Combat, 80 XP each

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-10, 04:01 PM
With a fencer's salute, Kristoph acknowledges Drago's excellent hit. "Well done, everyone. I'm glad no one else was bitten - it hurt, and I think I can feel the tell-tale signs of poison. I'll be alright, I think, but it could have been much uglier," he says, looking at the remains of the centipedes for a moment before turning back to the treasure. "The professor wasn't kidding - this is quite a trove. I think there is plenty here and that we will need it checking out the prison. Let's go thank the clergy - especially Mitch - and get up to the ruins. It's better to explore a place like that during the daylight. We can see how bad it is and then decide when to eat lunch and how far to explore..."

The paladin takes a potion of CLW, a vial of Holy Water, and then looks at the planchette for a moment. "How does it work?" he asks, mostly to Elian, but open to anyone else to answer as well. "The box looks well made, probably worth a good fifty gold coins or so."

Kristoph isn't able to add much, but maybe I can appraise the box: [roll0]. Otherwise, I think we are good to go. We don't have to RP thanking the Pharasmans, but Kristoph would do so on the way out of the cemetery to look at the prison ruins.

Farmerbink
2021-03-10, 06:19 PM
Elian is as surprised as anyone by the rapid dispatch of the vermin. "I see I was right about you, Drago," he mutters with a smile. Having not even gotten to use the blade, he doesn't bother to clean it before re-sheathing it. "Indeed," Elian replies. "The other Pharasmins will be good friends to have, and horrible enemies to make. I'll gladly go with you to express our gratitude, though they ultimately weren't tremendously involved."

A moment later, he glances back down at the brass device in question with an unreadable expression. "It's ah, simple but complicated," the lithe man responds. "In short, we can use it to ask a question of the spirits that inhabit a place. They.... uh," he smirks with a little hint of danger, "They don't usually like to be forced like that. Sometimes they attack your mind, and sometimes they lie to you, but they almost always answer.... for better or worse."

Spore
2021-03-11, 02:08 PM

It would be pretty ironic for a Pharasman to meet their end in a Boneyard of their Lady, and by the way of creepy crawlies no less. Drago answers Kristoph. He turns to Elian's praise. Lorrimor employed me mainly for my direct approach to trouble. the butch man responds, though you can see him firming his muscles a bit, being proud of the compliment.

His move having sprayed most of the innards of the beetle onto the crypt floor, Drago stands on the bent shovel, trying to bend the iron back into shape. As this is finished, he picks up a centipede, twisting its head off with his fingers. A satisfying - or spine-chilling - pop and crack makes it obvious to the onlisteners that he was successful. The Pharasman gravetender needs to keep a better eye on vermin. They are far more likely to inhabit graves and threaten visitors than undead. he adds with true concern.

He picks the bodies of the creatures up, wanting to tidy up the mess they made. I take these with us. Corpses only attract other vermin again. Mitch will be ever thankful for our generous gifts. Maybe he wants to catch one for riding. Drago smiles softly.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-11, 04:30 PM
Kristoph smiles. "Many Pharasmans lack the...fortitude, shall we say...to enjoy some good-humored ribbing. Mitch seems like he might, though. And you are right about the vermin, though these are unusually large - most graves have their share of worms and such, but they don't usually grow like these did." The paladin shrugs and helps clean the remains a little, though he seems less concerned in the false-tomb.

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-12, 08:17 AM
Nezumi Taylor
Nezumi sheathed his blades thankful he had not needed them. He walks back over to the stash of undead slaying weapons giving a whistle "Geez you wern't kidding about this being a mother load." He picks up one of the arrows looking it over and asks "So you heading back to the professor's house now?Or we going to go talk to these Pharasman guys?"

Farmerbink
2021-03-12, 09:50 PM
"The day is yet young," Elian interjects. He turns to the paladin with a solicitous expression. "If you'd like, Kristoph, we can return to Mister Copperhill first. Else, I suggest we venture to Harrowstone and pick up where the Professor left off."

Spore
2021-03-13, 03:32 AM

I will carry these body parts out of here. It is just your call if I bother Miss Lorrimor with them. Drago adds, heavily suggesting the Pharasmites. Besides they maybe want to know of a fake crypt and dangerous critters.

NikolaTesla
2021-03-14, 12:20 AM
Midday, 19 Calistril, 4711 AR, Trust: 21

Once the items have been gathered up from the fake sarcophagus, the 5 of you make your way back into the sunlight and out of the resting place of the dead, however fake. Despite some sidelong glances from at first the party and then later some townsfolk, Drago half carries, half drags the remains of the insects with you back to the Pharasmin temple.

The temple is just as beautiful as you left, it with it's white walls and large stained glass artwork towering above you. The acolyte Myra is still on duty when you arrive, and though now wide awake she has to stifle a gag at Drago's grisly prizes. She's all to eager to go and fetch Inquisitor Copperhill.

Mitch is dismissive of the warnings about critters disturbing visitors, remarking that "They're just Gozreh's half-hearted effort at keeping necromancers away from the dead.", but he seems genuinely surprised that you found anything in the crypt. If anyone mentions the planchette however, his expression sours slightly as he tells you that there's rumors flying around town about angry spirits. Half the town seems to have some random story or another, but best Mitch can tell it all got started by some juvenile prank on the Harrowstone memorial in the southern part of town this morning.

