PDA

View Full Version : Ominislash - ToB question.

Roderick_BR
2007-11-07, 12:47 PM
Okay, I was talking to a friend on MSN, and the ToB topic came up.
I'm making a epic level ToBer (at first I'll make a crusader with a build I learned here in the forum, my second choice is a warblade/swordsage/master of nine).
When reading about 9th level maneuvers, I was curious with Time Stands Still. You use a full action to activate it, and receives 2 full attack actions. Basically, you can attack twice, using all your attacks.
My question is, can you use one of these actions to move? For example, use TSS, move and attack on your first full attack action, then perform your second full attack.
Alternatively, can that first move and attack, instead, be a charge?
Now, the cool part. I'm pretty sure there is a feat that allow you to charge an enemy, and continue moving.
If you have pounce, and a good speed (from magic boots, for example), can you charge the target with your first full attack action, full attack him, move far enough, stop, turn around, and charge him again as your 2nd full attack?
Add to that TWF, including the epic one, that allows you to attack up to 4 times with your off-hand weapon, and levels in Tempest, using two hasted weapons to attack 10 times in each full attack, up to 20 times with the 2 full attacks. To make up for the weaker power attack bonus, you can take oversized TWF and leap attack.

So, is this build valid? If you can't move(specifically charge) during a full attack action, *OR* said feat doesn't really exists (I may have misread it) then it probably won't work.

Of course, you can still do the 20 attacks without charging (and using some blood claw maneuver to make up the lack of mobility), but you can't use charge cheese.
Btw, I read something about swordsages making more than 30 attacks. Can it be done?

Starbuck_II
2007-11-07, 12:52 PM
Okay, I was talking to a friend on MSN, and the ToB topic came up.
I'm making a epic level ToBer (at first I'll make a crusader with a build I learned here in the forum, my second choice is a warblade/swordsage/master of nine).
When reading about 9th level maneuvers, I was curious with Time Stands Still. You use a full action to activate it, and receives 2 full attack actions. Basically, you can attack twice, using all your attacks.
My question is, can you use one of these actions to move? For example, use TSS, move and attack on your first full attack action, then perform your second full attack.

You can only make a 5 foot step before, during, or after a full attack action. So no true moving (5 foot steps aren't treated as a move action).

So, is this build valid? If you can't move(specifically charge) during a full attack action, *OR* said feat doesn't really exists (I may have misread it) then it probably won't work.

Of course, you can still do the 20 attacks without charging (and using some blood claw maneuver to make up the lack of mobility), but you can't use charge cheese.
Btw, I read something about swordsages making more than 30 attacks. Can it be done?

Charging doesn't count as a full attack action.

Darrin
2007-11-07, 01:37 PM
Okay, I was talking to a friend on MSN, and When reading about 9th level maneuvers, I was curious with Time Stands Still. You use a full action to activate it, and receives 2 full attack actions. Basically, you can attack twice, using all your attacks.
Alternatively, can that first move and attack, instead, be a charge?

No and no.

Time Stands Still does not give you two "turns" in a row. The entire maneuver is one full-round action, which allows you to full-attack twice. You can't swap one of your "full-attack actions" for another action. After you have used Time Stands Still, you have only used one full-round action.

Now, the cool part. I'm pretty sure there is a feat that allow you to charge an enemy, and continue moving.

Not exactly... I don't think Spring Attack is compatable with Charge. However, there is a feat that would allow something similar: Travel Devotion. 1/day, for 1 minute you may move up to your speed as a swift action. So you could Charge as a full-round action and then use a swift action to move away.

There are some abilities (Quicksilver Motion from Diamond Mind) and at least one magic item that can do something similar... a belt in the Magic Item compendium that gives you an extra standard or move action, but I forget the details. Heroic Surge from WoT/Dragonlance might also work.

If you have pounce, and a good speed (from magic boots, for example), can you charge the target with your first full attack action, full attack him, move far enough, stop, turn around, and charge him again as your 2nd full attack?

No. Time Stands Still is a single full-round action, not two separate full-round actions. It also does not allow you to charge, which is a separate type of action than a full-attack.

The Spank build (Crusader/RKV) got well over 100, but Sage Advice put the kibosh on White Raven Tactics:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=764997

For SwordSages, you're probably thinking of a Shadow Pounce build. Here's one that gets about 21 attacks every other round:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=9814002#post9814002

You can also combine RKV abuse with Shadow Pounce to make an EverPouncer and get even more attacks:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=10744037#post10744037

KIDS
2007-11-07, 01:39 PM
As said above, no and no. However, Time Stands Still is a strike that uses a Full Round action. Before using it, you could use Quicksilver Motion boost from diamond mind to get between as many enemies as possible!

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-07, 01:40 PM
Or, you can get a level of some battle caster class and spam Avalanche of Blades, which seems much more omnislashy, and is a lot more cheesy.

Roderick_BR
2007-11-07, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll look into these other options.

ZeroNumerous
2007-11-07, 01:44 PM
Or, you can get a level of some battle caster class and spam Avalanche of Blades, which seems much more omnislashy, and is a lot more cheesy.

This got me thinking about a wraithstriking, true striking, Jade Phoenix Mage..

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-07, 01:47 PM
If you get something for unlimited free actions, sure. True strike dissipates once a single hit is done. I was thinking more along the lines of some auralike spell that reduces AC or increases AB. But yeah, a duskblade/swordsage can do decently. Though you still need at least 3 levels of swordy, or six of dusky for a getting avalanche.

Temp
2007-11-07, 01:53 PM
Yeah... Truestrike really isn't that good a spell in actual gameplay.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-07, 02:03 PM
Aye, unless you're going for something like Strike of Perfect Clarity, or righteous Vitality. A hit can swing the tide there.