PDA

View Full Version : If you got a stat raise, where would you put it?

ChocolateChtulu
2007-11-07, 03:00 PM
I wanted to put a poll in here, but I did not manage to find the button: are polls disabled in this board?

Anyhow, the question is simple: you get a single, +1 stat increase to your real-life self.
Where do you put it?

Personally, I'd increase WIS - it was a toss-up between Intelligence and Wisdom, but ultimately I feel that additional willpower and intuition would benefit me more than mere brainpower.

More CON would be nice, but it's not really a priority; and as for STR, DEX and CHA, I don't really care about them as long as I am strong and dexterous enough to walk upright, and charismatic enough not to be chased out of the town by a pitchfork-carrying mob :smallwink:

Setra
2007-11-07, 03:02 PM
Charisma

It'd help with interviews, and maybe my ex would go out with me again if my Cha was higher.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-07, 03:09 PM
CHA. Studies have shown that one is more likley to be sucessful by being really pretty than really smart or wise. Besides, I'm plenty smart. :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2007-11-07, 03:11 PM
WIS, no question. With any luck, it would give a slight bump to my listen and spot checks (currently at -4 from my "Inattentive" flaw, showing up in my nearsightedness and being half-deaf.). Besides, being wiser is always good!

Dhavaer
2007-11-07, 03:14 PM
Charisma. I'm fairly happy with everything else.

Cybren
2007-11-07, 03:16 PM
If strength is an odd score, strength. If strength isn't but dex is, dex. if neither are and no mental scores are odd, con. (con is less useful to a one hitdie character)

Priority for mental scores is Wis, Int, Cha, but if one is odd, and the other two aren't, that one.

TheLogman
2007-11-07, 03:17 PM
Charisma, I could always use less people who hate me and more people that don't.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-07, 03:18 PM
CHA. 'coz I've got my life planned to the very last thing, but I need more assertiveness to rally the people who I'll need for it to work out.

No, I'm NOT a wizard.

SadisticFishing
2007-11-07, 03:18 PM
If only 1 is odd, that one. Otherwise, I'd rate them at something like this order:

Con
Dex
Int
Wis
Cha
Str

Oh, that meaning if only a few were odd I'd take the one highest on that list. If none or all are odd, Constitution it is, I need to do more cardio =\ Plus, I get migraines, though I very rarely get sick other than that.

Grey Watcher
2007-11-07, 03:25 PM
Charisma would certainly be more useful to me in my career (I'm a singer, so it pertains directly to Perform (singing) checks, as well as enhancing Diplomacy and such with various producers, directors, conductors, etc.).

Intelligence might also be fun. Though I think I'm already pretty good on that front.

Wisdom might be cool, though I'm not sure how to rank myself. In terms of intuition and understanding, I think I'm pretty good, but in terms of perception, it's quite poor.

Already doing the gym to improve my Strength and Constitution, thanks.

My Dexterity is fine. I've been told I have decent talent as a dancer, and I'm not a dancer or an athlete by trade, so it hardly matters whether it's a +1 or +5.

Fhaolan
2007-11-07, 03:30 PM
Con, if that would fix my bad knee so I can run again. :smallsmile:

Callista
2007-11-07, 03:34 PM
INT. Just for once, I would like to ace a calculus test....

Artanis
2007-11-07, 03:35 PM
Wisdom. I desperately need it, since having ADHD leaves my "real-life WIS score" somewhere in the vicinity of negative six.

Jack Zander
2007-11-07, 03:40 PM
CHA. I'm already real high there, but I can always be higher. And that's really the only stat you need in life anyway.

Dubie
2007-11-07, 03:44 PM
1) Dex: I could always use a +1 on my range attacks (being a soldier, and participating in shooting sports on a regular basis)

2) Con: It would sure be nice if running far, and carrying heavy things far was less of a pain. Besides, it would help counter the negitive I'm getting from smoking.

3) Wis: I'm already fairly perceptive as far as my spot/listens/whatever, but a little more intuition could benifit me.