In the end, he wishes you luck in whatever purpose you intend to use the tools you found for, and asks that you not bring the centipedes into the town square, as there are often children playing there.

OOC: You're now outside the temple of Pharasma. What do you do next?

Farmerbink
2021-03-15, 01:55 PM
Elian frowns at Mitch's commentary regarding angry spirits, deeply concerned for both the value and potential danger of the planchette he carries. Back outside the temple, he turns to his companions. "Let's go see what this 'prank' may have been, and then get on with our investigation of the prison proper. Shall we?"

Barring objections, I vote we go to the memorial just mentioned to see what happened and then to Harrowstone

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-15, 11:13 PM
"I heartily agree - if we have the tools to investigate unruly spirits, and there is anything really happening at the memorial it is probably connected with Harrowstone. Let's go," Kristoph says as he begins walking towards the memorial.

NikolaTesla
2021-03-16, 12:37 AM
After getting directions from Myra, you set out southward. It turns out that the memorial is more or less on the way to the Harrowstone ruins, set on a hill near the east bank of Ravengro Creek. Now that you know where to look, you can see a glint of bronze as you cross the southern bridge. Elian hangs back slightly as the party crosses to the east bank, appreciative of the idyllic scenery shining in the late winter sun, but quickly hurries after the party when he see's that he's being slightly left behind.

It's at that moment that Elian catches glimpse of something strange. Prints in the moist dirt path. That wouldn't be too remarkable, except even as he watches, he sees new one's being made without any being there to make them, as if some invisible thing were making its way towards Harrowstone. But before he can call out, the prints vanish from the road as if they had never been there. It's perhaps with relief to some members of the party then that you next leave the road, making your way past a ramshackle shack and towards the bank of the river where the memorial is located.

Besides the looming ruins of Harrowstone on a nearby hill to the south, the memorial is Ravengro’s most distinctive landmark; a 25-foot-tall, moss-covered bronze-plated statue that overlooks the river. The statue depicts a proud, muscular human man dressed in leathers and wielding a truncheon; likely a depiction of the Warden. A total of 25 names are printed on a plate at the base of the statue— Warden Hawkran, the guards who died in the fire of 4661, as well as the warden’s wife, who if you inspect the plate find to have been named Vesorianna.

A clean up crew is hard at work when you arrive, painstakingly scrubbing off what looks like the aftermath of a bad shonen anime battle splattered all over the beautiful statue. Several faces are familiar; the most grumblesome of the cleaners is none other than Gibs Hephenus, the ringleader of the gang that disrupted the funeral yesterday, apparently pressed into community service as punishment for his misbehavior. Other members of the crew include Pevrin Elkarid (the son of the tavern owner Zokar Elkarid), a Pharasmin acolyte you saw earlier when you first met with Mitch, and a few others. The motley crew is supervised by a dusky eyed woman you don't recognize, but who seems to hold herself with an air of quiet or maybe even sad confidence that you haven't seen in anyone else in town besides Kendra. Even then though, where Kendra obviously takes great pains to be perceived a certain way, it's a much more natural aura to this woman. As you approach, she turns to greet you.

"Greetings, travelers. You must be the the ones Vashian mentioned had come to town for old Lorrimor's funeral. I am Councilwoman Shanda Faravan. Unfortunately, this is an embarrassing moment for outsiders to visit the memorial, even if we do appreciate the interest in our heritage. I'm afraid I must ask you to return on another occasion."

Gibs grumbles audibly at the word "appreciate" from his ladder at the statues hip, but the councilwoman looks up at him and he quiets down.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. 5nxBr8QsQZOIypGnOUqBngAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1
https://t11.deviantart.net/9kQV_EA01YC4gnELFgW-qYYIe5A=/300x200/filters:fixed_height(100,100):origin()/pre03/4bab/th/pre/f/2012/288/9/b/pathfinder__pevrin_elkarid_by_redscriptus-d5hvz2r.jpg
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.obsidianportal.com%2Fassets%2F 152783%2Ffavaran.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Skill Prompt for Elian only:
They appear to be wagon being drawn by a team of horses.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-16, 06:38 PM
Kristoph thanks Myra for the directions and walks purposefully in the direction of the memorial. "Councilwoman Faravan, please excuse us. We had heard that there was some sort of...event...happening this morning and were curious to see it. We meant no rudeness by stumbling upon things...Is everything alright, though? No one is hurt?" asks Kristoph with a concerned expression as he looks at the apparent blood splattered around the scene. "Is there anything we can do to help?"

Diplomacy [roll0]

NikolaTesla
2021-03-16, 08:07 PM
The councilwoman shakes her head. ”Unless one of you is carrying around a bucket of Universal Solvent, I think we’re quite alright. No events to speak of, just an offensive mess, more than likely made by some irresponsible adolescent on a dare from his friends.”

The offended voice of Pevrin calls down from the shoulder of the statue, “I told you ma’am, I didn’t do it! Kuthonites flay me if I did it, but I didn’t! And it wasn’t none of the boys in town neither!”

Shanda sighs, then continues without addressing Pevrin’s protests. ”Despite appearances, no one seems to be hurt, though when we catch the one responsible I hope to rectify that.”

