PDA

View Full Version : The Ritual of Sucession

Lleban
2021-02-01, 10:15 PM
A Summit at The Rock

After the disastrous defeat at the battle of Kitara forest, the humbled Alodite force retreated back to Kerma carrying the pharaoh's body in tow. And while SHebitku's priests and alchemists were useless in keeping the Pharoah, alive they were competent enough at preserving his corpse to the journey back to Kerma. There at the obsidian obelisk, Shebitku lay. His eyes as amber and piercing as they were in life, his head shaved according to Alodite tradition, his robes lined with gold and ivory jewelry. In death, he appeared almost serene, an unsettling presentation for those who knew the child that ran, the man that rode, and the Pharoah with limitless energy. Elfen aging has left him with the face of a man in his mid-forties, despite being two years Zidan's senior. The following phrase was carved in ceremonial glyphs and in Kagahara.

O man, whoever you are and wherever you come from, for I know you will come, I am Shebitku who won the Alodites their Kingdom. Do not, therefore, begrudge me, for I claim what belongs to my ancestors as my own.

Among the living Shebitku's 7 children, Ramses, Hatshepsut, Nefertiti, Ketket, Maat, and Horus were present at the rock. With them were the Ashiran Queen mothers Kasha and Ashina, the Hydran Queen mother Nephil, and representatives of the 10 greatest of the Alodite clans. Today the dignitaries from across the empire and beyond would come to visit the Pharoah one last time before the ritual of succession. In addition, they may attempt to influence the choice of a new Pharoah.

Ramses The Golden (45): Firstborn of Shebitku's children, the 45-year-old Ramses has spent a noticeable amount of his formative years in the court of Zidan with his half-sister Hatshepsut. Though clumsy with the javelin, he is an expert rider and archer. Ramses carries himself with the weight of a firstborn, with an ego to match.

Hatshepsut Silver Dust (42): Secondborn, Hatshepsut spent more of her younger years learning from the burgeoning Ashir inquisition, and intern helping her father develop its own force, spearheading the mockery assassinations and subsequent investigations into their wicked arts. Uniquely of the royal half-elves, she has borne two daughters with Piye Rain watcher, a high ranking Alodite noble.

Nefertiti Dust Walker (38): Thirdborn and the only other child of Ashina, Nefertiti, is an avowed spiritualist, spending much of her time within the newly conquered orc lands, meditating within the firm grasp of the sun. Despite her relatively austere lifestyle, her slavish devotion to True Dawn seems to have aged her far less than her compatriots.

Ketket Herd Tender (36): The final daughter of Shebitku, Ketket has learned much of value and what it means. Time spent studying herds, slaves, and merchants coming in and out of the capital have taught her much in the art of exchange and negotiation.

Maat Aspirant (30): Despite being the youngest, and perhaps the most forgotten of his siblings, Maat has the most foreign experience of the group, spending much of his youth time traveling the continent with the legendary Kro Kareal, in addition to learning from many a sentinel manscripts.

Horus (15): The only full elf of the group, Horus is a child of the Hydran princess Nephil and represents a synthesis of the two dynasties. His age (analogous to a human 7-year-old) would mean that Nephil would have to serve as co-ruler for a time.

Epinephrine_Syn
2021-02-01, 11:42 PM
What happened to Shebitku was incredibly tragic, sudden, out of nowhere. If this pharaoh was to die everyone surely expected it to be in some giant war, but at the very least his body was brought home and he died in honorable battle. This wasn’t the first time an ally of the Hydra was slain in their home tent as a vicious surprise, and by this point it sure seemed like this kind of treachery was the only way to defeat a great sovereign.

Zora herself came to the funeral. No longer a ruler like she once was, she still bore considerable sway, and so when she insisted on being the one to organize the diplomatic venture to her fellow elven royal none even attempted to challenge her.

Of all the rulers she made pacts with so many years ago, the pharaoh was the one king she had doubts of outliving. She hadn’t talked to him much when they were rulers, and now she regretted waiting until he inevitably retired into old age before establishing more concrete contact. Even after retiring she’d had so many diplomatic games to play, worms to train, fortresses to build…

Where did the years go?

———————————————————————

The Night Elven band arrived in the dead of night, bringing along literal tons of wealth as gifts of condolences. They were established opulent powerhouses in sitar, and made sure to show the weight of what that meant when it came to a special occasion. Of course, all of the baubles in the world wouldn’t mean much without a true symbol of respect.

So along with this was a plaque, shaped out of a melt of solid copper, silver, and gold. Ordained with gems. The phrase so oft carved into the glyphs across the lands was printed on it, and a space at the top was left with the markings of an empty face. Zora’d brought along a personal smelter to gaze upon Shebitku’s visage as it was still fresh, and to craft his visage into the memorial plate so that the great Alodite king would not be forgotten.

Nefarion Xid
2021-02-03, 02:20 AM
The sultan arrived with little fanfare, though the Ashir seldom travel in groups of fewer than forty, and he had nearly as many children. His people had no clothes for mourning, but blue was worn to show others your esteem -- the darker and richer the dye, the better. Zidan thus came in his deepest blue robe, the color of the desert sky after sundown, and showed no wealth besides that. None of the royals had jewels or gold. Jana was dressed modestly and bound her voluminous hair with a shawl. Harun came without his exotic wife; she had four children now that needed her and Roka still fared poorly on such long rides. The twins Salma and Ayla came by a different way, freshly returned from Mamut. They looked most like Kasha and Ashina when they were younger. Nasrin, Mahira, Naja, Hana, Katja, Qadira, Saida, Jasmin, and Leah made the rest of Zidan's daughters. Ranging from 31 to 16, it was impossible to keep them straight, especially with their keffiyehs drawn up beneath their dark eyes. Kasima the daughter was missing, a young mother now and happily wed to a chieftain on the opposite end of the continent. Kasima, who was mother to the sultan and Shebitku's Ashirian wives, had come though. She had just celebrated her 100th year and nearly looked as ancient as they said, though she walked with a straight back yet. Speaking with her for any length of time revealed most of her mind had gone, but she was very sweet and still knew the faces of her daughters.

