PDA

View Full Version : EMPIRE!6 Kiswa Round 15 Event: The Great Debate

Talis
2021-02-01, 10:14 PM
The banners of the Golden Emperor rattled harshly in the wind above the royal courtyard; each banner uniquely woven to depict one of the mythical rulers of old, next to whom the revered Lim Dynasty were said to be naught but backwater gentry. For generations, faith in the Golden Emperors had reinforced the Dynasty's legitimacy and helped to underpin the Fei social order. But times were changing, and Queen Xia was already aware of the allure of foreign religions. So she had decided: rather than wait to be overrun by foreign preachers, she would invite them here, to discuss and debate their religions so that the Fei might learn openly and make a choice. What that choice would be: to stay with their own faith, or adopt a new one, she did not yet know.

The debate proper would be held in the palace courtyard. It was wide and open enough for a multitude, but sheltered from the harsh winds and small enough for everyone to speak and hear. Queen Xia had arranged for bronze braziers to be lit along the porticoes to keep her guests warm. A wooden stage, flanked by tapestries and large enough for multiple speakers simultaneously, had been erected along one wall. Mindful that some of her guests might try to demonstrate the power of their gods through prayers or sacrifices, space had been set aside in the wings for each religion to erect a temporary altar. The royal palace itself had apartments enough for the heads of each faith. The queen had arranged space at various inns for other important guests. Any commoners who came simply to hear the debates would have to make do staying in one of many felt tents erected in a nearby valley.

The people were treating the event as an opportunity for a great festival: merchants were selling all kinds of goods in the city in eager anticipation of visitors. Thanks to the Queen's diplomacy, Tangtze was now bristling with new crafts. Every pot, mug, and piece of bronzeware was brand new. A dozen new breeds of Yak now served as pack animals for both guests and visitors, and more rice and barley had been harvested this year than ever before.

Messengers had been sent to every faith that the Queen had heard of; every great prophet and theologian invited. The message was simply: come and teach us about your faith. Show us your gods, that we might understand which faith is true and follow the correct one. Everything was prepared. All she needed to do now was to wait and see whether her invitations would be heeded or not.

All known Heads of Faith are invited to speak at the debate. Other empires may come and speak (or observe) freely if desired.

Rolepgeek
2021-02-02, 10:42 PM
The first to arrive were the Dhraan, unsurprisingly. The Lim Dynasty's nearest neighbors may be preoccupied with the ongoing struggle against the Anbroch and Bel-Dan, but it appears their newest ruler was willing to make the time to attend such a fine event hosted by Lhungho Saar's allies against the pirates. Though the delegation appears...haggard, the troll at their head appears unconcerned - she does not carry herself like royalty, but rather with the quiet confidence of a tavern matron in her home - in fact she hardly seems eager to be announced.

Haggard or no, however, the delegation still brings with it a hearty array of gifts. Necklaces of white and black pearl, armbands and circlets of bronze, blood amber statuettes carved in the image of all manner of beasts, most common among them the crocodiles of the Sur, heady-scented dried leaves in fine leather pouches, earthenware vessels filled with rice wine, banana wine, fermented Inghu milk, and other culinary delicacies of the Dhraan, and even a pair of flamingos were presented in the spirit of friendship and recognition of the aid given by Queen Xia during the campaigns in Lonn Dhakaa.

High Queen Usuukhusaa herself was not especially tall for one of her kind, at a mere 31 hands high, and her scales a luxurious green, as though she were covered in rough-hewn jade. Her hands and forearms, though, appear as though carved from ivory, matching the speckled cream-like spots that seem to crawl up her shoulders to toss themselves like flower petals across her torso and face. As prior rulers of Lhungho Saar, she bears the trappings of her station, but from beneath the adornments gaze eyes of a soft, golden hue that might described as kind if they did not peer out over the great jaws of a Troll.

