PDA

View Full Version : looking for a way to detect magic into poor people to creat a magic school

Zhepna
2021-01-28, 07:25 AM
Hi,

we play 3.5 and I would like to help the poor of my city but creating a school, an hospital, an orphanage etc. I want to create a school of magic to train the ones that have a spark of magic inside them.

I'm not sure yet which class I'll play. Is there magic spells or items that detect this kind of things?

If I'm a cleric probably take the leadership feat and the hathran prestige class for circle magic. We start at level 13. I'll try to find powerful spells to help the poor against the rich.

Also, is there a way to transfert knowledge a fast way to a lot people? It could be non-magical like to learn to read and write or magical capacities?

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Doctor Despair
2021-01-28, 08:18 AM
Also, is there a way to transfert knowledge a fast way to a lot people? It could be non-magical like to learn to read and write or magical capacities?

Psionic power Mind Seed?

You impress the totality of your psyche into a subject’s subconscious. If successfully implanted, the seed of your mind “germinates” over the period of one week. During this time, the subject begins to unconsciously take on your mannerisms.

When integration is complete (after one week), the subject becomes you in mind as you were when you manifested the power, but the subject’s level is eight lower than your own. (In effect, the subject has received eight negative levels—but these are negative levels that can’t be removed.) The subject does not have any of your physical ability scores or equipment, but does have the Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores you had when you were eight levels lower. The subject also knows the powers you knew when you were eight levels lower.

While the subject is initially your mental duplicate, the two personalities diverge over time. Although the subject starts off with memories of your experiences, it possesses its original “soul” and physical body and is free to develop its own personality based on its own new experiences. Thus, the subject is not your slave or servant, but instead a nonplayer character in its own right that shares your earlier memories.

Protection from evil or a similar spell or power can prevent you from implanting mind seed, or prevent a seed from germinating while the protective power lasts. Otherwise, a germinating seed can be removed (prior to germination) only by psychic chirurgery, reality revision, or similarly high-level effects. Manifesting mind seed again during the germination period also cleanses the subject’s mind.

Saintheart
2021-01-28, 08:31 AM
Well, in terms of transferring knowledge rapidly, there's Scholar's Touch which allows you to tap a book and absorb the knowledge as if you'd done a complete read of it. Literally absorb one whole book per round. Nice low level spell.

RexDart
2021-01-28, 08:44 AM
Well, in terms of transferring knowledge rapidly, there's Scholar's Touch which allows you to tap a book and absorb the knowledge as if you'd done a complete read of it. Literally absorb one whole book per round. Nice low level spell.

It's Range:Personal, but if the students are advanced enough to have access to first level spells, it'd be a heck of a useful thing for students in a magic school! (Also available to both arcane and divine casters.)

Then pair it with one of my favorite 0 level spells, Summarize, and you've even got a business model for dealing with captured bad guy libraries!

Saintheart
2021-01-28, 08:53 AM
It's Range:Personal, but if the students are advanced enough to have access to first level spells, it'd be a heck of a useful thing for students in a magic school! (Also available to both arcane and divine casters.)

It's a cleric 1 spell, and therefore - if you have a Runecaster around - a permanent rune of Scholar's Touch costs 2,000 gp, has unlimited charges, and casts the spell on anyone who touches the rune. Which means you don't have to be the caster to access its benefits. Otherwise, magic trap, autoreset, never miss, done.

Darg
2021-01-28, 11:52 AM
Spellcasting as a wizard is a skill which is learnable if one has the intelligence to grasp it. What you really want is a way to find their intelligence score. Maximize a few spells to drain intelligence to find their threshold.

Doctor Despair
2021-01-28, 11:55 AM
Spellcasting as a wizard is a skill which is learnable if one has the intelligence to grasp it. What you really want is a way to find their intelligence score. Maximize a few spells to drain intelligence to find their threshold.

Or just use Mindsight; goodness gracious.

Gavinfoxx
2021-01-28, 02:19 PM
Read this for ideas:

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1Z9NJIs751Af3i0IEIJwCkIp9H9YFiZYZ7u-wmYVaheI/

Calthropstu
2021-01-28, 03:49 PM
Psionic power Mind Seed?

You impress the totality of your psyche into a subject’s subconscious. If successfully implanted, the seed of your mind “germinates” over the period of one week. During this time, the subject begins to unconsciously take on your mannerisms.

When integration is complete (after one week), the subject becomes you in mind as you were when you manifested the power, but the subject’s level is eight lower than your own. (In effect, the subject has received eight negative levels—but these are negative levels that can’t be removed.) The subject does not have any of your physical ability scores or equipment, but does have the Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores you had when you were eight levels lower. The subject also knows the powers you knew when you were eight levels lower.

While the subject is initially your mental duplicate, the two personalities diverge over time. Although the subject starts off with memories of your experiences, it possesses its original “soul” and physical body and is free to develop its own personality based on its own new experiences. Thus, the subject is not your slave or servant, but instead a nonplayer character in its own right that shares your earlier memories.

