PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder I have a player doing some size stuff and I want to make sure it all stacks.

BumblingDM
2021-02-01, 12:30 PM
https://imgur.com/a/nITHIwA

That is the link to all the things he has stacking for increasing his size, the only thing that is homebrew which is that I gave lizardfolk the half-giant bonus for counting as larger but otherwise it's all standard pathfinder stuff.

They are a level 20 unchained monk - what should their unarmed strikes look like?

stack
2021-02-01, 12:41 PM
Monk changes base damage, so no issue with sizes things.

Virtual (act as larger) size increases don't stack with each other. Actual size increases (you grow) don't stack wit each other either. You get the largest magnitude of each type.

Looks like that adds up to being a large size monk that deals damage as if huge.

Kurald Galain
2021-02-01, 12:53 PM
It doesn't all stack. By PF rules, you're allowed one "real" size increase (such as Frightful Aspect) and one "virtual" size increase (such as Strong Build).

Also, the Growing weapon enchantment doesn't apply to unarmed strikes (handwraps provide a "but technically..." loophole on a tortuous reading).

Greater Unarmed Strike caps at level 20, in addition to being a Path of War feat (which is not "standard Pathfinder stuff"). Titan Strike is a mythic feat, which is not "standard Pathfinder stuff" either. It is common for PF tables to use the PFS ban list (even outside of PFS, because it's a good shorthand for "no cheese") in which case handwraps aren't allowed either.

I'm unclear where he gets the rage ability required for a furious weapon. Frightful Aspect is a level 8 spell, that can only be cast on oneself; where is he getting that?

In short, his strikes should deal 6d8 damage (which is pretty good, u-monks don't require cheese to contribute in melee) and this player is in all likelyhood trying to pull a fast one on you. HTH.

ezekielraiden
2021-02-01, 01:01 PM
The Monk unarmed damage stacks with size increases, because it is not, itself, a size increase. It simply sets the starting dice, from which the other things must then be calculated. This is one of the only ways to get higher base damage dice, actually.

Titan Strike, Strong Build, and Growing Handwraps are all mutually exclusive. Each is a +1 effective size boost; they don't ACTUALLY change your size, they just let you act as though you were a size category larger. However, he can keep at least part of the benefit by getting a wand or reusable item of strong jaw, which gives a 2-step effective size increase. (This DOES apply to Monks, because as the writeup says, "A monk’s unarmed strike is treated as both a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.")

Frightful Aspect DOES stack, because it is an actual change to his size, not an effective one. He'll want to go looking for some way to become Huge later on, if possible.

So yeah. Dude has Monk damage dice which scale on their own. Then he's becoming the equivalent of Huge (actual size changes to Large, then any one of Titan Strike, Strong Build, or Growing Handwraps counts for bumping his effective size up one.)

BumblingDM
2021-02-01, 01:14 PM
Awesome! thank you everyone, I have 12 players in my group so I do not have time to check all their sheets.

They weren't trying to pull a quick one or anything, they were just off by on extra size category and it was making some of the other players concerned because they could not keep up with the damage output.

Kurald Galain
2021-02-01, 01:28 PM
they were just off by on extra size category

By two, that is. Plus taking several options that aren't "standard Pathfinder stuff", and somehow getting rage and 8th level spells on a monk... :smallamused:

BumblingDM
2021-02-01, 02:39 PM
The Rage comes from VMC barbarian, and the frightful aspect is a 20th level Qinggong Monk power.

I allowed them to take the path of war feat, that is my bad - and I will not allow it in the future.

icefractal
2021-02-01, 03:31 PM
Greater Unarmed Strike isn't adding anything to the damage, so I don't think it's even part of the "problem". I put that in quotes because honestly a Monk 20 with boosted damage doesn't seem remotely overpowering at 20th level, unless the rest of the group is quite low-op.

Like, what does the rest of the party look like? Any of them who are full-casters should really not be concerned with "keeping up" in melee damage, because at this level they have spells that can win or avoid entire combats.

BumblingDM
2021-02-01, 11:01 PM
It's mostly the player thought his damage was high, and wanted to do a character sheet audit.

There are a couple characters that are casters, and they do very well, but the martial characters are all having fun working together to fight big monsters.