Accompanying the Queen are over two dozen retainers of varying species, but notable among them is a second member of the royal family, Ghaali Kw'Torineti, oft called 'The Falconer' for their famed skill with handling the birds of prey Dhraan use in hunting. Their appearance is much like that of a Blemmy, save that they are covered with tanned, leathery, scale-like skin, with long, claw-tipped arms, and a mouth full of large, sharp teeth - not to mention being over 8 feet tall. Across their shoulders was several layers of thick leather padding, and atop the padding perched a finely-kept eagle with red-tipped wings, large enough that it would not surprise were the raptor to pick up a goat and fly off with it. Both calves are wrapped with corded string, and their torso turns slowly to surmise the area, displaying inordinate flexibility. The Blemmy seems satisfied with what they see, though, and makes no comment, instead reaching into a pouch to pull out what looks to be a knuckle and offer it to the red-winged eagle they keep.

Queen Usuukhusaa lowered her head in respect to Queen Xia as she grew closer, accompanied by a Truthseer who translated all she said into the Fei tongue for the Queen's benefit. "It is a pleasure and a privilege to meet you in person, most excellent one. My brother, and thus I, take great solace in knowing the might of Fei Dang stands with us against such savage foes as threaten our borders even now. It is our hope that these gifts will serve as a small token of our gratitude."

bc56
2021-02-03, 01:58 AM
A procession arrives at the Lim courtyard, atop powerful Ashiran horses not seen outside of Sikar... Until now. Green-cloaked Veramondi priests dismount. They are constantly talking amongst each other in their own tongue, heated words flying back and forth. One of them breaks off from the debate and bows deeply to the Queen.
"Majesty, I am High Priest Aka of Veramondo," he says, "I come bearing the truth of the world, and precious gifts. Rice and cacao to feed your family, flamingo feathers to adorn their raiments in splendor." A cart pulled by a brace of donkeys is unloaded, baskets brought out full of gifts for the Lim Dynasty.
Two more unusual people are among the priests as they arrive. One might appear to be one of the priests, clad in the same green as they are, but she's by far younger than any others there, maybe only 8 or 9 years old. Walking beside her is one of the few members of the party not clothed as a priest. A svelte woman with earthen hair, half Veramondi, half Vygra, wearing traveling leathers and bronze jewelry, keeps easy pace with the child. " 'avi, what are they do wif our grain?" "They're giving it as a gift to the Queen here." "Why? Does she need grain?" "It is proper to give a gift of grain when first entering someone's home. It shows that you wish them prosperity and good health." "What's posperitee?" "Having more than what you need." "Like we haf so much grain we give to her?" "Haha, yes, you could say that."

Moriko
2021-02-03, 04:13 PM
Zisbehk Tebmusylo arrived at the royal courtyard. His last mission to Highnest was overshadowed by the Black Pharaoh and he had not been the one to negotiate anything at all really. This time he felt it would be different. Yes the Black Pharaoh stood next to him observing the representatives of different faiths but Zisbehk had something planned.

As the pair approached Queen Xia they bowed with the respect a queen deserved. "Greetings Queen Xia I am Zisbehk Tebmusylo from the Sewune and this is the Black Pharaoh. We would like to thank you for the hospitality that you show us this day and the friendship you have extended towards our people over the last few years." He and the Pharaoh finish the bow and stand straight up once more. "I come here today not to promote our faith towards you as there are people better suited to do so. No we are here today to hopefully show you that the people of Kiswa can work together and share resources and we are of the opinion there is no better way than to lead by example." He points towards an area reserved for a market stall where some Sewune and Kywamma have started constructing a small house with brick and masonry technique not seen before in Kiswa. "There you can see the latest of building technology and we intend to share it with all that want it. We hope that you will be the first to accept this gift."

Some time after the meeting.

Zisbehk stands in the newly constructed building, while it is small it shows the advanced techniques used in its construction. Whenever a new representative from Kiswa passes by he says. "Greetings my fellow Kiswan the Sewune would like to gift you the technology to construct this." as he gestures towards the building he stands in.

Aedilred
2021-02-03, 08:07 PM
His interest in the western lands had led some to call Oniyellīs emath-aricīs, the far-seeing, and he was eager to build on the relationship with the Lim Dynasty. To that end he had encouraged banozhisē to journey to this event, and attempt to share their wisdom with the Fei.

