PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Advice for Battlemaster Archer

BGGCriticalMass
2021-01-28, 06:11 AM
I am looking for advice on some decisions about whether to multiclass with a battlemaster archer character.

The quick version - Do you think the benefits of a level in barbarian are worth the delay in progress in Fighter and the exclusion of reaching level 20 in fighter?

The background: I am playing in a game that had us roll 4d6drop1 straight down the line and was very lucky to get good scores in dexterity and constitution. I decided to try a Fighter Battlemaster Archer. I have not done anything new / original in choosing a human variant +1 Dex, +1 Con to get to 18s and Sharpshooter. Level 1 - Archery Fighting Style of course. Level 3 - Precision attack, Goading attack and Trip attack (Goading has proved very useful for imposing disadvantage, Trip hasn't had the best initiative order or party composition in the West Marches ish style campaign yet.)
Level 4 - Crossbow Expert and with the ability to craft our own magic items (if we have the "ingredients", skills, money, down time and level required). I have made Goggles of Night and a Hand crossbow +1 and a Longbow of Warning. I have also gained Boots of Elvenkind from party loot - our only Rogue is no longer with us.

The next step: When I get to level 6 I am very likely to craft a belt of Dwarvenkind (we have to be level 6 to craft rare items) to get +2 CON to 20 and also at level 6 ASI +2 DEX to 20. The belt will combine with goggles to give 120' darkvision which goes well with the hand crossbow. I would also get some other nice benefits like poison resistance etc.

The decision: At level 7, I am considering multiclassing into Fighter 6 Barbarian 1 - if / when I get to that stage. It would give me an immediate +3 AC by removing my studded leather (which currently gives me 16 AC (12 +4 from dex) but would be at 17 with the higher dex at level 6). I would also get resistance to p/b/s damage during rages. My strength though decent is not really being used for attacks so some aspects of Barbarian would not make much difference.
I doubt I will ever get this character to level 20.

The question: Do you think the benefits of a level (or two) in barbarian are worth a) the delay in progress in Fighter b) the loss of level 20 fighter (taking into account that is exceedingly unlikely)? If you think this multiclass is a bad move, please suggest alternative ways to improve the character.

Crafting a Cloak of Displacement might be a decent alternative to the multiclass.

I also looked at 3 levels in Gloomstalker but would need an ASI into wisdom just to make the prerequisites. Plus I think the solo-ish stealthing ahead would be less fun for everyone even if it was very effective.

Hael
2021-01-28, 07:18 AM
The decision: At level 7, I am considering multiclassing into Fighter 6 Barbarian 1 - if / when I get to that stage. It would give me an immediate +3 AC by removing my studded leather (which currently gives me 16 AC (12 +4 from dex) but would be at 17 with the higher dex at level 6). I would also get resistance to p/b/s damage during rages. My strength though decent is not really being used for attacks so some aspects of Barbarian would not make much difference.

The question: Do you think the benefits of a level (or two) in barbarian are worth a) the delay in progress in Fighter b) the loss of level 20 fighter (taking into account that is exceedingly unlikely)? If you think this multiclass is a bad move, please suggest alternative ways to improve the character.

Barbarian doesn't make much sense here. You're a fighter and you can eventually equip plate mail... If you dumped strength, then you could at least pick up halfplate. Most of a barbarian features are melee range only.

I would go for fighter at least until you get your 3rd attack. After that there are some interesting dips. Peace domain for concentration free bless (a d4 to attack rolls and saves is very strong) and Gloomstalker of course (you're a fighter so getting the Asi's shouldn't be too difficult)

BGGCriticalMass
2021-01-28, 07:24 AM
Barbarian doesn't make much sense here. You're a fighter and you can eventually equip plate mail... If you dumped strength, then you could at least pick up halfplate. Most of a barbarian features are melee range only.

I would go for fighter at least until you get your 3rd attack. After that there are some interesting dips. Peace domain for concentration free bless (a d4 to attack rolls and saves is very strong) and Gloomstalker of course (you're a fighter so getting the Asi's shouldn't be too difficult)

Thanks for your thoughts. Plate mail will only give me +1 to AC compared to Studded leather with 20 Dex. and will probably make stealth hard (or does Boots of elvenkind counter that?)

Hael
2021-01-28, 07:51 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. Plate mail will only give me +1 to AC compared to Studded leather with 20 Dex. and will probably make stealth hard (or does Boots of elvenkind counter that?)

Elven Boots give advantage for stealth that requires not making a sound (so eg no one can see you but could conceivably hear you). So the advantage-disadvantage cancel there. You will be at disadvantage for stealth checks for situations that differ from the above if you are wearing heavy armor.

Studded Leather with 20 dex will get you to 17 AC, plate will get you to 18. A barbarian would of course get you to 20 if you had both +5s in con and dex. Honestly, instead of the barbarian you could simply dip another class like the Gloomstalker and pick up defensive fighting style that gives you +1 ac, so the opportunity cost is only like +1 or +2 depending on if you take the plate or not and you wouldn't have to lose an attunement slot for your con.

AC is of course important, but for a ranged archer, its much less important than other things. For instance, the ability to get cunning action from a rogue dip could be at least as strong as +1 ac. Anyway, in my experience saves usually matter the most for a ranged fighter, which is why I like the one level cleric dip for 2d4 saves + attack rolls.

nickl_2000
2021-01-28, 08:02 AM
I wouldn't bother with a barbarian dip either. Your character is an archer and as such they shouldn't need to be in melee that often where you would need the higher AC and rage resistances. Doing so slows down your extra attack progressions and your ASIs.