Zidan kissed his sisters on their foreheads. They said it was unfair how little he had aged. He told them being their mother's favorite was the key to long life and good health.

He had always respected Shebitku. Zidan couldn't say that he had always liked him, but he was trustworthy in the way that steadfast and predictable men are. An uncomplicated man who wanted beautiful wives, a vast army, and enough grazing land to keep them both happy with meat.

As the Ashir do, they came with gifts for their host. For Ramases, a three year old mare with a steady gait. A good mount for an archer. For Hatshepsut, a pair of curved bronze daggers with onyx pommels. Easily concealed. For Nefertiti, a seven pointed solar pendant made by the Sha priests with a clear piece of quartz at its heart. A shard from the enormous crystal on display at the Temple Al-Sham. For Ketket, a fine camel of most agreeable temperament. A rare trait in camels. For Maat, a single orichalcum arrow head. A small and ominous token from a battlefield in Mamut. For Horus, wooden toys in the likeness of most every animal found in the Sikar. Something a child would like, but educational.

Aedilred
2021-02-03, 08:22 PM
The last few years had opened up a number of opportunities for exploration, and the journey to Highnest with Gusuhaz had reignited in Onodīs his excitement at hearing of his uncle's exploits in far-off lands. There were, he heard, elves in the west, beyond the bitter sands and difficult people of the Ashirian Sultanate. The Bannanda had had as cordial a relationship with the Sirrvadut before their withdrawal from diplomatic circles as any, and to establish a similar relationship with this far-off people might raise the profile of his name, as well as being a marvellous adventure in its own right.

And now they were to select a king? Normally he had little patience for politics but such leadership selections were something he understood. It was not so long since his own candidacy had been pressed - against his wishes - in the succession to his brother. It might be entertaining to see how things were done abroad. And these were elves. There might even be a fight.

His small band could carry little, so there were no great treasures to bestow, but his appearance must have marked him out as a person of import: tall and toned, clad in worn, but clearly fine, dyed robes in something approximating a Sikaran style, wearing his helm with its huge curved horns, his neck bestrung with pearls, and a black iron sword strapped to his hip.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/718323511608868954/800773384211922994/Onodis_screenshot.png

JBarca
2021-02-03, 10:06 PM
For some time now, the Quluq's attention has been split. Internal affairs, with Eae's growing power, have consumed all but moments of the last several years. Eae, the Lucid Ones, and to some extent the Quluq during rare full meetings, have been focused far afield - the new Sanctum has been built and requires near-constant attention.

Thus it is with some surprise that the Quluq receives word from Ta Seti that a great follower of the Path has died. The Pharaoh Shebitku is gone, and the Dolod move to honor his memory. A Lucid One joins in the delegation, along with a dozen priests and scores of others. Nine diplomats, four of which are descendants of Unununu, attend as well, along with a handful of potential replacements for Lsinisl. Though this is first and foremost a funeral, the Dolod do not intend to let the time pass without use if the opportunity arises. While Dolod currently are present in many of Sikar's great civilizations, direct interaction with the Quluq grows ever less frequent. Even the great towers of light can only pass along the simplest of messages, after all.

On arrival, the Dolod pay respects to the family. Many of those present know at least one of the Pharaoh's children, though they do not know the Dolod - a ancestor's memory suffices for the people of Nellen, after all.

Ramses is greeted by two of Unununu's children - their great grandparent knew him in his time with the Ashir. Several priests offer gifts to Hatshepsut - her work against the Mockeries is most appreciated. Unofficially, the priests wish her luck in the coming decision.

Ketket is popular among the merchants, and not only for her nearly Dolod-sounding name. It has been some time, but Olisilo and their mates spoke at length with the Herd Tender many years ago, comparing the worth of certain goods. It is a pleasant memory.

Maat and Horus are unknown to the Dolod present, but they are greeted warmly regardless.

The Dust Walker, though, is approached directly by Sileaelis, the Lucid One. Respects are paid and small gifts given - nothing to remark upon, mere pieces of art created by children who respect her devotion.

The Dolod of note - priests and Lucid One - turn to see the Pharaoh's body. Three Dolod who have lived with the Alodites for some time also come to witness the body, carrying an infant. It is rare for a Dolod so young to be seen by outsiders - they are kept securely indoors until their bodies allow them to keep up with their minds. But this is an important occasion, and the Dolod wish for the Elves to see; the infant is given to the priests to return to Nellen - it will form the basis of a line devoted to sharing the Pharaoh's deeds with the world.

Lleban
2021-02-04, 01:49 AM
Nocturnal Hydra
Queen mother Nephil was elated to see her fellow Nightelves here. Years of work had lead to this moment, admittedly Horus should be a tad older, but she was fully prepared to fight for what was hers. An alliance of day and night, she could rule an empire from the Sur to Kurssal as an immortal god Empress of twilight, all shall love her and despair. But for now, she needed to perform as a widow, a protector.

"My Queen, I'm so happy to see you, my only regret is that such horrible times must bind of together."

The Queen Mother proceeded to embrace Zora whispering

"I'll need your help, endorse Horus as the next Pharoah, I think our safety depends on it."

