PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape Trigger Dive Attack Twice?

Verble
2021-01-24, 02:40 PM
I had a question I was hoping you could answer for me.

So I have a lizardfolk moon druid and I was curious about the interaction between his bonus action Hungry Jaws ability and the Dive Attack ability of the Quetzalcoatlus.

Dive Attack. If the quetzalcoatlus is flying and dives at least 30 feet toward a target and then hits with a bite attack, the attack deals an extra 10 (3d6) damage to the target.

Hungry Jaws. In battle, you can throw yourself into a vicious feeding frenzy. As a bonus action, you can make a special attack with your bite. If the attack hits, it deals its normal damage, and you gain temporary hit points (minimum of 1) equal to your Constitution modifier, and you can't use this trait again until you finish a short or long rest.

Now if I Dive Attack I can use my action to bite and receive the Dive Attack bonus damage. My question is if I also use my bonus action Hungry Jaws to bite does it also benefit from the Dive Attack bonus damage?

PhantomSoul
2021-01-24, 02:54 PM
This is definitely a question for the DM (I'm assuming it's not you from the question); they'll first need to say whether a plausibly biological racial trait applies after wild shaping (the fluff of it being a feeding frenzy that causes it probably helps) and then whether the DM interprets the bite as being immediately after (in which case only the first bite is likely to count, or maybe the first bite that hits if they apply that interpretation more generously and allows the racial bonus action bite).

Given that Hungry Jaws is only once per short/long rest, the DM is more likely to allow it, though, since it curbs abuse or constantly repeated tactics, and makes it a fun interaction with a reasonable consideration (and even the high-constitution forms probably won't make this seem broken, again since the number of uses is capped).

In short, I'd probably allow it iff the player agrees that the feeding frenzy is not purely biological (e.g. solely triggered by a hormonal response), which could have repercussions in other contexts. That does potentially affect the setting/worldbuilding, though (e.g. it's a culturally learned trait and/or it's more strange if all lizardfolk would have it).

EDIT: I dropped off answering what I would do for the second part (whether Dive Attack applied if Hungry Jaws is an option). There I'm less sold, especially given Flyby. But since it requires level 8 to come online and Hungry Jaws is use-limited, I'd consider it -- and potentially go along with it, but with the strict statement that it's a per-case judgment since there could easily be similar phrasings on abilities that end up much more problematic. Realistically, though, I think it works better as a backup plan for "what if you missed the first attack?" than for getting two buffed bites in the turn (where I wouldn't hesitate to say it works, assuming Hungry Jaws is deemed to be an option at all).

Verble
2021-01-24, 03:09 PM
Realistically, though, I think it works better as a backup plan for "what if you missed the first attack?" than for getting two buffed bites in the turn (where I wouldn't hesitate to say it works, assuming Hungry Jaws is deemed to be an option at all).

A good point as the to hit bonus is pretty low on this form. Thanks.