Some of the most senior banozhisē were present here, forgoing the annual gathering in the forest in the hope of reaching new minds in the west. In addition to their immediate followers and supply train came merchants and other curious folk eager to explore the western lands. And, not exactly part of the delegation but nevertheless with it, Ecimōnā, making her own journey to the lands which had for so long occupied her father's attention.

They trekked mostly on foot, with donkeys carrying their provisions. After leaving the majority of the servants and pack animals outside the palace, the smaller group of shamen made their way into the courtyard, accompanied by one donkey.

Their leader bowed to Queen Xia and spoke in a thickly accented trade tongue. "Your highness, I am Omoyūlis of the Hapēzi, and I thank you for your hospitality. Please accept the fruits of the east in gratitude for our welcome here." Within the packs on the donkey were ripe avocados, mangoes, bananas and other tropical fruits.

Gaius Hermicus
2021-02-04, 09:00 PM
"Why do the Lim have fake mountains? asked the King of Kings of the United Abiherist Tribes as they toddled along the path after their caretaker, whose brow was furrowed with annoyance at the young king's questions. "Gotor, why would the Lim build fake mountains?"

Gotor Kw'Mesihafi, Curator of the Bete Great Library and today a glorified babysitter, massaged the section of upper chest above their eyes. "My king, of course the mountains are not fake. They are as real as any other mountain. Please do not ask silly questions in front of the foreign diplomats."

"But, Gotor, you told me that the Korebita Foothills were the highest mountains in the world!" said Lisiy, running to catch up with Gotor's furious pace. You wouldn't lie to me, would you?"

Gotor stopped and grabbed Lisiy's shoulders. My king. That was a section of an academic text that I read to you because you demanded a bedtime story. It was transcribed hundreds of years ago, when it was believed by most scholars that the Korebita did in fact possess the highest mountains. Today, we know better and the text that I read to you has been partially discredited. These mountains are not fake, and I must implore you not to suggest as much in the presence of the Lim sovereign." Gotor had never met Queen Xia, but they reasoned that it was safest to assume that any perceived disrespect would be punished harshly. And as much as the eight-year-old King of Kings got on their nerves, they had no desire to see them imprisoned or killed while under their supervision.

Behind the King and the Curator, a trio of blemmyae bodyguards struggled to balance their spears and the chests full of gifts that they brought to bestow on the Queen. The first chest overflowed with intricately carved stonework, beads and talismans strung onto strings to be worn as jewellery, while the second chest was loaded with dried and salted fish and shrimp from the balmy coasts of Galghälani. The third and largest chest was the richest of the three by far, filled to the brim with folded and stacked cloaks sewn of feathers: the calling card of Abiherist heroes. To give a gift of feathered cloaks was a great diplomatic gesture, and Gotor hoped that it would give Queen Xia a good opinion of the blemmyae diplomatic group. After all, they had a religion to prosyletize.

"Greetings, great Queen Xia of the Lim Dynasty," said Gotor as they approached the regal sovereign. "I am Gotor Kw'Mesihafi, a Curator of the Bete Great Library and one of the heads of the Abiherist religion. With me is the King of Kings of the United Abiherist Tribes, the... charming young Lisiy Kw'Muketi. I hope you will find our gifts satisfactory, and that through our guidance you shall see the true path of the ancestral heroes."

Potato_Priest
2021-02-05, 01:06 PM
Draan
Rosie MacGill, hair grey but back straight, walked into the courtyard flanked by her honor guard of Sirrvadutt elves and made a beeline for the Dhraan queen.

"Queen Usuukhusaa, I have come to bargain."

Talis
2021-02-05, 06:16 PM
“Thank you all for coming.” Queen Lim bowed in greeting to her quests, mentioning each by name in order of their arrival (to avoid any chance of offense). “Queen Usuukhusaa, High Priest Aka, Pharaoh, Omoyūlis of the Hapēzi,King of Kings Lisiy Kw'Muketi. It is an honor to welcome you all to my home. I have arranged quarters for each of you during the debate. Please, make yourselves welcome; if you require anything, simply speak with a servant and I will see it done.