Zidan

Kasha and Ashina make their way to Zidan as quickly as possible. Or as quickly as they could at their age. In their youth they stood out among the Alodites for their beauty, now, among the elves, they stand out for different reasons. Still, they symbolize the prior generation and walked with the dignity that became of it. Chittering with Kasmina in a string of rapid Ashiric. While she may barely remember or even recognize her daughters it mattered not, more important was the ritual itself, baked in nostalgia more comfortable than the finest silks in the palace, the ever familiar rhythms of interaction would visibly comfort all parties.

After pleasantries, Ashina would deftly split off from her sister to speak to Zidan.

"This isn't like the last succession brother. Shebitku was always far more popular than his sister and we were seen as an asset. Now I'm not sure, the 10 great clans seem intent on forcing us to choose one above the rest in the hopes we destroy each other. Why else would they arrange this farce and deny Ramses his rightful place."

She bowed her head, sighing in relief

"Now that you're here I'm sure they won't have the courage to select that meuling child."

Nefarion Xid
2021-02-04, 03:27 AM
Zidan & Ashina

"These northerners do love their politics, do they not? Feh. Zarhan said his brother would be malak after him, and this was so. When I was thirteen, Baba said I would be malak. Not Omar. And this was so. Omar sulked. He did not plot to cut my throat in the night. Now that I am sultan, I have said that Harun will be sultan after me. None dispute this. The sharifs are quarrelsome sometimes, but who are they to deny my son this? They would not dare. Such insolence. Such scheming. This is not of the Ashir."

Zidan walked out a ways so that he could look to the southern horizon. Something about the air here did not suit his constitution. It was easier to be sultan when the air agreed with you.

"Horus will not be pharaoh. This is to invite Nephil to rule and her rule would favor the night elves. Why not go now to kiss Wuuluu's toes? Submit yourselves as has Khena. No. The clans will not permit this. Some may resent my influence, but I think they like buying my horses more than they would like paying Wuuluu her taxes.

Ramses or Hatshepsut. There is no doubt. I think Shebitku favored Ramses, but Shebitku also favored war on the northern coast as summer waned." Zidan quickly covered his forehead with his fingers. The gesture used to mean that you asked for protection from the evil eye, usually by invoking the talisman worn on your brow. Such talismans had fallen out of favor during Zidan's long rule and now touching your forehead was more a symbol of simply asking for forgiveness when you said or thought something unkind.

"Hatshepsut is clever like my daughters Salma and Ayla. My sweet little vipers. Ramses is bold like his father. I wonder if it is better to have a king who is clever and a general who is bold, rather than a bold king and a clever vizier."

Zidan scratched as his chin for a while, then went to kiss his sister once more on the forehead.

"If you tell me to speak for Ramses, I will do this. If my words do not sway the masters, then I will beat them for you. I could deny my sister nothing. You have not been gone from your family so long to forget our words: I and my brother against our cousin, we three against the stranger. This is of the Ashir."

Lleban
2021-02-04, 10:33 PM
HEN

Ketket inspected the Kiswan, before her, news and rumors of the occasional Kiswan vessel that had been blown past the Hydran coast to ports on the Moonlit Savanna were common. Most Alodite elites paid little attention to what happened on the coast, caring more for their grazing lands in the Meroe basin and its fertile lands. Ketket knew different though, these new people could hold the secret to great wealth.

Ketket approached the mysterious man eyes wider than perhaps she intended.

"Hello, there foreigner, what brings you to this most civilized of places, have you been given proper food and drink? As a guest, we are bound by the laws of hospitality."

Dolod

Nefertiti speaks more to Sileaelis, the Lucid One, eager to thank him.

"Wise Sileaelis, we are so grateful for your gift. Every dolod is a gift among us. I'm grateful that the next pharoah will have an offical witness. For when I stare into the desert,I see great things, great and terrible things."

Nefertiti removes speaks, not with a practicied sincerity, but with a tinge of worry.

"I fear I will need your help Lucid One, for I fear only I can guide the Candake through the dark times to come."

Epinephrine_Syn
2021-02-04, 11:23 PM
The first instinct of the original high elf was to play off her stature, but she quickly suppressed that urge. This sounded serious, like somebody pleading for her life moreso than any kind of formality. She stayed silent for a couple moments, returning the embrace and making sure to speak in a silent tone.

”Of course. I have already come prepared for such a nomination. Although you make it sound like I should have prepared for war. It’s too late for me to bring a worm, though that’d be a bad idea anyway. If it were to come to arrows our best bet would be to flee anyway.“

Zora pondered a little more, taking a survey of the surroundings. It was a solemn occasion to be sure, but tension filled the air. She had a guard, but they were light cavalry. Not much of which would be good if they got surrounded. She knew this situation was dire, more than perhaps any realized, and she was wary of everything.

“How is Horus, anyway? Of sound mind? Of strong body? He may also need to flee, should the Alodites turn on us like that. I have always trusted our elven kin, often with my life. Same goes for the Ashir. My instincts were never wrong on that front. Today… they tell me to trust not a single soul.“

Ivor_The_Mad
2021-02-05, 01:45 PM
Despite the Elves gathering on the borders of their homeland, the leaders of the Sol'Ikoth make their appearance. When they arrive, they make no secret of the distaste they feel towards the elves, but they retain their composure. The death of one as significant as this pharaoh is no small event. 72 years is a long time to gather knowledge. Those well versed in their faith, know what this means, though they doubt that the elves can see it. Followers of the Sun. So blind to its truth, though that is no surprise, the sun may be chaotic but it is no fool. Now it has a new, powerful soul. One more step closer to immolation.

The Son shakes his head, the Sun will be stopped but now is not the time. The soul is gone and the Sun glows a little brighter.
He sighs. The daughter comes to comfort him. She knows that path that must be taken. Soon.

