PDA

View Full Version : The Quiet Year IC

dangelo
2021-01-24, 11:49 AM
Ace of hearts:

Are there distinct family units in the community? What families structures are common?

Peasants usually marry for life and have numerous kids (up to 15 or more).

I will start a discussion:

Large families are necessary to work on their farms and to deal with child mortality

In The Quiet Year, communication between players is limited to simulate how hard it is for a 80-people community to actually communicate and articulate. If you wanna share opinions or check with the others before starting projects you can use your action to start a discussion: then every player gets to express their opinion in a single sentence and the game goes on to the next week.

Lacco
2021-01-24, 12:00 PM
King of hearts:

A young boy starts digging in the ground, and discovers something unexpected. What is it?

He finds a tunnel, leading deep down into the ground. It seems like some kind of mine shaft, but vertical. It seems to contain reserves of iron ore, but the bottom may be flooded.

Action:
Start a project!
Exploration of the tunnel & preparations for mining (duration = 4 weeks).

Discussion

dangelo: Large families are necessary to work on their farms and to deal with child mortality
lacco36: We should explore the forests a bit more. What use are large families if we only farm? There may be lots of resources we are missing by sitting here!

https://i.ibb.co/SQZzHWw/Dedinka-w2.jpg (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q7qU0eWmYtKRkdZjsDI9F1tx6-pAj7sD/view?usp=sharing)

Luccan
2021-01-24, 01:16 PM
Six of Hearts:

Are there children in your community? If there are,
what is their role in the community?

There are children. They assist their parents in work and at times perform tasks the adults may be too busy for (mucking animal pens and foraging for wild vegetation around the village, etc.). Older children may be apprenticed with other families, often as a means of repaying a debt.

I think I did that right. I'm going to fully acquaint myself with the rules today

Discussion
dangelo: Large families are necessary to work on their farms and to deal with child mortality

lacco36: We should explore the forests a bit more. What use are large families if we only farm? There may be lots of resources we are missing by sitting here!

Luccan: I agree that larger families means a possibility of tasks other than farming. At the very least, the village should be familiar with the area around their community.

Action: Discover Something New

Something big is stalking through the woods. Hunters have found its tracks and kills several times, but haven't seen it.

JbeJ275
2021-01-24, 04:32 PM
Four of Hearts:

What important and basic tools does the community lack?

Due to the Oxen that once pulled them dying off ploughs hav entirely been repurposed, the metal going into them used for other things. This makes the backbreaking work of extracting food from the land even harder, and while the abundant land helps farming propser it still takes a lot of man hours to tend to.

Discussion

Luccan: I agree that larger families means a possibility of tasks other than farming. At the very least, the village should be familiar with the area around their community.

JbeJ: Large families are indeed useful, all hands are needed in the planting and growing season and this helps them use the land to its greatest possible effect, if they focus on that.

Action:
Discover Something New:
Thick Black Clouds occupy the sky over the village, though rain now comes more regularly then ever before easing the strain of irrigation cloudless days are rarer than ever before and many are set on edge by the frequent darkness of the sky.

dangelo
2021-01-24, 06:01 PM
Queen of hearts:

A project finishes early. Why?

There is an accident in the mine shaft, but no one gets seriously hurt. Actually the opposite happens: the rock slide opens up a path that heads directly to the iron veins. It is interpreted by the people as a gift from heaven. There they also found chests with plenty of tools; most of them have decayed over time, but not all of them. It's not much, but it's enough to start.

I will Start a project: Mine! Enough iron to fuel our village with new tools and utensils, specially our ploughs Duration: ?

JbeJ275
2021-01-25, 04:34 AM
Nine of hearts:

A charismatic young girl convinces many to help her with an elaborate scheme. What is it? Who joins her endeavors? Start a project to reflect.
The girl, claiming to have heard about beasts like the one hunting in the woods convinces many to dig a seres of baited pit traps that. Acording to the stories the chosen bait is irresistable to this sort of creature Some hunters, and many of the young men who dug out the mine but are not needed to operate it.

