PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with lack of sight

nickl_2000
2021-02-04, 09:46 AM
So, I hear that another player in a future campaign is thinking about building an EK martial character around the blindsight fighting style utilizing fog cloud and other sight reducing spells.

Were I to play a melee martial I'm not excessively worried about this, but what can I do to take advantage of this situation when playing an archer or a ranged caster?

My Ideas so far
-Fighting Style Feat: Blindfighting
-Play a Warlock with Devil's Sight and be the one to cast darkness
-Play a Chainlock warlock and have a Pseudodragon out utilizing it's blindsight

Got anything else? Any other way to be effective in this situation?

Ettina
2021-02-05, 08:11 AM
Another option would be to simply focus on a different target. A lot of the time there'll be enemies both inside and outside of a spell like darkness or fog cloud. You could even lie in wait for the guys who try to leave the fog cloud/darkness/whatever, with traps like spike growth or web or even cloudkill. Or duck in and out of the area to attack guys outside and then hide from them - a ranged rogue would be good for this tactic.

Greywander
2021-02-05, 10:24 PM
-Play a Chainlock warlock and have a Pseudodragon out utilizing it's blindsight
This doesn't work in combat, sadly, as you need to spend an action to perceive through your familiar's senses, even with Voice of the Chain Master. Unless you're talking about the familiar itself fighting, which is pretty risky, but less so when your enemies are blinded.

werescythe
2021-02-05, 10:40 PM
This doesn't work in combat, sadly, as you need to spend an action to perceive through your familiar's senses, even with Voice of the Chain Master. Unless you're talking about the familiar itself fighting, which is pretty risky, but less so when your enemies are blinded.

There is technically one way you could make this work, but the question is, would it be worth it. Multiclass into Sorcerer and when you have the ability to take Metamagic, take Quickened Spell and use your sorcerer points to cast a spell as a bonus action, while perceiving through your familiar as an action.

But like I said above, is it worth it? Not necessarily, but it could be a fun gimmick.

Maybe the DM could create an item that allows the player to perceive through the familiar as a bonus action (or if they really nice a free action).

Personally I think the other options are a bit more favorable.

J.C.
2021-02-05, 10:44 PM

Blindsight from your familiar works great out of combat. Enough to where it can bridge the gap to the 10' blindsight you get from your Fighting Style or the 30' you get from a Dagger of Blindsight (should you have access to one).

Quicken metamagic can allow you to still get a bonus action for an attack.

Witty Username
2021-02-05, 10:51 PM

You could use the familiar taking the help action to mitigate the disadvantage though. It is not the same, but it could be fun.

J.C.
2021-02-05, 11:01 PM
Animate Objects.

Not only does it work around heavy obscurement it gets buffed by it.

Warding Wind can make a 10' Fog-free radius around you. Cube of Force can do this too.