Today he has donned a set of black robes with his father's scepter and pharaoh's headdress. Simple compared to his predecessors. The daughter is also dressed simply, a black dress that seems to terminate in smoke, a golden headdress, and the upside-down ankh charm hanging from her neck

"Such a sad occasion. It is truly unfortunate to meet under the circumstances." He addresses the 7 children "I am sorry for your loss but with this sadness comes the dawn of a new era. With this, I give you a warning, the sun grows stronger, but those who see the truth grow more and more in numbers. My advice to you, wise children of the Pharaoh, don't be blinded by the illusions that the sun casts upon your mind for once they take hold, you are gone. Horrible things live between this world and it is best not to let them out. With every memory of every worshiper, the Sun grows stronger. What do you think will happen when it breaks its chains. No. Instead, you must join the ranks of those who truly wish to see and understand and walk the path of the Ancient Ones long after death. That is your choice. Do not be foolish and meddle with things that you do not fully understand. Even now your army amasses on our borders. I promise that you will have a fight, unlike anything you have seen before. With this, he bows and places a small scroll at the feet of the candidates. It is a simple scroll sealed with a silvery green substance almost like hardened clay.

Aedilred
2021-02-05, 08:19 PM
HEN

Ketket inspected the Kiswan, before her, news and rumors of the occasional Kiswan vessel that had been blown past the Hydran coast to ports on the Moonlit Savanna were common. Most Alodite elites paid little attention to what happened on the coast, caring more for their grazing lands in the Meroe basin and its fertile lands. Ketket knew different though, these new people could hold the secret to great wealth.

Ketket approached the mysterious man eyes wider than perhaps she intended.

"Hello, there foreigner, what brings you to this most civilized of places, have you been given proper food and drink? As a guest, we are bound by the laws of hospitality."

"I have heard tales of the western elves, and have come to see them for myself. I am Onodīs of the Esāla, son of Odilon, brother of Etelīs, both in their time paramount chief of the Bannanda and King of Henanda. My people are friends to the Sirrvadut elves of the east and we hope to extend that friendship to the peoples here.

"I have not yet been offered food and drink but accept it happily. I have brought little of my own but what I have I share."

Nefarion Xid
2021-02-05, 08:50 PM
Sol'Koth with Ta Seti and Ashirian Royal Family

There was a blue blur of motion from the nearby sea of Ashirian princesses. As the Son of Sol'koth left his scroll at the dais for the Alodite royals, one of the robed woman stood behind him even as he straightened his back. His head returned to its regal, elevated position just as she whipped her hand through the air, catching him on the ear and sending the his regalia toppling to the ground several feet away. Before the boy could wonder which god had decided to smite him, she had her fingers pinched around his ear. This technique had been passed from mother to mother across the generations to correct ill behaved children.

Onlookers soon realized the angry mother was none other than Jana, the sultan's wife and a woman with four decades and fifteen children worth of experience in such matters. The Dawnspeakers also considered her to be an angel or immortal saint of their religion.

"Who raised you, child?" she hissed in his ear, squeezing harder. "Does your mother know you to speak blasphemies at the funerals of kings? Go and join the other god-men barking in the market square, but do not say such things here to children who grieve their father! Beg Ramses's forgiveness for your poor manners. Then go to your mother and do the same. I hope she pinches your ear off so your silly headdress never sits straight again!"

Ivor_The_Mad
2021-02-05, 09:44 PM
The Son looked up stunned. "Y- y-. What. Why would you strike me? I am a Pharaoh and for your information, I have no mother. You- The sister interrupts, appalled by her brother's behavior. "IF YOU ARE A PHARAOH THEN ACT LIKE ONE! Unlike her brother, she inherited her father's skill for careful words and wisdom. She grabbed him by his cloak "I offer my sincerest apologies wise Jana because it seems my brother has no sense of what is appropriate in such a setting. I hope your actions knocked some sense into him. with this she glares at him so fiercely, the guests can physically feel her anger. She shoves her brother at the feet of the elves. He looks around in utter shock. No one had talked like this to him or treated him in such a way. The past four years of his life, he had grown without parents and nothing but visions and advisors to guide him. He was totally at a loss. For what felt like hours he just stared open mouth at the elves "uhhh... I. uhh. well. I. Noblest Elves. uhh. The tim- *Kick* "I mean. uhh. Noblest elves, I am... truly sorry for my actions. I have stepped out of line. I- I shall leave With a hasty bow he turns, stumbled, gathered his fallen headress, and leaves the funeral hall.
The Daughter slumps back in her seat.

JBarca
2021-02-05, 10:14 PM
The delegation from Nellen begins closing ranks as the Son speaks, forming a bloc of angry Dolod, staring at the blasphemer. Just as the Lucid One is mustering the words to speak, the sound of flesh on flesh brings them up short. As the Champion handles the Son, the Dolod nods, seemingly pleased, and return to their conversations.

Nefertiti

Sileaelis nods tilts their head gravely. "You will have it, of course. We speak with the voice of Eae, the voice of the Quluq. We are here to lend our support for you, trusting that your leadership will serve best the interests of Emnellenme and the followers of the Path. We set the spiritual authority of the Quluq behind you, and will inform any we must of this fact.

"Dark times are coming, there is no question. But Eae yet Dreams and learns. We plan to seek unity with those who will accept it. Together, the people of Ardra will manage whatever the Erasers and their minions can muster. Have faith, Dust Walker."

Foreigners (Onodis)

Two Dolod - a priest and one who bears no indication as to their role - approach Onodis, eyes wide.

"We are sad we are not speaking with you at Highnest, but are pleased to be meeting you now. We are Isilisi and Gig, of Nellen. Do you travel to witness?"

