PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Basic

Jack Mann
2007-11-07, 09:32 PM
I got a call from my recruiter today. Someone else broke their leg, and they had the same AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) as I do. My recruiter asked me to take his slot, and I've accepted. I now go in November 20th instead of waiting until February 5th.

I'm nervous, but very excited about this.

Forevergrey
2007-11-07, 09:36 PM
I have just one peice of advice:

That rumor that will start circulating round about the second week of basic?

NO. They do NOT put bromide in the potatoes. The reason you loose most of that most basic instinct is because you are too tired.

So don't stay awoke at night about it, you'll need sleep.

potatocubed
2007-11-07, 10:38 PM
I'm pretty certain it's illegal to put bromide in anything these days...

Anyway, congratulations. I know you've been angling for this for a while, so well done and all the best.

QueenOfMemnoch
2007-11-07, 11:12 PM
That's exciting!
Good luck. I plan on attending AF basic next summer...and, that's all I have to say.
Anyways, best of luck!

Crow
2007-11-07, 11:21 PM
I have just one peice of advice:

That rumor that will start circulating round about the second week of basic?

NO. They do NOT put bromide in the potatoes. The reason you loose most of that most basic instinct is because you are too tired.

So don't stay awoke at night about it, you'll need sleep.

It was saltpeter in the poweraid back when I was in. =) I also have the dubious honor of being the first in my flight to go "#2". This was after two weeks of training!

Mordan
2007-11-08, 12:11 AM
As a former soldier and someone who made a career of it, let me fill you in a few basic things you should know before you go.

First, it doesn't matter how friendly he seemed, your recruiter has lied to you. It's his job to do so and to paint a prettier, friendlier picture then what it's going to be like. I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but if you set aside everything your recruiter has told you, you'll be better off.

Second, after you're done with Basic and Tech School, forget almost everything you've learned. Everytime you want to say something to the effects of "This is the way I learned it in...." just stop yourself. Chances are it's not right, not the easiest, or not the safest way to handle things. Trust those who have experience to know what they're talking about.

Third, and most important, is to realize that you're entering a whole new world. Think of it as if you are being teleported from Earth to some alternate reality. You are no longer a civilian, and lose out on a lot of things that makes civilians unique. Those things you think of as "basic human rights" probably don't exist, and those that do, are unlike anything you've ever experienced before. Military life is often referred to as an alternate lifestyle. It is so much more then that. But it is also a very great experience.

Just remember, you can't quit, and they can't fire you. I'm not saying means to be a screw up, because you are now subject to the UCMJ (uniform code of military justice) and it does give them plenty of alternatives to firing you. Taking your time and money being the most significant. Don't strive to be better then everyone else, just strive to do your best. Those are the people that succeed in the military. If you try to outdo everyone else, and fail, then you feel bad about yourself, and make yourself look bad in the long run. If you strive to do your best, and actually put forth the effort to do so, you will find that you make a better soldier then you ever imagined.

skywalker
2007-11-08, 12:39 AM
I got a call from my recruiter today. Someone else broke their leg, and they had the same AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) as I do. My recruiter asked me to take his slot, and I've accepted. I now go in November 20th instead of waiting until February 5th.

I'm nervous, but very excited about this.

Jack, I've always appreciated your swift and accurate responses to rules questions.

Good luck.

Forevergrey
2007-11-08, 01:56 AM
I'm pretty certain it's illegal to put bromide in anything these days...

Don't lie to me, potatocubed. I know your soft and sorry secret!

Jack Mann
2007-11-08, 03:08 PM
Thanks, all. Thanks for the advice, Grey, Mordan.

On a happy note, I'll actually leave for Basic on the 27th, not the 20th, so I'll at least get to spend Thanksgiving with my family.

Zanthur
2007-11-08, 03:22 PM
My sister left for USAF Basic Training in January of 2007 and is currently stationed in Utah. She has never regretted her choice of joining and I am more proud of her than I've ever been. She took on a great challenge and is handling it very well. Although I dont know most of you on here (I check the comics all the time but dont have much time to browse the forums), I can say that I am very proud of you too. I'm not much of a military person my self, but half my family (or close to) is currently in or has been in the military. If I were to ever be forced to enter the military, it would be the Air Force that I would chose because I'm a techy guy. I have absolutly nothing against joining, I just prefer to go through life the old fashioned way through college.

Best of luck to you.

Sisqui
2007-11-08, 09:48 PM
Good luck to you! I am sure you will do both your country and yourself proud :smallsmile:

Zeb The Troll
2007-11-09, 03:29 AM
Heh, my family's very military too. My parents met during Viet Nam. I have a step-sister that joined the AF right out of high school and will retire soon, as a doctor, I might add (and no, that's not what she enlisted to do, she's done all of her schooling with Tuition Assistance and GI Bill/College Fund). I joined the Army two years later and served for ten. My younger brother joined the Navy shortly after he finished high school and is still in, stationed in Norfolk and on the list to get promoted to Chief Petty Officer (E-7, it's a big deal as that will make him what the military calls a Senior Noncommissioned Officer [NCO] and he's only got 13 years in, and also because he's the only one in his rank and job specialty that was selected this year).

Heh, my dad says he doesn't know who to root for in the college ball games now. :smallcool:

Anyway, if this is something you want to do instead of something you felt obligated to do, you're going to have a good experience even if you decide not to make a career out of it. You'll learn some very good work and life habits that you can put to good use after you decide to end your service and you'll likely make some lifelong friends as well.

*salute*

Jack Mann
2007-11-25, 07:36 PM
So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Jack Mann
2008-02-16, 07:22 PM
It took a little longer than expected (bit of a fitness problem), but I finally graduated. Expect to see a bit more of me around the place pretty soon.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-02-16, 07:35 PM
Welcome back, Airman!
Good luck through Tech School.
If I may ask - whats your (prospective) rate? (or whatever you Air Force guys call it)

sickler
2008-02-16, 10:49 PM
Now you finally get to pee when you want to rather than when told (for a while).