PDA

View Full Version : Mastery of Day and Night and Wands

weckar
2021-01-29, 07:17 PM
I am building a character with fairly bad ability scores (8,9,9,12,14,14). So, I want to play support so they don't matter as much.

Then I thought: Does the Mastery of Day and Night feat apply to spells cast from wands? I can't remember ever finding a good answer to that.

Darg
2021-01-29, 08:41 PM
I am building a character with fairly bad ability scores (8,9,9,12,14,14). So, I want to play support so they don't matter as much.

Then I thought: Does the Mastery of Day and Night feat apply to spells cast from wands? I can't remember ever finding a good answer to that.

You aren't casting spells from items. They are magic items that get triggered by an activation action. You don't cast the spell when crafting the item either. It's not possible for Mastery of Day and Night to apply it's benefit to wands whether crafted or used.

A lot of people don't realize you can hold the charge of your friendly touch spells and spend a full-round action to touch up to 6 friends to give them the benefit. This is a way to really stretch your support capability and drastically increases the efficiency of your cure spells when not in combat.

weckar
2021-01-29, 10:04 PM
That's... not how holding the charge works. That only works that way on spells that allow multiple creatures touched in the target line.

We got that wrong for a while, too.

Darg
2021-01-30, 12:39 AM
That's... not how holding the charge works. That only works that way on spells that allow multiple creatures touched in the target line.

We got that wrong for a while, too.

Except you can't hold the charge with those spells. They have to be discharged within the round they are cast. On the flip side, you can target as many as you want and the spell allows as part of the casting of the spell:

Some touch spells, such as teleport and water walk, allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell.

The rule on page 141 is defunct if it can't be used with single target touch spells. Since the rule is there, nothing contradicts it (touch spell mechanics are presented outside the spell descriptions), and WotC has not presented errata or clarification it is most likely not defunct. As such it is a valid rule because they are the only touch spells that can benefit from it.

weckar
2021-01-30, 10:20 PM
"some touch spells"
Play it like that if you wish, I suppose. Hardly the point of the thread though.

Thunder999
2021-01-30, 10:43 PM
A touch spell is discharged when you first touch someone, so even if you could touch multiple people as a full round action only the first person would be affected.

Darg
2021-01-30, 11:57 PM
As I mentioned above, to say that the rule doesn't apply makes it defunct (incase one doesn't understand, it means that the rule has no use or no longer has a use like the quicken spell free action). Touching 6 friendlies is part of the rules for holding the charge. The rules never say you expend the charge on the first target.

The rules explicitly tell you the actions necessary to discharge a held charge: spend a standard action to touch an ally, spend a full-round action to touch 6 (doesn't even preclude touching them at the same time), you can make touch attacks, unarmed attacks, or natural weapon attacks.

The rules explicitly tell you that all multitarget touch spells have to have all targets touched in the same round that you cast it. Meaning the 6 touched allies action can't apply because you can't hold the charge in the same round that you cast the spell.