PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A prestidigitation abuse

newguydude1
2021-02-04, 03:14 AM
from tome and blood

Fun With Prestidigitation

The prestidigitation spell gives you the ability to perform minor magical effects for 1 hour. You can slowly lift 1 pound of material. You can color, clean, or soil items in a 1-foot cube each round. You can chill, warm, or flavor 1 pound of nonliving material. You can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial, and they are fragile. Any actual change to an object (beyond moving, cleaning,
or soiling it) persists only 1 hour.

So, what’s the use of prestidigitation? Actually, it’s one of the handiest cantrips around.

Change: You transform one object of Fine size or smaller into another object of roughly the same size. The object can weigh no more than 8 ounces. The change must be within the same kingdom (animal, vegetable, or mineral). For example, you could change a piece of paper into scrap of linen, and then change that into a rose. Likewise, you could change a coin into a ring. You could not, however, turn a strip of leather into a piece of paper

this means i can turn a rock into a gemstone right even if it only lasts for 1 hour. and then use that?

Prestidigitations are minor tricks that novice spellcasters use for practice. Once cast, a prestidigitation spell enables you to perform simple magical effects for 1 hour. The effects are minor and have severe limitations. A prestidigitation can slowly lift 1 pound of material. It can color, clean, or soil items in a 1-foot cube each round. It can chill, warm, or flavor 1 pound of nonliving material. It cannot deal damage or affect the concentration of spellcasters. Prestidigitation can create small objects, but they look crude and artificial. The materials created by a prestidigitation spell are extremely fragile, and they cannot be used as tools, weapons, or spell components. Finally, a prestidigitation lacks the power to duplicate any other spell effects. Any actual change to an object (beyond just moving, cleaning, or soiling it) persists only 1 hour.

does this mean i can create expensive yet fragile material components and cast spells with costly material components for free?

One Step Two
2021-02-04, 03:32 AM
The part you underlined and bolded says you cannot.

Venger
2021-02-04, 03:32 AM
No, no, and no.

You could turn a normal pumice rock into a ruby but it would be transparently fragile, fake, and worthless so impossible to pass off as valuable to the shopkeeper, and it cannot be used for spells.

The very section you have underlined explicitly says prestidigitation cannot create material components, costly or otherwise.

newguydude1
2021-02-04, 03:46 AM
The very section you have underlined explicitly says prestidigitation cannot create material components, costly or otherwise.

how did i miss that. i think i have blurry vision.

so no spell components but, um, hmm

ill get back to you.

side question, are objects created by prestidigitation permanent or disappear after 1 hour? creation of an object is not a change to an object right?

Venger
2021-02-04, 04:29 AM
They vanish after one hour. No, it is not.