PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a summon for my wizard!

TourDeForce412
2021-02-05, 05:49 PM
Hey gang, I've been playing an abjuration wizard a having a blast. Part of the character's shtick is that he gained his wizardry from a relationship with a powerful storm spirit -- essentially a stand from JoJo, I flavor most of his class features and spells as coming from this spirit (e.g., Arcane Ward is the spirit eating a hit for him or a teammate, etc.).

I've hit level 9, and I'm looking for ways to let my buddy cut loose a bit and be his own spirit for a while. One obvious option is a Tasha's summon spell (Elemental makes a lot of sense, but I'm not too excited by the combat ability of those options, particularly dealing nonmagical bludgeoning/fire damage. Aberration could be a great alternative, seeing as I've already reflavored psychic damage from Mind Sliver, Tasha's Mind Whip etc as lightning fragging the target's nervous system, and my group is fine with reflavoring to that extent -- I'd definitely appreciate some insight from folks who have experience with these summons in combat). Bigby's hand could also be reflavored as my little storm spirit. I could also do it the old fashioned way of Conjure Elemental + Planar Binding an Air Elemental; my DM has suggested that I might be able to minimize the material component of Planar Binding if I limit myself to the one summon at a time.

I'm a little worried about an Air Elemental getting outscaled as the campaign goes on, but it's also the only option that frees up my precious concentration to do other things, like Slow, Polymorph, and Wall of Force. Being a wizard I could always double up if I had to, but I'd rather not take too many summon spells if I can -- I'm no conjurer, I'm just trying to bring this one aspect of my character to life mechanically. I appreciate your input, as well as your experiences with the different Tasha's summons!