PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A fighting style for a weapon collector (inspired by Final Fantasy's Gilgamesh)

Greywander
2021-01-31, 01:30 AM
So there's this concept of a warrior traveling the lands looking for rare weapons to add to their collection. And when they fight, they don't just use one weapon, they use all of them. I got the idea from Gilgamesh from the Final Fantasy series, who, IIRC, is looking for the Excalibur, and, when called as a summon, drops four famous Final Fantasy weapons on the ground before picking up a random one to attack with.

Here's what I'm thinking for a fighting style meant to help realize this concept in a character:

Weapon Collector
You are a connoisseur of rare and powerful weapons, giving you the following benefits:

You can draw and sheathe a weapon as part of the attack you make with that weapon.
Beginning at the start of each of your turns, the first attack you make with each weapon gains a +1 bonus to the attack roll.
If you are attuned to two or more magic weapons, those magic weapons only use one attunement slot for you.

The first bullet point allows us to switch weapons for every attack, enabling a character concept that attacks using all of their weapons, rather than just their favorite one. The second bullet point gives us a mechanical incentive to switch weapons for each attack. The third bullet point enables us to collect and attune to a variety of magic weapons, while most other characters would never attune to more than one. Taken collectively, the modus operandi of this fighting style is to gather an arsenal of magic weapons and then use all of them to apply a wider variety of effects to our enemies. We can just attack with the same weapon if we want to, e.g. if fighting a dragon and we have a dragon slayer sword, but we're enabled and encouraged to mix it up.

Even without switching weapons for each attack, this fighting style works well for someone who carries a variety of weapons depending on the situation, allowing them to pull out whatever is needed at the time with no hassle.

What do you think? Too strong? Would you use it? Can it be improved?

Garfunion
2021-01-31, 06:22 AM
The first bullet looks fine to me.
However calculating a +1 on your first attack on your turn seems to be a bit annoying.
The extra attunement seems to assume that you will get a lot of magic weapons, even though magic items are not needed to play d&d.

An option which may fit what you are looking is, to make a warlock invocation that allows a pact blade to be conjured and change into whatever weapon you want for each attack. A pact blade can already be any weapon and it is treated as magical.

For example; Before you make an attack with your pact blade you may change the form of your pact weapon into another melee(or ranged if you picked up the invocation that allows it) of your choice.

Greywander
2021-01-31, 04:18 PM
However calculating a +1 on your first attack on your turn seems to be a bit annoying.
Sorry if this wasn't clear, but it's a +1 to your first attack with each weapon. So as long as you switch weapons for each attack, you get the +1 on every attack.

Something else I thought of later was the possibility of ignoring magic items restrictions on weapons (e.g. race or class restrictions), but that might be pushing this a bit too far for a fighting style.

kosh49
2021-02-02, 01:28 PM
This is a miss for me.

Frequently changing weapons mid-combat seems sub-optimal, which leads me to think such a style would be unlikely to be developed in the first place. It also seems like few people would want to learn this style even if it did exist.

Mechanically, the first point seems fine (and is necessary for the style).
While the second point is fine power wise and definitely encourages making sure every attack you make uses a different weapon, the flavor feels off. If you are switching weapons that frequently I would expect your attacks to be less accurate, not more accurate. A damage boost does not feel right either. Unfortunately, I am not sure what would feel right.
Increasing the number of attunement slots feels to powerful for a feat, even if it were only "Each attunement slot you use to attune weapons can be used to attune two different weapons simultaneously." which is weaker than what you have here. I understand why you want this, but it just feels like too much. I suppose you could do the boring (but safe) +1 to Strength or Dexterity instead of this, but I understand that does not really encourage the play style you are going for.

BerzerkerUnit
2021-02-03, 02:12 AM
I would actually break this out into an entire subclass so the fighter can also make use of multiple fighting styles.

As a style alone the Attunement effect is too much as is and a little weird even scaled down. I disagree with the above post, +1 to attacks as you force enemies to constantly shift how they defend (blocking a long sword is different than blocking a halberd).

Here’s a brain storm:
Weapon Collector archetype:

3rd you can freely swap weapons while attacking. Bonus action flourish to prevent foes from taking reactions ala marking effect.
History Expertise as you have pursued pore re legendary weapons.

7 when hit a foe with two different weapons on the same turn deal an additional d10 of either weapon’s DMG type (rending type effect).

10 recognize magical effects of weapons and spells on sight

15 weapon fusion ala FFVII advent children Cloud’s Buster Sword.

17 some kind of successive attack like omnislash