4) Cha: It would help out with my diplomacy/leadership skills.

5) Str: I think I'm already strong enough, and don't realy have any problems in the area. But what guy doesn't want to be one step closer to having that buff body builder physique.

6) Int: I don't think I would benifite all that much from various knowledge(whatever) skills. In the day of Google, all you realy need to do is roll a 5 or better on your Search Engine check to know anything you want about anything you may encounter. I already get enough skill points from my class, and I never found the need for bonus languages when you can just have a translator....

shadowdemon_lord
2007-11-07, 04:01 PM
Charisma, I need to be more assertive. I'm already plenty smart enough, although perhaps having more wisdom would help with my discipline. My strength dex and con scores are okay by me.

Darkxarth
2007-11-07, 04:07 PM
My Charisma (14) and Intelligence (13) are already my highest stats, and my physical abilities are out the door anyway (Str 8, Dex 10, and Con 6 I believe) so I'm going to go with Wisdom. Plus, since I was at 11 that'll knock me up to 12 and I can get a bonus to will saves, spot, listen, and profession!

Tempting thogh it would be to knock my Intelligence up to 14, I don't think I'll do any better in life without a decent Wisdom score.

All of these numbers came from that well-known ability score test which no one ever seems to have a link to, myself included. I think the name of the site was druidsgrove.com or something similar but I'm not sure

Prometheus
2007-11-07, 04:10 PM
Intelligence, right now I care less about being successful and more about what good I can do with it.

cupkeyk
2007-11-07, 04:11 PM
Wisdom, people agree that I am inattentive and immature. I am smart enough and charismatic enough to get any ob, but I am just too irresponsible to keep a job. LOLz.

brian c
2007-11-07, 04:21 PM
obviously, first priority goes to any odd score, but besides that I think I would improve either Int or Cha. I don't think that I'm lacking in intelligence by any means, but being a Mathematics major it's kinda important for me to have. Cha for the same reasons as everyone else, it would help in social situations and just life in general, being likable is good. I'm tempted to say Str though, because if I had to guess I would peg my strenght at about 9 and I'd rather not have a penalty. I wouldn't say that I'm weak though, but I'm about 5'7" and 120 pounds so I'm only strong for my size, not in general. Still, if I worked out more I could improve that myself, so Int/Cha would be best to use a magical "stat raise" for.

Maryring
2007-11-07, 04:54 PM
Wisdom. I want 20 wis and a diamond will.

It also boosts Heal checks.

You can't go wrong with Wisdom.

Roderick_BR
2007-11-07, 05:00 PM
I'd go with WIS too. I need better concentration abilities.
No, not the skill Concentration :smalltongue: But be able to pay more attention to things. I think my INT and CHA are good enough for my job.

goat
2007-11-07, 05:04 PM
Strength or Constitution probably. I could do with being a bit fitter.

Dairun Cates
2007-11-07, 05:09 PM
Charisma. Then I take my newly found bluff check to convince the universe that I haven't spent the point yet and put my cheaply acquired new point into intelligence.

Yeygresh
2007-11-07, 05:19 PM
Constitution. I'm already pretty much perfect in every conceivable way, so having a better chance to survive car crashes(People would obviously not pay attention to driving when they see me) and such would be the best.

Hzurr
2007-11-07, 05:24 PM
Hmm...the stat that needs it the most would be dex (I'm about a 7 or so)

However, by far the most useful real-world stat is CHA, so I'm going to boost that as much as possible.

kjones
2007-11-07, 05:32 PM
I would go for Con, only insamuch as it would affect my lifespan. Int would be good too, though I might go for Wis or Cha.

AAH! It's like Sophie's Choice all over again!

Dairun Cates
2007-11-07, 05:37 PM
I would go for Con, only insamuch as it would affect my lifespan. Int would be good too, though I might go for Wis or Cha.

AAH! It's like Sophie's Choice all over again!

I dare say choosing what to be cooler at is a bit less urgent than Sophie's Choice. Isn't that a bit like comparing a worm in your apple to the holocaust?

