PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on a better spell...

freakybeak
2021-02-02, 04:10 AM
So, I've just hit level 7 on my Hexblade and I'm looking to take Shadow of Moil and Dimension Door. Shadow of Moil is pretty much non negotiable, but i'm thinking maybe there is a more fun/useful option than Dimension Door....

Other spells are: Hex, Mirror Image, Blink, Counterspell, Hypnotic Pattern and Darkness (which I'll sub out for whatever I choose)

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts on what might work better for a melee focussed warlock in a party with a Barb, Bard and Cleric.

Kane0
2021-02-02, 04:38 AM
D-door is great, i’d say keep it. Bonus points if you bring a friend

Edit: sickening radiance is notably strong but if you’re prinarily concerned with melee its probably skippable

Galithar
2021-02-02, 04:42 AM
Just popped in to say if you're a small race drop d-door and never look back unless your entire party is also small. Maybe a slight exaggeration to call it useless on small races, but it loses a lot of its oomph if you can't take someone with you.

Contrast
2021-02-02, 06:28 AM
Don't forget to think about lower level spells that upcast well.

Hold Person is a lot less risky now than it was at level 3 as your DC has increased and one of the 3 targets is probably gonna fail the save (depends how commonly you fight humanoids though of course). Invisibility for 3 people can change sneaking dynamics drastically. Fly on two people gives you huge mobility options (and in some fights may be key in activing the barbarians ability to contribute meaningfully). I've seen people have fun with the new Tashas Summon spells.

Banishment is also a good 4th level spell and fills a reasonable gap in your spell list.

That all said, Shadow of Moil and Dimension Door are both also good picks. So take whatever appeals most.

clash
2021-02-02, 07:54 AM
I mean the great thing about dimension door is it's out if combat utility on a class that recharges on short rests. Whenever your exploring without a real time crunch you can use it to bypass all sorts of obstacles without any real cost.

MrStabby
2021-02-02, 09:48 AM
Never leave home without banishment.

It is a fantastic control spell, realtively rare save, it upcasts well and it has an effect different to your other spells letting you fill a new role. It doesn't have the weaknesses of other spells that are rendered useless by immunity to charm or to fear or whatever. Simple and effective.

KorvinStarmast
2021-02-02, 09:53 AM
Never leave home without banishment. My celestial warlock heartily endorses this message. Banishment is a great spell. :smallsmile:

PhantomSoul
2021-02-02, 10:10 AM
Just popped in to say if you're a small race drop d-door and never look back unless your entire party is also small. Maybe a slight exaggeration to call it useless on small races, but it loses a lot of its oomph if you can't take someone with you.

I definitely second this (having played small wizards) -- misty step might not get you the same distance, but it being a bonus action is great If going for an action teleportation spell and Xanny's is an option, Thunder Step is a nice pick for a (melee) hexblade (and even gives a creature-carry in a pinch), at spell L5 Steel Wind Strike can also accomplish some of the same common in-combat goals for teleportation (but is more combat-restricted unless you see a bat on top of the ledge that really wasn't too high up, and you can't be bound).

Falconcry
2021-02-02, 11:38 PM
Nice to bring out a friend with Summon Aberration.

“Hi guys this is Carl. He is Cthulhu‘s fourth cousin on his Mother’s side.

Frogreaver
2021-02-03, 12:18 AM
So many combat focused spells.

Invisibility, fly, dimension door, suggestion, dispel magic, major image, hallucinatory terrain are the kinds of spells i'd be focused on.

The best choice really depends on your campaign, party size, etc.

KillingTime
2021-02-03, 10:27 AM
Armour of Agathys?
Stacks nicely with Shadows of Moil to make you a very spikey tank.

freakybeak
2021-02-03, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. Some food for thought before next sesh...

Bardon
2021-02-05, 12:16 AM
Never leave home without banishment.

It is a fantastic control spell, realtively rare save, it upcasts well and it has an effect different to your other spells letting you fill a new role. It doesn't have the weaknesses of other spells that are rendered useless by immunity to charm or to fear or whatever. Simple and effective.

The only drawback to Banishment is that pesky material component: "An item distasteful to the target"

You need a bit of a selection, there are very few things that are universally distasteful that you can conveniently carry around with you.

Galithar
2021-02-05, 01:08 AM
The only drawback to Banishment is that pesky material component: "An item distasteful to the target"

You need a bit of a selection, there are very few things that are universally distasteful that you can conveniently carry around with you.

Except you can just replace it with a focus/component pouch. Material components without a cost are basically fluff. Except for the mechanical implications that they have material components to begin with.

Ettina
2021-02-05, 08:41 AM
Except you can just replace it with a focus/component pouch. Material components without a cost are basically fluff. Except for the mechanical implications that they have material components to begin with.

Many DMs rule that focuses can't replace the more esoteric components like the ones needed for banishment and summon greater demon and such.

Bloodcloud
2021-02-05, 08:47 AM

Poop. If it does not work you at least have blackmail material because you figured their poop fetish.

Galithar
2021-02-05, 09:00 AM
Many DMs rule that focuses can't replace the more esoteric components like the ones needed for banishment and summon greater demon and such.

I mean, yes, DMs can ignore the written rules, but that doesn't effect anything unless you have that DM that chooses to ignore the written rules.

mistajames
2021-02-05, 02:58 PM
Summon Greater Demon is good fun, and quite potent. Lots of good CR5 demons. that do loads of damage. Control and control is optional - it will continue attacking the closest non-Demon target for 1d6 rounds after concentration drops. Tanarukk in particular is crazy good.

Summon Aberration does really nice damage to supplement your own. 2 extra psychic ranged attacks with your Bonus Action at 1d8+7 (or 2d6/round + 2*(1d8+7) is quite good.

Dimension Door/Banishment are both excellent.

Tons of good options.

Falconcry
2021-02-05, 11:18 PM
Summon Greater Demon is good fun, and quite potent. Lots of good CR5 demons. that do loads of damage. Control and control is optional - it will continue attacking the closest non-Demon target for 1d6 rounds after concentration drops. Tanarukk in particular is crazy good.

Summon Aberration does really nice damage to supplement your own. 2 extra psychic ranged attacks with your Bonus Action at 1d8+7 (or 2d6/round + 2*(1d8+7) is quite good.

Tons of good options.

Actually you are thinking of the Ranger Primal Companion or Drake. The Summon aberration only requires verbal non action command to attack. So you get your action, bonus action and the damage of you Tasha’s Summon.

J.C.
2021-02-06, 05:05 AM
Have you considered Summon Greater Demons?

Tanarii
2021-02-06, 08:36 AM
Sub out mirror image for sure. Maybe Blink as well.

freakybeak
2021-02-07, 04:21 AM
Sub out mirror image for sure. Maybe Blink as well.

I'd gladly do so, but my understanding is that you can only sub out one spell per level up, right?

Avonar
2021-02-07, 11:17 AM

Tons of good options.

Summon Greater Demons is great. Drop a Chasme on someone, time for bed.