Farmerbink
2021-03-16, 08:55 PM
Elian finds himself at a loss for words as the party approaches the monument. He's blinking rapidly under brows furrowed in confusion and irritation. Several times, he seems ready to say something, but at the last moment decides otherwise, keeping awkwardly silent as Kristoph returns the councilwoman's greetings.

Finally, he smirks at her thinly veiled threat. "On that front, I believe we all agree. There have certainly been too many offenses and not enough solvent to fix it. Please, feel free to think of us if there is anything at all with which we can help. The professor's final request included looking over Kendra and helping to settle things here in Ravengro, and I promise you we all take the obligation quite seriously. In the meantime, we will of course leave you to your duties."

With a winsome smile, he backs away, ushering his companions likewise. "I suppose that means we're off to Harrowstone?"

1: Diplomacy [roll0] to improve her attitude
2: Shanda is precisely the sort of figure Elian would have historically quasi-preyed upon. Obviously, he's not going to be trying to literally eat her in the context of his half-vampire bit, but he is going to be very interested in ingratiating himself to her by whatever means he can. For simplicity (and to avoid any of the not-good ramifications of such), I plan to avoid literally charming her, but it will be a bit of a stretch of his character.

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-16, 09:29 PM
Nezumi Taylor
Nezumi on the way over tells the others how he meet the professor and learns about the groups shenanigans.

Nezumi looks at the monument there were a lot of names the fire must have been big and fast. He wasn't sure how sensitive the topic was with the locals. He decides to ask Kendra " "With all due respect to those loss those names on the monument I'm guess none of the bodies were recovered?"

Spore
2021-03-17, 04:48 AM

Strolling through town
Drago keeps the ratfolk company and compares the ways Petros endangered himself when a good and direct mundane solution would have sufficed. I remember the day he wanted to open a rusty dungeon door with a tiny vial of acid. Then he tried to cast a Knock spell only for me to notice the door is stuck and not closed. A prybar is so useful, don't you think?

Looking down on the smaller dexterous rodent, he adds. Though in your case, I think you are one for the more meticulous solutions. Nezumi. Tell us a bit about yourself. He tries to pat the child sized adventurer on the back.

At the memorial

At the memorial, Drago investigates the scene further. He approaches the statue, checking which stones were used to build it. He then scrapes off a bit of the color, first smelling, then tasting it. As this does not result in any idea, the butch scientist opens his titanic bag. In it, he procures a pestle, mortar, an alembic and a sort of primitive burner. From another case, he procures three flasks of typical solvents, two bottles of clear liquid and a single bottle with a sulfuric smelling liquid. He scrapes off a bit of color again, now into a beaker and mixes it with a solvent. Finally he pipettes a few drops of the solution into test tubes, heating them up over the fire.

Know (Alchemy) to know what the color is, what the stone is made of, to get an idea what mundane solvent would greatly speed up the cleaning. [roll0]
Feel free to add any circumstantial boni for the correct display of qualitative analysis of substances or penalties for the rather improvised field lab any alchemist has.

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-17, 08:32 PM
Nezumi Taylor
Strolling through town
Nezumi laughs at Drago's story "Yes prybars are very useful. Especially for those stronger then me. But for myself I would say I'm quite common for a Ratfolk. I grew up in the city of Caliphas last and youngest of my siblings.There were three of us.
Started working as an apprentice tailor for a Halfling woman Sidney Goodluck. I'm not sure if that was her real name or her Tailor name. I met the proffesor after an accident at a graveyard near Vauntil. I got possessed and the grave keeper found me lying in the middle of the graveyard among the mausoleums. Seems I was knocked out for quite awhile."

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-17, 09:01 PM
Kristoph makes the sign of Pharasma, his hand following the blue spiral on his chest with the precision of frequent-performance of the ritual, when the young boy mentions Kuthonites. "I'm not a prude when it comes to language, but I must say I don't recommend invoking the name of a dark and insane god lightly," he gently admonishes the boy with a genuine smile. "Here - let me help you with that spot..." he takes a wet rag and wipes a spot just out of reach of the young man. Then, stepping back, he nods to the councilwoman and agrees with Elian. "I agree - I think it time to be off. Please excuse us."

Spore
2021-03-18, 07:03 AM

Strolling through town
Three siblings, eh? So your family is rather small for a ratfolk, as I understand it. Drago tries to sound sympathetic but struggles with empathy on a very basic level. He responds to Nezumi's encounter with Late Petros Lorrimor. Sounds about right for the Professor. Try to keep the bad thoughts out of your head, my man. In fact that is what I worry about most in investigating the Manor. I can deal with death, I can deal with pain but with tricks of the mind? I....I...cannot he stammers on, falling silent and cutting the conversation short.

At the memorial

If you use concentrated vinegar, say you cook it moderate heat for 15 minutes to let the water evaporate, you are done much quicker. If your hands have cuts, wear gloves or else you will find each and everyone of them. Drago advises Gibs. It might smell bad, but you are done in no time.

[/QUOTE]

Farmerbink
2021-03-18, 11:08 AM
Elian glances at Drago with concern in his eyes when the hulking man reveals his peculiar phobia. "Given time, I may be able to help you with that, good man." At the curious glance(s) that follow, he shrugs easily with a disarming smile. "It's something of a hobby of mine- mind tricks, I mean. Sometimes they are simple, and a little focus will dispel the confusion. At worst, familiarity often relieves undue stress. With that, I can certainly provide opportunities."

