PDA

View Full Version : Updated Sentinel Rogue

jojosskul
2021-02-01, 01:08 PM
With the release of TCE, what would be the optimal way to build a Sentinel Rogue at this point? The idea of a rogue with more options to get that second sneak attack per round is very appealing, and I've tried theorycrafting it but there are so many ways to do it I'm having a hard time deciding the best route. I do know I would like the build ot have access to mirror image due to how it interacts with Sentinel. Here are some of the options I've come up with.

All of these builds assume Variant Human, taking Sentinel at 1. I'm open to other options for obtaining the feat, but this seems the simplest way.

Option 1: Straight Arcane Trickster. Simplest option, gain mirror image at 7 and you're off to the races. Still have the sentinel feat before that so still have a decent shot of getting the spell off.

Option 2: Fighter 1/Arcane Trickster X. Same concept but with shields. First level would still be rogue cause skills.

Option 3: Rogue 1/Hexblade 3/Rogue X (Swashbuckler). This adds Hex as an option to make up for some of the lost sneak attack damage and gets you to Mirror Image at CL 4, with hex up still doing the same amount of damage as a pure level 4 Rogue. Also booming blade/GFB, medium armor and shield proficiency. And probably blade pact. And armor of Agathys. And CHA sad. Honestly I quite like this option. Other option might be Genie Warlock for the consistent prof bonus damage instead of once a rest Hexblade Curse, but hexblade brings so much more to the table. And I could see a rogue actually making a pact with some form of weapon.

Option 4: Rogue 1/Draconic Sorc 3/Rogue X (Swashbuckler). No extra damage, but quicken metamagic gets mirror image up on the same turn as a booming blade/GFB attack. Yes it's only three sorcery points to work with, but you can eat 1st level spell slots for more quickens, especially since you'll need it once a battle for mirror image. And you can only ever do the mirror image trick twice a day anyway.

Option 5: Rogue 1/Bladesinger 3/AT X. More spell slots, find familiar for advantage on our one and done attack, bladesinging helps with the frontline fighting.

Am I missing anything obvious here? Would we better off going warlock 5 (blade pact) for extra attack? Am I missing any other decent multiclasses or synergies with other rogue subclasses? Looking forward to everyone's thoughts!

Stangler
2021-02-01, 11:04 PM
Battle master for riposte is an option

iTreeby
2021-02-01, 11:11 PM
Echo Knight for double the aoo area, use a whip for super mega aoo area.

ATHATH
2021-02-02, 03:12 AM
Option 3: Rogue 1/Hexblade 3/Rogue X (Swashbuckler). This adds Hex as an option to make up for some of the lost sneak attack damage and gets you to Mirror Image at CL 4, with hex up still doing the same amount of damage as a pure level 4 Rogue.
The problem with relying on Hex for your damage as a Hexblade 3 is that you only get 2 spell slots per short rest, and Hex only lasts for "Concentration, up to one hour" (unless you upcast to third level or greater). This means that if you set up Hex, you're also only going to get one casting of Mirror Image before your next short rest... unless your DM lets you cast Hex just before your short rest finishes (to use your spell slots from your previous rest instead of those that you're about to gain from your new rest), in which case you'll probably be mostly fine (unless you lose concentration on Hex or your group can't wait for you to finish two short rests in a row instead of one).

Also, remember that it takes a Bonus Action to shift Hex from one person to another, so it'll be hard to get Hex's bonus damage added to both your on-turn attack and your off-turn attack.

Sherlockpwns
2021-02-02, 03:47 AM
You could consider Battlesmith. Probably rogue 1, BS 3, and then back to rogue to 4 or more. Quite likely AT for some extra spell slots.

The advantage here is either the enemy attacks your defender and you opportunity attack or they attack you at disadvantage. Plus if your defender is by your side you always get sneak dmg.

You basically end up with a more tanky, less dmg model that’s slightly more self sufficient.

Your construct won’t last forever in combat, but it doesn’t really have to. You’d have to figure out how to balance between the dps and features of the rogue vs the durability and features of the artificer. I think eventually taking 4-5 levels of artificer is worthwhile for the ASI and extra attack.

Oddly this creates an optimal 16 dex, 20 int rogue, which also is nice to see something more of a “thinker” rogue. Eventually wearing breast plate and a shield, you’ll be plenty tanky even with your sentinel gets chopped. Just have a level 1 spell on standby to bring it back.

jojosskul
2021-02-02, 08:37 AM
Battle master for riposte is an option

I had thought about battlemaster, and that does give more options. The lack of Mirror Image is what kept me from it, but I think that should be looked at more of a "nice to have" rather than a core to the build since no matter what you'll have limited options for casting it.

