PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Any unforeseen issues with swapping detect evil for scent of evil?

Sir_Chivalry
2021-02-04, 04:18 PM
I have a player who is playing a paladin from a more primal setting (the Labyrinth in Eberron, if you're curious), and I was thinking of swapping out their detect evil for the scent of evil ability from the Stalker of Kharash prestige class in Book of Exalted Deeds.

Short version, the character gains scent, but it only detects evil auras. Faint and moderate strength auras are detectable at 30ft (60ft if target is upwind, 15ft if they're downwind) with strong and overwhelming doubling and tripling the range respectively.

Now of course this is an ability from a prestige class, but I can't at the moment see what it would be much more powerful than detect evil at will, besides being always on and supernatural rather than spell-like. And that it would sniff out a rakshasa in a heartbeat (again something that detect evil can also do, unless nondetection or other measures are taken which would block this as well)

Are there unseen problems I'm not accounting for?