PDA

View Full Version : Player Help spell and feat for a favored soul

high speed
2021-01-31, 11:17 PM
Leveling up a favored soul to lvl 3 and need a feat and first level spell. Heading into Malkonvoker and already have Spell Focus (conjuration) and Augment Summoning. Character has low Wis so no spells with DCs. Any help?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-01-31, 11:53 PM
Ice Slick
Obscuring Mist
Protection from Evil

high speed
2021-02-01, 12:18 AM
Ice Slick
Obscuring Mist
Protection from Evil

got Protection from Evil, what do I do with Obscuring Mist, and where is Ice Slick?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-02-01, 12:52 AM
When your party is in melee with opponents and there are other opponents using ranged attacks, drop Obscuring Mist to prevent those ranged attackers from seeing anyone. Position it so they need to come through the cloud and will be in melee once they're out of it, don't disrupt your melee party members.

Ice Slick is in Frostburn, it's pretty much the same as Grease.

Khedrac
2021-02-01, 07:55 AM
Forget Obscuring Mist - it centres on you so cannot be used as suggested.

Consider Summon Desert Ally I?

Darg
2021-02-01, 09:47 AM
Forget Obscuring Mist - it centres on you so cannot be used as suggested.

Consider Summon Desert Ally I?

It has a 20ft range. Just because it spreads from you doesn't mean it has to surround you. Spread allows for a travel distance.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-02-01, 10:14 AM
It has a 20ft range. Just because it spreads from you doesn't mean it has to surround you. Spread allows for a travel distance.

No, he's right - I was thinking it was targeted like all the other cloud spells, I guess that's why it's only 1st level.

rrwoods
2021-02-01, 12:50 PM
Ice Slick is in Frostburn
Yep

it's pretty much the same as Grease.
Uh. Yes, in tactical usage, perhaps, but it's much harder for the DM to adjudicate than grease is, thanks to the unspecified DC for the balance check. It's a *fantastic* spell no matter how you decide to set that DC (since forcing a Balance check frequently makes the enemy flat-footed whether they succeed or fail the check), but if you're going to take it make sure you check with your DM on how it works. (FWIW, my group decided that the Balance DC is what the save DC would have been if the spell allowed a save.)

Darg
2021-02-01, 03:19 PM
I generally default to a DC 10 for difficult surface and +5 for severely slippery (ice sheet). If it's on a slope add an extra +2. All this is found in the PHB.

Anthrowhale
2021-02-01, 09:43 PM
Conviction (Save +2 to +5(morale)) and Eyes of the Avoral (Spot +8(racial)) are often-useful buffs.

For feats, 'Versatile Spellcaster' is always useful on a spontaneous caster.

Thurbane
2021-02-02, 12:03 AM
In terms of feats, if semi-obscure sources are OK, and you're building a dedicated summoner... take a look at Superior Summons (Dragon Compendium p.147).

For the cost of 250gp per spell, any creatures you summon gets max HP.

You also get +1 CL with Conjuration (summoning) spells.

bean illus
2021-02-02, 04:04 PM
For feats, 'Versatile Spellcaster' is always useful on a spontaneous caster.

It really is. It makes the whole reason you went spontaneous even more valid.
It's in Races of the Dragon.