PDA

View Full Version : The Iron Tarot: Blood and Iron

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 07:18 AM
Winter had come. While the snow was beautiful, the cold was harsh, unrelenting. Ice made the road uneven, hazardous, especially for those in heavy plate. Dusk was also approaching and the darkness could mean death for an unprepared traveller, for it provided cover to a host of dangers. Fires shone in the distance, a town or village perhaps. While this was definitely the north of the Ostinian Kingdom, without a map, one could be lost quite easily. Shelter could provide warmth, food and information. However, superstitous townsfolk could prove to be as dangerous as anything found in the wilds.

dangelo
2021-01-31, 01:05 PM
Theodore, Human/Paladin 1

Strength 14
Dexterity 10
Constitution 13
Intelligence 8
Wisdom 12
Charisma 16

Fortitude: +2 +2
Reflexes: +0 +0
Will: +2 +1

HP: 11
AC: 16 (+4 mail; +2 shield)
BAB: +1

Racial traits: Medium size, speed 30 ft., Extra feat, Skilled;

Skills
Climb* 1 (+2)
Diplomacy 1 (+3)
Ride 1 (+0)
Sense Motive 2 (+1)
Jump* 1 (+2)

Feats
Endurance
Power Attack

Aura of good
Detect evil
Smite evil

Equipment:
Scale mail armor, heavy wooden shield, shortspear, longsword, shortbow, hooded lantern, three pints of oil, quiver with 20 arrows, wooden holy symbol and 24 gp.

Notes:
Scale mail reskinned to a regular chain mail);
Large wooden shield had the crest of his old lord painted over it; now it's just white.

dangelo
2021-01-31, 01:06 PM
Placeholder for notes

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 01:13 PM
Righto, your turn

dangelo
2021-01-31, 01:56 PM
A fire that can be spotted at such a distance is definitely bad. Theodore decides to leave the road and cross the fence into a wheat farm, planning to arrive without drawing too much attention.

[roll0]
-4 from the armor; no shield equipped
Holding a shortspear

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 02:05 PM
As Theodore moves closer, albeit slowly with the thick snow hampering him, shouting and screaming can be heard. It sounds human.

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 02:08 PM
Spot check

dangelo
2021-01-31, 02:40 PM
[roll0]

Theodore carefully approaches the terrifying sounds, picking up his shield as soon as possible

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 02:46 PM
A crowd is surrounding the fire, while one voice chants and another screams in agony. By getting closer, Theodore is able to see a figure inside the pyre. It seems none know of his presence.

dangelo
2021-01-31, 02:50 PM
He puts out his weapons, instead walking casualty towards the crowd. "What the hell... is that a person?"

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 02:56 PM
As he comes closer and closer, it is evident that a woman is being burned at the stake. A priest shouts over the screams. "Our Lord Irel, His Divine Grace, judges this soul to be corrupted by the demons of hell! We shall send her to meet the mercy of her fiendish allies! Make no mistake, witches are amongst us and it is only our faith that shields us from the cold dark!"
The crowd hollered and cheered, while a few noticed Theodore's approach, who then brought the attention of the village upon the paladin.

dangelo
2021-01-31, 03:14 PM
He walks through the crowd to see the burning woman. Is she still alive?
"God help us..." He mumbles, almost not bearing to look.

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 03:26 PM
"Traveller! Bear witness as evil is erased before us! What bring you to the village of Venslam?" The priest inquired, as the flames licked the woman's body. She was a tiefling, it was evident as to how she had ended up in the situation she was in.

dangelo
2021-01-31, 03:33 PM
"I look for a place to sleep in exchange for a day of work." He gestures to the crowd, but specially to the priest. "I'm a humble man."

[roll0]

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 03:38 PM
"Come now, honesty is a virtue that should be upheld! You carry armour and a sword, you are no farmhand. If you have coin, I'm sure the tavern has space, we don't often receive visitors." The priest replied. He was dressed in ornate robes, which was contrast to the peasant with dirty, ripped clothing. "I am Father Renauld, what is your name?"

dangelo
2021-01-31, 03:53 PM
"I was baptized Theorore, father." He nods, avoiding to look the priest in the eyes. Then he makes the sign of the cross. "But I tell the truth. I carry these weapons, but I work with my hands."

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 03:57 PM
"Well I cannot answer that question, I am a servant of our god, I do not command these folk. You must be weary though, would there be any among us who would buy this man a drink and food?" Renauld asked out loud, as a hand tapped Theodore on the shoulder.
It was a large, middle aged man who grunted. "Broth, cheese and bread suit ye?"

dangelo
2021-01-31, 03:59 PM
"You're very kind, sir." He says. "I won't occupy you much longer."

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 04:07 PM
He walks to the tavern without another word, opening the door and sitting on the right end of the bar. A maid lighted candles, while the bartender poured the villager an ale. The large man ordered. "The usual for the stranger, Don."
The bartender, Don replied. "Ye. Will be done in a jiffy. Greta! Kitchen. You be'in a saint Noah? And what your name? He wouldn't be payin' for ye if you were a knight. Tosh, we'd be giving it to you for free!"

dangelo
2021-01-31, 04:26 PM
"This is refreshing. Thanks." He sighs, letting his backpack rest on a nearby booth. "No, sir, 'm no knight." He says with a tired smile, his peasant accent very clear in his voice. "But I'm an honest worker nonetheless."
"How can I repay your hospitality?"