Echo Knight for double the aoo area, use a whip for super mega aoo area.

Everywhere I play, either AL or with my one homebrew DM I play with, doesn't allow Echo Knight. That would be absolutely amazing though. Sorry, should have made that restriction clear in the OP.

The problem with relying on Hex for your damage as a Hexblade 3 is that you only get 2 spell slots per short rest, and Hex only lasts for "Concentration, up to one hour" (unless you upcast to third level or greater). This means that if you set up Hex, you're also only going to get one casting of Mirror Image before your next short rest... unless your DM lets you cast Hex just before your short rest finishes (to use your spell slots from your previous rest instead of those that you're about to gain from your new rest), in which case you'll probably be mostly fine (unless you lose concentration on Hex or your group can't wait for you to finish two short rests in a row instead of one).

Also, remember that it takes a Bonus Action to shift Hex from one person to another, so it'll be hard to get Hex's bonus damage added to both your on-turn attack and your off-turn attack.

The busy bonus action is definitely a concern. I do still think Hexblade brings a lot to the table, especially combined in with Swashbuckler. But I think you're right, classic AT may be the better option for the rogue portion of the build.

You could consider Battlesmith. Probably rogue 1, BS 3, and then back to rogue to 4 or more. Quite likely AT for some extra spell slots.

The advantage here is either the enemy attacks your defender and you opportunity attack or they attack you at disadvantage. Plus if your defender is by your side you always get sneak dmg.

You basically end up with a more tanky, less dmg model that’s slightly more self sufficient.

Your construct won’t last forever in combat, but it doesn’t really have to. You’d have to figure out how to balance between the dps and features of the rogue vs the durability and features of the artificer. I think eventually taking 4-5 levels of artificer is worthwhile for the ASI and extra attack.

Oddly this creates an optimal 16 dex, 20 int rogue, which also is nice to see something more of a “thinker” rogue. Eventually wearing breast plate and a shield, you’ll be plenty tanky even with your sentinel gets chopped. Just have a level 1 spell on standby to bring it back.

That is really interesting. Sadly Mirror Image isn't on the Battlesmith list, so if we took it all the way to level 5 we'd be working with Blur. But as you said it's quite tanky at that point and that's not a bad thing, you either get the extra damage or you they try and hit your quite impressive (especially with infusions) AC at disadvantage.

I looked into Armorer after reading your comment, since it has Mirror Image. Unfortunately the only weapon on INT you can use with sneak attack is the Lightning Launcher, which is a ranged weapon. If you can somehow throw in Crossbow Expert to remove the melee range disadvantage it works, but with already needing Sentinel (since it's the premise of the build) that puts you at 16 Int until CL 9 if you go 1 Rogue, 5 Armorer, 3 Rogue. Which makes you feel more like an artificer than a rogue for the majority of your career since most play ends in late tier 2/early tier 3.

So I think Battlesmith still makes more sense, since I feel better leaving that at 3 early on. Because if I'm taking artifcer to 5 I'm taking it to 6 for better/more infusions and tool expertise and then I'm taking it to 7 for flash of genius and then Oh No! there's another ASI and then there's third level spells and then I'm an artificer tank with a rogue dip.

This is definitely a lot to consider. I am now convinced that artificer/AT is a great combination, but not sure if it fits for this build. Maybe I just need to be more patient and go for the classic AT with a level of fighter till you get MI, then pick up two more levels of fighter after to grab battlemaster.

One other idea I had was 3 levels of Bard, since that also has mirror image on their list. Which leans into the skill monkey section while still accomplishing a lot of what we were going for. Could even still grab medium armor/shields with Valor, or medium armor/flourishes with Swords. Paired with Swashbuckler again. Any thoughts on this combo?

Gignere
2021-02-02, 08:48 AM
One other idea I had was 3 levels of Bard, since that also has mirror image on their list. Which leans into the skill monkey section while still accomplishing a lot of what we were going for. Could even still grab medium armor/shields with Valor, or medium armor/flourishes with Swords. Paired with Swashbuckler again. Any thoughts on this combo?

Rogue/Bard can work I would look into whispers bard 5. This will give you short rest “sneak attack” dice that will make up for some of the delay in your sneak attack.

Sherlockpwns
2021-02-04, 02:34 AM
I guess it all depends on how much you want to do the mirror image schtick.

I think it’s a cool combo. Overall I think the breakdown is pretty simple.

A pure rogue will do more damage when it works, but less often and only mid to late game. It will excel further at dex skills, but is the least tanky.

A Bard, will come online quicker but always lag behind on damage. You get a much wider skill set, and some flexible bardic inspiration and significantly better AC (I prefer a shield and valor).

A battlesmith goes a very different path, with mirror coming online very late or never. It ends up being the most tanky and probably out damages the bard, but is far less flexible and well behind the rogue still. As you say, careful not to fall into the trap of being a artificer with a rogue dip. I think you’d need to plan carefully. I certainly don’t see going past 5, and there is a good argument for keeping it to 4 for the ASI.l and spell slots. Due to the way multi class spell slots work artificer 5 does not get you more spells, so you’d only be taking it for the extra attack (and 5 more hp for the defender). That may be plenty reason enough but it’s worth considering keeping to 4.

Still even at BS 4 you won’t see mirror image till level 11. So if the mirror image trick is really the goal then this is the worst option by far.

Oh and one last overlooked, but sorta awkward battlesmith combo is Sanctuary. Stab, bonus sanctuary. If they fail the save they may attack a different target, giving you the sneaky stab again. Not as good as mirror image, but it’s a thing you COULD do.

Gignere
2021-02-04, 07:27 AM
Still even at BS 4 you won’t see mirror image till level 11. So if the mirror image trick is really the goal then this is the worst option by far.

Oh and one last overlooked, but sorta awkward battlesmith combo is Sanctuary. Stab, bonus sanctuary. If they fail the save they may attack a different target, giving you the sneaky stab again. Not as good as mirror image, but it’s a thing you COULD do.

If someone really wants the MI + sentinel trick early they can start as wizard and than multi into rogue. Take 3 - 6 levels of wizard, I would only recommend 6 for Bladesinger because their extra attack is bonkers. The sentinel + MI combo could come online as early as level 4. You’ll also have early access to Shadowblade and blade trips mitigating your damage loss.

jojosskul
2021-02-04, 09:52 AM
I guess it all depends on how much you want to do the mirror image schtick.

I think it’s a cool combo. Overall I think the breakdown is pretty simple.

A pure rogue will do more damage when it works, but less often and only mid to late game. It will excel further at dex skills, but is the least tanky.

A Bard, will come online quicker but always lag behind on damage. You get a much wider skill set, and some flexible bardic inspiration and significantly better AC (I prefer a shield and valor).

A battlesmith goes a very different path, with mirror coming online very late or never. It ends up being the most tanky and probably out damages the bard, but is far less flexible and well behind the rogue still. As you say, careful not to fall into the trap of being a artificer with a rogue dip. I think you’d need to plan carefully. I certainly don’t see going past 5, and there is a good argument for keeping it to 4 for the ASI.l and spell slots. Due to the way multi class spell slots work artificer 5 does not get you more spells, so you’d only be taking it for the extra attack (and 5 more hp for the defender). That may be plenty reason enough but it’s worth considering keeping to 4.

All great points, only minor thing is that Artificer multiclassing spell slots are unique because they round UP, instead of down, when determining slots. So level 5 of Battlesmith would get you that 4/2 slot spread. But definitely better to stop there, and like you said mirror image itself comes online very late. Sanctuary, however, is a good stopgap. Problem is is that it will only trigger things ONCE because as soon as you take that attack the Sanctuary drops. You would always have your Defender by your side though.

If I went bard I would be torn between the extra AC from Valor, the flourishes from swords since I'd be in melee so often, and whispers to mitigate loss of sneak attack dice a bit. Swords and Whispers I'd want to take to 5 though due to the great Bardic Inspiration options, where Valor I'd be comfortable leaving it at 3.

If someone really wants the MI + sentinel trick early they can start as wizard and than multi into rogue. Take 3 - 6 levels of wizard, I would only recommend 6 for Bladesinger because their extra attack is bonkers. The sentinel + MI combo could come online as early as level 4. You’ll also have early access to Shadowblade and blade trips mitigating your damage loss.

Honestly? This might be the most elegant solution. Arcane Trickster with 2 levels of bladesinger is already a well established combo, one extra level is pretty great. I don't think I'd take it all the way to 6, chasing an even LATER multiattack would pretty much make me a wizard with a rogue dip most of my career. But three levels of wizard does wonders for spells known and versatility for the character, and AT will slowly add spell slots eventually.

Gignere
2021-02-04, 05:20 PM
Honestly? This might be the most elegant solution. Arcane Trickster with 2 levels of bladesinger is already a well established combo, one extra level is pretty great. I don't think I'd take it all the way to 6, chasing an even LATER multiattack would pretty much make me a wizard with a rogue dip most of my career. But three levels of wizard does wonders for spells known and versatility for the character, and AT will slowly add spell slots eventually.

For a 3 level dip I prefer War Magic over Bladesinger. The +4 to saves is massive for a rogue. Yes unless you know the game is ending at levels 15+, 6 levels of Bladesinger can be a little much.