I will Start a project: Dig and bait enough pit traps that one suceeds in atching the mysterious something stalking through the woods. Duration: ?

Lacco
2021-01-25, 05:21 AM
Week 7

Jack of Hearts

You see a bad omen. What is it?

A crowd of crows, extremely large, decides to settle around the village. Every roof has a few, trees are full of them, and fields are also stalked by them. For now they steal nothing, they just stare.

Smithy is finished!

Current status:

https://i.ibb.co/fFny9WW/Dedinka-w7-small.jpg (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P1F4oza7skrfaVSEPcbte0BHkhfR0lQG/view?usp=sharing)

Resources:
Arable land - abundance (to be done on map; I have not placed the fields yet)
Farm animals - shortage
Workable iron - sufficient
Healing - shortage

Added:
Braziers (to stave off the Darkness)
Mining Pit (provide sufficient iron)
Smithy (provide sufficient tools)
Traps for the Beast of Woods (provide sense of safety?)

My action: Start a discussion!

lacco36: We should start working on a shrine and maybe get some healers here. With the lurking monster, we'll need someone who can ward and shield us. I suggest we sent three fastest runners to the east, to nearest town, and request help from the church of Ozmathis, the Barefeet Pilgrim!
dangelo:
Luccan:
JbeJ:

dangelo
2021-01-25, 09:10 AM
Week 8

What natural predators roam the area? Are you safe?

The most dangerous are wolves and bears (and snakes?) though even those large creatures have already been killed by the Bloody Stalker, the mysterious beast that have been roaming the wilderness.

There is a small mountain between our village and the nearest town to the east; however the road that leads there is pretty dangerous as it's region is dominated by actual lions living in the woods.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage

I'm Starting a Project:

Storytelling: Our children fear the crows and the dark clouds that insist on casting shadows over the village. The elders decide to gather every night and tell them optimistic stories and fables.

lacco36's discussion:

lacco36: We should start working on a shrine and maybe get some healers here. With the lurking monster, we'll need someone who can ward and shield us. I suggest we sent three fastest runners to the east, to nearest town, and request help from the church of Ozmathis, the Barefeet Pilgrim!

dangelo: Ozmathis' healers would be willing to help, but we must offer them shelter and food. Besides, our elders tend to disapprove or even fear magic, so we should do something to develop their relationship: maybe a town fair? Nothing makes a peasant smile more than good ale and a fine tune they can dance to, such a humbleness that the followers of Ozmathis certainly share.
Luccan:
JbeJ:

Luccan
2021-01-25, 09:37 AM
Week 9

Three of Hearts: Someone new arrives. Who?
A one-eyed stranger carrying a hunting spear emerges from the mountain pass. He speaks with a strange accent, but he's friendly and handy with all manner of tools

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage

Action:

Start a project: The village will prepare a fair to improve relations with Ozmathis' followers. Duration: 2 weeks

lacco36's discussion:

dangelo: Ozmathis' healers would be willing to help, but we must offer them shelter and food. Besides, our elders tend to disapprove or even fear magic, so we should do something to develop their relationship: maybe a town fair? Nothing makes a peasant smile more than good ale and a fine tune they can dance to, such a humbleness that the followers of Ozmathis certainly share.

Luccan: A fair is a fine idea, though we'll need folks to work on it and others to invite the Ozmathites.
JbeJ:

JbeJ275
2021-01-25, 10:08 AM
Week 10

Resolve the Action: Dig and bait enough pit traps that one suceeds in catching the mysterious something stalking through the woods.

When the men coe to investigate the trap they see the thrashing hide of a grizzly bear at first, but when they light the torches they realise it's a mostly humanoid figure. Further investigation reveals more details though, the being stands almost eight feet tall, thier skin is grey like slate, they're dressed in roughly made animal hides and have no tools except a massive flint knife and a series of stones of various sizes. It does not seem capable of speaking our langague and no-one can discerne the meeting of it's own hollars and hoots. Eventually the girl perseudes to tak the thing back to the village where it is encaged but kept alive.

