PDA

View Full Version : Philippine witch build

Ettina
2021-01-24, 09:24 AM
I'm trying to figure out a good build to make a Philippine black witch. I got a list of the spells they're said to cast, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of character could cast all of that.

Spells:
making certain objects, such as rice, bones, or insects, come out of the bodily orifices of the cursed (necrotic damage spells refluffed? Insect plague refluffed?)
kill another person instantly with magic spells (power word kill, finger of death)
the ability to cast curses or the evil eye (eyebite, bestow curse)
the ability to "abduct" a person's soul (imprisonment)
the ability to send evil spirits or familiar animals to possess or harm the victim (find familiar, conjure animals, various refluffed)
infesting their bodies with insects (infestation)
inflict pain or illness (inflict wounds, contagion, power word pain?)
modify the memories of creatures to erase itself from their mind (modify memory)

Rule-Of-Three
2021-01-24, 12:49 PM
Firstly I'll point out the obvious and that thematically some or most of those can be accomplished in many different caster classes. Warlock is an easy shoe to fit, but in truth a Cleric, Wizard, Sorcerer, or Bard could fit some aspects of those abilities.

Are you familiar with Trese? There are a host of pre-Magellan Filipino fables within to draw upon, maybe as entities to summon, or maybe make pacts with. There are also some RPGs being developed in the Philippines that draw upon pre-contact mythology that could be good reference material. I'm in the office atm (and can't remember the name), but send me a DM if you're interested in more RPGs designed in the Philippines.

MaxWilson
2021-01-24, 02:25 PM
I'm trying to figure out a good build to make a Philippine black witch. I got a list of the spells they're said to cast, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of character could cast all of that.

Spells:
making certain objects, such as rice, bones, or insects, come out of the bodily orifices of the cursed (necrotic damage spells refluffed? Insect plague refluffed?)
kill another person instantly with magic spells (power word kill, finger of death)
the ability to cast curses or the evil eye (eyebite, bestow curse)
the ability to "abduct" a person's soul (imprisonment)
the ability to send evil spirits or familiar animals to possess or harm the victim (find familiar, conjure animals, various refluffed)
infesting their bodies with insects (infestation)
inflict pain or illness (inflict wounds, contagion, power word pain?)
modify the memories of creatures to erase itself from their mind (modify memory)

What kind of witch? "Aswang" is sometimes translated as "witch" but the category is extremely flexible, and there are no set powers or limits. In Filipino terms, everything in the Monster Manual would qualify as an aswang. This aswang eats your brain and possesses your body (Intellect Devourer). That aswang flies and disintegrates you or turns you to stone by looking at you (Beholder). That other aswang comes back to life and tries to kill you, in groups (Skeleton). Another is invisible except to children (Skulk).

If there's some more specific subcategory of aswang which only specifically casts D&D-type spells, I haven't heard of it.