Nefarion Xid
2021-02-06, 02:52 AM
Jana Al-Zamira gave the Daughter a long appraising look and a shallow nod. This was at least proper behavior, though she could no begin to guess at what went on inside the girl's head. The Sol'Ikoth were a strange people. Inscrutable, except to those in the far east, it seemed.

"When the old masters have made their choice, the new pharaoh will hear you," Jana said to the girl, then turned back to Ramses and the others. She gave an awkward smile, more sympathetic than apologetic for the disturbance, then bowed her head before retreating into the cluster of similar women. One of the princesses covered her ears and several of her sisters giggled.

Lleban
2021-02-06, 09:36 PM
SKO

Hatshepsut looks on the Sol' Koth Pharoah with all the tiredness of a teacher dealing with a disruptive pupil, though with none of the empathy. With a hand over her face, she chose her words slowly and deliberately. In Alodite culture, the denial of eye contact or shielding one face is a signal of revulsion.

"Because you've apologized, your people will be spared for the crime of desecrating a sacred ritual."

"If you continue to desecrate to the home of the one true Pharoah, I shall personally have your deligation blinded."

Hatshepsut briefly removes her hand from her face to briefly scan the Sol'Koth settling her gaze on the daughter.

"Except you, you shall keep your eye to guide the blind back to your cursed desert."

HYD
Nephil took Zora to sit under a date tree to continue speaking further.

"Horus is a strong boy, really he runs everywhere, his tutors love him. He's kind to the other children and the smile, Hell, he even strang his first bow the other day. He has the potential to be truly great Zora, I don't want him to run I want him to rule."

Looking at Zora's expression continued

"Even if we lose today, the army of the Alodites is that of a paper Lion, the days of Nefekare the Undefeated are long gone, if they run us out of Kerma, The Hydra's coils could easily place me Horus on the throne."

HEN

"Oh, surely for someone to travel this far and comport themselves with this much dignity, you seem to be by far the wisest of the Kiswans! Feel free to make yourself at home."

ASH

Ashina thinks deeply about her choices.
"Zidan it must be Hatshepsut, mustn't it. She has proven to be the only of our children to continue the line."

Ashina put a silk cloth to her face, in a bid to maintain her composure.

"I don't want to see Ramses like this, never again Zidan, he is my morning son."

Ashina

Nefarion Xid
2021-02-07, 10:52 PM
Zidan & Ashina

"Then I will recommend Ramses take the command of the garrison at Tasathhi. There, he may train your archers and your riders. It is an honorable position and of great importance, but I do not think he would see battle. He will be safe." The sultan chuckled in spite of himself and added, "Well, the fortress did fall once."

A good battle. Not so long ago as to be legend, but, of the commanders, only Zidan yet lived.

"Shebitku is gone too soon. I will miss him. As far as brothers-in-marriage go, I could have done much worse. Have you seen the strange things that come out of the far east? Feh. May the gods curse me with such sons-in-marriage as Shebitku!"

Zidan was quiet for a while and again turned to look south. The Ashirian royal court was a raucous affair and his family large. He was used to more noise after he made jokes.

"I will tell the masters that Hatshepsut has my support. She has a level head and she is not too proud to remain silent when silence is wise. These are good traits for a queen. She has already two daughters, by an elf who is well regarded -- this will please the clans who are wary of being influenced by the ways of the Ashir. Nefertiti will be happy in the priesthood. Ramses will be honored as commander of the garrison. Ketket will be a good vizier. Horus... I think you must send Horus and his mother away. Return them to the night elves. It is not their way to dispute his weak claim, but they would be most aggrieved if harm came to him or Nephil."

Lleban
2021-02-09, 11:55 PM
Ashina sighed with relief before responding

"Thank you brother, your word means more than you expect. Some here believe you to be the last relic of the greatest generation of leaders. As for Horus, he will have to be exiled, the rebellion of Isis shows that the fewer claimants to the throne the better. Better a merciful sentence now than being crucified at the city gates."

Curious, Ashina wondered what Zidan meant, most from Kiswa were traders. They weren't present threats like the Hydra, and most of their wars seemed so far away.

"Who are these Easterlings assailing you, are they another wave of blightspawn?"

Aedilred
2021-02-10, 08:36 PM
SKO

"Oh, surely for someone to travel this far and comport themselves with this much dignity, you seem to be by far the wisest of the Kiswans! Feel free to make yourself at home."

His eyes twinkled at the compliment. He knew she was flattering him, but what sort of hero would he be if he couldn't bask in praise? "Oh, there are some who are wiser than me. My brother was one wiser, and my nephew is another who is wiser. But few are they who are so well-travelled, and still fewer who are so strong-at-arms, and none who are more nobly-born. I shall speak well of Ta Seti on my return and I hope it leads to -" he paused, searching for a word -"rich? relations between us. In the meantime, I am very grateful for your hospitality."

Onodīs wandered the gathering, making polite conversation and gauging what was happening, gradually identifying the various candidates for the throne and their various characters. Once the small talk was done and he could avoid the lead players in this drama no longer, he approached Zidan and bowed deeply.

"Great Sultan," he said, speaking slowly and loudly, to ensure his words, no doubt curiously accented to the Sikarans, were comprehensible. "I stand in your presence an honoured man. In Kiswa we hear tales of the mighty-Sultanate which rules half the west. In the name of my nephew Oniyellīs I greet you, in comparison to yours, whose kingdom pales.

"The death of King Shebitku was tragic but we must look to the future. You must be pleased, to know that Hatsheput will soon be queen and all the armies of the Alodites under your banner will be gathered."

Nefarion Xid
2021-02-10, 10:45 PM
Zidan with Queen Ashina

"A relic?" Zidan huffed, throwing back the edges of his robe to rest his hands on his hips. He looked more like a man of fifty, though some would still say fifty was old.