Ten of Hearts: There’s another community somewhere on the map. Where are they? What sets them apart from you?
The night after we fish this humanoid from the pit trap more hunting cries are heard by nervous hunters that seem to be emmenating from deep within the wood. There is a community of men like this deep in the heart of the woodland, though they seem less advanced, much much larger and far more proficient hunters.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage

Action:

Start a discussion!: What should we do about this humanoid found hunting so close to our village?

lacco36's discussion:

Luccan: A fair is a fine idea, though we'll need folks to work on it and others to invite the Ozmathites.

JbeJ: I am also curious as to how we should make a shrine. They are often made with some small relic of long ago but we have no such things here.

dangelo
2021-01-26, 03:48 AM
Week 11

Five of Hearts

There is a disquieting legend about this place. What is it?

The woods are filled with fairies and other cursed creatures; they trick and curse innocent travelers so they get lost forever. Mental illness is frequently interpreted by this folk as a cursed consequence of having seen a fey creature. These evil beings apparently show themselves to innocent kids who wander off into the woods and ruin their minds forever

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage

Action:

Start a project: Let the beast eat some food, drink some water. Treat it fairly (but with plenty of people ready to put it down in case it goes berserk) and let it hear our stories. Maybe it is friendly after all.

Suggested time: One week (shouldn't be wise to occupy our hunters for longer I guess)

Luccan
2021-01-26, 02:33 PM
Week 12

2 of Hearts

There’s a giant, man-made structure on the map.
Where is it? Why is it abandoned?

There's a stone fortress in the mountains, viewable from the pass. None have been seen in or around it in living memory and it is believed to be haunted by those abandoned when the empire fell.

Resolving tasks:
The storytelling has bolstered morale in the community, in the face of the grey men and darkened skies. It's already settling into the routine of tradition.

The festival goes well, comforting some who were worried over the magical nature of the acolytes, and Ozmathis' followers are impressed with the storytelling as well. They agree to offer the community healing, if they can set up a shrine and we welcome an acolyte here.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage

Start a discussion:

Luccan: Should we be welcoming all these strangers into our community? Living alongside so much strangeness, something is bound to go wrong

Lacco
2021-01-27, 01:51 AM
Week 13, last week of Spring

Eight of Hearts
An old piece of machinery is discovered, broken but perhaps repairable. What is it? What would it be useful for?

An old stone gate, leading straight into a mountainside, north from the town. It stands at least thirty feet wide, and forty feet high. It is closed, and the opening mechanism seems to be damaged - there are cogs missing, and chain links broken. It would take a skilled blacksmith to rebuild the missing parts, and few very strong men to get the gate to work.

The gate seems to be engraved with strange symbols - trees with small, roughly textured fruit, ornamental five grates, humanoid figures fighting other humanoids - some seem to be elves, some goblins, but there is also dwarf - on - dwarf warfare. The door is also heavily inscribed with runic writing of unknown origin.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage

Action
Discover something new!
There is something down, below the ground, in the tunnels! Our miners said they found traces of activity and heard voices and one of them was later found unconscious, with a wound on his head! It's dangerous to go on mining. But there are things to be found down there - iron, veins of other minerals - and they managed to bring up a strange dagger with inscriptions in language nobody in the village understands.

Luccan's Discussion
Luccan: Should we be welcoming all these strangers into our community? Living alongside so much strangeness, something is bound to go wrong
lacco36: Let's say we build the shrine and even more will come! And they just want to send an acolyte - we need no fledgling cleric, but a skilled healer! Maybe we should have turned to another god - after all, there are at least three temples in the town east.

dangelo
2021-01-27, 02:58 AM
First week of summer: Five of Diamonds

The weather is nice and people can feel the potential all around them. Start a new project.

Block the mine shaft. Whoever is down there might come out and attack us during the night; that's probably why it was abandoned after all. Some villagers who were close to the wounded miner decide to collapse the tunnel.