Servants of the queen were already quietly receiving the gifts with care. Such splendid and remarkable items would be treasured. The queen had arranged her own gifts as well: each guests would find a box in their quarters. Inside was a personal note from the queen and various gifts: a bottle of yak milk, carved oracle-bones, beautifully crafted pottery and woven rugs with mandala patterns upon them.

---- (Some time later)

“Thank you all again for attending this debate.” The Queen stood upon the stage, looking not just at her foreign guests but at the families from all across Fei Dang who had come to listen. “I do not intend to interfere overly as we proceed. I would ask that each guest is given a chance to speak and introduce their faith. Afterwards you may rebut or debate each other as you see fit. If you wish to appeal to your gods to show us their power, we have prepared an altar for each of you.” She bowed slightly and stepped off the stage, leaving it open for those who wished to speak.

Gaius Hermicus
2021-02-08, 12:24 PM
Gotor climbed onto the stage, looking out to the queen. Thank you, Queen Xia. I am a Curator of Abiherism, the true Oracles of Elder Memories. As I have observed, your people already revere the ancestors, those who have gone before you and have since passed on to the kingdoms in the stars. We Abiherists are the same, but with one difference: we understand how the soul remains alive after death, and how, through the secret magics of memory, how to call upon deceased heroes and achieve ever-greater glory of your own.

Rolepgeek
2021-02-08, 03:18 PM
Draan
Rosie MacGill, hair grey but back straight, walked into the courtyard flanked by her honor guard of Sirrvadutt elves and made a beeline for the Dhraan queen.

"Queen Usuukhusaa, I have come to bargain."

"A surprise, Lady MacGill, to be sure, but not an unpleasant one. 'Tis unusual for the victorious to approach the encroached with terms in hand, from what history as I have known. Has some dire domestic concern reared its head to force you into such a dialogue as this? Come, come, seat yourself where neither of us need crane our necks."

Though Usuukhusaa seemed unfazed both by the woman's directness, her younger sibling was not so composed, and their arms flexed nervously, one hand clasped tightly around the hilt of a dagger in their belt as they eyed the Sirrvadut warriors surrounding the dwarf.

Though Ghaali's sister's ascension to the throne had been...unusual, to say the least, and her attentions would surely have been more focused on the events leading up to that than the ongoing war, the recent Anbroch-led invasions of Unghlaban and Cnamhatan - not to mention the failed assault on Singhön led by the Warlady herself - had not escaped the Falconer's notice. The tales he'd received from family history and the tales of the Dream Speakers regarding the Anbroch both spoke of treachery, deceit, and malice. He had no expectations of true parley. Not from dwarves.

Aedilred
2021-02-08, 06:03 PM
Omoyūlis mounted the dais once Gotor had finished speaking. "From what we understand of the ways of the Fei, you revere your ancestors, the Golden Emperors, as both mighty exemplars of ages past, but also spirits ever-present in the world around you. This is as we understand it. The world we live in is populated with spirits, not only the great departed, but all manner of shūvāchē which can control the elemental properties of this world: light and shadow, stone and water, the living and the dead. Hozhīsa is a name we give to the study of these spirits, their ways and nature, and how to speak to and deal with them. With the aid of the shūvāchē, we can hear words of wisdom from sages and heroes of ages past, fortify ourselves against disease and infirmity, and influence the world around us."

He smiled slightly and gave an almost respectful nod to Gotor, and another bow to Aka. "When you introduced us, Great Queen Xia, you spoke of an appeal to our gods. Perhaps in your language you might term the shūvāchē as gods, or the ancestors of the Abiherists likewise. But whatever disagreements we the wise may have with the others here gathered, I believe we are in agreement on this at least. We are not savages crying out to all-powerful gods who we believe have the power to make or unmake all creation, in the hope that they will heed our prayers. When this fails, what is the justification of the primitive mind, such as we see in Sikar? That we have somehow failed the gods, that we must redouble our efforts, that through further imprecations we can attract the favour of these beings which set the stars in the sky.