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 04:34 PM
The screams stopped, resulting in a silence from Noah and Don for a minute.
Don eventually sighed and stated to Theodore. "I hope your a good soul but there ain't one anyone 'ere who'll 'ave ya as company. People aren't warm to outsiders. I suppose if you need somewhere to get supplies to travel, you could work for me for a spell. And you definitely be on your way. Renauld, that priest out there, been whipping people up into a frenzy ever since we lost the war. Dead sons means misplaced anger. Shame about that lass. Nothing cursed about her."
Noah spoke up after drinking from his cup. "Pay me back by not causing trouble. I took responsibility for ye."

dangelo
2021-01-31, 04:47 PM
Theodore's face gets serious. "I understand." Long pause. "I'm leaving in the morning. I don't mean to cause you no harm."
He looks Don in the eyes. "Can I ask a couple of questions about this place? Small things."

dangelo
2021-01-31, 04:48 PM
Just in case you ask for it;

1d20+3

dangelo
2021-01-31, 04:49 PM
Just in case you ask for it;

1d20+3

Oops

[roll0]

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 04:53 PM
"I'll answer what I can and what won't get me or my kin hurt." Don replied, as the drab food came out on platters. The young maid, Greta placed the food down before scurrying off.

dangelo
2021-01-31, 05:24 PM
"Why this priest?" Theodore is completely honest. "Is he new? Why do you accept him?"
He can't hold back a tear. "That poor girl."

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 05:30 PM
"Do I accept him? Not my decison I'm afraid. Most of the folk wanted guidance, solace. And since he gives it to them, he's become their saviour. I've heard some dark rumours around him, but none'll listen to me. He has the power in the village." Don replied, pouring himself a drink.
Noah stated. "We ain't got no choice. If you go preaching out there, they'll stone ye to death."

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 05:31 PM
"He came awhile ago, just after the end of the war. I don't know many details 'bout him. I jus' try to stay outta his way." Don continued.

dangelo
2021-01-31, 05:39 PM
"Things aren't looking pretty, ye. I gotta say... I ran away from a war myself." He takes another sip from his ale, starting to feel a little tipsy. "I've been walking for a long time. Aren't we still in Lprd Thessen's land?"

B3ZERKER
2021-01-31, 05:45 PM
"We ain't here to judge. You musta wandered far, this ain't Lord Thessen's land. You're in Lord Arquis's. It's at least a hundred good miles to the outskirts of Thessen's territory." Don explained. "Ayy, you gonna eat that?"

dangelo
2021-01-31, 05:49 PM
Throdore taps his stomach. "Sorry. That terrible scene almost ruined my appetite." He grabs the meal with his hands and bites it. "You're a good man, Don."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-01, 03:22 PM
Don scoffs. "You know nothin' bout me. I appreciate the sentiment but be careful round 'ere."

dangelo
2021-02-01, 03:57 PM
"No." He insists. "There is kindness in the hearts of men."

[roll0]

B3ZERKER
2021-02-01, 03:59 PM
Don was a small bald man with a scraggy red beard. He looked middle aged. His hands looked they had seen some wear. Noah's beard, like the rest of him was huge. He had black hair and wood chippings covering every part of him.

dangelo
2021-02-01, 04:06 PM
"I should be on my way now." Theodore goes for his backpack. "My offer still stands, I need somewhere to stay the night. I would rather pay with work, but I should have enough coin too."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-01, 04:10 PM
"There's a room spare upstairs. I don't want any more ruckus here. And I especially don't wanna see any more strangers die, so take the room and be glad. As I said, none'll offer you shelter 'ere. Pay me back by being gone tomorrow. The city, Frenai, you musta heard of it but you seem to be fresh outta water, is only a few miles out." Don explained, chucking a key.

dangelo
2021-02-01, 04:17 PM
"I understand." He says, following Don upstairs.

What time it is? Is there still time to roll a cigar and smoke it outside? Or is it late enough that it would be weird to stay outside?

B3ZERKER
2021-02-01, 04:20 PM
It's approaching dusk. Whether you wish to go outside is up to you.

Don points at a door at the end of a corridor. "That's yours. Don't bother anyone else or I'll throw you out quicker than a maiden's wink."

dangelo
2021-02-01, 04:29 PM
"You won't even notice I'm here."

Here's Theodore plan:
1. Leave some of his stuff in the room (armor, spear, shield, backpack, adventuring gear) and go outside for a while. He thinks maybe someone will sneak inside to spy on him, so he leaves his coin purse as bait. He leaves 5 gp behind and take the rest.

2. Go out wearing a gambeson (padded armor that goes underneath the chain mail?), a buckler and a longsword - not battle-ready, but not vulnerable either. Take a look around while not drawing too much attention.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-01, 04:32 PM
The room was bare, with only a single candle and a bed. The window was barred and there was no table. Don turned around, knocking on a door near the stairs, with a softer voice than before. The reply was muffled but definitely female. Afterwards he headed downstairs.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-01, 04:35 PM
I cannot tell you whether your plans succeed or not unfortunately

B3ZERKER
2021-02-01, 04:44 PM
If you are attempting to sneak out, please make a Stealth Check :D.

dangelo
2021-02-01, 04:44 PM
Er sorry I wasn't asking that, I'm just letting you know cause I don't know what kind of roll is required and such.

dangelo
2021-02-01, 04:45 PM
Sneaking out would be suspicious. It's better to walk out casually:smallsmile:

B3ZERKER
2021-02-01, 04:47 PM
You walk out casually. Noah and Don don't say a word, drinking as you leave.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-01, 04:50 PM
No one is out in the streets, though there is candle light coming from the church.

dangelo
2021-02-01, 04:56 PM
The restless, humble man decides to walk up to the church. He keeps his head down, a simple pilgrim following his faith.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-01, 04:58 PM
Eyes peek out of windows Theodore walks past. He reaches the wooden doors of the church. The symbol of the cross is emblazoned on either side of the stone walls.

dangelo
2021-02-01, 05:42 PM
Theodore gets on his knees in front of the wooden doors and takes a couple of minutes to pray. A simple couple of sentences he has memorized ever since he was a young boy.
At the end, he looks up. Can he see the inside of the church? Can he be seen?