Suggested duration: 1 week

My action: Hold a discussion

dangelo: The dagger could be a cursed relic and should be buried with the rest of the mine; If you bring it to the High Church, they'll possibly say the same thing. Followers of the Pilgrim are usually more open-minded, but not nearly as rich or politically powerful as the more traditional church, nor does it intimidate people into following their god (or they'll burn in hell); Most of the elders follow the High Church, though.

Luccan's Discussion

lacco36: Let's say we build the shrine and even more will come! And they just want to send an acolyte - we need no fledgling cleric, but a skilled healer! Maybe we should have turned to another god - after all, there are at least three temples in the town east.

dangelo: If they look like us, speak our tongue and aren't aggressive, welcome them (even if they're weird looking fellows like the one-eyed hunter). If not, they're nothing but uncivilized barbarians.

Lacco
2021-01-27, 04:40 AM
2nd week of summer: King of Diamonds

Summer is fleeting.
Discard two cards off the top of the deck and take two actions:

Discarded will be: [roll0] = Ace of Diamonds and [roll1] = Queen of Diamonds (going the "Xth card in line" way)

My actions: Start a Project: Local Militia and Discover Something New: Standing Stones with Thunder Iron

Local Militia: Build small barracks and prepare the fittest lads for fight! 6 weeks, after which we should have a squad of fighters.

Standing Stones: deep in the forests - about half day of walking north-east - there are large standing stones that seem to be arranged in concentric circles. Each circle is twice as large as its predecessor. What is interesting is that they are made of thunder iron - a rare metal, that is extremely hard to forge correctly, but inherently magical. Some of them seem to contain carvings of some sort.

dangelo's Discussion
dangelo: The dagger could be a cursed relic and should be buried with the rest of the mine; If you bring it to the High Church, they'll possibly say the same thing. Followers of the Pilgrim are usually more open-minded, but not nearly as rich or politically powerful as the more traditional church, nor does it intimidate people into following their god (or they'll burn in hell); Most of the elders follow the High Church, though.

lacco36: Don't throw away a weapon when you are given one - learn how to use it or trade it. We should wait for the pilgrim priest - he should decide if it's cursed or not - if it's not cursed, we have something to fight with. If it's not cursed and you don't want to use it, sell it. If it's cursed, let's destroy it.

Luccan's Discussion

dangelo: If they look like us, speak our tongue and aren't aggressive, welcome them (even if they're weird looking fellows like the one-eyed hunter). If not, they're nothing but uncivilized barbarians.[/QUOTE]

JbeJ275
2021-01-27, 09:55 AM
3rd week of summer: Two of Diamonds

Someone leaves the community. Who? What are they looking for?

The one eyed hunter has been quiet ever since the beast of the woods was brought in. Now he has left with all of his weapons, much of his food and people report hearing him heading deeper into the woods where the beast's kind dwells. He seems to be looking for them but who could say why?

My actions:

Start A Project

Some farmers have made arrangements in the spring to buy the newborn calfs and lambs off farmers in the town. Now they need to secure enough money to make the purchases and construct an area to keep the reatures in.

Duration: 5 Weeks

dangelo's Discussion

lacco36: Don't throw away a weapon when you are given one - learn how to use it or trade it. We should wait for the pilgrim priest - he should decide if it's cursed or not - if it's not cursed, we have something to fight with. If it's not cursed and you don't want to use it, sell it. If it's cursed, let's destroy it.

JbeJ: Even if we don't wield it, something that ancient and powerful would be apprecciated as part of a shrine. Not the pigrim perhaps but an ancient weapon would be a good way to atttract a small amount of attention from a war god of any alignment.

Luccan's Discussion

dangelo: If they look like us, speak our tongue and aren't aggressive, welcome them (even if they're weird looking fellows like the one-eyed hunter). If not, they're nothing but uncivilized barbarians.

JbeJ: We have not all been here long, it was little over half a decade ago that the smiths arrived here from a place of danger, and had we turned them away we'd have found it much harder to get the smithy working.

Ongoing Projects:

Local Militia: 5 Weeks Remain
Lambs and Calfs: 5 Weeks remain
Feed the Beast: Long Sincce Complete (Dangelo to Post)

Luccan
2021-01-27, 06:45 PM
Six of Diamonds

Outsiders arrive in the area. Why are they a threat? How are they vulnerable?

