PDA

View Full Version : Target Spells and Dispel Magic

AKA_Bait
2007-11-07, 04:02 PM
Specifically, I've gotten to wondering about dispel magic regarding spells that have a specific target. Dispel Magic says

You can use dispel magic to end ongoing spells that have been cast on a creature or object, to temporarily suppress the magical abilities of a magic item, to end ongoing spells (or at least their effects) within an area, or to counter another spellcaster’s spell.

and

Targeted Dispel
One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell.

So, here is my question: do you need to have line of sight/effect to the object that is a target of a spell or only the effects of the spell? For example:

Evil mage x casts deeper darkness on a pebble as he dashes around the corner of a hallway with the goodguys in hot pursiut. The good guys cannot see in the dark, and therefore cannot see the pebble. Darkness (and deeper darkness) have a target of 'object touched' and an area dispell cannot reach the pebble (which is the point of origin of the spell). Can the good guys use dispel magic to banish the darkness, since they can see and target the effect, or are they doomed to go into the darkness and fumble around since they cannot see the pebble itself?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-07, 04:49 PM
They are doomed. :smallamused:

Without line of effect to the pebble an are dispel will not work and a targeted dispel requires both line of effect and line of sight.

In other words; You cannot attack the darkness. :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2007-11-07, 04:53 PM
Darkness doesn't block line of effect, though.

A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It’s like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it’s not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

Not to mention that deeper darkness, like the darkness, only creates an area of shadow illumination and not actual darkness.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-07, 05:02 PM
No, but corners do.

... dashes around the corner of a hallway ...

Not everyone has a Disintegrate ray. :smallwink:

The spell was about whether line of effect was needed, and it is.

However, the are dispel version of Dispel Magic can reach around corners (relative to you) as long as there is line of effect from the origin of the Dispel Magic spell.

Jasdoif
2007-11-07, 05:19 PM
Ahh, I missed the corner part. Whoops....At least I didn't run into it, that would've hurt.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-11-07, 05:23 PM
Ahh, I missed the corner part. Whoops....At least I didn't run into it, that would've hurt.

Well it is not real dark darkness as you say, so I think you'd see it in time.

If not, you know I will gladly move corners for popcorn. :smallwink: