PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Whirlwind Attack fix help

cartejos
2021-02-01, 05:42 PM
This is my first real time trying to create homebrew, so Im not quite sure on balance, or useability, but this was my idea for helping make whirlwind attack a little more viable.

First, many advised combining dodge/mobility into a single fear
Second was modifying the prerequisites to not be as intensive.
Most of the tactical feats I can think of had 2 prerequisite feats and around a level 6 requirement

(Placeholder feat name)
[Tactical]
Prerequisites: +6 BAB; Dodge/mobility; Combat Expertise
Three combat maneuvers
-Whirlwind Attack: No change, full attack for one attack against any enemy in reach
-Spring Attack: Again, no change, this tactical feat, in my mind, subsumes the feats of both WA and SA
-Limited Pounce: If you charge on your first round of combat, you may take a full attack action

The third option can let you full attack the guy you charge and, if deemed necessary, can set up a whirlwind attack on the following round.
Whirlwind attack and spring attack are deemed okay abilities as far as Ive read through the forums, but are too feat intensive and have limited usability.
I thought bundling them together with an ability that, while can be gained elsewhere, provides an option that could be worthwhile for more characters than either WA or SA individually.

Thurbane
2021-02-01, 05:50 PM
Seems like a decent homebrew feat to me: would fix some of the issues with Whirlwind Attack feat tax etc.

Madsamurai
2021-02-02, 08:12 AM
I don't think you need to add combat expertise. No one actually wants to take that. I think that SA and WWA are fine abilities to spend a feat on. They just have too many prerequisites. I'd just do something like

Dodge
Req: dex 13
+1 Dodge bonus to ac
(This is what Pathfinder did)

Spring attack
Req: bab +6
Feat unchanged

Whirlwind attack
Req: bab +6
Feat unchanged

Mobility
Req: tumble 3 ranks
Attacks of opportunity have a 50% miss-chance against you.

Simple. Similar power level to before, but much more accessible. If you want to add power, is make SA compatible with any standard action, like maneuvers or vital strike