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 02:23 AM
Apart from the walls, there are panes of painted glass, depicting the triumphs and sacrifices of saints. (Knowledge:Religion to learn more) You can't see through the painted glass.
You kneel down to pray in the cold however no one seems to take notice.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 04:26 AM
[roll0]

If Theodore is not exposed, he will grab the third he carries around his neck - effectively a very humble holy symbol - and activate his ability to Detect Evil. It works as the spells, so it has verbal and somatic components that might draw attention.

Each round, you can turn to detect evil in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 04:43 AM
You can't sense anything from inside the church, however with the doors closed, it's possible the building itself is blocking the spell. There was an evil presence in the town recently. You couldn't recall any information from the painted glass. Cold winds brush past you as you pray.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 04:54 AM
A few villagers step out of their homes and begin to approach you. One points and yells. "Whatta u doin'? Our church, not yours, so get gone with ye."

dangelo
2021-02-02, 05:36 AM
Theodore is taken by surprise by the villagers' menacing tone, which is clear in his voice. "I don't mean to disrespect. God knows you have been suffering enough without another outsider."

Then he waits for their reaction, hoping to squeeze some information about this evil presence without getting himself staked and burned alive.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 05:44 AM
"What are ye doin' stalking around town? Either way, we don't want more strangers 'ere, so make ur prayers and go." The other villagers hollered in agreement, however didn't seem intent on violence.

The doors opened and Father Renauld asked calmly as he saw Theodore. "Please, friends, let us not interrupt one who seeks guidance with the Lord. Now how may I help you.. My apologies, I don't believe I know your name."

Renauld possessed an evil aura, though none of the Detect spells were always effective and alignments weren't a surefire way of judging one's character.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 06:04 AM
"I'm Theodore. Father Bastian gave me that name... but I come from far away, so I don't expect anyone here to know his name."

Although he wasn't sure about that priest, he made Theodore uncomfortable, unnerved.
"Father Renauld, you're too kind, but I don't wanna make it worse around here. Maybe I should just go. Don't mean to cause no trouble, that I don't."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 06:08 AM
"This temple is always open to those who wish to pray, my child. However, it is late in the day, perhaps you should come back tomorrow?" Renauld asked, smiling eerily.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 06:19 AM
Theodore looks worried;
"That would be nice, father. But I think I might have to be on my way as soon as the sun rises. Any advice you can give me about these parts?"

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 06:38 AM
"Stick to the road and you'll find your way to the city. It's a safe journey, Lord Arquis is very heavyhanded on bandits in his lands, as he should. Should you need supplies, I will gladly give them out of charity." Renauld answered.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 07:30 AM
"I shall find my way, then. Again, I'm grateful, father. Good man Don gave me something to eat and to drink, this should be more than enough supplies."
Theodore waits to be dismissed.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 07:32 AM
"Very well." Renauld closes the doors as the villagers disperse, though a few still stared and scowled.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 07:38 AM
The outsider keeps his head down and makes his way to Don's tavern without a word.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 07:41 AM
As he reached Don's tavern, Greta, the redheaded barmaid was eating alongside a white haired girl Theodore hadn't seen before. The smell of soup drifted in the air. Greta appeared to be feeding the other girl and as Theodore looked upon her face, he could see that she was blind.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 07:48 AM
Don, who was cleaning down the bar, asked as Theodore came in, pointing a finger. "I heard you going out. What part of stay low and be gone in the morning don't you understand?"
The white haired girl looked in the paladin's direction, her milky eyes appearing like the irises had been shattered like glass.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 07:56 AM
"I just went to the house of god. I needed to pray." Theodore tries to sound as soothing as possible. "Nothing happened, I promise."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 08:05 AM
Don was about to say something before the girl tugged on his shirt and stated. "Stop being so afraid! We'll be fine. What's your name mister."
The bartender's expression seemed to soften.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 08:13 AM
Theodore hesitates, glancing at Don as if asking for permission. "I'm... Theodore, good girl." He says, not sure if he was supposed to know that she exists.
He tries not to ask much this time.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 08:17 AM
"I'm Anna! You have a different accent to everyone else, you must of come from far away! Tell me, have you ever been to a city?! What was it like?"
Greta smiled and ate some of her own soup, while Don shook his head and went back behind the bar.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 08:52 AM
"Why don't I tell you in the morning? I have been traveling so much that I'm barely awake right now." Theodore immediately tries to get away from that situation.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 08:56 AM
Anna sighed. "You're going at dawn, don't tell me porkies mister, I-"
"I think it's time for bed, c'mon you, I'll tuck you in." Greta interjected, seeming to want to get away from the situation as much as Theodore was.
"But-"
"That's a good idea, everyone should get to bed." Don took over, lifting Anna up and walking up the stairs.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 09:18 AM
Theodore finds his room, wondering if it would be wise to just stay awake all night. He looks around for any indicative that someone could have been there.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 09:20 AM
Spot Check

dangelo
2021-02-02, 09:22 AM
[roll0]
Wisdom 12 (+1)

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 09:25 AM
Nothing appears to have changed.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 09:31 AM
Theodore will pretend to go to sleep, but will stay awake under the sheets. He hides his knife under the pillow.
(Checking the rules - Iirc I'm gonna be fatigued tomorrow?)

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 09:31 AM
Yes you will be fatigued if you don't sleep.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 09:37 AM
Just a wild suggestion, no worries if you don't like it: what if I took nonlethal damage like in a forced march instead of being fatigued? This way my endurance feat would make a difference

Still, fatigued or not, Theodore will stay awake

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 09:46 AM
Sorry even if you have Endurance, you still need to sleep. Every living creature does.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 09:48 AM
With Endurance you can sleep with armour on, endure elements and march for long periods of time

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 09:49 AM
You are staying awake during the night? Just need to confirm.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 09:52 AM
Yeah staying awake!

