PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Paladin Race: Tiefling Vs. Aasimar

Yogibear41
2021-01-24, 09:25 PM
Looking at making a tanky Hexblade/Paladin Multiclass and am trying to decide which would be a better race:

The Fallen Aasimar or the Zariel Tiefling.

I would use the variant that gives Tiefling wings.

I am basically look at whether Resistance to Radiant and Necrotic, or Resistance to Fire and the ability to fly is the better option.

J.C.
2021-01-24, 09:30 PM
Permanent flight is one of the most valuable features you can get.

Unoriginal
2021-01-24, 11:08 PM
Looking at making a tanky Hexblade/Paladin Multiclass and am trying to decide which would be a better race:

The Fallen Aasimar or the Zariel Tiefling.

I would use the variant that gives Tiefling wings.

I am basically look at whether Resistance to Radiant and Necrotic, or Resistance to Fire and the ability to fly is the better option.

The Tiefling with wings is not a Zariel Tiefling. It's a separate option, either/or.

For your question: resistance to fire applies a lot more than to radiant or necrotic, but if you get hit by radiant or necrotic it's often more crucial you don't lose much HP, if you get what I mean. So it's kind of equivalent in term of "it's nice to have".

Ettina
2021-01-25, 05:29 PM
Any reason why you're picking based on mechanics and not based on what you want your character concept to be? I mean "I was born looking half-devil because I was touched by fiendish power in some way" leads to a very different character than "I was a Chosen One who messed up somehow and ruined it".

Bundin
2021-01-25, 05:36 PM
Any reason why you're picking based on mechanics and not based on what you want your character concept to be? I mean "I was born looking half-devil because I was touched by fiendish power in some way" leads to a very different character than "I was a Chosen One who messed up somehow and ruined it".

This. Combat and encouters are only a part of the experience. Pick the race that fits the character you want to be when interacting with others (in a usually less lethal way ;))