"We are not so vain. We concern ourselves with the immediate, with the known, with that which is achievable, rather than the fantastic. I doubt you will hear any grandiose promises today of reversing the Sun in the sky or bringing down mountains. What good are such conjurers' tricks? Our aim is to make our people strong, our animals fat, our crops tall. We seek the wisdom of our ancestors not only because they were great, but because they were mortal. They walked this world, your emperors in these lands and our forebears in ours, and they know what it is to be one of us, though their power may eclipse that of any yet living. Their word is valuable not because it meets some arbitrary standard that pleases a higher power, as the credulous godly would say, but rather as one who understands us, understands life, a wisdom that is of use from day to day.

"I and mine can call upon shūvāchē today, but I would not ask you to adopt the ways of Hozhīsa simply because you seek power or that you are seduced by what magic we might seem to perform. Rather I would ask that you come to Hozhīsa because you seek and value wisdom, because you wish to understand the world in which you live, and wish to do your best to prosper within it and bring prosperity to those around you."

Frostwander
2021-02-09, 02:48 AM
While the Vygra do not send a delegation of priests or proselytizers, there are a pair who attend the debate. They arrive separately, and aside from a few polite exchanges, do not much interact with the other - neither do they seem to take the same views of the debate itself.

The first is a stout athletic Mira, pale aqua skin patterned like river weeds, and flowing teal hair tinging bright pink at the tips. She wears robes of heavy flax, and while she travels armed and with an escort, puts those things away for the debate, a show of faith in the hospitality and protection of the hosts. On her arrival, she introduces herself to the queen and assembly as Fulji Besiri, one of Matji Varsha's advisors and veteran of the shadow hunts. "I bring you the warm greetings and good wishes of the Vygra Confluence, and thank you for your invitation. I do not come to bring you the words of our faith in debate, for there are those better suited to that request, but to show support to those who do, and geniality to you as neighbors." When the time for the conference comes, Besiri stands with the Veramondi priests, near to Enavi Hadev.

The other ra in attendance is one whose face is beginning to be known in some circles for her presence at notable events. While seldom in the foreground, Shire has nevertheless been conspicuous at the gathering where the blemmyae hero Yegin gave his last cry, as well as Gusuhaz' march to Sikar and the parlay outside Highnest. Her expression is placid, and her hair seems to float on a subtle breeze of its own. She speaks little and listens much, but makes her position on the debate clear by the copper Abiherist emblem she wears, sitting near Curator Kw'Mesihafi.

Besiri
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/cf/ea/37/cfea37e2f9f581c3a825d07d3e809ff7.jpg
Shire
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/34/6c/22/346c221305459691cc8dcdd3db24084c.jpg

Potato_Priest
2021-02-09, 08:08 PM
"A surprise, Lady MacGill, to be sure, but not an unpleasant one. 'Tis unusual for the victorious to approach the encroached with terms in hand, from what history as I have known. Has some dire domestic concern reared its head to force you into such a dialogue as this? Come, come, seat yourself where neither of us need crane our necks."

Rosie sat, though the elves remained standing. "No, there are a few other places I'd like ta send my army, that is all. The king of kings was killed in Sikar, and it would be right if some Reavers could be spared ta avenge him. But I have an agenda to fulfill, so I'm going to try ta achieve it now with words."

"Namely, I want the forcible return of all refugees from Kincany, and secondly..."

She unfurled a crudely drawn map of west Kiswa, then slammed her fist on the junction of the Erapira and the Sur.

"I want Singhon."

Rolepgeek
2021-02-09, 10:46 PM
~~~

Once the bulk of the debate had been had and the assembled had begun arguing in circles as those who differed on matters of faith always would, Queen Usuukhusaa rose to her feet, bowl she'd been sipping from while listening in one great clawed hand. When she cleared her throat, the sound was felt, more than heard, a deep and projecting guttural noise that drew attention like a river draws floods.

"Please! Before we go any further, let us remember that we are here in peace to be shown the virtues of faith, diverse as can be found on the land we call Kiswa. Let us drink in memory of that. To numberless gods, to fallen and remembered heroes, to shuvache, to the land itself, and most of all, to our venerable host!" she proclaimed, lifting the bowl before drinking deeply from it.

Any who partook likewise would experience something rather...unusual.