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 09:55 AM
During the night, there is some murmuring from Anna's room. Nothing else happens however. Dawn approaches. Theodore is tired, eyes drooping. (Fatigued.)

dangelo
2021-02-02, 10:10 AM
For the most part, Theodore follows Don's instructions. When the sun starts to shine, he puts on his armor and hits the road. That place was terrifying and those people needed help; still, he could only help them if he was alive.

He wants to be seen leaving the village without ceremony.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 10:16 AM
As Theodore opened the door of the room, there was a bag with a badly scrawled note laying on the floor. It read. "I hope you'll be happy soon, mister! I left some snacks for you. Tell me about the city next time!"

dangelo
2021-02-02, 10:25 AM
With a painful smile he stores the bag inside his backpack without checking what's inside. If nothing else stops him, Theodore will travel for about half an hour before ditching the road and finding somewhere to hide and make plans before coming back.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 10:28 AM
It's full of bread and cheese, with three strips of cured meat. Theodore travels for half an hour, no one is in sight or stops him. The entrance of a forest is before him.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 11:00 AM
The smell of the pine woods helps Theodore to calm down and think. First, he decides to find a tree that he can climb and hide - maybe even sleep. Preferably at an angle where he can see the road, but not if it's too exposed.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 11:05 AM
Climb Check

dangelo
2021-02-02, 11:14 AM
[roll0]
Strength 14 (+1), Climb 2

dangelo
2021-02-02, 11:14 AM
Sorry, that's +2 not +3

dangelo
2021-02-02, 11:16 AM
Can I choose 20 in this? Theodore is willing to spend time on it

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 11:16 AM
Success, you clamber up the tree and find a perch.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 11:19 AM
Dont worry wasnt a hard check

dangelo
2021-02-02, 11:19 AM
I wanna watch the road for a few hours, then go to sleep my 8 hours (still on that tree) and wake up near dusk.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 11:27 AM
Spot check

dangelo
2021-02-02, 11:32 AM
[roll0]
Spot check

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 11:34 AM
No one goes by, however your eyes droop and you yawn often, it takes some willpower to stay awake. Sleep felt heavenly to Theodore as he rested till dusk.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 11:36 AM
"Thank god the road was quiet." He mumbles to himself. Theodore sits up straight on that branch and eats some of the packed snacks. It makes him think of that poor blind girl.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 11:37 AM
Theodore will go back to the village. Is it possible to approach by crossing farm fields instead of taking the road?

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 11:39 AM
Yes. There might be farmers finishing up for the day, working their crops. Though technically it's their lord's land, trampling on their farm might cause them to be irritated.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 11:43 AM
Being half an hour away from the village, Theodore decides to go trampling on their farm. Hopefully it's enough time for the night to fall and the farmers leave the fields.

He wants to find a vintage point from where he can spy on the village, or even the church. If that's not possible, he'll try to spy on regular peasants who live closer to the fields.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 11:47 AM
As night approaches all the farmers appear to be gone. He can spy on either the village or church. Make a stealth check.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 11:54 AM
He's gonna start with the church. Preferably he would stay 120+ feet away from it - he fears the priest.

[roll0]
Armor check penalty: -4

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 11:57 AM
As Theodore steps closer to the church, he spots the barmaid, Greta going through it's doors. Listen check if he wants to hear anything going on inside the building from that distance.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 12:15 PM
[roll0]
Wisdom 12

dangelo
2021-02-02, 12:17 PM
Damn. Is there like a town square around the church or can I get even closer without exposing myself? Another Move Silently check?

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 12:22 PM
You hear from inside the church.
"Greta! How are you child?"
"I am well Father..."
"Good, have you come to... confess your sins?"
"..Yes.."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 12:23 PM
Unfortunately, the only entrance is through the front doors. The doors are open however. Move Silently check if you wish to move inside.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 12:34 PM
Shoot. That was bad. Going in would be too risky... but Theodore had already lost a full day. Theodore takes a full minute to remove his armor, then he stashes it among the bushes, hoping to be able to retrieve it soon.

[roll0]

dangelo
2021-02-02, 12:35 PM
Finally a good roll!!

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 12:41 PM
You manage to enter the church. Greta and Renauld are nowhere to be seen, however the door to the backrooms is open, unlikely given the cold. The church itself is spotless.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 12:45 PM
He dares to step forward again, trying to pick up any sounds before sneaking by the door.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 12:56 PM
There are no sounds. As Theodore reachs the door, he can see a hatch which presumably leads to a basement. There are tomes and crude, metal devices which appear to be used to gather confessions.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 01:03 PM
Theodore tests the doors. If they can be closed and locked from the inside without making a lot of noise, that's what he is going to do.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 01:17 PM
They can be opened with ease. There is a bar on the other side. In the hatch itself, it's not just composed of wood, it also has a layer of thick wool. It seems to be soundproofed.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 01:23 PM
Theodore will approach carefully the hatch, trying to pick up any movement in the darkness with his ears.

[roll0]

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 01:31 PM
"Now then, we can be done with the pretenses."
"I..I.."
"Don't worry, this time I don't want cheap sex from a whore like you. Tell me about the girl, Anna."
"That wasn't part-"
There was a smacking sound and then whimpering.
"Part of what? The deal was I keep that witch alive for the pleasure of your company. My patience has grown thin however. And after speaking with some of the villagers, I've found out some very interesting information. So I'll ask again, what do you know about her? You know I have the means to make you talk and I have no issue burying your body in the snow afterwards. So, impress me."

dangelo
2021-02-02, 01:51 PM
Theodore fights the urge to run away and find Don. Instead, though, he fears for Greta and decides to stick around and try to find out more. Do they keep talking?