A band of orcs has taken up residence to the south. They seem uninterested in the town for now, but are hunting the woods just like the grey men. Between the two, game has dwindled significantly, and even the hunters are hesitant to enter the forest for fear of winding up hunted themselves. However, the orcs have no permanent shelter and seem less organized than our community.

Start a Project:

The Pilgrim's priests have asked for our help in constructing the shrine. Once it's complete our new healer, Edran, can get to work.
5 weeks

dangelo's Discussion

JbeJ: Even if we don't wield it, something that ancient and powerful would be appreciated as part of a shrine. Not the pilgrim perhaps but an ancient weapon would be a good way to attract a small amount of attention from a war god of any alignment.

Luccan: We should be careful with magic. If the priest can't tell us what it is, we should toss it back down the mine shaft where we found it.

Luccan:

Luccan's Discussion

JbeJ: We have not all been here long, it was little over half a decade ago that the smiths arrived here from a place of danger, and had we turned them away we'd have found it much harder to get the smithy working.

Luccan: We should remain cautious, but hope for the best so long as they can talk to us. Discussion end.

Ongoing Projects:

Local Militia: 4 Weeks Remain
Lambs and Calfs: 4 Weeks remain
Feed the Beast: Long Sincce Complete (Dangelo to Post)
Shrine Construction: 5 Weeks

dangelo
2021-01-28, 08:59 PM
Seven of Diamonds
5th week of Summer

An unattended situation becomes problematic and scary. What is it? What makes it go away?

The flocks of ravens that have been showing up around the village start to get louder. They squeak and scream all night long and even attack other birds that fly by. Some villagers decide to shoot them one by one, but most refuse to eat their meat. The village ends up with a big pile of dead crows by the large bonfire, which terrifies most young children. Of course they were all burned, but their corpses released a fetid smell that lingered for days. People are feeling frowned upon by the gods.

My action: I'm gonna Discover something new:

A group of knights wearing mail and riding fine horses is crossing the province and decides to stick around for some time. They are gentle and kind, but they're also trying to get new recruits for the small army of our local baron, which our community isn't particularly found of. After all, his family has been waging wars for a decade now and this is the first Quiet Year we have had in a long time. We would like it to stay that way.

Ongoing Projects:

Local Militia: 3 Weeks Remain
Lambs and Calfs: 3 Weeks remain
Shrine Construction: 4 Weeks

Lacco
2021-01-29, 06:51 PM
6th Week of Summer
Four of Diamonds

The eldest among you dies. What caused the death?

It was Vilias, one of the village elders. He was wise, experienced hunters, and he was the one who told most of the stories around the campfire.

He will be remembered.

With nightfall came the wind, fierce wind - a wind that usually brings storm. Everybody could hear it howling - and nobody ventured outside. Well, nobody except Vilias as it seems. He ventured out of his house - the one nearest to the pilgrim encampment and was found dead in the middle of his own field, his head crushed by a nearby cudgel.

The dagger he had for safekeeping is missing.

The villagers suspect the pilgrims, the pilgrims suspect the villagers of foul play. The knights view this, the crows and the howling as bad sign and are considering starting a witch hunt.

Action: Discover Something New!

One of local youngsters that practice with militia, Alnaz, son of Braheir the Smith, found an abandoned hut in the middle of northern forest, near the standing stones. It seems like it was occupied quite recently and contains lots of various herbs, poultices and a large, black cauldron. The occupants are nowhere to be seen.

He also reported that he felt like the whole forest was watching him on his way back.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Workable iron - sufficient (for now)
Healing - shortage
Mining Pit (blocked)
Smithy (provide sufficient tools; for now)

Ongoing Projects:

Local Militia: 2 Weeks Remain
Lambs and Calfs: 2 Weeks remain
Shrine Construction: 3 Weeks

https://i.ibb.co/tKKVd3h/20210130-003437.jpg (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i3g3_-SrF1elVcqYY1paHjAAX6wC6Mcm/view?usp=sharing)

JbeJ275
2021-01-29, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=lacco36;24906409]6th Week of Summer
Jack of Diamonds

Predators and bad omens are afoot. You are careless, and someone goes missing under ominous circumstances. Who?