"I don't feel like a relic. Gothek is older! Though she has ruled for less time. Ignore that her kind are so long lived. The night elves live long too, but they go through queens like I go through sandals."

As the Ashir spent little time with their feet on the ground, sandals did tend to last a decade.

"The peoples are many and diverse, beyond the eastern mountains. Many are as the men of the Vesparre, all dark of flesh with shorn heads. Many serve monsters. The Vygra I like. They are a clever sort and talented smiths. We make the heads of our lances now after their fashion.

The Dhraan are monstrous of stature with the visage of the crocodile. The veiled sisters say that they are civilized, but I say they exaggerate. My daughters have seen their lands; they say that they have a million slaves to grow the food that barely sates their vast hunger. Better to grow cereals for horses. Horses cannot sling great stones, but I trust horses to not eat me when I sleep in my tent.

My daughters have seen the Blemmy. Harun too. He says they are the worst by far, and ashta hazid, I say I believe him. Ugly and short, like the Dolod. Not half as pleasant. Worse than barbarians. No thoughts but what they can spare to bang their clubs together and scream. They have no heads and thus no brains. Their eyes grow from chest instead, so behind their eyes there is only a heart to move their blood and lungs to draw breath. Their kind has no women, so to make more of themselves they lay with animals. After some months, their foul spawn chews their way free, killing whatever sorry thing that bore them. They are ill fashioned in the rough shape of a man, but they are more like the botfly. I think they must be blighted. Some woeful line of men cursed to become monsters or else monsters made to look like men to mock us.

The Black Pharaoh is among them now, studying the ways of their heathen gods. If he returns with these blasphemies, the minds of the Sol'Ikoth will be poisoned. I do not begrudge them the worship of their forsaken old gods. But, if the night elf queen sanctions such things...

Feh. I will counsel her against such things, and I will say the same to Hatshepsut."

Zidan with Onodīs, later

"Ashta hazid. I say to you, here stands Onodīs, the wisest and most honorable man of the East I have ever met. A shala elem." Zidan bowed his head and turned out the palms of his hands. The greeting of the Ashir was polite, but quite literal. To be at peace meant that you had no need of weapons. A man on foot would show he held no knife and a man on horseback would shoulder his spear.

Zidan had been fortunate to overhear the name of the foreigner. He truly could not tell him from Adamu but for the strange accent and stranger dress.

"I am flattered, but truly, the lands of the sultanate are but a third of the Sikar. And, though Hatsheput is the daughter of my dear sister, and we may say she is of the Ashir, the armies of the candake are her own. Though, Hatshepsut is wise, so she will hear the counsel of her venerable uncle, the sultan. Thus, I hope to never find her ten thousand archers pointed at me!"

Zidan with Zora, much later

As the day wore on, the sultan eventually made the rounds to Zora, whom he greeted in the traditional way before extending many wishes of good health for Wuuluu. His consort hovered nearby, trying to look disinterested in what the two had to say to each other. Jana lacked the guile of her daughters. Zidan soon got to the point.

"I heard what the Son of Oraket had to say. Now, I care not which gods people worship, just as I do not tell them what seeds to plant on their land. It makes no difference to me as long as the taxes are paid. I am accused sometimes of being wise, but I do not know what soil is best for lentils and what soil is best for wheat. I say wisdom is to let the sheikhs who are wise do as they think is best.

Our hosts are different from the Ashir. We say our prayers as the sun sets, they as the sun rises. They eat the flesh of their honored dead. We leave our fallen on the dunes for the scavengers now as in the time of Eshara. I do not say to our hosts that their ways are wrong.

What was said to Shebitku's children was most unkind. Undignified. Jana was right to strike this Son of Oraket, but I could not begrudge the boy his beliefs, and what he says in his prayers is between him and his gods. It is the same for your queen.

I have always known the night elves to be wise and honorable. This is why not once have the Ashir failed to send aid when your people have need.

The Son of Oraket dishonors himself at a funeral. The Black Pharaoh has gone to seek wisdom from the headless murderers at the end of the world and from the Sewune who are feckless thieves. They came armed into my lands. They butchered people who were under my protection. Even now Oyem goes from village to village, murdering shepherds and taking what little silver they have. The Sewune have stolen from us and they will steal from you as well. This is what the Black Pharaoh studies now, this barbarism that they call the way of heroes. This is the poison that will be poured into the ears of the Son and Daughter of Oraket and they will bring that same poison to your queen.

I beg you, give the queen good and solemn counsel. Do not let her be influenced by these savages. The Black Pharaoh will return soon and he will say this is the new way the queen must follow. The Sewune will lie and say to the queen that it was the Bahith-al-Zael or the Crow or the Alodites who tried to poison her. Then the headless men will say to the queen to wage war on the candake and the sultanate, and to murder the sun worshipers. Give the queen good counsel. The Hydra is strong; she should not bow to these vile eastern dogs.

You have known me since I was a boy, Zora. In all my days, have I ever wished for anything from the Hydra but to be a strong and resolute ally in the north?"

Epinephrine_Syn
2021-02-11, 05:00 AM
Zora and Nephil

“I hope what you say is true, and a part of me believes it. But the Alodites are strong elves regardless of who leads them, and while I would trust us to best them, I wouldn’t trust it to be as easy as you make it sound.” Zora took a seated posture, recording the events, closing her eyes for a moment. Seemingly fearless of whatever might suddenly try to strike her in the moment.

“Ultimately, I want to try to sway him to the throne. Sincerely do the best on that. Though in the end it will be up to Horous whether he wants to fight for his kingdom or whether he wants to run for a better chance later on. I wasn’t too much older than he when I first united the Night Elves, though the goal for both of you here would be a much more fearsome fight.”

