PDA

View Full Version : Paladin or Valor Bard here?

jaappleton
2021-01-30, 11:37 AM
Here's the group makeup:

Mark of Shadow Swords Bard 6 (dual scimitars, DEX based)
Half Elf Vengeance Paladin 4 / Shadow Sorc 2 (greatsword, with a 14 Charisma)
Dragonborn Drakewarden Ranger 6 (dual wielding, STR based)
Triton Alchemist Artificer 6
Eladrin Scout Rogue 6 (longbow, good Wisdom)

And myself, the Mark of the Sentinel Wildfire Druid.

Honestly, we don't really have a tank; Paladins AC isn't spectacular, Swords Bard and Ranger both don't have super amazing AC but they're actually a little better than the Paladin. They're at 18, Paladin at 16.

We don't have a single frontline character using a 1h weapon and shield. And that's totally fine, we all know 5E doesn't require that. However, its a niche I want to fill.

If you've noticed, aside from my Druid, there's only one full spellcaster; the Swords Bard.

What I'd like to do is be a Hexborn (from the latest UA), and use a 1h weapon and shield, using the Shield Master feat. First round cast Hex, forgo an attack to utilize the Shove action to knock them prone, and then attack with Advantage. Subsequent rounds, use Shield Master to keep them prone if they've gotten up, and attack with Advantage.

I'd like to continue to be a spellcaster, hence why I do not want to be a Fighter. The question is, do I do this as a Paladin or as a Valor Bard?

Paladin gives that lovely +Cha Mod to saves to help maintain Concentration, as well as help nearby allies with a d10 HD and a fighting style. However, Bard is a full spellcaster, but d8 HD with Expertise, so I theoretically should nearly never fail knocking the target prone.

Guy Lombard-O
2021-01-30, 07:05 PM
Here's the group makeup:

Mark of Shadow Swords Bard 6 (dual scimitars, DEX based)
Half Elf Vengeance Paladin 4 / Shadow Sorc 2 (greatsword, with a 14 Charisma)
Dragonborn Drakewarden Ranger 6 (dual wielding, STR based)
Triton Alchemist Artificer 6
Eladrin Scout Rogue 6 (longbow, good Wisdom)

And myself, the Mark of the Sentinel Wildfire Druid.

Honestly, we don't really have a tank; Paladins AC isn't spectacular, Swords Bard and Ranger both don't have super amazing AC but they're actually a little better than the Paladin. They're at 18, Paladin at 16.

We don't have a single frontline character using a 1h weapon and shield. And that's totally fine, we all know 5E doesn't require that. However, its a niche I want to fill.

If you've noticed, aside from my Druid, there's only one full spellcaster; the Swords Bard.

What I'd like to do is be a Hexborn (from the latest UA), and use a 1h weapon and shield, using the Shield Master feat. First round cast Hex, forgo an attack to utilize the Shove action to knock them prone, and then attack with Advantage. Subsequent rounds, use Shield Master to keep them prone if they've gotten up, and attack with Advantage.

I'd like to continue to be a spellcaster, hence why I do not want to be a Fighter. The question is, do I do this as a Paladin or as a Valor Bard?

Paladin gives that lovely +Cha Mod to saves to help maintain Concentration, as well as help nearby allies with a d10 HD and a fighting style. However, Bard is a full spellcaster, but d8 HD with Expertise, so I theoretically should nearly never fail knocking the target prone.

Based upon what you're describing for your intended playstyle and your party, I think you might get better mileage from the Valor Bard. I've played both, and both are great fun. But as you mentioned, you only have one other full caster, and you'll definitely want the expertise with athletics that bard will give you. Plus, if you intend to up there in the front line, you should be near that vengeance paladin - does he intend to take paladin to 6 at some point? If so, that's one more reason to Bard.

jaappleton
2021-01-30, 08:18 PM
Based upon what you're describing for your intended playstyle and your party, I think you might get better mileage from the Valor Bard. I've played both, and both are great fun. But as you mentioned, you only have one other full caster, and you'll definitely want the expertise with athletics that bard will give you. Plus, if you intend to up there in the front line, you should be near that vengeance paladin - does he intend to take paladin to 6 at some point? If so, that's one more reason to Bard.

I think he intends to go Paladin 6 eventually, but he’s only got 14 Charisma. I’m not positive which route he’d go between Sorc and Paladin, as a result of his relatively low Charisma.

rlc
2021-01-30, 09:05 PM
You could also go with a bladesinger and take the tough feat

jaappleton
2021-01-30, 09:41 PM
You could also go with a bladesinger and take the tough feat

Bladesinger can’t use Shields with Bladesong.

Kessel
2021-01-30, 10:08 PM
You mentioned you want to be a caster so no Fighter, but Eldritch Knight for six levels could give some nice sword & board plus ASIs. Then go Wizard for the rest?

jaappleton
2021-01-30, 10:38 PM
You mentioned you want to be a caster so no Fighter, but Eldritch Knight for six levels could give some nice sword & board plus ASIs. Then go Wizard for the rest?

Not a bad idea. I could alternatively go any spellcaster route, if I were to dump Intelligence as an EK and focus on spells like Shield, Absorb Elements, etc.

sambojin
2021-01-30, 11:10 PM
You can make a bit of a blender from a Hexblood Stars Druid (or a spores druid).

Between Hex, multiattack forms, stars cannons, you've got quite a bit of damage output. Frilled Deathspitter comes online by level 4, and is very good for the CR. Dead = tanked.
(A spores doesn't get the extra stars cannons attack, but can get spores damage. Either subclass does require both wildshape charges to be used, but they're handy for when you're not casting, or just have your Summoned Beast (Air) helping with a bit of extra chip damage. There's a bit of windup time until your in full combat mode unfortunately. You could even be a Moon Druid instead and it'd work fine and tank a little more. Hex is simply that good at boosting a druid's damage output that anything is an option).

Anyway, totally not what you're looking for, but with all the blending you've got available in the party, why not join in the fun?
(Even with your build and ignoring wildshape synergies, stars for weal&woe or spores for tHP might fit a little better)

jaappleton
2021-01-31, 08:55 PM
......I am not smart.

I cannot believe I overlooked this.

You can forgo an attack to attempt to shove. I don’t need to use a shield at all.

Yes, Shield Master has some very nice benefits but it isn’t required to knock an enemy prone.

An Astral Soul Monk can do it with Wisdom if they want, for crying out loud. And of course I can utilize a shield but I don’t need one to shove.