It was Alnz, Son of Brahier, he has been of a volaitile mood and reporting nightmare of a vast black eye ever since he found the hut. After a week of the black cloud descending to form a haze and the summer swarms of midges and gnats growing ever more intense he was simply not present one morning when his father awoke. All his possesions seemed to be gone as well, and a single pot of herbs he had taken from the witches hut had grown massively overnight, covering the inside and outside of one of the smith's house's walls. The herb, once pleasant and medicinal now smells incredibly bitter and otherworldly.

Action:
Start a Project:

Find someone in the village or nearby who is to blame for these recent unnatural occurances, and send them off with the knights to face justice.

Duration: 4 Weeks.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage
Mining Pit (blocked)

Ongoing Projects:

Local Militia: 2 Weeks Remain
Lambs and Calfs: 2 Weeks remain
Shrine Construction: 3 Weeks
Punish Someone for the Curses: 4 Weeks

Luccan
2021-02-02, 10:02 PM
7th Week of Summer: 10 of Diamonds
You discover a cache of supplies or resources. Add a new Abundance

The forest has begun to yield strong wood more plentifully than in past years. With the militia in need of weapons and the fears surrounding the monsters and darkness that seem all about these days, everyone is happy to arm themselves with a sturdy staff or club or to be able to reinforce their homes. There's even some to lend to the pilgrims' shrine.

Action: Discover Something New

The pile of dead crows that had been steadily growing the past few weeks is gone overnight. In its place is a plant not unlike the one found on Brahier's home the night of Alnaz's disappearance, though less foul. There is also a note scrawled in the dirt, which those who can read make out as "Grateful"

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance

Local Militia: 1 Week Remain
Lambs and Calfs: 1 Week remain
Shrine Construction: 2 Weeks
Punish Someone for the Curses: 3 Weeks

dangelo
2021-02-03, 07:43 PM
8th week of Summer
Nine of Diamonds

A project fails. Which one? Why?

Find someone to blame:
The villagers get angrier and angrier and quickly start talking about burning witches. Accusations fly around but nothing gets conclusive. It solves nothing, and morale is down again.

Discover something new:
A mysterious priest from the town beyond the hills shows up in a large black horse. He's earnest and authoritarian but somehow brings confident words against the horrors of the night. Every dusk he says a prayer in the pilgrim's square. The villagers are still not sure about him.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance

Projects:
Local Militia: Finished!
Lambs and Calfs: Finished!
Shrine Construction: 1 Week
Punish Someone for the Curses: 2 Week

JbeJ275
2021-02-07, 08:21 AM
9th week of Summer
Eight of Diamonds

A headstrong community member decides to put one of their ideas in motion. Start a foolish project.

Brahier insisting that at least something is done about the various unknown forces surrounding them begins breaking the mine back open and filling it with lines of quicklime, charcoal and wood trimmings. It seeems he plans to burn the Evil out.

Start a project:
Burn the evil out

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance

Projects:
Shrine Construction: 1 Week
Punish Someone for the Curses: 2 Week
Burn the evil out: 3 Weeks

Lambs and Calfs:
Now the lambs and calfs have been weaned and brought over from far off villages. Now they slowly begin to grow up and grow their first coats of wool. A careful look is kept out for signs of pluage but fortunately they all seem to be handling the new environs well and the new Herdsmen make ready to feed them now so they may survive the ever harsh winter.

dangelo
2021-02-08, 07:59 AM
Last week of summer
Three of Diamonds

Summer is a time for conquest and the gathering of might. Start a project related to military readiness and conquest.