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 02:00 PM
"What do you want to know? She's a child-"
"Spare me your lies, wench!" Another smacking sound came from the basement.
Between the sobbing, the voice that belonged to Renauld inquired.
"Eyes of glass. Almost precognitive instinct. If I'm right, the clergy would make me a bishop, nay a cardinal!
What else can she do?"
"She..she can read people's minds. I think."
"YES! I was right! Good, good Greta. I would kill you but.. it seems to be far more fun to leave you alive, as
those that you trust realise you betrayed them so cruelly. Why don't you have a cry about it, you worthless trash as I go find your little friend?"

dangelo
2021-02-02, 02:06 PM
Theodore's heart rushes. He had to do something fast.
He tries to leave the church immediately. He could take the child and run away, though Don and Greta would suffer the consequences. He could take Don too and come back to save Greta, but only assuming she would still be alive and well. There was just no time.

Can Theodore run to the tavern before the Priest spot him?

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 02:09 PM
Yes Theodore can run to the tavern, but he would definitely attract the attention of the villagers.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 02:13 PM
Running it is. As long as the priest leaves the church without noticing him, Theodore is willing to make that run in the middle of the night. He doesn't retrieve his armor.

He goes straight to where he thinks is the girl's room, or Don's room if that's closer.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 02:16 PM
Don was sitting behind the bar, though was instantly up on his feet as Theodore barges in. "Hey!!" He shouts as the paladin charges up the stairs. "Don't you touch a hair on her head, you bastard! After we helped you! I'll bleed you like a pig you hear me!?" His tone was filled with panic as he ran up the stairs after Theodore.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 02:20 PM
Theodore stops momentarily, grabbing Don by his arms. His hands shaking, he says just these words. "He's comming for her"
"You must take her and leave now! I'll stay here and confront him."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 02:24 PM
Don seemed shrewd enough to know what was going on, as he opened the door and carried Anna in both arms, hurrying out the backdoor.
A few seconds passed as Renauld entered the house, with multiple villagers wielding farm tools and a few spears.
"He has come back to save the witch! He is an agent of hell itself! I only barely managed to fend off his attempt on my life as he came into my church!" Renauld cried.
Theodore could see a glint of a smirk on the priest's face.
There was a scream outside, though it didn't look like the paladin was going anywhere.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 02:30 PM
"How was I so stupid? There was no witch! You were lying to these people!" Theodore lets out, speaking up for the first time in front of those villagers. "I thought you were a servant of God, Renauld."

Without taking his eyes off the priest, he tries to figure out if the villagers have blocked the backdoor too.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 02:40 PM
"Lies, weaved to save himself. I trusted him, tried to offer my charity. Look at how he spits back at us, like the devil's serpent." Renauld spat.

"What's this about."
Noah's voice came out like thunder, as the other villagers parted ways to let his huge frame enter the room.
He seemed to command far more respect than Renauld did from his fellows. Multiple scars layered his arms
and he cracked his knuckles while his eyes scoured his surroundings.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 02:54 PM
"This is a terrible truth. Where is Greta?" Theodore points a finger at the priest. "She was supposed to he here, wasn't she? Do you have any clues, Father?"

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 03:06 PM
"I will not listen to your drivel any longer. We shall do away with this fiend and then try his mistress for witchcraft!" Renauld shouted.
"Who is the witch?" Noah asked with a cold tone.
"Don's little secret, Anna." Renauld stated.
"I see."
Noah stepped forwards, his muscles tensing as he raised his fists.
Suddenly, he spun and smashed his right fist into Renauld's jaw. Theodore was sure
the blow had broken the bones in Renauld's face, as blood poured onto the floor.
"Arghh urgghhh..." The priest began sobbing and looked up in fear.

"Going after a child? I'll beat you like a drum, you coward. Anyone with him?" Noah inquired.
The silence told him all he needed to know.

"Pla-plea-"

"Hmm no."

dangelo
2021-02-02, 03:17 PM
Theodore is as surprised as the villagers and struggle to form a sentence.
"I-uh..." He tries not to look at the priest. "I told Don to run. And Greta..."
Fearing that Noah might end up killing the priest, Theodore avoids saying more about Greta.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 03:23 PM
Noah picked Renauld up and slammed him into a table, throwing him across the room with a roar.
The priest gasped through broken ribs. "Ur-ur ruined.."
"You really dunno when to shut up do ya?"
"No-no-"
"If I let you live, you'll bring hell to this village."
"I-I-waiit!"
Noah looked like he was about to snap Renauld's neck.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 03:29 PM
"Wait, he must know more! He is hiding something, let him tell us!" Theodore desperately shouts, personally trying to avoid more blood. "One person have died already, we don't need more..."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 03:38 PM
"This ain't your business. To damnation with his secrets, he can keep 'em. He tried to hurt me and mine.
Did any o' you say no or question goin' afta Anna? Ayy!!" Noah grunted, as a few villagers gulped and shifted their feet.
A few stepped forwards, as one farmer replied. "We gon' make some mistakes Noah, be true. That woman just scared the living spirit outta us. Now we know our sin.. Faith don gon blind us to being good folk and I know that ain't gonna bring anyone back. We're damn sorry bout coming in 'ere like this."

"Least you canna do is dig a grave, the name was Sethea. And she was a honest to good soul. Now get out!!" Noah shouted, as the villagers left the bar.
Don came back in with Anna, the latter was crying and shaking her head. He quickly went behind the bar to make some juice of some kind, slipped a powder in and gave it to her to drink.
Anna quickly fell unconcious after that.
He carried her back up to her room without a word.

"Stranger." Noah stated. "If you don't want this filth dead, then tell me how to make sure this village doesn't burn when the clergy comes."

dangelo
2021-02-02, 03:57 PM
"Killing him would make things worse. They will call you sinners for killing him." Theodore insists. "If they hear us out first, they will execute him themselves and you will be spared."

