PDA

View Full Version : How well does a mounted gnome battle smith work?

Rfkannen
2021-02-05, 06:11 PM
I have seen people bring up the idea of playing a small race battle smith artificier who rides their steel defender, and I really like image of it, but I am not sure how well it would work. The main problem is that the steel defender goes AFTER the rider, which I feel would be extremely bad for mount.

What do you all think? Is it a fun gimick? does it work in game? How would you build it?

Emongnome777
2021-02-05, 07:02 PM
It's something I've wanted to play. A rock gnome artificer already mixes beautifully thematically and mechanically and the battle smith leans into it nicely. I did question a little bit how it would work by RAW, as your defender will need to be an independent mount (https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/combat#ControllingaMount) for it to get an attack, but I'm not sure how well mounted rules work with a steel defender mechanics. A controlled mount would go on your turn, but it couldn't attack (unless the steel defender rules are the "specific" where the mount rules would be "general", perhaps). I'd like to see what others say about how this would work by RAW.

In any event, it sounds like a fun character all around.

JackalTornMoons
2021-02-06, 08:18 PM
Definitely a fun and solid character. 👍 Treantmonk has a build video for it if you'd want some tips.

It's something I've wanted to play. A rock gnome artificer already mixes beautifully thematically and mechanically and the battle smith leans into it nicely. I did question a little bit how it would work by RAW, as your defender will need to be an independent mount (https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/basic-rules/combat#ControllingaMount) for it to get an attack, but I'm not sure how well mounted rules work with a steel defender mechanics. A controlled mount would go on your turn, but it couldn't attack (unless the steel defender rules are the "specific" where the mount rules would be "general", perhaps). I'd like to see what others say about how this would work by RAW.

In any event, it sounds like a fun character all around.

The controlled mount rules take whatever initiative the mount would normally have and changes it to yours. The mount rules are the "specific" in this case.

Even so, a mount that can use its reaction to make an attack against you be made at disadvantage is pretty cool.

Naanomi
2021-02-06, 08:21 PM
Kobold has potential as well

samuraijaques
2021-02-07, 03:46 PM
The dnd mounted combat rules kind of suck so see if you can work with your dm. Honestly when I dm I just have the character and the mount share a turn. If they wanna move up on their mount, attack and then move back I say that makes sense and it's never felt op.

I've played the mounted gnome artificer before and it's a blast. One of the best ways to enjoy a mounted character is to go small race medium mount so you can fit inside the dungeons. It's also a great way to use a Lance since you can use your int instead of strength and get the d12 damage with reach.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-02-08, 01:32 AM
Rock Gnome is a great choice, plus any redundant proficiencies you get can be replaced by another of the same type of proficiency (PHB p125).

I'd make the steel defender look similar to an ostrich, like the mechanostrider gnome mounts in World of Warcraft. The Mounted Combatant feat may be worthwhile in this case, it lets you redirect an attack targeting your mount to yourself, and the steel defender can use its reaction to give that attack disadvantage.

You can attach items to the top of the steel defender with springs. It shouldn't take more than your free item interaction to grab one, or to drop one and grab another. Any that you drop will just bounce back into its at-rest position on its spring.