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-07, 05:40 PM
Nope. The right choice could make you be considered a paragon of humanity's wits, or physical abilities, or whateva. The wrong choice makes you the guy who's "a really good amateur, but not a good enough pro", who fades into obscurity. For each of us, it is, indeed, a tremendous choice.

Captain van der Decken
2007-11-07, 05:42 PM
I'd probably have to say wisdom. I have trouble finding my shoes on a bare floor.

Already doing the gym to improve my Strength and Constitution, thanks.

http://xkcd.com/189/

Fiery Justice
2007-11-07, 05:52 PM
Wisdom, my INT is sliding but I don't care that much, and my Charisma, while I would like it higher, isn't my strength. I mostly make it by on empathy, which is represented by wisdom. So I take wisdom.

dragonseth
2007-11-07, 06:20 PM
I would definitely say Intelligence. I need all the help I can get to get into Medical School.

WrstDmEvr
2007-11-07, 06:29 PM
Dex. I've got good INT and okay WIS, STR and CON good, but i can't dodge anything for my life.

de-trick
2007-11-07, 06:33 PM
CHR for the chicks

jks but still

Assasinater
2007-11-07, 06:51 PM
Wisdom, people agree that I am inattentive and immature. I am smart enough and charismatic enough to get any ob, but I am just too irresponsible to keep a job. LOLz.

So, you're wise enough to spot your low wisdom, and thus grow wiser?

Makes sense, actually. :smallamused:

bugsysservant
2007-11-07, 07:09 PM
Well, I would have to say int. or cha. The first would help others, since I will probably be a scientist, the second would help me. My wisdom is already worthless, and I have good strength and average dexterity. My constitution is also very good (I never get sick) but I'm counting on medical science to extend my lifespan.

Ultimately, I would probably go with charisma. I already am very smart, perhps the smartest in my school, and extra charisma always helps. Also, some incredible thinkers had only above average iqs (such as Feynman).

And remember: don't always boost the odd stats, they will change with age. Boost the important ones.

daggaz
2007-11-07, 07:25 PM
For fun? I would put it in Dexterity. Its my weakest stat, I would love to be able to juggle.

For seriousness, I would put it in Intelligence. (I can do a rubiks cube in three minutes, but who cant use some more brain power?)

Wisdom I have enough of, and it really just makes you sad in a strange, detached way.

Strength can always be handled in a gym.

Con I have naturally, seriously I never get sick. But hmm... if it adds ten healthy years to your life... hmmm...

Charisma is probably where I would put it if I actually GOT this stat increase. Its is truly the most useful in our world today. Im plenty charismatic, but you can never have enough pull over other people.

Azerian Kelimon
2007-11-07, 07:33 PM
Aye. If it was me, I'd put it there, not only because of the pull, but because it boosts what might the single most powerful, and best from an RP point, feat out there: Leadership.

Grynning
2007-11-07, 07:52 PM
I just took one of those tests, and it statted me as follows:
Str 11
Dex 13
Con 7
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 14

Guess my point is going into Con. This penalty sucks (although maybe quitting smoking would help :smallyuk: )
I guess I could also raise Strength and get a bonus finally...I did just buy a Gym membership that I have yet to use...

ForzaFiori
2007-11-07, 07:54 PM
I just took one of those tests, and it statted me as follows:
Str 11
Dex 13
Con 7
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 14

Guess my point is going into Con. This penalty sucks (although maybe quitting smoking would help :smallyuk: )
I guess I could also raise Strength and get a bonus finally...I did just buy a Gym membership that I have yet to use...

where are y'all finding these tests? i can't find one!

Da Beast
2007-11-07, 07:57 PM
Deffinetly Charisma. It's probably my weakest stat and one of the most important for the real world.

Grynning
2007-11-07, 08:03 PM
I just did a google search...here's the one that I found:
http://www.thehaws.org/add_quiz.shtml

Their method of determining INT is a tad unrealistic. If you really want to spend the time, try to find a reliable IQ test, take it, and divide by 10, that should be a good baseline for most folks.