Between then and then, he could do something to release the priest and take him somewhere else... the church's justice wasn't always fair after all

"Besides... I'm afraid he might have done something to poor Greta. He might as well be a fairy or a trickster." His superstitions also very clear.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 04:02 PM
"No. If you want him to live, you take him far away from this village. If you won't I'll kill him right here, right now." Noah stated. "Where is Greta?"

dangelo
2021-02-02, 04:10 PM
"I last saw her at the church." He says. "He was intimidating her."
"I promise I will give him what he deserves. Thanks for letting me do this."
Theodore scratches his head. He had to check on her, too.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 04:12 PM
Noah walks off to the church, leaving a bloody and battered Renauld at Theodore's feet.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 04:28 PM
Theodore is afraid that Noah might get angry at Greta if he finds out that she betrayed the village.

May I roll sense motive? Depending on what Theodore picks up he might give up on the priest to protect Greta.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 04:28 PM
Yeah you can roll sense motive :D

dangelo
2021-02-02, 04:37 PM
[roll0]

My highest bonus :smallbiggrin:

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 04:40 PM
Noah does not appear to be intent on harming Greta, they have likely been living in the same village for a long time.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 04:49 PM
Theodore tries to get rid of his insecurities, Greta would be fine; he has a bigger problem in his hands at the moment.
He gives Don a confident look before grabbing the priest by his clothes and dragging him out of there. First stop is the bush where he stashed his mail.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 04:51 PM
As Theodore walks to the bush with Renauld in tow, he can see Noah walking with Greta, who is uncontrollably sobbing as snot runs out from her nose. Theodore reaches the bush.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 04:56 PM
He stalls for a bit, giving a worried look at the villagers. "So much trouble, you sick..." He mumbles to Renault. Is the armor there?

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 04:57 PM
Yes, Theodore's armour lays there, untouched.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 04:59 PM
Didn't expected to be stolen but wanted to check (:
I wanna take Renault to a quiet place somewhere nearby. Some place isolated from the village in the snowy woods. He remains silent the whole way, wondering about what he would do with this man.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 05:04 PM
Renauld is unconcious during the journey. You find a obscured covering in the forest nearby.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 05:09 PM
Theodore lays the man on the ground and takes a breather. He sits down, drinks some water and eats the last bite from the girl's gift.
He can't do much for the priest's state, so he patiently waits for he to wake up. Until there, he sits back.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 05:11 PM
Renauld eventually wakes up, spitting out blood. He stares at Theodore with hatred in his eyes, however his jaw was broken in several places, leaving him unable to talk properly. Not that he wished to engage in conversation.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 05:22 PM
"What should I do with you?" He asks the priest, completely aware that he was actually talking to himself. "What?"

"I was supposed to do the right thing." Theodore gestures emphasizing his devotion. "I did the right thing. And now, what do I get?"

"Why, God, have you made me a prisoner? I must kill you, yet I must not. You are the wrong in the world." Theodore get angrier in his rant.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 05:24 PM
Renauld wouldn't say a word, only glaring. There was no reply from any god or anyone else for that matter.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 05:42 PM
"I don't know what to do." He stands up and draws his sword. "So I shall trust and praise the Lord. He gave me the power to kill, but not the power to save. What else can I do? What else?"
Theodore's voice gets louder and tears wash his face.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 05:47 PM
Theodore hears the beating of hooves on the ground. It's close. Renauld looks up, putting his hands up, sputtering.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 05:58 PM
"U-U- spa-re mee."

dangelo
2021-02-02, 06:39 PM

dangelo
2021-02-02, 06:40 PM
I really don't know why that happened, gonna rewrite my post

dangelo
2021-02-02, 06:42 PM
Theodore halts, putting his sword away but still holding onto it.
A rider...? He decides to wait and listen carefully to what is going on.

dangelo
2021-02-02, 06:42 PM
[roll0]
They're both the same modifier

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 07:23 PM
Listen check

B3ZERKER
2021-02-02, 07:27 PM
While Theodore couldn't hear anything specific or any speech, it was apparent that a large host of riders of some description was heading their way. By the rattling of metal during the galloping, it was likely they were wearing plate and the mounts had barding

dangelo
2021-02-03, 09:06 AM
Theodore holds his position, staying by the priest so whoever approaches would not be able to take him away. His sword still in hand.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 09:35 AM
Theodore could hear the voices of several men as they dismounted.
"Why have we stopped, Gale? Commander, we still have many leagues to travel to reach the holy city. I and the sisters require rest."
"Someone has dragged something heavy all the way into the bushes your Grace, it won't take a moment."
Another heavier, cold voice pitched in.
"This close to the village.. and there's blood. It's worth investigating. Two men with me and Gale."

They began getting closer.

dangelo
2021-02-03, 10:43 AM
Theodore smiles. God. It was god.
Without saying another word, he picks up his stuff as fast as possible, leaving his empity bag of snacks behind.

Running (x3 since I'm wearing armor? Or can I go 4x with medium armor) in the opposite direction.

dangelo
2021-02-03, 10:44 AM
*also leaving the priest of course!

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 10:48 AM
As Theodore ran, shouting came from the men approaching. Knights on horses came galloping in his direction. There was no chance he could outrun them.

dangelo
2021-02-03, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry, weren't the men investigating his trail? Haven't them found the priest? I intended to use it to have a headstart.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 10:55 AM
They saw Theodore run away from a dead body. Of a priest. With a trail of blood in the snow.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 11:14 AM
You do have a headstart but you're not mounted.

dangelo
2021-02-03, 11:17 AM
That is my bad, but the way I read it it looked like they couldn't see us. It was only voices, I thought I would be able to run before they actually saw me. Move silently instead?