Spore
2021-03-20, 06:53 AM

Strolling through town
Mind tricks are your hobby? Drago responds. If you do them with the enemy, fine. But if you as much as influence my deeds with a smidge of power, you can see these hands do a very stern talking to your face. The butch alchemist raises his shovel-sized hands.

matpal93
2021-03-20, 02:21 PM
After the memorial

Even though the other beneficiaries of the will have only known Hardor for a short time, he seems uncharacteristically quiet as they leave the cemetery and head towards Harrowstone. Even at the memorial, he doesn't speak one word. As the party closes in on the ruins, however, the wizard asks Kristoph to walk to the other side of the road with him.

Once he feels out of whispershot of the rest of the group, he says quietly "I want to ask you a quick question before we get to Harrowstone. How to put this... what am I supposed to do with this feeling? I've never tried to kill before, and those creatures... they attacked so quickly! I guess what I mean is... with all my training and knowledge, I nearly lost my head back in the crypt, and now we're headed somewhere much more dangerous. What do I do?"

Farmerbink
2021-03-20, 03:43 PM
Elian raises his hands defensively. "Please, don't consider it a threat. I prefer to think of myself as a counselor. The mind is a magnificent and powerful thing- sometimes our greatest enemy. Surely you're familiar with illusion magics? I merely opine that this is only one of many ways our minds can... ahh... get in the way, yes?" I'm perfectly content to throw down some RP-only posts as our characters walk across town :-D

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-20, 03:59 PM
Kristoph smiles at Hardor as he answers. "Do you're best, and don't be afraid. This life isn't the only one, and Pharasma will judge you fairly when you arrive in at her Spire.

And in a practical sense, I understand that many wizards find that they do well when they prepare for bad circumstances ahead of time. If you plan how you will react to threats, you can practice before it happens. Then the muscle memory works and helps you respond promptly. I get up everyday before the sun rises to practice my forms and exercise - you could do the same, only using the powers at your command.

But in the immediate sense, try to keep me and Drago between yourself and anything too dangerous. We will protect you as best we can as long as you carry your weight too. Use your magic to empower us, or hinder the enemies, or even to destroy them outright - we will slow them down so you can. Does that sound alright? Help you feel any better?"

Spore
2021-03-20, 05:14 PM

Drago sighs and apologizes to Elian as Hardor's concern is brought up. The alchemist quickly gauges the group.
I assume it is best for us all to have a very simple emergency plan honestly. That and a simple plan if combat breaks out. As I see it, we have three roles. Kristoph and I are our main combatants, Hardor and Elian are mages for the lack of a more appropriate term. You influence the combat in a way that makes us win. Nezumi is our trump card.

Drago fully turns to Hardor. Lorrimor told me usually young wizards have quite a problem with field application. He himself struggled to find the more practical routes sometimes. But truth be told, I assume you are one of the few that can actually solve the issue that lies underneath the Manor we approach. For starters I dont even know which side is up on Lorrimor's scrolls. We need them, and your expertise can use them. Secondly, I have never read of a haunt or a ghost or even a zombie infestation that was only dealt with by brute force. Granted we bring a bit more to the table than that. But if there is a cursed artifact down there, or simply a complex spell that links the plane to some odd spook-plane, we are done for without you.

So Hardor, just survive, and we will be peachy.

Apparently thinking this rather grim story appeased the nervous wizard, Drago turns to walk ahead again.

NikolaTesla
2021-03-20, 06:41 PM
Trust 22

Shanda inclines her head to Elian as he mentions that you will be in Ravengro for a little while to support Kendra. "Good of you to watch over her. I knew Kendra when she was a young girl; always inquisitive, but too innocent to really want all the answers like her father. I suspect that's why she chose to study divination when the professor sent her to school in Lepidstadt. Help her maintain that innocence, will you?"

While this conversation was going on, Drago had made his way to the base of the statue, examining the material from which it was made. Above, Pevrin pays more attention to Drago's examinations than his scrubbing, and Shanda looks as though she's about to scold him to get back to work when Drago gives his recommendation. Those more socially observant members of the party can almost see the gears turning in the young boy's head as he looks between Drago and the councilwoman and realizes that he can escape work and scolding if he moves quickly. He talks fast has he shimmies down the statue, then shouting back over his shoulder has he scurries away towards town: "I can run to Jolinda's shop and get some of that! She's sure to have some vinegar, and she'll know how to do what you said!"

Shanda covers her eyes with one hand and shakes her head as Pevrin runs off. She sighs and turns back to the group. "Oh well, I would have liked to keep him scrubbing a little longer, but I suppose old Gibs here will thank you for making his work easier when Pevrin returns. In any case, don't be strangers in town, alright? Feel free to visit the memorial once we've got it cleaned up, and be sure to give the townsfolk some new foreign gossip at the inn. Having something to talk about that wasn't written by that rake Muricar will do them some good.