Alex12
2007-11-07, 08:17 PM
Wisdom, since I tend to make poor decisions a lot, and IMO mental stats are more important than physical ones.

#Raptor
2007-11-07, 09:24 PM
First priority: Wisdom
Secound priority: Charisma

I'll happily train my str/con - and to some degree even dex and int - by the regular ways, but my wis really needs a raise, and having a high cha is never a bad thing... tends to make life alot easier.

Ozymandias
2007-11-07, 09:27 PM
Definitely one of the mental stats. Other than Con (for lifespan, I guess), the rest just aren't that useful in my life (practically). Probably Int although Cha would be good. Wis doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd be able to apply an arbitrary boost to, but that's probably inherent in the system.

TheLoveInterest
2007-11-07, 09:59 PM
Ohhhh... I would have to say it's between my Dex, Cha, and my Int...
A +1 to my dexterity would be nice since I have dance and karate

Yet, I reallly want to become a artist/actor of some sort and I could always use more charisma, but I already have a good 70% of people I know wraped around my finger ( I love/hate myself for this )

But I totally bomed the math portion of my test today so the Intelligence would be nice... :smallfrown:

PhallicWarrior
2007-11-07, 11:00 PM
Either Wis or Cha, I'm desperately in need of both.

Yeygresh
2007-11-08, 12:41 AM
14Str, 11Dex, 14Con, 11Int, 14Wis, 9Cha.

Seems right to me.

Deepblue706
2007-11-08, 12:48 AM
A Strength boost would be useful, sure, but I could use more help elsewhere.

Dexterity? I'm a klutz - and if anything, it only makes my life more fun.

Constitution would probably be great, but it's too boring a stat.

And, I definitely don't need a Charisma boost, because apparently, everyone loves me. Or something. Seriously, I have fan clubs.

So, I'd have to say Intelligence or Wisdom. I have a desire to someday be smart. That'd be nice.

Terraneaux
2007-11-08, 01:20 AM
CON. Healthy is good. Not that I'm not healthy, but I'd love to be healthier.

Corlis
2007-11-08, 01:21 AM
I need every scrap of SAN I can get, so Wisdom.

Knight_Of_Twilight
2007-11-08, 01:45 AM
Good god, Dex, dear lord.

Whoever rolled me up did not feel inclined to play a Rogue of some kind, let me tell you.

Khanderas
2007-11-08, 09:46 AM
I dare say choosing what to be cooler at is a bit less urgent than Sophie's Choice. Isn't that a bit like comparing a worm in your apple to the holocaust?
What is worse then a worm in the apple you just ate ?
Half a worm.

Quietus
2007-11-08, 10:33 AM
I'd bump up my wis - I'd love to see my eyes improve a bit, and for some reason I fail to hear people sometimes. I also could really put the whole "better foresight" to use, as I suspect that would help with my procrastination.

According to that test, I've got 9/12/12/15/11/16. So, after my wis boost, I'd probably bring up my charisma if at all possible - it might already be high, but I want it to be as good as I can get it.

Eldmor
2007-11-08, 10:52 AM
Intelligence, because I'm never satiated by knowledge and often get bored with things. This way I can expand it so I'm a little less "genius-ADD". Cnsidering I'm also an undergrad and plan on going graduate, Intelligence would help me a lot.
My second choice would be Dexterity, so I'm better at casting, shooting, and dodging in LARP. I could also stand to be faster.

Tekraen
2007-11-08, 01:09 PM
Dex. Ironically, I just started taking karate classes so my dex score is going to get an increase within a few weeks.

Dairun Cates
2007-11-08, 02:27 PM
16 int, 16 wis, 14 str, 10 dex, 11 con, and 13 charisma? Yeah. That seems a bit inflated on some of the numbers. The int one is a bit silly. Just because you're deciding between sticking with your MFA or getting your Doctorate does not make you a freakin' genius.