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 11:19 AM
They didn't see you in the clearing to begin with but as soon as you started running. I'm sorry i wasnt clear

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 11:20 AM
Yes you can roll Move Silently, however you can roll Knowledge: Local to potentially find out more about these men.

dangelo
2021-02-03, 11:27 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 11:32 AM
By the glint of their steel plate and the sigil on their right shoulder, Theodore could tell they were crusaders, though he had no clue about which order. As he turned to sneak away, Renauld caught his leg and he fell over, just as the knights found them.

dangelo
2021-02-03, 12:03 PM
Theodore doesn't try to get up, letting go of his sword and raising his hands in the air.
Just to be clear, I didn't intent to leave the village area, we should be a lot closer than Theodore's former hideout.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 12:22 PM
As Theodore looks up, four figures stood before him, one was middle aged, with a black beard. He wore leather and chainmail, carrying a longsword and a bow. Another was tall, with heavy, reinforced mastercrafted plate armour. The gleam it carried seemed to suggest it was maybe even magicked. That knight was in the center of the group and appeared to be their leader. He inquired hastily and simply. "Explain."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 01:57 PM
The archer seems to notice the bruises on Renauld's body, however was surprised when he saw Theodore's hands and that there was no blood on his sword, not even the hilt.

dangelo
2021-02-03, 04:23 PM
"We came from the village. The locals were going to slay him. I saved his life." Theodore desperately explains. "I am a man of faith, please, you have to believe me."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 04:38 PM
The archer noted. "Now why would the people of Venslam kill their own priest? There's no marks on you... meaning they let you get away."
His commander motioned for Theodore to continue.

dangelo
2021-02-03, 05:20 PM
Theodore gestures towards his backpack. "I was just passing by... you can check with the villagers- but don't bring him there or they will kill him!"

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 05:38 PM
"Right. We can't his Grace waiting. Gale, I'll leave some men with you. The rest of us will go to the village to collaborate this man's story. What's your name?" The commander asked.
(By the way, what does Theodore look like? What's his age?)

dangelo
2021-02-03, 06:25 PM
Theodore is 30 years old, black hair and beard and heavy-built; He mainly expresses his charisma through empathy and honesty.
"I'm Theodore. I was a soldier, but I made a vow. I was... trying to help."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-03, 06:54 PM
"Well.. we'll find out won't we? Come along." The commander stated, in a tone that brooked no argument.

dangelo
2021-02-03, 07:13 PM
"Can I take my belongings?" He asks. "I have a knife with me, if you wanna take it too."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-04, 06:44 AM
"We're not thieves. Keep what you have."

dangelo
2021-02-04, 07:25 AM
Theodore moves towards the priest, as of offering himself to keep carrying him. Otherwise he will follow the crusaders as instructed, making a quiet prayer.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-04, 07:36 AM
"You said yourself the villagers will kill that priest. Leave him here, my men will keep watch." The commander ordered, as they made their way to the town. An old man dressed in white, golden robes accompanied by two women in black and white dresses, approached on horseback. He asked. "What has transpired here? A priest beaten by his flock? Madness!"

dangelo
2021-02-04, 10:19 AM
"I felt the same way right away. I'm still not sure." He tags along the warriors. "A woman was burned yesterday. I don't know why he would do this, but that priest is not a man of faith. He works against His will."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-04, 10:26 AM
"We'll know soon enough." The commander stated as they reached the village. The inhabitants came out and bowed, some pointing at Theodore.

dangelo
2021-02-04, 04:59 PM
Theodore isn't sure about how much he's allowed to talk, so he just says "I'm sorry, people or Venslam, but I need your help again..." he gestures towards the warriors. "These honored men are intrigued about what happened here..."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-04, 05:14 PM
Noah's figure emerges through the crowd, bowing alongside the other villagers at the sight of the knights. He stated plainly. "The priest, Renauld, has raped a young woman in this village. When we found out, he tried to run and lie to the folk 'ere. In addition, he has taken advantage of the loss we have suffered after the war with the Viridian Empire. I take full responsbility and ask to receive any punishment that these people would otherwise receive."

The commander, took off his helmet, revealing a blonde, handsome, young face. He replied. "Your story coincides with this Theodore's. Your Grace, what shall we do with this Renauld?"

A few hushed whispers went through the crowd, as the word archdeacon was thrown around.

The old man stated. "Send some of your men Commander to escort Renauld to Frenai. There, he will be interrogated and likely, executed. To think such filth infiltrated our ranks."

"Yes your Grace."

One of the knights rode off, back to the disgraced priest's location.

dangelo
2021-02-05, 10:02 AM
Your grace? Was he crazy or that knight had just called the other one his "grace"?
Theodore follows the rider. "I'm sorry, sir-" He tries to keep the conversation low, following him away from the others. "I fear that Renault might know something we don't... is it really the only way? To be completely honest, when you found me I was trying to figure out a way to keep him alive. I don't know. I just don't want more people to die around here, sir, I'm sorry."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-05, 11:06 AM
"I understand your intentions, however, the law is the law. It is immutable. His offences, which are now backed up by an entire village worth of witnesses, are punishable by death. If you wish for another sentence to be carried out instead, you will have to appeal at his trial. As for any information, the church's holy inquisition can pull any secrets through their thorough methods." The commander announced. He turned to the old man in the ornate robes. "Archdeacon, there is a tavern or the church, the latter of which I suspect might be filled with foul spirits however. It will likely need to be consecrated once more."

dangelo
2021-02-05, 01:01 PM
Although Theodore prepares to leave, he stalls a bit looking for an opportunity to be useful to the knights and maybe stay on their good side. If they don't seem to expect anything from Theodore, he'll just hit the road, avoiding to look the villagers in the eyes.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-05, 01:25 PM
"I do apologise, Theodore I believe, for the chase we gave earlier. We had no idea of the situation at hand and well, the evidence that we had wasn't immediately in your favour. If it's possible, I would like to discuss further what has transpired here. We would be willing to pay you for your time as well." The commander extends a hand. "My name is Commander Kendal."