The group talks about various things as they return to the road and make their way southward, steadily approaching the creeping ivy-covered walls of Harrowstone atop a nearby hill. It's a relatively short walk though, and soon the 5 of you find yourselves looping around the backside of the hill and approaching the entrance to Harrowstone. A sagging wood and metal gate once barred entry to Harrowstone, but the gates now hang negligently open, gently creaking in whatever wind touches the ruined bars.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsites.google.com%2Fsite%2Fpathfin derbarnetthouse%2Fthe-story%2Flibrary%2Fravengro-harrowstone%2FHarrowstone%2520Prison%2520Grounds.j pg%3Fattredirects%3D0%26d%3D1&f=1&nofb=1

Skill Prompt: DC 10 to climb the 20ft walls.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-21, 12:58 PM
Kristoph grimaces at Drago's rough-edged encouragement, but does not argue with him. Instead, the paladin makes the symbol of Pharasma's spiral on his chest as he mutters a prayer and keeps walking with a rueful grin.

Once at the gates to the prison, Kristoph looks about suspiciously. "I take some pride in maintaining a cheerful demeanor, but you won't see much of that if we find undead here. Let's be careful and not overextend - I would rather we stop before we must than push too far and add to the animated corpses in this place..." he begins, his expression serious. "Now, I'm not the stealthiest, and don't know how much it will matter against ghosts and such. As such, I vote we go through the gates. Let's keep an eye to the ramparts as we go - remember how the Professor died - and let's begin. Any arguments?"

Farmerbink
2021-03-21, 06:10 PM
Elian meets Kristoph's gaze with his own sombre seriousness. "Agreed, all around," he murmurs, nodding. "I can look around fairly quietly, just stay close. I'm not eager to start a fight by myself."

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-22, 12:31 PM
Nezumi Taylor
"Sneakin in sounds like the best way for now" Nezumi takes out his crossbow and loads it. "Let's not take any chances."

matpal93
2021-03-22, 02:45 PM
On the Road

Hardor barely has time to quickly give Kristoff a quick "Thank you. before Drago rattles off his story and advice. The wizard is visibly taken aback by the speech, but recovers himself enough to say ...thank you as well, I suppose. After muttering to himself for a moment, he follows the others up to the haunted hill. He doesn't seem entirely calmed, but certainly more determined.

At Harrowstone

"I'm best not sneaking in either, but I see no reason why... Nezumi, was it? Why Nezumi can't do some scouting of his own. There may be more than ghosts here, things that can be snuck up on, and it would be good to know about them before they know about us."

Spore
2021-03-22, 11:02 PM

Drago nods. You go ahead, Nez.

NikolaTesla
2021-03-23, 11:55 AM
Alright, if Nezumi is going in, then Sleepy, please let me know how he’s going about it and I’ll let you know what happens. Please roll both stealth and perception.

Farmerbink
2021-03-23, 02:47 PM
Fully aware of the gravity of the situation, Elian meets Nezumi's eyes with a serious gaze. He nods his affirmation in lieu of words.

As far as the gate, Elian follows close behind the small fellow, but as Nezumi creeps through the gate, the mesmerist pauses to give him some room. After about 5 seconds, Elian slips through onto the prison grounds as well, looking around for anything threatening or otherwise out of place, and ushers his allies in behind him.

[roll0] perception
[roll1] stealth

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-23, 04:23 PM
Nezumi Taylor
Nezumi put's away his cross bow and takes out his sword and knife as he makes his way through the gate he takes off his back pack and asks the other's to watch it. He makes his way over to the tree and if he dosn't encounter anything motions to the others to come in. He then opens the door to what looks like the gaurd shack carfully checking it before moving inside.

[roll0]:Stealth
[roll1]:Perception out side
[roll2]:Perception Gaurd shack door

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-23, 04:23 PM
As everyone seems to agree, Kristoph quietly says, "Be careful - better to flee and live than over-extend on our first incursion here. Call for help and I will come running." Then he stays well back of Elian and Nezumi, carefully watching...

NikolaTesla
2021-03-23, 08:37 PM
Nezumi quietly slips through the gates, but suddenly freezes in place on just the other side. He's suddenly overcome with an intense feeling of claustrophobia, followed by a split-second sensation of his skin being on fire. The feeling leaves as abruptly as it came, leaving Nezumi seriously shaken.

[roll0] minutes.

To Nezumi's right, a murky pond seems to have swallowed parts of the wall. Perhaps there was a way up on top of the wall in that vicinity before, but now the only way up besides climbing is a staircase far to the left. At the tree in the middle, Nezumi gets a closer look at Harrowstone and notes that the wiry brush has been cleared away around the foundation of the building. He doesn't see any creatures around, living or otherwise, and so moves over to the small house.

Though time and neglect have not been kind to it, the house turns out to be a brick manor house. The whole thing is overgrown with thick sheets of grey-green ivy, and the roof sags ominously. The door hangs askew, and Nezumi easily slips in. The house seems to hold several rooms, each filled with refuse, rotting furniture, and other signs of weather and disrepair. Picking your way through the debris to explore the whole thing will take several minutes.

Meanwhile, Elian slips through after Nezumi, and though he notices a dozen or so large rats peering from nooks and crannies in the stones of the northern most watch tower, he sees no immediate threats, and waves the rest of the party in.

The manor house is unstable.

Farmerbink
2021-03-24, 12:18 PM
Just inside the gates, Elian watches Nezumi prowl through the grounds, a mixture of curiosity and apprehension plain on his face. After a few moments, he casts a simple incantation and redoubles his efforts, this time scanning specifically for signs of magical interference of some sort. As Nezumi departs from immediate visibility into the manor house, Elian scurries closer, content to trust that if nothing found the Ratfolk appetizing, he'd be relatively safe passing through the same area.