Zora and Zidan

She’d said goodbye to Nephil a while back, told her to let Horus know what was going on. Most importantly, to ask his opinion. This was his kingdom, after all. If he wanted to fight for it to the death, she would not deny him that by strong-arming him into leaving. As well as to assess the situation, because a lot of this depended on how much they would convince their fellow elves.

That was many what-we-would-call-hours ago. At this moment, Zora and Zidan stood face to face, and she heard him out patiently. He had a lot to say, and she had a scribe taking notes of the most important bits. It was something she’d started doing in her years to keep track of things, and on important occasions it was a distraction from the real record-keeper, her Dolod courtier.

“… first. I will utterly condemn what the Son did without reservation. He has a legitimate grievance, but that was a declaration of war and not at all fit to ceasing hostilities. That was a message sharply tuned for insult, not as a genuine means of negotiation. Thankfully the women of Sikar seem much better on those matters, and that he had the wisdom to bring one with him.”

“Secondly, I will agree with you that these matters sicken me.” It took her a little to speak, she seemed like she took a while to concisely come up with the response. But that was always something Zora did, not specific to the high importance matters right now. “I admit to having heard precious little of outside politics in the last decade, I have been busy with my own affairs.“

”Yet none of it I hear is good, and even I in my isolation have heard much. I’ve yet to see one of these creatures myself, but they seem… awful. Revolting. As much as one cares about that sort of thing. But you make it sound like they may try that infestation on my kingdom and not just some cows in a neighbors pasture, and that I will not stand for.“

“I’ve always been apathetic to matters of faith. With all that has happened in Sikar both near and far I can no longer claim them to be false, although I think they take a much different shape than many believe. Wuuluu believes she can tame the gods like I tamed the worms and you tamed your horses, control the flow like irrigation feeds our crops. I’ve always admired that moxie, it’s the same vigor I hold, but on even greater game.“

“Yet, she may lose that contest.” The night elf paused, staring up into the night sky. “I do not promise to know anything, or even much at all. Often times I feel like I brought the night elves to glory not by my own merit, but by pure stupid luck. But I do promise this. I will give the queen… Solemn Counsel.”

Zora was slow to speak on this part, figuring out the exact Ashiran phrasing for ‘Solemn Counsel’ to indicate specific force behind the words. “And I promise to personally condemn the blight upon your lands. Even if Oyem has legitimate grievances, it would be as if you spat on my face, and I went to wring a Dolod’s neck.”

Later in the night…

Later on, during the dead of night and the moon’s gaze, Zora waits to meet with Nephil again in the place of Nephil’s convenience. And perhaps Horus too will be arriving. They had much to discuss.

Aedilred
2021-02-11, 09:15 AM
Zidan

Onodīs mirrored the palms-out gesture of the Sultan, vaguely remembering being told this was a sign of peace. Not that he needed weapons for violence: he had slain both blightspawn and men with his bare hands, but it was pointless to question custom.

"You flatter me, but you are modest for one so great. All know that the word of Zidan holds sway with kings across Sikar, and even the savages of Thunder to his wisdom bow. That Hatshepsut is a loyal daughter, it pleases me. When a child disrespects their parents, it is a terrible thing. My sister, she was a frivolous one and did not heed our father. She married a beast of the rivers, a troll. Later she took her own life in despair." He shook his head sadly. "I know this you would not allow. It is good that Hatshepsut is obedient."

Zora

Onodīs approached the Hydran elf and bowed, showing his hands in the way he had observed. "Hellos from Kiswa, lady, though you are familiar with Kiswa now, I think. I was sorry when I heard about Wuuluu. She is I hope well now?

"The Alodites are -" he paused, trying to think of a word -"more open of mind than the elves of the east. The Sirrvadut dislike humans. They would not tolerate a ruler who was not an elf. But I hear the next Pharaoh will be Ashir." He lowered his voice slightly but still spoke slowly. "[COLOR="#000080"]If I may advise, I do not think the next Pharaoh will tolerate a rival such as Horus to remain. He is full elven and some would say he has the best claim. Look to Arrēsa and see what happens to an heir who is unwanted. She rests uneasy a prisoner in a foreign tower."

Epinephrine_Syn
2021-02-12, 01:38 AM
Onodīs and Zora

"I have not had much to do with the Kiswan affairs, so I do not know you well. Yet I still know the language, and it is very nice to meet you in person." She paused, thinking a little. It was a soft wind for today, like the gusts themselves were being quiet in the wake of a funeral. Or like they were preparing for many more.

"In any case, no, Wuuluu is not well. I will allow Horus to return with me, if he so chooses and if he is not given his throne. But I will not twist his arm. The choice will be his whether to flee with me, or whether to stand and resist. I do not expect him to come to grievous harm, the elves have always been on good terms."

Her tone became a little more serious, although since her tone was always serious that wasn't too much of a shift. "However in recent years I find the difference between ally and enemy blurring. It's a messy affair, and so you may be right that they will make sincere attempts on his life."

Nefarion Xid
2021-02-12, 03:00 AM
Zidan with Onodīs

The sultan's brow knit and he reached out to put a hand on the man's shoulder. He had reigned long and devoted much of his life to war and philosophy, but Zidan had also been a loving father for forty years. "I am sorry to hear of your sister. I could not permit one of my daughters to marry the Dhraan, though the Truthseers suggested as much. I could not bear the thought of them being unhappy and so far from their family. I suppose I am blessed to have daughters who trust my judgement. Eeeh, obedient is not the right word. I would not even want an obedient horse. To do the right thing for the right reasons, this is wisdom, not obedience. When I give good counsel, you should listen because I am right, not because I am sultan. If my counsel is wrong... well, such a thing may happen one day."