~~~

Queen Xia raised a cup in accord and drank.

As she imbibed the liquid her soul collided with a maelstrom. Broken flashes of births and battle spanning centuries assailed her mind. "Treachery!" was her first thought, that her guest could betray her in such a way, yet before she could act, her sense of self was swallowed in the overwhelming Duty possessed by the Guardian Beast, the drive inherent in every fiber of her being to protect the living children of the World Soul against the predation of the Blight.

Bitter tears stream down the Queen's cheeks at the thought of all the lives already lost, and the weight of those lives yet to be saved weighs on her chest until she cannot breath. Then the vision passes, she breathed. It took her several moments to remember who she was, where she was. The weight of the revelation still pressed upon her. Yet now she realized that her guest's act had not been one of treachery, but a gift.

~~~

"You debate the nature of the mystic forces that command the world with well-reasoned arguments and formulated theories of the mechanisms by which our shared world operates. But it is just that. Our shared world. I will not debate with words. Any who might still doubt me - drink deeply. This is the argument I bring. Meet my goddess, and understand why the mechanism of the world is so much less important than the purpose we must have to defend it. This is both my gift to you and my counterpoint."

The Dhraan Queen's eyes shone with the delight of her success at this most noble of tasks - to share enlightenment with the greatest minds in Kiswa, who might glean yet more from the understanding of the Great Mother than even she, given their tremendous wisdom.

((OOC: Anyone who partakes in the toast is at risk of their drink having been exposed/contaminated by the Milk of the Great Mother, but for OOC comfort reasons this is opt-out. If you are inclined to allow fate to decide, Intrigue roll-offs in the OOC thread between TRL and your own kingdom are also acceptable for deciding if your characters are affected. If your character is affected, please let TheDarkDM know. He will instruct you further.))

make a faith roll for each affected character. He'll send you blurbs for them on what happens based on the rolls.

Potato_Priest
2021-02-09, 11:04 PM
It wouldn't do to show weakness or fear in front of the Dhraan at the negotiating table, and Rosie could use the drink. So, she nonchalantly tossed it back with a grunt.

She stood still for a while, as if in a daze, as her mind spun through the visions and the meaning of what it was to be the great mother. Slowly, she returned to her senses.

"Loren's tits! Can I get some of that ta go?"

bc56
2021-02-10, 12:07 AM
The Debate

"Pah! Why rely on fickle spirits or distant ancestors? The Way of Green teaches of practical things. Of the cycle of life, how we draw our lives from the land and give them in return in time. We bring life where there is barrenness and health where there is blight. Ours is the way of life and prosperity." High Priest Aka waves his staff and gestures dramatically. "As proof, allow me to present Princess Vari Hadev, the Blessed. Her mother was in her 81st year when she conceived, and her 82nd when she gave birth. Yet she is a healthy and beautiful child, strengthened and brought into being by the power of the land itself." The young girl is brought forward and held up for all to see. She laughs and smiles at the assembled crowd.

The Disturbance

As the strange changes come over those who drink of the bowl, worried murmurs pass through the Veramondi priests. Mutters of "Childscourge" and "Life's Bane" can be heard. But Aka takes a more aggressive stance, approaching the troll queen angrily, jabbing at the air with his staff, as if it were a spear. "What treachery is this!? You do not debate with words, as with proper, but away others with vile potions and twisted poisons! You should be ashamed, marked a traitor! You have stripped these people of their right to hear and decide with your poisons. Did you also place the scourge in our springs to harm the lives of our people!?"

Aedilred
2021-02-10, 11:12 AM
Omoyūlis frowned as Usuukhusa began speaking, interrupting what had been a perfectly reasonable discussion with platitudes, but as she proposed a toast, he nevertheless raised a cup to his lips, only to pause on the cusp of drinking as an unfamiliar scent caught his nose.

"rrīpīhi!" he shouted. "tish hōfi!" He looked more closely at the liquid in his cup, swirled it and smelled it again.

