PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 5th level party wants to craft...

aglondier
2021-01-24, 07:11 AM
So, we're playing a 1st ed Pathfinder campaign, just hit 5th level and our wizard just picked up Craft Wondrous Item and Craft Wand. The campaign has been a bit light on useful magic items so we are considering crafting a few of our own. We have a rather diverse party...
Rary, gnome wizard 5 (enchanter)
Carl, elf sorceror 5 (black dragon)
Kyras, halfelf druid 5
Duri, dwarf fighter 4 magus 1
Yvae, changeling paladin 5
Ezee, goblin rogue 5
Marv, human shaman 5

Rary is fairly balanced, for an enchanter. Carl is heavy on conjuration and evocation [acid] spells. Kyras is a rather average druid. Yvae traded in spellcasting for more channeling or something. Marv is an average shaman. Ezee is doing this whole shadow manipulation thing. And Duri is a Deep Marshal, so has shocking grasp and plenty of abjurations, but bugger all else.

What I am looking for is ideas for items that would round out and enhance our party roles that we could Craft, or work towards in the near future.

Gnaeus
2021-01-24, 10:26 AM
Most of the easy ones are boring. Stat items. Probably a wand of haste and other staples (mirror image, see invisibility, restoration or lesser restoration, fly). Greater Hats of Disguise for anyone who melees.

aglondier
2021-01-24, 07:11 PM
Most of the easy ones are boring. Stat items. Probably a wand of haste and other staples (mirror image, see invisibility, restoration or lesser restoration, fly). Greater Hats of Disguise for anyone who melees.

You're right. Most of the obvious stuff is a bit dull, and short of actually building the oft-threatened Gnomish Magic Item Sweatshop, I'm not sure I could convince him to build anything so pedestrian. I'm more looking for the weird and wonderful that will get him enthusiastic about sweatshop labour 😁.

What is the benefit of a Greater Hat of Disguise for the melee types? Nevermind, just looked it up. +2 strength or dexterity, just for turning into yourself...plus sensory upgrades...very nice.

Gnaeus
2021-01-25, 06:54 AM
What is the benefit of a Greater Hat of Disguise for the melee types? Nevermind, just looked it up. +2 strength or dexterity, just for turning into yourself...plus sensory upgrades...very nice.

Also movement modes and natural attacks. So a Tabaxi, for example, gives +2 Str, darkvision, scent, 40’ move, claw claw bite (which becomes a bite secondary attack for an armed combatant). And you can use it to disguise yourself. Or turn into an aquatic type for underwater (note that general polymorph rules say that if a form has a swim speed you can breathe while swimming. The form doesn’t even have to be able to breathe water) Or a small to squeeze in tight tunnels. The Sorcerer could use it for +2 AC, +2 to hit with rays.