As old men are wont to do, Zidan ushered his new friend in the direction of his family, a cluster of women in charcoal and azure robes. Modesty, it was said, was not a virtue of the Ashir, but in foreign lands it was considered prudent to not draw undue attention to yourself -- no more attention at least than riding a horse and belonging to a party of forty or more. At home, the women wore short tunics to expose their stomachs, and they did not tie down their long black hair with scarves. The princesses would have been draped with gold and gems as well, all the best of the taxes the Sha paid to the sultan. Such displays were considered to be in poor taste for a somber occasion.

"This is Jana, my beloved," Zidan said. "The mother of all my children. They call her Al-Zamira, which means The Jewel, for she is the best among us. The best rider. The best warrior." These things were the same word in Ashiric. Before their loanwords, warriors who did not ride were just called barbarians.

The woman looked to be half Zidan's age, and the sultan looked younger than he was. She was the one who had abused the Sol'Ikoth boy earlier. As she was every bit as lovely as rumors claim, one might suspect her nickname to be more a compliment on her beauty than her skill. After all, she was shorter than people said, even an inch or two shy of most of her daughters. One might imagine she was a good rider, but she hardly seemed capable of hurling a stone tipped javelin through an orc's chest.

Jana gave a shallow but polite bow, saying, "A shala elem."

Zidan clapped his guest on the shoulder again and announced confidently, "This is Onodīs, son of Odilon. From the far East. Of the most respectable Banana People."

Zidan & Zora

"Oyem has no legitimate grievance," Zidan corrected sharply. "It was the human warrior Gusuhaz that brought an army of rabble to the foot of Highnest and screamed for the blood of Kro. And for what? For a princess who was always free to leave and charter a ship to take her home. If, as Gusuhaz said, Arrēsa was taken against her will, then Arrēsa would have been aggrieved and it would have been Arrēsa who received justice! Women are not property! They may speak for themselves! Arrēsa was free to leave. Gusuhaz was offered hospitality and refused. Gusuhaz was offered gold and safe travels home. He refused! Gusuhaz then returned to murder and pillage!"

The sultan's voice had grown quite loud. Having received the account of events from his son Harun, who said he feared for his life even after setting aside his weapon.

"Gusuhaz is merely a savage brute who was raised by monsters. Oyem is one of their accursed headless masters. Now it is Oyem who plunders my lands, burns by villages, and ****s my goats! Condemn him? Feh. I should hope your queen at least issues a sharp rebuke of goat ****ing! At least the goats will sleep soundly!"

Epinephrine_Syn
2021-02-12, 10:00 PM
”I did not say Oyem had legitimate grievance.” Zora could have elaborated further, but she was smiling and letting that little snippet suffice to state her position on that matter. He was screaming at her, and yet her voice remained level and steady. Hands behind her back, not at all acting threatened. “Regardless, I do not think words from distant night elves are the remedy to ail your goats of their night terrors.”

“It will take you, as sultan, coming down and forcing them out of your lands. I would hope, should these monsters be as bad as you say.” Zora paused, squinting with a grossed out expression. “… do they really **** goats, geez. I would call it baseless slander common in wartime, were it not coming straight from you.” She shook her head to ponder, and to move on from her incredulity.

”In any case, I would hope that you plan to hunt down this Oyem, and raise his head on a pike. You certainly have the fire to take him on even in your age, the sun has been very kind to you.“

Nefarion Xid
2021-02-12, 10:41 PM
"Forgive me for my tone," Zidan grumbled to himself. His consort slipped her hand around his waist and that seemed to calm him. He carried on in a lower voice. "The east brings many horrors to the Sikar and I fear I am powerless. Your queen poisoned. Will I be next? Will they target my family instead? If I could ride out and face Oyem in an open field, he would be dead. Things are not so simple. I can kill fanatics and monsters. What can I do against vile conspiracy? I saw suspicion in your eyes when I approached you. That is the prize, Zora. If we mistrust each other, if we war among ourselves. That is what they want."

JBarca
2021-02-14, 12:09 AM
Despite having mostly stayed out of the discussions and arguments happening around them, the Dolod were actively listening to all that happens at the funeral.

It is on the last day, however, that they all move to the north, gathering to wait. In the evening, a new party approaches from the direction of the coast. Several Dolod carry a makeshift litter, on which lies a second Lucid One. Despite their unconscious state, they seem at ease, even happy. A small group approaches the head of the original delegation, and a quiet conversation is held.

Blinking Rapidly, the Lucid One finds a place to speak to the Alodites who are in charge of selecting the next ruler. They stand with head tilted back, and make an announcement. They are loud and full of pride, knowing that all who gather here will grow to appreciate the True Dawn yet more for the power displayed by its great spirits.

"Heirs to the late Pharaoh. Grand Prince Zidan. Nobles. Clans. Visitors from far and wide. Today, Emnellenme has blessed us all. A great working is being done to the north.

"The Dolod know of a piece of the sun that is falling to Ardra. They are using this holy shard to create tools. They are searching for more. Mere months ago, we found it. The source of the Sunrock, a great deposit far into the ocean.

"Using the natural ability of Emnellenme and Crow's willingness to cause change, we are bringing this deposit to the surface, in its full glory. And with it, we are bringing a new land. Vast, untamed, and open. We are doing this as a gift for the wise and respected Pharaoh Nerfertiti, -" a pointed pause, as the Lucid One looks to the assembled clans, before bowing their head toward the Dust Walker, "- May her reign be worthy of witnessing. We only ask that we be allowed to mine the Sunrock once you have established your rule there.

"Enmellenme watch over you all."