PDA

View Full Version : What motivates you to play TRPGs?

Green.Grizzly
2021-01-27, 11:12 AM
Greetings Adventurers!

I am currently in my final year of university and am in need of participants for my study into the motivations to play TRPGs and wondered if you guys could help me out.

To qualify for participation in the study you must be over 18 years old and play in at least one active group that plays a fantasy TRPG (DnD, Pathfinder, Warhammer Fantasy etc.).

Your involvement would be very much appreciated and may even have implications for making the game even better in future editions by incorporating psychological theory to better address player needs.

The questionnaire takes place entirely online and should take up no more than 10-15 minutes of your time. It will be live until the 8th of February. If you are interested, please use the link below for more information.

https://shusls.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_03zlquhA8J2hn2B

Also, i'd love to hear peoples opinions and theories on why TRPGs are become increasingly popular.

Mastikator
2021-01-27, 11:29 AM
I think TRPGs have become more popular because Critical Role and similar shows have become popular. People wanna try out the games they see others enjoy.

Green.Grizzly
2021-01-27, 11:52 AM
I think TRPGs have become more popular because Critical Role and similar shows have become popular. People wanna try out the games they see others enjoy.

Definitely agree. I also think that 5e has acted as a gateway for many people into other TRPGs with its easy to pick up system for new players.

Batcathat
2021-01-27, 11:56 AM
Another reason might be that computer RPGs (and video games in general) are very popular and people might want to try the tabletop games the inspired the genre.

Green.Grizzly
2021-01-27, 12:08 PM
Another reason might be that computer RPGs (and video games in general) are very popular and people might want to try the tabletop games the inspired the genre.

Good shout! One of the scales in the survey has previously been used in video game research so it might be interesting to compare the data collected with previous literature.

Democratus
2021-01-27, 01:38 PM
Same reason Rock & Roll eventually became popular.

In large part because the "outcasts" who played the game decades ago have grown up and become relevant in the world. In it's early years, D&D was new and largely a sub-culture thing. Over time it became multi-generational and more established. The classic way to become a D&D player in the 80s was to have an older brother or uncle teach you.

It also helped that modern technological venues (computer programs, internet, etc.) had a very large fraction of gamers among the creators and innovators.

Anonymouswizard
2021-01-27, 04:17 PM
and play in at least one active group that plays a fantasy TRPG (DnD, Pathfinder, Warhammer Fantasy etc.).

Well that counts me out. Well, I kind of am, but we've had trouble meeting for roughly three months.

Side note:for many people the social interaction side is as important as the game side. It's why RL sessions tend to be lighthearted and veer off on tangents for some groups. Dwarven public transport lectures and all that.

MrStabby
2021-01-27, 10:39 PM
Wow... those are some slightly depressing possible answers.

The why do you play RPGs question - not just a simple answer of "because its fun and I enjoy it"?

Green.Grizzly
2021-01-28, 05:42 AM
Same reason Rock & Roll eventually became popular.

In large part because the "outcasts" who played the game decades ago have grown up and become relevant in the world. In it's early years, D&D was new and largely a sub-culture thing. Over time it became multi-generational and more established. The classic way to become a D&D player in the 80s was to have an older brother or uncle teach you.

It also helped that modern technological venues (computer programs, internet, etc.) had a very large fraction of gamers among the creators and innovators.

Agreed. As you say, I think the influence from those passionate about the game has definitely contributed to the rising popularity. However, I'd not thought of the possible implications of players having been involved in the creation of such widely used technologies. Thanks!

Well that counts me out. Well, I kind of am, but we've had trouble meeting for roughly three months.

Side note:for many people the social interaction side is as important as the game side. It's why RL sessions tend to be lighthearted and veer off on tangents for some groups. Dwarven public transport lectures and all that.

Don't worry about that, I know people who play twice a year and i'd still say that they're an active group. Having a group in mind when answering is what matters.

I think you're right with the social interaction side being important too. It melds into the Basic psychological needs theory (Ryan & Deci, 2008) that can affect motivation.

Jay R
2021-01-28, 09:48 PM
I think that they are becoming increasing popular in large part because they are becoming increasingly known.

When I started playing in 1975, almost nobody had heard of it. You had to already be connected to wargaming to even know that D&D existed.

In the 1980s, people had heard about it in only two ways -- by being a nerd, or by hearing about how it was demonic.

By the early 21st century, many people had heard of it, and knew a little about it, but not much.

Now, it's clearly a part of mainstream popular culture. People have seen it being played on an extremely popular major-network comedy (The Big Bang Theory).

The more people that know about it, the more people will play it.

AntiAuthority
2021-01-30, 03:40 PM
For me, it's the freedom to do whatever you want, as opposed to videogame RPGs where there are limits on what you can say and do in-universe.

As a storyteller, I sometimes just like making campaigns to play with people in.

Even better if I can play with close friends, or even make new friends from playing a game with strangers.

Green.Grizzly
2021-02-01, 10:50 AM
I think that they are becoming increasing popular in large part because they are becoming increasingly known.

When I started playing in 1975, almost nobody had heard of it. You had to already be connected to wargaming to even know that D&D existed.

In the 1980s, people had heard about it in only two ways -- by being a nerd, or by hearing about how it was demonic.

By the early 21st century, many people had heard of it, and knew a little about it, but not much.

Now, it's clearly a part of mainstream popular culture. People have seen it being played on an extremely popular major-network comedy (The Big Bang Theory).

The more people that know about it, the more people will play it.

Definitely, it's also been shown in other popular shows like community, gravity falls, IT crowd and a bunch of others. Perhaps this simple exposure to it has had a massive impact on increasing its popularity.

For me, it's the freedom to do whatever you want, as opposed to videogame RPGs where there are limits on what you can say and do in-universe.

As a storyteller, I sometimes just like making campaigns to play with people in.

Even better if I can play with close friends, or even make new friends from playing a game with strangers.

I think this is one of the reasons why they've remained so popular even when alternatives like videogames exist. TRPGs can really exercise the imagination in ways other media can't. That also links great with the social aspect, where you combine imaginations to create a narrative which is very hard to replicate as well elsewhere.

denthor
2021-02-02, 02:10 PM
I took your research questionnaire. Would like to see results.

I thought it was interesting you spent so many questions on are they your friends.

I just want to watch the best plan go off the rails with dice
rolls, improvise rolls, get out alive..

Captain Cold

Make the plan.

Execute the plan

Expect the plan to go off the rails.

Throw away the plan

Imbalance
2021-02-02, 02:41 PM
"Because Master punishes me unless I throw the math rocks" could have been an interesting option. For data control, of course...