He stays outside the manor house unless Nezumi beckons him to enter, however.

Cast detect magic and sustain it unless something prevents it.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-24, 04:06 PM
Kristoph looks concerned when Nezumi leaves his line of sight, but remains patiently. When Elian follows the half-elf paladin grunts and gestures to the others to follow. He then gets close enough to see Elian, at least, before stopping again and watching silently.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-24, 05:53 PM
Nezumi Taylor
Nezumi shivers after the stange feeling runs through him. His mind thinks back to the fire seems that the feeling of the departed had stained the land. After a quick look into the house he gestures to the others that the front seems to be safe he tells Kristoph "Something's wrong whatever happened here has stained the land. I think I felt the fear and anguish the prisoners felt as they burned. We should prepare. Undead particularly ghosts probably still haunt here. The house seems like its falling apart but if you want we can search it might take a bit." He then ask the group "Are we casing the outside first or going in through the front?"

Spore
2021-03-24, 10:59 PM

I say we go in. the butch alchemist says after following up. If anything supernatural wants us harm, it has already noticed us. But if anyone mortal plans something, they get more time by us dabbling in the frontyard.

Clearly worried about attacks on his mind, Drago nevertheless pushes on. He checks the ceiling in a worried manner regularly, but comes to the conclusion that if it didnt topple in the last decade, it wont come down now.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-25, 10:50 PM
Kristoph frowns at the reports of supernatural taint. "Let's keep our wits sharp and stay focused on why we are here - we need to find out if the professor died of an accident, or if he was killed. If it was by undead, let's lay them to rest, but we need to avoid distraction," he says in response to the ratfolk and gravedigger. "Let's be sure we have an escape route, but otherwise I don't fancy checking every nook and cranny...that said, wasn't the Professor killed by falling masonry? We should check out the walls and see if we can find anything."

Kristoph doesn't enter the dilapidated building, instead keeping watch at the doorway vigilantly. "If you find any undead, speak up - I will put them to rest in the Lady of Graves' name!"

matpal93
2021-03-26, 11:14 AM
As Hardor enters the building (last), he pulls his silver compass off of his belt, holding it tightly as he examines the interior of the building for threats, both magical and mundane.

casting detect magic

NikolaTesla
2021-03-27, 02:51 PM
Each person in the manor house has a chance of getting hit by falling debris as searching around further destabilizes the house. It takes a total of 10 man-minutes to explore the place, broken up among the 3 people inside. Each minute it becomes progressively more likely that debris falls on you or that you fall through the second floor.

Minute 1 (10%)
[roll0] Safe

Minute 2 (20%)
[roll1] Safe
[roll2] Safe
[roll3] Safe

Minute 3 (30%)
[roll4] Safe
[roll5] DUSTED!
[roll6] Safe

Minute 4 (40%)
[roll7] Safe
[roll8] Safe
[roll9] DUSTED!

For each time you or debris fell, make a DC 15 reflex save to avoid taking 1d6 damage (roll the damages with your saves). Each time you fail a save there is a 30% chance that you receive an injury (see advanced injury rules from recruitment thread), but I will take care of those rolls.

Your search of the place yields the following items:

A Masterwork Falchion with what appears to be a genealogy inscribed on the blade.
Jorgend -> Mivl -> Kahsu -> Vesorianna
59 Badly corroded silver pieces
A large vial filled with a black fluid that detects as magical.
Unguent of Timelessness

Spore
2021-03-27, 07:57 PM
AC: 16 HP: 9/10

As Drago is hit by a large brick, he turns around expecting to see a wild ghost, or something else sentient. He rubs his neck. Apparently the house itself is dangerous.

Farmerbink
2021-03-27, 08:04 PM
Elian waits outside nervously as several of his companions explore the weathered house. "Drago!" he calls, lamely, as the larger fellow is hit by a falling piece of detritus. He breathes a sigh of relief as the injury proves mostly superficial, and is immediately startled by Hardor's plight.

"I'm not sure it's a good idea to stay in there any longer than you have to, everyone. If we can clear the haunts, perhaps we can get some professionals or locals to poke around in here?"

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-28, 07:15 AM
Nezumi
Nezumi call out to Elian and Drago "Lets clear out I think we got everything of value. We can come back later when we have more time"
Outside in the light of day Nezumi looks over their findings he had found the majority of the silver but the fact it was so corroded concerned him. The blade however caught his attention "Vesorianna that was the wardens wife right this must have been hers."

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-28, 10:09 AM
At the sound of falling debris Kristoph looks inside. "Guys, get out of there before you get hurt!" he calls, hoping no one gets too badly injured. He nods in agreement with Elian and helps the other three get out once they are ready, giving them a hand and pulling firmly as they get close. "There - no point in letting the masonry kill us," he says with a smirk.

Looking at the sword the half-elf nods. "That makes sense - I don't remember anyone saying she was a warrior though. Interesting..." Kristoph says as he looks around. "I'm glad you didn't find any undead inside. Ready to explore some more?"