Lolzords
2007-11-08, 05:21 PM
I'd put it in str or dex, I'm smart, with common sense and charm, and decent immune system, but I'm not strong or fast.

Tequila Sunrise
2007-11-08, 05:47 PM
Charisma, by a long shot.

My strength and constitution suck, but as long as I'm a citizen of a modern 1st world country it's not an issue. I have plenty of smarts and and common sense, but I lack confidence and pazzaz. Definately charisma!

Querzis
2007-11-08, 06:09 PM
Dex. Why? Because its my dump stat and I'm tired of being pretty strong and tough but really, really clumsy. I'm pretty happy with my mental stat, probably an average int, good wis and pretty bad cha. Yes I got a pretty bad cha and I like it. Sure, you are much more popular with charisma but I woudnt like that, I prefer 2 or 3 friends I'm really close to and who like me because of my personnality then thirty people who like me for my charisma.

By the way those test suck. I got 17 str, 10 dex, 16 con, 12 int, 14 wis and 10 cha with it...even though I'm definitly in the negatives in dex and cha and even though 17 is supposed to be: «one of the best in the world». They give way too high stats. I asked my uncle to do the str question (now hes really really strong) and he got 21, even though 21 is supposed to be above human capability and isnt possible without magic...They are way too generous in those test, 10-11 is the average so the average of all your stats should be around 10-11, not around 14. Someone who would have 32 points of stat like our D&D character do would be one of the greatest human beings ever born.

Pretty much everyone in the real world would have stats in the negatives and barely any would have more then 14-15 in one stats, those test are way too generous.

SilverClawShift
2007-11-08, 06:23 PM
Assuming, for the sake of the question, that all of my stats are odd and whatever point I get to increase will produce a noteworthy result by giving me a +1 modifier?

Dexterity first. I work with my hands quite a bit, and increasing my ability to manipulate fine objects would mean a lot to me. I'd also love to be the much more limber and flexible.

Intelligence would be next priority. I'm not lacking in a forceful personality, my charisma is strong enough to get people on my side when necessary as is. More intelligence would allow me greater methods of utilizing that charisma for my own purposes.

Strength would be third priority, for no other reason than a +1 modifier in my strength score would be hella bitchin to have. All of the sudden I'm lifting things noteably heavier than before with the same effort, and god forbid i ever need to take a swing at someone to defend myself, an extra one point of damage per hit would mean something going against 1st and 2nd level commoners (most human beings in the world).

Xuincherguixe
2007-11-08, 06:34 PM
Intelligence, because that's my spell casting stat.

... Or maybe it's Charisma which is why I can't cast spells...

Galathir
2007-11-08, 06:45 PM
Intelligence of course. Charisma would be a close second.

Chronos
2007-11-08, 06:51 PM
Intelligence, even if it's even. Because I'll still want the benefit the next time I get a stat increase, and my profession (physicist) is very heavily Int-SAD.

Which still leaves me with pathetic Str and Cha, unfortunately.

tahu88810
2007-11-08, 06:56 PM
my CHA is fine. I'm semi-attractive (BAD ACNE! GO AWAY!), and I'm great at debating...
my INT is fine, I have an IQ above average...way above average. And I get good grades, provided that I try.
my WIS could use some work, but I don't really care about paying attention.
My STR is average (11, maybe)
My DEX is a little above average (12 maybe)
and my CON is a bit above average (12, maybe)

sooo...what would I put it in if my stats looked like:

STR 11
DEX 12
CON 12
INT 16
WIS 9
CHA 14

well...
I think I'd go with...WIS...that way I'd be almost perfect! HAHAHAAAA!

Holocron Coder
2007-11-08, 07:10 PM
Cha or Con, probably.

Probably Con.

As for that popular test, the Wisdom and Intelligence sections are pretty screwed up. Most of the answers are wrong, too ambiguous, or have multiple answers.

Anyway, Me:

Str- 10
Dex- 13
Con- 10
Int- 16
Wis- 15
Cha- 9

PaladinBoy
2007-11-08, 09:32 PM
Definitely CHA. I want to be a military officer; assertiveness and leadership are required.