"yomyīn zhōpen!" shouted one of the other banozhisyi.

Omoyūlis cast down his cup to shatter on the floor but saw to his horror that Queen Xia had already drunk. The other members of his party did likewise. As Aka advanced on Usuukhusa, and stepped up behind her to add his voice to her angry denunciations.

"You have poisoned our host! Where is the antidote? By every law, you deserve death for this!"

Gaius Hermicus
2021-02-10, 02:24 PM
The King of Kings squeals with delight as the goblet is offered to them, and dashes up to seize the drink.Lisiy! shouts Gotor, leaping from the stage to try and grab their young ward. Do not drink of it... But it was too late. Wide-eyed, the child takes a great gulp of the milky liquid and swallows. Instantly, their mouth drops open, and they collapse backward onto the floor. It is several minutes before they sit back up once again, and when they do, the expression on their face holds no trace of its former childlike joy.

Moriko
2021-02-10, 03:06 PM
The Black Pharaoh accepted the toast and drank the cup when he finished the drink he simply said. "It appears no greater truth can be found within this drink, what a shame." and looked towards the other delegates in anticipation.

Zisbehk had been watching while this went on and when the Pharaoh drank from the cup his ego got the better of him. Surely if he can drink from it so can I! He thought and he walked up to one of the cups and drank from it. As the liquid goes down he freezes and for some time nothing happens. Then tears flow from his eyes and his gaze is distant and for several minutes more he just stands there. When he finally speaks only a few words come out "We must join her and defeat the blight." before returning to silence.

Minescratcher
2021-02-10, 04:04 PM
A Warrior's Ransom

Ren-Pera-Don had no wish to be in Fei Dang, so close to the cursed western mountains, but it had proven the most convenient neutral grounds for the release of the Naherin warrior he'd captured. There was nothing for it but to hope that the headwaters of the Sur would be sufficient protection against the insidiousness of the land. A single ship had passed upriver from the newly-conquered Trollish colonies in the north, disgorging the pirate captain, seven of his men, and Aesira Bladedance with bound wrists into the city of the Lim.

"Where are those scaly elves?" grumbled the Ren. "I hope they didn't leave you drifting in sight of harbor, Aesira! It would be a terrible insult to your ability!"

Mysterious Milk

Against his better judgement, the Ren had remained in the Lim court to watch the debate. He stayed focused at first, nodding appreciatively at the Veramondi princess, but his mind wandered as the new Troll Queen stood and rambled on about peace and other such boring topics. He was no Ren-Cha-Fen, but there were certain things land-walkers could do better than he could, and even though it had been slow so far, it might be worthwhile to watch -

His train of thought was shattered by the uproar from the Veramondi camp. Looking about, he saw Queen Xia and Rosie sitting with slack expressions as the Way of Green and Hozhisa priests advanced on the troll. It did not take a brilliant mind to recognize what had happened.

"Well done, Queen! A toast not to peace, but to war and to glory! Lo-loya chora bon-la!" He lifted his club, but made no move towards the debaters yet.

Frostwander
2021-02-11, 03:19 AM
A Toast

While the Veramondi priests stay aloof from the toast offered by the Dhraan, Fulji Besiri has no such compuction from the debate. She is here to listen, and support the words of the Way of Green, yes. Also important to the role of the fulji, though, is to help foster good relations between the Confluence and their fellow nations, and the people of Lhungho Saar had been friends more than most. She takes a cup offered from one of the servants, raising it along with many others, and drinks.

Besiri's practiced balance and warrior reflex is all that keeps her from falling over as she sinks hard back to her seat, one hand stabilizing her against a nearby column. She raises her eyes and her gaze is distant, as if looking through everyone to something much further away. Bitter tears trickle down the Mira's cheeks, then become a widening stream as water flows down her neck and chest, soaking her tunic. A puddle forms beneath her as her breath come in deep sobs. When finally her eyes regain focus and the tide of tears abates, she stands, stumbling forward after Aka and the other priests. She struggles to get out more than a few words to the priests, but manages, "Mere words, nothing. Only see, hear, feel, bear." There is clearly something more she wishes to express, but her voice seems to fail her.

