PDA

View Full Version : Descent into Avernus: Lulu's powers (spoilers)

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-02-05, 12:40 AM
So my players have just met Lulu and despite not having all her powers the Aura of protection against 5th or lower spells seems just way overpowered. If the players can keep her alive they basically have a zone of amazing safety at tier 2. So for those who have DMed this, how did you handle this? Is it as crazy as it seems?

Unoriginal
2021-02-05, 01:05 AM
So my players have just met Lulu and despite not having all her powers the Aura of protection against 5th or lower spells seems just way overpowered. If the players can keep her alive they basically have a zone of amazing safety at tier 2. So for those who have DMed this, how did you handle this? Is it as crazy as it seems?

It's not overpowered, because it affects *all* the spells, including those that helps like buffs or healing.

Ettina
2021-02-05, 07:01 AM
I keep forgetting she has that. When PCs are casting she's generally not right beside them, and they pretty much never fight casters anyway. With the exception of a few bosses you may or may not fight, there's very little enemy spellcasting in Descent into Avernus.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-02-05, 12:37 PM
It's not overpowered, because it affects *all* the spells, including those that helps like buffs or healing.

I'm just re-reading to make sure. It specifies spells that are cast outside the aura, so as long as the party is inside the aura they can buff and then go into combat. I suppose once in combat things get a bit trickier, as you really need to be aware of who is in and out of the aura. Ie: if the party stays inside the aura it is likely the baddies close, then they are also inside and could cast.
We aren't playing on a grid at all at the moment due to covid, so this could be a bit of a challenge. The other poster mentioned not too many casters going forward; I'm just going to have to get out the grid for those encounters I guess.

1Pirate
2021-02-05, 02:24 PM
It shouldn't be much of an issue.. In 5e the amount of innate spell casting has dropped for demons/devils. In Avernus one of the warlords is an Archmage, but pretty much all the warlords are optional encounters(my party never even met her). Most of the encounters with spellcasters won't devolve into combat(Mad Maggie, Red Ruth, Mordenkainen, that Dao near the unicorn, Arkhan--although if they pick a fight with him 5th level spells are going to be the least of their problems--, Bel--5th levels also the least of their problems).

Unoriginal
2021-02-05, 03:36 PM
I'm just re-reading to make sure. It specifies spells that are cast outside the aura, so as long as the party is inside the aura they can buff and then go into combat. I suppose once in combat things get a bit trickier, as you really need to be aware of who is in and out of the aura. Ie: if the party stays inside the aura it is likely the baddies close, then they are also inside and could cast.
We aren't playing on a grid at all at the moment due to covid, so this could be a bit of a challenge. The other poster mentioned not too many casters going forward; I'm just going to have to get out the grid for those encounters I guess.

I wouldn't do it myself, but if it's too much of a bother to do it without a grid, you could simply give her a couple overlapping Paladin auras.

5eNeedsDarksun
2021-02-05, 06:38 PM
It shouldn't be much of an issue.. In 5e the amount of innate spell casting has dropped for demons/devils. In Avernus one of the warlords is an Archmage, but pretty much all the warlords are optional encounters(my party never even met her). Most of the encounters with spellcasters won't devolve into combat(Mad Maggie, Red Ruth, Mordenkainen, that Dao near the unicorn, Arkhan--although if they pick a fight with him 5th level spells are going to be the least of their problems--, Bel--5th levels also the least of their problems).

The warlords bit was the part I was going to really expand on. I think my crew is going to love exploring around Avernus with their Infernal War Machines. And one of the ways I've tried to add some variation and interest to Devils is to add a couple of spells, so it'll be a work around I guess.

J.C.
2021-02-05, 10:12 PM
Lulu has an amazing set of abilities. Her Shapechange ability and Teleportation (without chance of failure) and the previously mentioned Aura make her a great choice for your own Shapechange.