Gathering wood and people to build a palisade around the village (only the houses that are close together, not the farms), and deciding on all the details about it. Suggested time: 5 weeks

In my turn we'll discover something new: One of the knights who were passing by the province had an unfortunate encounter with two of the bigfoot-y wild furry creatures. In the heat of the moment, he attacked and killed both of them, one which was revealed to be a youngster.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance

Projects:
Shrine Construction: Finished
Punish Someone for the Curses: 1 Week
Burn the evil out: 2 Weeks
Build a Palisade: 5 Weeks

Luccan
2021-02-13, 12:16 AM
Finished: Shrine Construction. Despite some wariness from certain community members, a sturdy shrine and living area are built for the acolyte, a young woman named Jerana. She provides healing for the community and over all health begins to improve with her help.

First Week of Autumn Ten of Clubs
Cold autumn winds drive out your enemies. Remove a threatening force from the map and the area.

With the cold season not far off, the orcs have little protection in their tents and hovels. They move further south, no longer hunting the woods or threatening the village with their presence

Action
Start a conversation (remember we can hold this in the OOC so we don't wait multiple game weeks to finish this):
Should we attempt to make peace with the grey-men, in case winter makes them desperate?

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - shortage
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance

Projects:
Burn the evil out: 1 Week
Build a Palisade: 4 Weeks

dangelo
2021-02-16, 07:44 AM
Second Week of Autumn Two of Clubs
You find a body. Do people recognize who it is? What happened?

It's a young man called Bartholomew, one of the knights. It seems like he was visiting the local tavern the previous night and in the morning was found in the alley with his throat slit and all his money with him. The owner of the place and a few people, fearing that the other knights could think that they were responsible for Sir Bartholomew's death, decided to hide the body and melt his mail and his sword.

Action
Start a discussion: What should we do about this death?

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - shortage
Healing - sufficient
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance

Projects:
Burn the evil out: Finished!
Build a Palisade: 3 Weeks

JbeJ275
2021-02-23, 04:31 AM
Third Week of Autumn Jack of Clubs
A project finishes early. Which one? Why?

The Palisade is completed this week, as the orcs absence allows more parties to stay outside the safe permiter encompassed by the palisade in order to finish its construction. With other dangers seemingly apparant many previously too scared to venture beyong the site of the palisade now head into the woods to help cut down and shape the spikes that make up the defensive struture. At the end of the week it stands strong, a cpable defense against wild animals or the more oppurtunistic marauders but not against determined assults.

Resolve: Burn the evil out:

With pitch and tar and shavings of wood now packed tight into the tunnel Brahier journeys down with a torch to set the whole structure alight. The flame burns slowly in the cramped and abandoned tunnels, and the earth shakes several times as small sections of it collapsedown on itself, though luckily never directly bellow a structure. To the suprise of some, both the plants outside of Brahier's house and that which has consumed the dead crows become writhing dried out thorny masses, seemingly dead but not decaying.

Action:

Build a Central Storehouse to ensure the food being harvested now will be preserved through the winter.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Farm animals - Sufficient
Healing - sufficient
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance

Projects:
Build a Central Storehouse. 3 Weeks

Luccan
2021-02-25, 09:03 PM
Fourth Week of Autumn: 7 of Clubs

Something goes foul and supplies are ruined. Add a new Scarcity.

The streams near town have turned foul. Villagers must now venture into the forest to collect fresh water, a daunting task given the length of the trip and the inability to defend oneself or flee with a full bucket.

Action:

Clear the Foul Waters The streams near the village flow down from the hills outside town (top left on the map). We should find whatever has befouled the source and clear it if we can 3 weeks

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Healing - sufficient
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance
Fresh Water- Scarcity

Projects:
Build a Central Storehouse 2 Weeks

Clear the Foul Waters 3 weeks

Lacco
2021-04-07, 02:27 AM
Fifth Week of Autumn: 4 of Clubs

The strongest among you dies. What caused the death?

During the night, Brahier is heard shouting gibberish, running around, screaming. Nobody dares to venture outside, but the newly formed militia - spears in hand. Brahier is found dead, lying face-down in the foul stream. His face is half-decayed from the water and there are scratch marks all over his body and clothes. A shadowy figure is seen running towards the forest.

