PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A clothiers closet abuse

newguydude1
2021-02-03, 12:13 PM
does this work

cast clothiers closet by ignoring the material component through many ways.
i will talk about shadow conjuration this time.

create nobles clothes

Noble’s Outfit

This set of clothes is designed specifically to be expensive and to show it. Precious metals and gems are worked into the clothing. To fit into the noble crowd, every would-be noble also needs a signet ring (see Adventuring Gear, above) and jewelry (worth at least 100 gp).

since nobles clothes are made with precious metals and gems, you could say its all diamonds or mithral or adamantine.
since the resulting clothes are permanent and nonmagical (not dispelled or radiate magic or disappear in amf), cast this 99999999 times and get rich and supply your own adamantine equipment this way and gems for material components of spells.

from the courtiers outfit description, we can conclude that the precious metals and gems are worth 50gp and the cloth stuff is worth 25gp. so you get 50gp of whatever you want per casting.

Asmotherion
2021-02-03, 04:56 PM
I suppose that works RAW as long as you don't use the Dragonmark methode.

But my understanding of RAI suggests that the Dragonmarks are used as an example, and that it's meant to apply to any other possible way of casting by bypassing the Material Component.

Either way, RAW makes it seem as doable, though it's really a much slower way to gain wealth than Wall of Iron/Wall of Salt and other well known methodes of getting filthy rich.

JNAProductions
2021-02-03, 05:05 PM
I suppose that works RAW as long as you don't use the Dragonmark methode.

But my understanding of RAI suggests that the Dragonmarks are used as an example, and that it's meant to apply to any other possible way of casting by bypassing the Material Component.

Either way, RAW makes it seem as doable, though it's really a much slower way to gain wealth than Wall of Iron/Wall of Salt and other well known methodes of getting filthy rich.

Echoing this. Yes, you can break the game wide-open by abusing the economy... But this is just one of many ways.

InvisibleBison
2021-02-03, 07:03 PM
i will talk about shadow conjuration this time.

I'm not sure that shadow conjuration is the best approach. The clothes are created by the spell, after all, which means anyone who interacts with them (or their cut-up components) would get a save to recognize them as illusory.

from the courtiers outfit description, we can conclude that the precious metals and gems are worth 50gp and the cloth stuff is worth 25gp.

Could you elaborate on this? I don't see how you're getting those numbers.

newguydude1
2021-02-04, 01:38 AM
Could you elaborate on this? I don't see how you're getting those numbers.

courtiers clothes is 30gp. but it says if you want to impress nobles you need 50gp of jewelry on the clothes.
50gp of jewelry sounds about right. nice round number. its embedded into courtiers clothes. so by extrapolation nobles clothes has 50gp of stuff too.
only noble clothes and royal outfit are super expensive and theyre all attributed to jewelry not cloth so we can conclude gems are the majority of the cloth cost.

Echoing this. Yes, you can break the game wide-open by abusing the economy... But this is just one of many ways.

my goal is to fuel things like suffer the flesh and true resurrection, not sell stuff. edit: i did realize i said get rich in the op. my mistake. my goal is get material components without needing a magic supply shop.

I'm not sure that shadow conjuration is the best approach. The clothes are created by the spell, after all, which means anyone who interacts with them (or their cut-up components) would get a save to recognize them as illusory.

good point. i think shadow clothes would radiate magic and disappear when hit with anti magic.

weckar
2021-02-04, 03:52 AM
I think it is safe to say that if they make the save, they will know that the emperor wears no no clothes.

InvisibleBison
2021-02-04, 08:37 AM
courtiers clothes is 30gp. but it says if you want to impress nobles you need 50gp of jewelry on the clothes.
50gp of jewelry sounds about right. nice round number. its embedded into courtiers clothes. so by extrapolation nobles clothes has 50gp of stuff too.
only noble clothes and royal outfit are super expensive and theyre all attributed to jewelry not cloth so we can conclude gems are the majority of the cloth cost.

I'm not sure about that. Noble's clothes cost less than 50 gp more than courtier's clothes, and their description also says you need jewelry to look legit. It's possible that the difference in price is due to more elaborate construction and higher-quality fabrics rather than being gilded and gem-encrusted. And an examination of real-world portraits backs this up: Here's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cromwell,Thomas(1EEssex)01.jpg) a courtier, and here's a noble (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anne_of_Cleves,_by_Hans_Holbein_the_Younger.j pg).

Miss Disaster
2021-02-04, 09:09 PM
This exact question was asked 3 years ago at RPGStackExchange. Note the detailed answer given by Chemus.

Hope this helps.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/102996/clothiers-closet-via-shadow-conjuration-any-wrinkles

newguydude1
2021-02-05, 12:28 AM
This exact question was asked 3 years ago at RPGStackExchange. Note the detailed answer given by Chemus.

Hope this helps.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/102996/clothiers-closet-via-shadow-conjuration-any-wrinkles

that guys wrong. nobles clothes has jewelry and precious metals. i dont use rpgstackexchange cause theres no discussion there and this game requires a long discussion to determine anything.

and i wasnt asking if i could sell the clothes. i was asking if i could create jewels with the spell to fuel spells with spell components.

I'm not sure about that. Noble's clothes cost less than 50 gp more than courtier's clothes, and their description also says you need jewelry to look legit. It's possible that the difference in price is due to more elaborate construction and higher-quality fabrics rather than being gilded and gem-encrusted. And an examination of real-world portraits backs this up: Here's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cromwell,Thomas(1EEssex)01.jpg) a courtier, and here's a noble (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anne_of_Cleves,_by_Hans_Holbein_the_Younger.j pg).

thats not d&d courtiers clothes.
how would you divy up jewel and cloth cost of noble clothes? im the one casting so i get to choose the design as long as the total is 75gp. keep in mind cheapest jewel is 10gp in d&d and the 2nd cheapest is 50gp.

Crake
2021-02-05, 12:47 AM
There are tonnes of ways to make something from nothing if you can ignore material components, and most of them get relegated to TO shenanigans. Don't expect anything like this to fly at an actual table unless they already accept such silliness as baseline.

newguydude1
2021-02-05, 12:53 AM
There are tonnes of ways to make something from nothing if you can ignore material components, and most of them get relegated to TO shenanigans. Don't expect anything like this to fly at an actual table unless they already accept such silliness as baseline.

it flies at my table. i dont see how what im doing is any more broken than dweomerkeeper or tainted sorcerer. especially since its gonna take days if not weeks or months of casting to accrue the required material components.

Crake
2021-02-05, 01:36 AM
it flies at my table. i dont see how what im doing is any more broken than dweomerkeeper or tainted sorcerer. especially since its gonna take days if not weeks or months of casting to accrue the required material components.

My point was more, if you can do the stronger things, why waste your time nickle and dime-ing this?

newguydude1
2021-02-05, 01:51 AM
My point was more, if you can do the stronger things, why waste your time nickle and dime-ing this?

im optimizing downward. if i can get away with less then im gonna take less.

i dont like dweomerkeeper because it requires cleric or deity worship so i went tainted sorcerer as a step down.
i dont like tainted sorcerer because taint mechanics. both on the free feat side and the physical side effect side.
with this nickel and dime i can avoid both and go a different prc. something fun not munchkiny. like elemental savant for the elemental type change capstone even though i do 0 blasting.