Protection from evil or a similar spell or power can prevent you from implanting mind seed, or prevent a seed from germinating while the protective power lasts. Otherwise, a germinating seed can be removed (prior to germination) only by psychic chirurgery, reality revision, or similarly high-level effects. Manifesting mind seed again during the germination period also cleanses the subject’s mind.

Lol, kill all the poor and replace them with yourself. CE at its finest.

Troacctid
2021-01-28, 03:54 PM
You don't need any inborn magical talent to become an adept or magewright.

Darg
2021-01-28, 04:01 PM
Or just use Mindsight; goodness gracious.

Hmm, I wonder why it skipped my mind? :biggrin:

GeoffWatson
2021-01-29, 01:42 AM
Can anyone with enough Int be a Wizard if they spend enough time training? Or do they need a "spark of magic" first?

It's up to the DM how common magical aptitude is.
Any PC can take levels in magical classes, but that's probably not true for NPCs.
Why would anyone be a Commoner or Warrior if better classes are available?

2021-01-29, 02:03 AM
Can anyone with enough Int be a Wizard if they spend enough time training? Or do they need a "spark of magic" first?

It's up to the DM how common magical aptitude is.
Any PC can take levels in magical classes, but that's probably not true for NPCs.
Why would anyone be a Commoner or Warrior if better classes are available?

There's no intelligence prerequisite to start as or become a wizard, that's a 5e thing. You can play a wizard with Int 3 if you want.

Multiclassing isn't an optional rule in this edition, that's a 5e thing. If you level up, it can be into any class, and that can include going straight into wizard, skipping the years or even decades worth of magical study that would normally require if you were just starting out. Granted, followers gained via the Leadership feat only "level" when your leadership score changes

...at least, that's how the system rules function. Realistically, how NPCs interact with XP and the leveling system is going to be different from table-to-table. Maybe the ability to level up at all is something only possessed by individuals blessed by fate.

Morty_Jhones
2021-01-29, 10:13 AM
personaly I would go Cloystered cleric of bacob then to Arcane Theirge at 5th, with leadership as a feat, take the flaw of a moderate enermy and sink the bonuse into Parcticed spell caster for cleric Wiz and educated.

then most of my cash would go into a school and its teachers (my henchmen) and then lol at the gm at the idea of even going anywhere cuss i have students to look after.

Vizzerdrix
2021-01-29, 10:38 AM
Isn't their a Faerun feat that is fluffed something like this? Gives everyone a handful of cantrips or something?

Maat Mons
2021-01-29, 12:54 PM
The reason not everyone with a decent Int becomes a Wizard isn't because it requires some "spark." It's because medieval societies didn't tend to spend a lot of resources educating low-class people. Most D&D settings try to emulate this to some degree, though they are kind enough to let the common (non-Barbarian) folk learn to read. So when little Jimmy, the dirt-farmer's son says he'd like to study magic, they sit him down and explain how much money that would cost, how little money they have, and how he basically has no other option than to grow up to be a dirt farmer like his father, due to the economic realities of the world.

Zanos
2021-01-29, 04:37 PM
The reason not everyone with a decent Int becomes a Wizard isn't because it requires some "spark." It's because medieval societies didn't tend to spend a lot of resources educating low-class people. Most D&D settings try to emulate this to some degree, though they are kind enough to let the common (non-Barbarian) folk learn to read. So when little Jimmy, the dirt-farmer's son says he'd like to study magic, they sit him down and explain how much money that would cost, how little money they have, and how he basically has no other option than to grow up to be a dirt farmer like his father, due to the economic realities of the world.
You could also be smart and lazy, or smart and have no real talent for wizard magic. Or just not enjoy it. There's some worth to the argument of cost being a problem; I don't think there's a RAW cost for how much training is, but a 12 intelligence 1st level wizard would have a spellbook with 19 cantrips and 4 1st level spells, costing a total of 1350gp to have scribed at 100gp per page. Scribing even a cantrip is prohibitively expensive, even for a family of skilled laborers. Mage of the Arcane Order requires a minimum of 6th level, but members pay 30gp per month and a 750gp initiation fee. That's some serious cash. That said it could be worth the investment, considering a 1st level wizard could make 25gp per day by selling his spellcasting, provided he can find clients.

Depending on how modern your settings economic structures are, I could see someone going into debt to learn magic and paying it off. Or you could have something like an apprenticeship. Unless you have a setting where poor people can't take risks and put in extreme effort to change their outlook in life, but that sounds like a pretty bad setting for a heroic fantasy RPG.

NigelWalmsley
2021-01-29, 05:06 PM
The Mentor and Apprentice feats are pretty exactly "teach people do do stuff", though admittedly not with any super detailed level of mechanical specificity. That said, D&D does not (as far as I'm aware) assume any kind of "magical spark" as necessary for casting. You can just train people to be Wizards, provided you can figure out some way of getting them the requisite class levels. You can even train people with 9 Intelligence to be Wizards if you really want to, they're just bad at it until you figure out a way to raise their stats. Also, you don't need to train them to be Wizards. You could train them to be Warmages or some other class that doesn't need an expensive spellbook.