PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Dragonborn Paladin - help me optimize and plan him out

Klorox
2021-02-03, 01:30 PM
Hello all. We suffered a TPK last session (I wasn't there, not that it would've made a difference, but ugh).

Anyway, we're playing in a gritty kind of game, it's difficult and has enemies that remind me of chest busting Aliens. You don't want to get hit.

That being said, since I was absent and found out the next day, everybody had chosen their characters already. No surprise, they're all playing ranged attackers LOL.

This is the rest of the party (all level 3):

Human Arcane trickster
Tiefling hexblade bladelock (who talks about how his EB's are better than his melee)
(unknown) tomelock
We're also almost definitely getting a first time player who's willing to play a cleric. I told him it was a great choice because those restoration spells will be a huge boon.

I'm playing a dragonborn conquest paladin.

Starting at level 3, here are my stats (rolled, obviously):

19/12/15/13/12/18

I plan on choosing the defense fighting style (+1 AC).

How's this look so far? Good for session 1?

-----

Looking forward:

When I hit level 4, I think the Dragon Fear feat is the optimal choice, bumping STR to 20. The other option is to bump CHA to 20, and take this feat at level 8.

I'd like to eventually take the resilient CON feat as well.

I left INT at 13 because (if I ever get to a high enough level) 2 levels of war wizard are great on just about any character. +4 to a saving throw never goes out of style.

Another idea that came to me is to multiclass whispers bard for the Words of Terror ability.

Are these decent ideas? When would you add these levels? Conquest paladin just looks so damn good. Level 7 seems like a good stopping point, but level 8 gives you an ASI. Level 9 gives you the Fear spell. If I go that far, level 11 is close and adds 1d8 damage to every attack I make.

EDIT: Another option is to just go vhuman and go the polearm master/sentinel route, since I really want to keep my enemies away from the squishies.

EDIT 2: How about adding the Shield Master feat? I could then knock enemies prone. If they're afraid of me, their speed is 0 so they can't even get up.

Guy Lombard-O
2021-02-03, 02:48 PM
The build looks very solid to me. Conquest paladin is quite strong, and with those rolls you're in a great position from the jump.

I'd never claim it's optimal, but if it's me I'd take a Str half-feat at 4th level (dragon fear is fun and appropriate), and then Res Con at 8th. An 18 in Cha, even on a conquest paladin, is just fine until 12th level. Or I suppose even 16th, if you'd prefer another feat. Honestly, those killer stats let you do whatever you want.

J-H
2021-02-03, 03:49 PM
+1 AC is good. I would also consider the Blind Fighting style specifically because it helps negate your darkvision issues and helps with invisible enemies.

Maan
2021-02-03, 03:59 PM
I would also consider the Blind Fighting style specifically because it helps negate your darkvision issues and helps with invisible enemies.
Not to mention, two Warlocks in the party: I'd be surprised if none of them were to use Devil Sight + Darkness.

Klorox
2021-02-03, 09:42 PM
Not to mention, two Warlocks in the party: I'd be surprised if none of them were to use Devil Sight + Darkness.

Good points by both of you.

Honk
2021-02-04, 03:23 PM
Playing a Fallen Aasimar Conquest Paladin with Devine Sorcerer...8/3

It is crazy fun and the sorcerer lvls gives me the shield spell, pushing me to AC 28 on demand.
Now after strolling through Chult I hit the dreaded spot of either 9/3 with the fear spell or 8/4 with more slots for smiting and the mounted combat feat for true chivalry.

I’m the only one kinda min/maxing, so I can slack a bit, but if you’re in a cutthroat don’t get hit scenario, fear asap I would still recommend looking into the shield spell just add 2 lvl Sorcerer iirc, that +5 ac wiped the evil grin from DMs face many times