dangelo
2021-02-05, 02:53 PM
Theodore is taken by surprise, expecting to be shoved off by them. "Commander, absolutely, I understand it was a delicate situation, you acted with all the cautious needed."
"But commander Kendal, what could a pilgrim like me help your cause? I just try to do what's right, sir, and I'm certainly not as capable as your men in the battlefield."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-05, 03:04 PM
"Battle? The war's over. What I'm asking for is a more detailed report on what has transpired. Also, from the looks of you, pilgrims don't carry longswords." Kendal continued. "Where do you hail from?"

dangelo
2021-02-05, 07:24 PM
"That I can give you." He nods.
"I was a soldier in my precious life. Fought under Sir Bradley's command for House Thessen." Theodore points vaguely to the horizon. "Been walking for a while now."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-06, 11:54 AM
"I see. Well, let's discuss this in the village's tavern. I certainly could use a drink. This big fellow here should join us." Kendal replied.

dangelo
2021-02-06, 07:44 PM
"This tavern is run by fine people. It will be my pleasure."
Theodore tags along. Well, back to Venslam. This time he actually looks people in the eyes and waves slightly.

(Sorry, today was crazy!)

B3ZERKER
2021-02-07, 10:58 AM
As they arrived at the tavern, Theodore could see Don cleaning up and reparing what he could of the damages Noah had inflicted when he had thrown Renauld around the bar. However, Don didn't say a word to Noah about it.
His attention was firmly on Commander Kendal, which he immediately pulled up a seat for. He asked with a bow. "How might I be of service to you lord?"
Kendal replied, as he set his helmet onto a table. "Beer if you would." He set four gold coins on the table, a ludicrous price for the alcohol.
"Now" He continued. "How did this all come about?"

dangelo
2021-02-07, 07:04 PM
Theodore picks up a chair, discreetly greeting Don. "I came here last night. Fortunately this is home of good people, and Renauld was taking advantage of them."
"I followed him into the church. Heard him saying terrible things to Greta." He explains. "In the end I realized he was going to make another victim. An innocent little child."
"After that all I did was get the girl out of here."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-07, 07:19 PM
"I see. I must ask you to desist from discussing this to anyone outside the village. All the evidence appears to be on your side but there are members of the clergy that would see your actions as traitorous, even given the circumstances. They seeketh not to serve God Irel but to rule through his power. Luckily, Archdeacon Encelle, the priest I am escorting, is not of that nature. I will need further detail on this however. What was his motivations for going specifically after this girl? Why come to the tavern instead of requesting her presence to the church?" Kendal asked.

dangelo
2021-02-08, 07:32 AM
"The girl was... special." Theodore mesures his words. "I thougth he was planning to burn her like a witch... But now I'm not so sure. Maybe he wanted to kidnap her. Renauld bragged about his plans to become a bishop." He carefully leaves tha "cardinal" part out of it.

B3ZERKER
2021-02-08, 08:32 AM
"Then I believe I will need to meet this child, where is she?" Kendal inquired.
Don sighed and stood up, stating. "No matta who ye are, I won't let anyone hurt my charge while I-"
"Relax. I'm here to help. And to help, I have to understand the situation at hand."
"Well, umm.. not a canny lie, she's sleeping. And... no bloody soul should wake her up.
No threat, just facts 'ere."
"Then we'll wait until she awakens. Could I request some rooms for myself and the Archdeacon?"
As if by magic, the elderly man walked into the room, with the two sisters beside him.
"Ahh! Somewhere to sit. My behind has been tortured by this trip! Thank you bartender and you,
fervent believer, for hosting us."

dangelo
2021-02-09, 08:33 PM
"I'm sure you have places to be soon enough. I am at your disposal if you need anything." He tells the warriors. "Don, can I help you with this place?"

B3ZERKER
2021-02-11, 06:40 PM
"Yeah, if you wouldn't mind, I've gotta chuck the broken furniture out and clean up. Say, where you going after this Theodore? Bagh, not my place to ask you that, nevermind." Don replied, as he went around the bar, steadfast in his work.
Kendal and the Archdeacon sat down as Gretel made an appearance, serving them food and drink.
She whispered to Theodore. "Do you want anythin'?"

dangelo
2021-02-12, 01:49 PM
"I'm not hungy, to be honest." Theodore hurries to pick up the mess and help Don how he can. "But I guess I'm staying another night. This one, I'll pay."

B3ZERKER
2021-02-13, 02:47 PM
"Nah, you helped me and Anna. You can stay without payin'. Besides you're helping me out here." Don smiled.

dangelo
2021-02-13, 03:18 PM
Theodore doesn't have anything else to say at the moment, anything more to do in this scene?

B3ZERKER
2021-02-13, 03:58 PM
If there's nothing else you want to do, Kendal and the priest rent out the best rooms in the house and everyone eventually goes to sleep, ready for the next day. Theodore will be exhausted if he does not sleep

dangelo
2021-02-13, 04:47 PM
He already slept after that night :smallsmile:
But he's gonna sleep alright!

B3ZERKER
2021-02-13, 05:41 PM
In the morning, there's a knock on Theodore's door.
It's fairly early, just after dawn.

dangelo
2021-02-16, 12:11 PM
Still half asleep, Theodore limps to the door and asks before opening it. "Need help?"

(really sorry for the 3-days delay!)

B3ZERKER
2021-02-16, 05:29 PM
"I was wondering if you did mister! You seem confused on where to go.. so I wanna help!" Anna asked, whilst keeping a hand on the wall to keep her balance.

dangelo
2021-02-18, 04:40 PM
"Oh- Hello, kid." He stutters. "I guess so, yeah. You said you wanna... help?"

B3ZERKER
2021-02-24, 06:27 PM
"Well you seem confused. About where to go. And maybe... about what you believe in. I'm a great listener and I'm also awesome at keeping secrets!" Anna propped herself on a side of the bed and patted the other side, trying to give off the impression of a counselor.