Sleepy Shade
2021-03-30, 07:28 AM
Nezumi
Nezumi taps the blade "Let's bring this with us ghosts are usually attached to stuff and this might be important to them. I'm gonna go look over at the west side of the building see if I cant get a good look inside." He starts to walk away but then adds "And if you hear screaming come running"
Nezumi makes his way around the large manor making his way up to what looked like it was once a porch or patio area on the west side sneaking around to make sure he isn't detected by more dangerous ghouls.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-30, 08:05 AM
Kristoph nudges Elian gently and nods at Nezumi as the ratfolk slinks away as if to suggest the other man follow him and keep him in sight. "I will be ready to follow, but don't want to give either of you away, so I will stay a bit further back," he says, quietly, as he continues to keep a sharp lookout.

matpal93
2021-03-30, 08:36 AM
Not long after pocketing the vial for later (and hopefully more effective) study, Hardor nearly dives out of the way as a loud creak is followed by a fist-sized chunk of masonry smashing down right where the wizard had been standing. Looking out at Elian, he shudders visibly, then nods "Agreed."

Farmerbink
2021-03-30, 04:56 PM
At the sight of the sword, and Kristoph's comments, Elian shrugs. "That might explain its presence here. If she was using it, it would have been found wherever she died, I suppose." He nods at Nezumi's choice to carry it, "Drago, do you mind holding onto it? It seems heavy to me, and it's longer than Nezumi!"

In either case, when Nezumi prowls away, Elian shares a glance with Kristoph. The mesmerist simply nods, and follows their friend at a fair distance.

Elian will be ~50 feet behind Nezumi, also trying to be stealthy:
[roll0] stealth
[roll1] perception

Spore
2021-03-31, 02:47 AM

I shall take the eastern side. Drago says as he approaches the side on the area with the rubble, where the lake broke through the walls. He struggles once, then has a more secure and less hurried step.

taking 10 on the attempt at the second try. 24 for perception

NikolaTesla
2021-03-31, 06:28 PM
Both Drago and Nezumi come upon something before Nezumi makes it around to the stairs leading up to the balcony. As Nezumi noted before, all the plant growth appears to have been scraped away from the foundation of the prison, but upon closer inspection there is something written there in Varisian. The runes appear to go all the way around the foundation of the prison, except for the part in the east that has fallen away in the water. Nezumi also notes what appears to be the blade of a scythe just peeking over the edge of the west balcony.

Whisper now, gentle ones,
Who inhabit the dust.
Sing now, forgotten ones,
Who in life were unjust.

Lyvar Hawkran keeps you,
Warden of Life and Death.
Lyvar Hawkran hurts you,
Hypocrite without Breath.

Jealous man imprisoned,
Great Whisperer of Love.
Murder never brought hope,
Never fit like a glove.

Lyvar Hawkran crushes you,
There's a Whispering few,
Who love you in undeath.

Violent man imprisoned,
Great Whisperer of Stealth.
His liquid commission,
Cut short by fiery death.

Lyvar Hawkran fights you,
Warden of Life and Death
A defeat to undo,
A world to fill with Wrath.

Holy man imprisoned,
Great Whisperer of Lies,
To glory might have ris'n,
But for murd'rous allies.

Lyvar Hawkran holds you,
A mysterious brew,
Illuminates the Path.

Creative Man imprisoned,
Great Whisperer of Song.
Could not defile himself,
Though what he did was wrong.

Lyvar Hawkran keeps you,
His chains now weaker grow,
Torn from Pharasma's chest.

Wise one of hidden pow'r,
Great Whisperer of Cunning.
Fire turned your plot sour,
Flight to Imprisoning.

Lyvar Hawkran kept you,
Death is now his Warden.
We take our leave of you,
To Whisper your revenge.
Though the writing is also in the place Drago goes, his attention is likely drawn by the vaguely red stained gargoyle head slightly apart the rest of the rubble.

Skill Prompt:
The runes appear to have been part of a larger ritual that involved a great deal of abjuration and necromancy magic.
The ritual appears to have been to capture and imprison the ghost of Warden Hawkran.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-03-31, 07:57 PM
Does "Common" count as Varisian for languages known? Kristoph is from Ustalav, if that matters.

Knowledge (Religion) [roll0]

Spore
2021-04-01, 03:32 AM

My friends! Drago shouts from atop the balcony, pointing upwards at the reddish gargoyle. Didn't they say, the Professor was killed by falling rubble? Why is this blood stained gargoyle sitting perched up there? Unless it really is a gargoyle and not just a statue. Am I going mad, or?

matpal93
2021-04-01, 09:52 AM
Hardor runs around at the mention of a gargoyle, but slows down on hearing its just a statue. "Drago, don't scare me like that!"

The Pathfinder's attention is quickly taken by the runes encircling the prison. He mutters as he circles the ruined building, eyes glowing blue and frown gradually deepening. "Hmmm...glad I took that Inner Sea languages class...definitely Whispering Way...Who's this Lyvar Hawkran?...This isn't good...actually very, very bad." Hardor says as he finished his reading. He circles the building one more time, this time with journal in hand, copying down the whole circle or runes. "19 Calistril, 4711..."