Across the courtyard, Shire watches the reactions of the others who have partaken, her own cup resting in her hand. While she detected no prior signs of deception, her suspicious impulses - despite the relatively benign setting - serve her well. Now she analyzes the responses from the shadow of one of the porticos. There is more to this than a simple poison. No signs of pain beyond strong emotion. But a rapid effect, and strong. We will need to learn more. Slipping away from the commotion, it does not take her long to track down one of the servants who refilled many of the cups in the courtyard. Quietly but firmly, she relieves her of the pitchers of liquid she bears, and takes them away to her rooms. Shire is gone by morning.

Gaius Hermicus
2021-02-12, 10:11 AM
An Impending Threat of Violence

Hearing the shouts from the Way of Green and Hozhisa priests and the Bel-Dan joyful proclamation of war, Lisiy leaped to their feet with surprising agility, once again dodging their caretaker's desperate attempts to grab them, and ran to place themself in between the advancing religious leaders and the goblet-bearing troll. No! they shouted in a voice of far more clarity and intelligence than any eight-year-old had any right to possess. My siblings, my cousins of this earth, hold your wars, abstain from the bloodlust that lurks in your hearts. Violence is not the answer, and the continuation of this feud will cause great and lasting harm to those innocent siblings that have no choice in the matter. I pray you, let us speak to each other in a civil manner, without threat of war, and come to peaceful, harmonious resolution together.

Talis
2021-02-12, 12:33 PM
"Yes, please." Xia spoke up, struggling to pull herself out of a euphoric stupid, to focus on the matter at hand. Her eyes were still wet with tears. She pushed away the servants who had rushed to her side to support her. "I asked you all here to help us learn, and Queen Usuukhusaa has done exactly that. She has not poisoned me. I have had a revelation. I see... I understand now, the mysteries she was trying to teach. Or at least, I understand what I do not understand."

"Mother..." Xia's daughter Shai spoke up, obvious concern on her face. "You are not making sense. Please, let us call a doctor."

"No." Xia almost shouted the word. "It is as I said. We were willing to see the others appeal to their gods, to call miracles and speak of their faith. Well they have done so, and it is more wondrous than I could have ever expected. Queen Usuukhusaa, you have my thanks for this gift."

Rolepgeek
2021-02-14, 10:52 PM
Accusations and Revelations

"I have poisoned no one - I have merely helped them to become enlightened. As our host says, I have done as she asked of us - demonstrated truth through the miracle of the Milk bestowed upon us by the Great Mother. If you drink yourself, you will learn as well. If you...feel deceived, then I apologize for any perceived treachery. As the Veramondi sought to demonstrate the powers of their faith through Princess Vari Hadev, so do I seek to demonstrate the truth of my own through this - it...it is hard to explain in words the insights it grants. It is better to drink and see for yourself. If you are still unconvinced then, perhaps further discussion will be warranted.

Aedilred
2021-02-15, 03:47 AM
"hemomē," spat Omoyūlis. "Now you say this, when it cannot be undone, and the queen's mind is already poisoned. You give no statement of faith. You came here as a follower of the Way of Green and you betray your own high priest? You offered a toast to friendship and all our faiths and now pretend that this was as our host asked? You slip your poison into the cups of children? This helatapiza is unworthy of anyone and you call yourself a queen. This baseness would shame the forefathers of the lowest commoner and you affect fo defend it? You have betrayed your host and insulted her house. You have betrayed your gods, whichever gods you now serve, you have betrayed your kin, and all those who fought to defend your kingdom of treachery."

He pointed at her with three fingers. "Usuukhusaa, I name you faithless and accursed. modlas. endāc eracēnga yedh zhēpishath".