PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Two exit portable hole / portable tunnel?

aglondier
2021-02-03, 08:55 AM
Portable holes are great, but what if you could open the other end?

Our PCs are going on the road for the first time and I am looking for a way to keep in touch with our home base.

I'm thinking of something like an airlock, one end of the tunnel can be open at a time. Perhaps the mobile end is like a traditional portable hole, while the other end is fixed in place, or built into a 'door to nowhere'.

A smaller version, with the permanent end fixed to an openable barrel, would allow the party to leave the base at their favourite tavern and order a hot lunch and an ale from anywhere on the same plane. Just leave a written order and a few coins, and shortly after...food.

Curious about how others would implement this idea, and give a rough thought at costing it.

Neoxenok
2021-02-06, 12:29 AM
It sounds like it would be based on the phase door (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/phase-door/) spell or passwall (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/passwall) spell.

I would look at those and see where these strike with your ideas, though a magic item that's a portable and permanent variation of those (even if stripped down to be more like a portable hole) would (and should) be stupid expensive.

Loek
2021-02-06, 04:48 AM
I don't think I'd give this kind of item a price. As balancing it would be insanely difficult no matter what you'll allow in the end.

For example:
Can people fit through? If so, it's pretty much a permanent tiny hut. Not to mention to possibilities of "losing" the item in an area you want to sneak back into later and using it as a back door. And always having a healer close by. Etc Etc

Even if you limit it to purely items. With a friendly person on the other side, you've got a infinite inventory/bag of holding. (And I can imagine a creative person firing arrows through it to act as a bonus source of damage).

That's why I'd probably fix the permanent end to something as DM (like a bar as you mentioned) and add some lore/in-game reason for the people on the other side to refuse to abuse it (too much). For example: A magical pub uses these items to provide long range service to it's favorite patrons. But to protect their neutrality (and just overal make sure people don't come hunting for them to use/abuse/revenge this), they only give a few services (like food for coin, and acting as a post office).
And thus hand it out as quest/ease-of-use item and not give it a price.