PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Statting Out A Factory?

Destro2119
2021-01-31, 02:31 PM
So I was recently talking with some friends about the logistics of mass-production in a game world, and we tried to use d20 modern as a base, but it could possibly be extrapolated to DnD 3.X as well.

So, RAW, the crafting speed for anything in a d20 system is usually incredibly slow, like weeks for a sword or something of that complexity. Obviously, modern (or even 1910s) industrial manufacturing techniques allow items to be made far quicker, but we have nothing specific to go on.

Personally, I think it should require a whole new set of rules separate from the baseline craft rules, but the specifics of such a thing elude me. Thus, I am asking this thread for advice on how to stat such a thing.

I am asking this question to garner potential plot points and maybe have a factory managing segment in a game.

2021-01-31, 03:46 PM
So I was recently talking with some friends about the logistics of mass-production in a game world, and we tried to use d20 modern as a base, but it could possibly be extrapolated to DnD 3.X as well.

So, RAW, the crafting speed for anything in a d20 system is usually incredibly slow, like weeks for a sword or something of that complexity. Obviously, modern (or even 1910s) industrial manufacturing techniques allow items to be made far quicker, but we have nothing specific to go on.

Personally, I think it should require a whole new set of rules separate from the baseline craft rules, but the specifics of such a thing elude me. Thus, I am asking this thread for advice on how to stat such a thing.

I am asking this question to garner potential plot points and maybe have a factory managing segment in a game.

A factory-style set-up isn't difficult for 3.5 even for normal crafting. There's an expansion to the Aid Another rules in Complete Adventurer, where more skilled aiders can give bigger bonuses, and aid another doesn't have a limit on how many people can aid by default, which can totally make sense if it's on a factory line kinda setup. If this is a 3.P setup, we can improve it further with some PF stuff: not only can we take options that improve the Aid Another bonus further, and more classes will give a half-level bonus to Craft checks, but we can use Unchained Craft (probably via Phantom Thief rogue to get the benefits early) to craft even faster than normal. Combine that with Accelerated crafting for +10 per step, and you can get some pretty absurd speed.

EDIT: Like, even just basic Aid Another can still get a lot of work done that way. 1000 commoners with Int 10/Craft 4 ranks/Skill Focus/Masterwork tools...that's a +9 right there, enough to auto-succeed on the Aid Another. That's +2009 for the actual craft check, and DC 1998 for crafting full plate super-super-super-quick. That's 223 sets of full plate per week coming out of your factory. Of course, that's 8 hours per day, so it's making right around 4 sets per hour.

Bugbear
2021-01-31, 04:57 PM
Well, lots of ways to do this:

1.Unseen Factory. Take a building an fill it with the Invisible Helper Wondrous Architecture Stronghold Space. This gives you a permanent unseen servant worker in each space. The unseen servant has limits on what it can do, but it can do all sorts of manual labor. It's easy enough to add a common worker to each space too.

2.Construct Factory. There are tons of simple constructs. Homuncului, effigys, Clockwork types and more. Intelligent Effigies will get skills and feats.

3.Undead Factory. Much like the construct one...but full of the dead.

Having each of your worker wizards have a The Dedicated Wright Homunculus lets them make lots of items. Plus give them an item familiar too.

Add some Urban Druid workers.

The spell Minor Servitor is great, as it's a wizard version of animate object but it's Permanent.

Awaken Sand works too, and it's instantaneous.

Making your factory a divine place, lets you make the nice Sacred Guardian constructs.