For an archer character, the multi-classing choices I would be looking at are:
1) Rogue - You said you lost your rogue character, so this gives you 1 extra skill, thieves tools, and expertise
2) Ranger - 1 extra skill, hunter's mark at level 2, expertise at level 1 with Tasha's rules, and the defensive fighting style
3) Warlock - Hex, at level 2 you can get the Mage Armor invocation to have a 13+dex AC.

Frogreaver
2021-01-28, 08:32 AM
I am looking for advice on some decisions about whether to multiclass with a battlemaster archer character.

The quick version - Do you think the benefits of a level in barbarian are worth the delay in progress in Fighter and the exclusion of reaching level 20 in fighter?

The background: I am playing in a game that had us roll 4d6drop1 straight down the line and was very lucky to get good scores in dexterity and constitution. I decided to try a Fighter Battlemaster Archer. I have not done anything new / original in choosing a human variant +1 Dex, +1 Con to get to 18s and Sharpshooter. Level 1 - Archery Fighting Style of course. Level 3 - Precision attack, Goading attack and Trip attack (Goading has proved very useful for imposing disadvantage, Trip hasn't had the best initiative order or party composition in the West Marches ish style campaign yet.)
Level 4 - Crossbow Expert and with the ability to craft our own magic items (if we have the "ingredients", skills, money, down time and level required). I have made Goggles of Night and a Hand crossbow +1 and a Longbow of Warning. I have also gained Boots of Elvenkind from party loot - our only Rogue is no longer with us.

The next step: When I get to level 6 I am very likely to craft a belt of Dwarvenkind (we have to be level 6 to craft rare items) to get +2 CON to 20 and also at level 6 ASI +2 DEX to 20. The belt will combine with goggles to give 120' darkvision which goes well with the hand crossbow. I would also get some other nice benefits like poison resistance etc.

Crafting a Cloak of Displacement might be a decent alternative to the multiclass.

I also looked at 3 levels in Gloomstalker but would need an ASI into wisdom just to make the prerequisites. Plus I think the solo-ish stealthing ahead would be less fun for everyone even if it was very effective.

Are you actually taking alot of damage and struggling to stay up through fights? If not there is no need for Barbarian or anything adding more defense. If you are then I'd say a level of Barbarian is a fine solution.

Bloodcloud
2021-01-28, 09:28 AM
Better to rush the next ASI to get Alert to always play first... Dead monsters don't deal damages.

Tvtyrant
2021-01-28, 02:21 PM
I could see taking three levels of Barbarian for Path of the Ancestral Guardian, which with Battlemaster Archer makes you a ranged controller. Each turn you basically designate a creature to do 1/4 damage, and can use all of your other abilities as well.

LordShade
2021-01-28, 03:22 PM
I'd stay fighter through level 11 at least. After that, I think Rogue or perhaps a spellcaster are better dips than Barbarian for a ranged character.

What are your Int/Cha scores?

BGGCriticalMass
2021-02-04, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the reponses everyone. It is very helpful.

Better to rush the next ASI to get Alert to always play first... Dead monsters don't deal damages.

I was strongly considering that but I was going to go for Dex +2 at level 6 and Alert at level 8. There is no rushing levels in this game though. Apart from anything else we all have two characters so that when one is busy in downtime levelling or crafting magic items the other is used for adventuring. It means that in 32 sessions I have a Paladin2DivineSoulSorcerer4 and a level 5 battlemaster archer. (though I joined after the first two sessions, missed one session, and lost a character who had been played for 4 or 5 sessions).
Since I already have a longbow of Warning, is Alert still worthwhile or is that maybe overkill?

Elven Boots give advantage for stealth that requires not making a sound (so eg no one can see you but could conceivably hear you). So the advantage-disadvantage cancel there. You will be at disadvantage for stealth checks for situations that differ from the above if you are wearing heavy armor.

Thanks for clarifying. I suspected that was the way of it. It is strange that it says you make NO sound yet only gives advantage for sneak against that method of detection. Maybe the flavor text is exaggerated.

Honestly, instead of the barbarian you could simply dip another class like the Gloomstalker and pick up defensive fighting style that gives you +1 ac, so the opportunity cost is only like +1 or +2 depending on if you take the plate or not and you wouldn't have to lose an attunement slot for your con.

I think I mentioned that I don't have the wisdom to multiclass into ranger atm but it is an option later if the game goes long enough.

AC is of course important, but for a ranged archer, its much less important than other things. For instance, the ability to get cunning action from a rogue dip could be at least as strong as +1 ac.

I think this is the biggest reason why I am only considering it and not certainly going ahead with it.

Anyway, in my experience saves usually matter the most for a ranged fighter, which is why I like the one level cleric dip for 2d4 saves + attack rolls.

Is that a divine soul sorcerer or a cleric ability I am forgetting?

What are your Int/Cha scores?

Stats were rolled down the line as 4d6drop1
Strength 14, Dexterity 17 (+1 for Variant Human to 18), Constitution 17 (+1 for Variant Human to 18), Intelligence 14, Wisdom 11, Charisma 8

Mastikator
2021-02-04, 04:00 AM
I think you're better off multiclassing into rogue, not for the sneak attack but for the cunning action. Being able to dash or stealth or steady aim as a bonus action will benefit your archery style.

BGGCriticalMass
2021-02-04, 04:06 AM
I think you're better off multiclassing into rogue, not for the sneak attack but for the cunning action. Being able to dash or stealth or steady aim as a bonus action will benefit your archery style.

Maybe. At the moment I am using Crossbow expert to make an extra attack.

Gignere
2021-02-04, 08:40 AM
Maybe. At the moment I am using Crossbow expert to make an extra attack.

I would stay fighter until at least 11. You should look into your maneuvers for added defense and ASIs. Like menacing attack can keep an enemy from even getting close to you. Even trip attack on your last attack can help keep enemies away.