Militia members go back to fetch torches, but when they return, Brahier's body is not found.

Action: Discover something new.

A search group is organized, with two of the best hunters, accompanied by half of the militia. A path through the mountains, lined with runic stones, is found. As they step on the path, they retreat, feeling uncomfortable. What they do not see is, that after they retreat, the runic stones begin to shine in deep red.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Healing - sufficient
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance
Fresh Water- Scarcity

Projects:
Build a Central Storehouse 1 Week

Clear the Foul Waters 2 weeks[/QUOTE]

Luccan
2021-05-15, 03:02 PM
Six of Clubs

Introduce a dark mystery among the members of the community

It seems someone in the village has been actively working against the outsiders. Both the priest's usual spot in the square and the outside of the shrine to Ozmathis have been graffitied with threatening messages, the most prominent reads simply "Remember the fate of Bartholomew", a clear reference to the slaughtered knight several weeks ago. No one has come forward with accusations or a confession.

Action
Start a discussion: Despite our walls and weapons, death seems more frequent than usual, not less. How can we handle the violence from our own?

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Healing - sufficient
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance
Fresh Water- Scarcity

Projects:
Build a Central Storehouse Completed, whoever started the project please description be the finish (remember it doesn't have to be successful, but if not we should still learn something useful)

Clear the Foul Waters 1 week

Lacco
2021-06-08, 05:36 AM
Five of Clubs

The Parish arrives. Who are they? Why have they chosen your community, and for what?

"They are here! They are here!"
"Who?"
"The Wrath Singers."
"No."

A group of riders in full mail, clad in the dark gray loose tunics with insignia of the order. Followed by a dozen of priests, half of them flagellating themselves, the other half walking bound in pews, singing their wrathful song. The unholy holy warriors of wrath, that want to cleanse the world of darkness. With fire.

They came. And they expect the hospitality, cooperation in their cleansing rituals and obedience. They will stay until the darkness is warded off... and they do not like other churchmen in general.

Action
Discover something new: A small shrine has been found in a grove beyond the river. It looks ancient, just a simple place of worship, a black obsidian stone covered in runes and few standing stones. Local hunter discovered it by accident - but according to him, there was a well-travelled path and several sets of tracks leading to the village.

Resources:
Arable land - abundance
Healing - sufficient
Mining Pit (blocked)
Sturdy Wood - Abundance
Fresh Water- Scarcity

Projects:
Build a Central Storehouse Completed, whoever started the project please description be the finish (remember it doesn't have to be successful, but if not we should still learn something useful)

Clear the Foul Waters: finished (please finish description).

Luccan's Discussion: Despite our walls and weapons, death seems more frequent than usual, not less. How can we handle the violence from our own?
Lacco36: We have to fight darkness as a community, as a family would - not bring in more strangers that bring discord.

JbeJ275
2021-07-01, 07:41 AM
Nine of Cubs

Someone goes missing. They’re alone in the winter elements.

The community organizes constant search parties and eventually the person is found. Project dice are not reduced this week.

Benjamin, the Hunter who found the shrine went missing one midnight, his lodge covered in signs of desperate struggle, but too far from the village for help to reach him in time. The Wrath Singers presume to judge ll his family if it seemss he has succumbed to sin, and so they and many others are desperate in their attempts to find him.

Eventually he is found, bloody and half broken near the path leading from the shrine deeper into the woods. Upon waking he tells a story of red eyed man leading a host of beings fromed from root and shadow to drag him away, with him desperatley fending them off and eventually esaping admist some other chaos. This would be dismissd as drunken madness, except the then draws a blade of pure obsidian that no-one searching his bodt had found. It's jagged blade tinted a strange red.

Storehouse: Though the winter has shown that the cillage has much to fear from the outside world, the inside of the walls becomes a more secure place than before with a humble but practial storehouse holding enough food to carry them through the winter... should nothing happen to it of course.

Discussion: This vioence does not always follow the normal cycles our hnters and militiamen are used to. I fear there is little we can do to fight it without exploring these forces further ourselves.