Having finished, Hardor turns to Drago "That gargoyle may have been the tool, but these runes are part of the reason why. The Whispering Way was breaking someone, or something, out of this prison, in defiance of one Lyvar Hawkran." "Before we turn in for the night, I'd like to ask the temple of Pharasma if that name rings a bell..." He adds, almost to himself.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-04-02, 11:28 AM
Kristoph is about to go to Drago's side when Hardor begins speaking about the 'Whispering Way.' "What's that, Hardor? How can you tell? What does it all say? Please translate it - I don't read or speak Varisian, but if we face the Whispering Way then we should be very careful and ready for even worse trouble..." the half-elf paladin says with a serious expression. "The vile undead-lovers are as evil as they are insane. Do you think they are behind the Professor's death? Did they murder him?"

matpal93
2021-04-02, 01:47 PM
As Hardor turns to Kristoph, he pulls out his journal to show him the runes, replicated in stanza form on the spread of parchment. "The incantation is in the form of a poem, which makes sense, since the Whispering Way passes information by word of mouth. Which makes them one of the oldest oral traditions in Avistan..." He trails off, writing a note on the margins of a page before continuing.
"Sorry. Each stanza, other than the first, is paired, and each pair references some person that seems to be of importance to the Way, and how this Lyvar Hawkran is keeping them bound. The worrying part is that with each pair, the bonds are described as being weakened, presumably by the incantation, and with the last stanza, they seem to have been broken, as the refrain changes from 'Lyvar Hawkran keeps you' to 'Lyvar Hawkran kept you'. Considering that one of the persons mentioned seems to be the Whispering Tyrant, that is highly disturbing. As to your question, I presume the poor Professor was murdered while trying to interrupt whatever rite powered these runes. Hopefully nothing too horrible was released."

Spore
2021-04-02, 02:10 PM

What child of Ustalav cannot understand Varisian? Drago jokes, noticing his friend's different academic pasts. Well, uh, I didn't understand Mitch's bird, so I guess we are even. He moves over to the inscription.

Drago pauses. This sounds almost as if someone important to the Whispering Way was kept here. If this Lyvar Hawkran kept a necromancer or undead in prison, but was called hypocrite without breath, I feel Kristoph will get his fight against an undead foe sooner rather than later. And I do not think they would refer to Pharasma as Warden of Life and Death, thus I assume they deify something else.

Drago pauses again. Torn from Pharasma's chest...is there a statue of your god on the temple grounds? Or could they mean the center of the temple? And if so, how could they got there? It seems dumb, but I would like to check the very center of your temple.

DarkOne-Rob
2021-04-02, 05:36 PM
Kristoph listens intently, his expression darkening at the seriousness of the threat. "I don't know anything about such a statue - Ravengro isn't my hometown, but I didn't see anything like that when we visited earlier," he replies to Drago without turning his head towards the large man. "Besides, I suspect the greater threat is here - let's continue exploring. Please be careful and let me know the instant you find undead..."

Sleepy Shade
2021-04-02, 08:40 PM
Nezumi
Nezumi looks at the others a bit confused "What's it say? I can't read these chicken scratches." If some one translates for Nezumi he thanks them and comments "Sounds like a bunch of diffent people or things maybe these words were supposed to be a curse or something? Well if that looks like everything down here I'm gonna take a look up on the wall." Nezumi heads up the wall. Blades drawn just in case.

Farmerbink
2021-04-02, 09:49 PM
Elian follows with a sudden air of academic curiosity. He listens intently to Hardor's recitation, and only speaks up when Drago mention's "Pharasma's chest."

"I highly doubt it means anything about the local church. No Pharasmin would dare participate in such a rite." He pauses, with a critical scowl. "Doesn't even really rhyme with 'death,' now does it? Not much of a poet to force so many phrases like that..." He catches a few wry glances and shrugs. "What? I appreciate good art. And that isn't it."

He draws his blade, though he remains utterly unintimidating a few paces to Drago's side. Frowning, he returns his attention to the grounds. "I figure we're bound to find a fight sooner or later, though. Unless it finds us, first..."

matpal93
2021-04-06, 06:43 PM
"Or we call it a day and head back to Ravengro." Says Hardor, looking at the sun already lowering to the horizon. "I don't think I'd like this place more after dark than I do now."

NikolaTesla
2021-04-06, 08:19 PM
As Nezumi starts to head for the wall, Drago tries to find a way up to the east balcony. As soon as he or any rubble he brushes splashes into the water however, the center of the pond begins to froth and boil as something below stirs. After a few moments (everyone has time to get into position) you can see three sets of white bones through the murky water, walking towards you on the shore. ROLL INITIATIVE!

[roll0]

Since this is a pretty wide open combat, we'll forgo a battle map and just use the map of the Harrowstone Grounds for reference. The skeletons are 15ft out into the pond, completely submerged in the water (about 7ft deep where they are currently standing).

Spore
2021-04-07, 06:11 AM

Friends, I think you get your smiting of the vile undead now. Drago holds off on actually charging into the water, drawing his shovel as he moves onto the shore, waiting for the creatures to move to him.

prepared standard action: shovel attack [roll0] for [roll1] damage

matpal93
2021-04-08, 08:52 AM
Hardor manages not to jump at the disturbance in the pond, and positions himself behind some rubble.

Prepared action: Acid Splash once the skeletons are visible
[roll0]

Sleepy Shade
2021-04-09, 03:26 PM
Nezumi
Nezumi notices some sort of commotion coming from the lake he descends the walls steps and makes his way over to the lake. At Drago's words of undead he curses under his breath.

OOC:Nothing I can really do except move over to the lake.