PDA

View Full Version : Armorer weapons before level 9

Silpharon
2021-02-02, 01:01 AM
I'm thinking through whether a sub-10 armorer ever makes sense. It may be better to be another subclass then switch into armorer later via the new Tasha rules.The problems I see are:

1) Depending on DM reading, you might be able to infuse your weapon before level 9.
2) If you do infuse your weapon, again depending on DM reading, you may or may not be able to infuse your armor.
3) Prior to level 9, you can not have magic boots, gauntlets, or any other armor piece since the arcane armor covers all of your body. After level 9 you can get winged boots at least, but only as an infusion.

I would love to multiclass a lower level armorer, but I'm coming up dry on how it could be done effectively in later tiers. The best I can see is through Kensai monk's "sharpen the blade" level 11 feature which can provide up to +3 hit/dmg. Using magic weapon or elemental weapon seem a waste compared to other concentration spells (haste, bless, etc).

Thoughts? In light of multiclassing, what are ways a sub-9/10 armorer could be built such that it's not outclassed by the battle smith late game?

Dork_Forge
2021-02-02, 03:50 AM
If you want to avoid multiclassing then you don't really have much left to you but feats and racial options:

-Martial Adept (you'll need a martial weapon from a race): This is probably the best feat for you, you can infuse your weapon and then use Defense to get an AC bump still, use Archery to bump your Lightning Launcher to hit or grab TWF for the Thunder Gauntlet DW combo

-Dual Wielder: This will give you an additional attack (sans mod damage) for your gauntlets and help compensate for the loss of a shield/infused armor

-Sharpshooter: Pretty self explanatory, you don't need to use the +10/-5 for it to be benficial

-Goblin: Fury of the Small is a nice little bit of burst damage and on the Infiltrator helps give more of that Rogue feel

-Aasimar: You need to give up your action on one turn, but you get your level in damage and depending on choice get concentrationless flight

Just some options off the top of my head, but you don't really sacrifice much if you go for a dip of one level vs the Battle Smith:

Rogue: Expertise and a die of Sneak for the launcher (after 5th level this switching to Rogue is a pretty competitive damage option for an Infiltrator main)

Fighter: A fighting style as with Martial Adept, but with an extra hit point and Second Wind, good for building out a tank Guardian

War Cleric: Access to bonus action attacks with your weapons and Divine Favor to add 1d4 per attack, all in one level dip. Off load Bless etc. from your prepared Artificer spells onto your Cleric list.

Droppeddead
2021-02-02, 05:47 AM
I'm thinking through whether a sub-10 armorer ever makes sense. It may be better to be another subclass then switch into armorer later via the new Tasha rules.The problems I see are:

1) Depending on DM reading, you might be able to infuse your weapon before level 9.
2) If you do infuse your weapon, again depending on DM reading, you may or may not be able to infuse your armor.
3) Prior to level 9, you can not have magic boots, gauntlets, or any other armor piece since the arcane armor covers all of your body. After level 9 you can get winged boots at least, but only as an infusion.

I would love to multiclass a lower level armorer, but I'm coming up dry on how it could be done effectively in later tiers. The best I can see is through Kensai monk's "sharpen the blade" level 11 feature which can provide up to +3 hit/dmg. Using magic weapon or elemental weapon seem a waste compared to other concentration spells (haste, bless, etc).

Thoughts? In light of multiclassing, what are ways a sub-9/10 armorer could be built such that it's not outclassed by the battle smith late game?

It is perfectöy possible to wear boots and gauntlets underneath even full plate armour.

That said, I'm not sure what the actual problem is? If you want pure damage output, go for cantrips, if you want utility, go for utility spells. I'd say that the battle smith will probably always be the best artificer, but a lot of that is personal preference.

MrCharlie
2021-02-02, 11:51 AM

If the DM rules you can't do 1), don't play armorer in any circumstances. I mean seriously, they've screwed you, and nothing in the rules supports that interpretation-the gauntlets are weapons for you and thus targetable with enhanced offense.

If the DM rules 2), which seems correct, just infuse your shield. Armorer should basically always use that shield proficiency as their weapons are one-handed and they always have either a free hand or an infused weapon in one hand, and enhanced defense is just as effective on the shield. You lose out on 1 AC versus a "normal" artificer whom is using repulsion shield and enhanced defense, and you make up for it with plate armor.

3) I see no reason you can't just take off the items it comes with an put on new magical ones, or wear magical items under the built in components. You're still wearing a complete set or armor and magic items autofit (I think that's still lore). All that said, there aren't many magical gauntlets worth wearing, only a few helmets worth wearing (some of which are infusions), leaving only the boots as a real loss.

Darth Credence
2021-02-02, 12:30 PM
I do not have an opinion on this, but I'm glad you made the thread. The artificer in my game just told me they want to switch to armorer when they hit level 9. I'm OK with that, and we even worked out a way that it makes sense in the world with a full quest to do so. I'm guessing that some of the issues that will be brought up here relate.