Drider
2007-11-08, 09:43 PM
int, without a doubt. my wis is definately higher than int anyway, I'm not social enough to use cha, and i work out to improve str+con...Dex is'nt too important

commander43
2007-11-08, 10:05 PM
See, this is very difficult. Because I see myself as having a horrible Charisma, because I'm really Shy, boring looking, etc.

But some would say I have a high Cha because I'm individualistic and willful with a strong sense of self.

I'm happy with my Int and Wis, although more Int couldn't hurt. My Physical stats are terrible anyway (My dexterity's okay, but strength and con....ooh.....)

I intend to go into music, which in D&D is determined only by charisma. No amount of intelligence or dexterity can make you a better guitar player! Ugly and/or meek people can't sing well!

So, really, it comes down to whether my Charisma is high or not, and how the Perform skill works. If my charisma is crap and I need it for my musical career, I put it in there. If it's already fine or if I don't need it, I put it in intelligence.

MisterSaturnine
2007-11-08, 11:00 PM
Charisma or Dexterity. Charisma because I like debates and because unrequited love is getting really old (but I'm not bitter!) and Dexterity because it's always fun to be more acrobatic. I used to be more so, but oy, my poor knees...

Adumbration
2007-11-09, 12:25 AM
Wisdom, most likely. I lack neither intelligence nor charisma, only the wisdom how to use it.

Badgerish
2007-11-09, 07:51 AM
for my it's got to be INT or DEX.

in order:
INT for knowledge skills, craft skills (which are the core of the important jobs jobs i want to do) and skill points (for anything). oh, and languages! i have no language talent so being able to get a second language may not be that technically useful, but i would love it for personal reasons.

DEX for being less clumsy, dodging and reaction time.

then probably
WIS, for awareness and part of self-control.

CON, i'm already on the healthy side and there are things i need more (it's such a boring stat. i guess it would value it more if i had less of it )

STR, i'm already a bit above average and that's all i really need in the modern world

and finally
CHA. Alot of people have called this the most important stat etc, but you have to look at why... i wouldn't consider increasing my CHA (even if it was the only odd stat) because it shouldn't matter much.
Anytime people make a decision based on how impressive and inherently-awesome you are, and not on how well-you-actually-do-your-job, then they are making a mistake :P (IMHO of course)

Soniku
2007-11-11, 01:48 AM
Most definitely Con. I'm not too concerned about my strength, I'm great at hand-eye coordination (albeit a bit clumsy), and generally have all the signs of at least decent int and wis. As for Cha, either it's high or I have enough skill points in bluff to make up for it :smallbiggrin:

Suffering from a nasty sprained ankle for a month and a life-crippling illness for going on a year now really makes me wish I had a better immune system.

osyluth
2007-11-11, 02:22 AM
Definitely Dex. My little sister often throws stuff at me, being able to dodge would help so much. I think Con would be my lowest priority: being sick gets you out of school.

JaxGaret
2007-11-11, 02:29 AM
That's a tough one. It's definitely going to be one of the mentals or Con.

I'm going to say Cha, with Con a close second.

Uin
2007-11-11, 05:26 AM
My Stats currently if I was a bog standard Human Expert:

9str, 11dex, 12con, 12int, 11wis, 9cha

So, I'm stuggling to choose between +1 str or dex to improve my rock climing (despite what the climb skill says rock climbing is equal str and dex) or +1 cha to help with... well everything, including my career and the laydees.

Shas aia Toriia
2007-11-11, 02:56 PM
CHA, because one can do better in life with a high CHA then any other score.

PlasticSoldier
2007-11-11, 03:12 PM
I'd put it in either CHA or INT if only one is odd put it in that if both CHA or none CHA.

shadow_archmagi
2007-11-11, 04:34 PM
Int, gets you more skills and improves your ability to build stuff.

Now I shall begin work on my Artifact Spoon!