PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Wordplay: help me brainstorm fun portmanteaus!

Zaq
2021-01-26, 02:48 PM
Basically the character I've got waiting in the wings is an orchemist. You know, a practitioner of orchemy: orcish alchemy. Orchemy is all about upgradin' and optimizin' and augmentin'. It's borne out of the same mindset that caused orcs to invent the orcish double axe, only with less welding and more potentially explosive brewing.

This kind of sprang from the thought "what would happen if orcs were smart but if they were still orcs?" and kind of went from there. The character happens to have STR as their primary offensive stat and INT as their primary defensive stat, and I got thinking about what kind of person would be like that. Especially when one of their tracks--this is Legend--is Knight (which makes them good at charging, at combat maneuvers, and at drawing melee aggro) and one is Combat Alchemist (which has them brewing all sorts of buffing potions). They engage in strange alchemical experiments and they have to be really smart to do that, but they use those smarts to make themselves beefier and hit harder while Leeroying up into enemies' grills (after, you know, drinking these bizarre and unstable brews). Amusing contrast, no? Or potentially so, at least. Once I realized that orc was actually a good fit and I came up with the term "orchemy," it all kind of flowed from there, leading to my desire to create more fun combo words like the ones you see below.

Got a character I'm going to be playing before too long who's got a habit of mashing words together to make new, more powerful words. Playful portmanteaus, if you will. The idea is that they're generally two-word phrases that [1] would sound natural when used together (so if you wouldn't use two words in a sentence together in the first place, don't mash them together), that [2] flow smoothly when mashed, and that [3] have a clear, easily intuited meaning where nearly any fluent speaker can figure out immediately what I mean when given any reasonable context at all.

They generally have at least a little bit of phonetic overlap so there's a clear spot to stick them together. Oh, and generally at least one (if not both) of the words is truncated a bit; we're not just gluing together multiple whole words.

Here's some examples I've been collecting. I came up with a few of these, but most of them have been observed elsewhere, so I'm not going to claim to be the first user of any of these in particular.

Upsettling: upsetting + unsettling
Legiterally: legitimately + literally
Ormy: orc + army
Orcademy: orc + academy
Enginuity: engineering + ingenuity
Prossibly: probably + possibly
Grood: great + good thanks, Strong Bad!
Glamboyant: glamorous + flamboyant
Realdiculously: really + ridiculously
Upsad: upset + sad

I'd love your help coming up with some more examples of fun words like this. Anything?