PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Want to make a Slash and Dash Swordsman

werescythe
2021-02-05, 07:06 PM
Recently I've been watching some youtube videos involving games like Katana Zero and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, in addition to playing a lot of Cyberpunk 2077 with a katana, and it has made me want to play a DnD character that dashes around the battlefield, slashing everything that gets in their way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFeNu_nThi8&t=250s
-Thought I would include a video, just so you could see what I mean. Hopefully that's okay.

While I have a few ideas about how to go about doing it, by playing a fighter with either the Samurai or Battlemaster subclass, I thought that I would check and ask to see if there were any ideas/advice for this concept? Feats, Battlemaster Manuevers, Multiclassing Options, etc... feel free to offer you suggestions below.

Zaltman
2021-02-05, 07:15 PM
Swashbuckler. Add some battle master or swords bard for some maneuvers if you want.

Unoriginal
2021-02-05, 07:29 PM
On top of what was said above, you may also like the Kensei Monk or even the Pact of the Blade Warlock.

Aett_Thorn
2021-02-05, 08:32 PM
There are quite a few ways to do this, some of which have been mentioned above, but depending on how often you want to be able to do this, there are a few other options:

Barbarians get additional movement speed and with something like an Eagle Totem Barbarian can Dash as a bonus action as well, hitting enemies and moving past where they can reach you each turn.

Kensai Monks, similarly, get extra movement speed and can use a long sword reflavored as a katana, to fit your needs. They can even attack up to four different people in a turn if you want.

Hunter Rangers could also fit the bill. Though not as fast as the others here, they gain some extra attacks if you choose the right options. Multiclass with Rogue to be able to bonus action disengage to do it more safely. At high levels, they get access to a spell that allows them to hop around the battlefield and do damage to people.

Some weirder choices would be a Bladesinger or Blade Pact Warlock who uses spells like Misty Step or Expeditious Retreat to move around the battlefield. Probably not what you’re looking for, but just throwing it out there.

werescythe
2021-02-05, 09:21 PM
So I've been seeing the Swashbuckler brought up alot. While a part of it makes sense to me, if someone could explain how this works that would be greatly appreciated.

Also if let's say I wanted to play a Kobold, would that affect any of the options mentioned?

loki_ragnarock
2021-02-05, 09:24 PM
So I've been seeing the Swashbuckler brought up alot. While a part of it makes sense to me, if someone could explain how this works that would be greatly appreciated.

Bonus action to dash. Bonus action to disengage. Free disengage against things you attack, in case you want to use two weapons. More forgiving sneak attack conditions to allow you to sneak attack against things solo.

Very mobile.

Play an Eladrin and add some 1/short rest teleports.

werescythe
2021-02-05, 09:39 PM
Bonus action to dash. Bonus action to disengage. Free disengage against things you attack, in case you want to use two weapons. More forgiving sneak attack conditions to allow you to sneak attack against things solo.

I see... now would I need to stick around after level 3 (or 4, so I could grab a feat) or could I just hope over to like Fighter afterwards?

loki_ragnarock
2021-02-05, 10:41 PM
I see... now would I need to stick around after level 3 (or 4, so I could grab a feat) or could I just hope over to like Fighter afterwards?

It would actually be an incredibly easy multiclass; the dex requirement for rogue qualifies you for fighter; perfect for a scimitar guy.

3 Levels nets you the mobility and the ease of sneak attacking. Popping over to fighter after that would be fine and dandy.

Though you get most of what you need in terms of pure mobility from a two level dip. No real need for swashbuckler; it just makes sneak attack easier and adds a subtle extra layer of mobility.

J.C.
2021-02-05, 10:56 PM
A 2 level dip in Bladesinger is great to pick up mobility. You get the +10 move from the subclass ability, longstrider for another +10, expeditious retreat, jump, feather fall. Shield and Absorb Elements can easily be reflavored to whatever maneuver you like.
Grease also offers Swashbuckling fun.

werescythe
2021-02-05, 11:16 PM
A 2 level dip in Bladesinger is great to pick up mobility. You get the +10 move from the subclass ability, longstrider for another +10, expeditious retreat, jump, feather fall. Shield and Absorb Elements can easily be reflavored to whatever maneuver you like.
Grease also offers Swashbuckling fun.

Personally I would prefer to avoid spellcasting with this character (merely because I've played so many spellcasters that I would like to take a break from it).

werescythe
2021-02-06, 04:40 AM
So I must say that I am actually starting to lean toward the Kensei Monk route, partially because of the fact that things about the subclass was cleared up for me and it actually looks like it would be really fun and fits the way I want to play. I especially LOVE the idea of taking the Longsword as a Kensei weapon and in a sense making it a Dex weapon.

Now the question is, what are some good feats that go with Kensei Monks (especially if they are focused around using the Longsword)? :smallsmile:

bendking
2021-02-06, 05:49 AM
There are many ways to go about this, but notably, Mobile lets you do this with any class.

Sol0botmate
2021-02-06, 09:03 PM
Another good way to do this is 5 Barbarian (Elk Totem)/15 Rogue Scout, Race: Tabaxi.

This way you have 65 feet base movement at level 14 (30 + 10 from Barbarian + 15 from Elk Totem + 10 from Scout). With Tabaxi you can also increase that to 130 feet burst of speed and up to 260 feet if you take Bonus Action: Dash + Tabaxi Feline Agility in same turn. If you take also Mobile feat you will have 75 base speed, 150 dash speed, 300 dash + Feline Agility speed or 150 normal + Feline Agility speed and over 35 feet Skirmisher speed or 70 when Skirmisher + Feline Agility is used.

Skirmisher from Scout allows you to move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends its turn within 5 feet of you. That means you can move over 30 feet out even when someone will manage to catch you on battlefield. Even more if you use Feline Agility with it, you can move out over 60 feet away from enemy.

You can run around and attack with Reckless Attack for advantage with Sneak Attack while raging. You have 2 attacks with Sneak Attack attached.

Hytheter
2021-02-06, 10:52 PM
The Barb/Rogue idea seems pretty cool. Another merit to note is that with your mobility you can hit them recklessly and then scamper off before they can capitalise on it.

Catullus64
2021-02-07, 12:05 AM
The new Slasher feat from Tasha's is dynamite when combined with Mobile, Swashbuckler, Cunning Action, or Ki-based movement, for a build that wants to focus on dashing in and slashing out, since it hampers the target's movement on a hit. Played around with Mobile + Slasher on a Kensei recently, it was an absolute blast to play. And a half-feat at that!

Hytheter
2021-02-07, 06:29 AM
The new Slasher feat from Tasha's is dynamite when combined with Mobile, Swashbuckler, Cunning Action, or Ki-based movement, for a build that wants to focus on dashing in and slashing out, since it hampers the target's movement on a hit. Played around with Mobile + Slasher on a Kensei recently, it was an absolute blast to play. And a half-feat at that!

Oh, huh, I'll have to consider those feats for the Kensei I'm playing now. Especially since I'm playing with certain homebrew that enables a crit-fishing build, which pairs well with Slasher.

Edit: On second thought, I lack the ASIs. Tragic.

MrStabby
2021-02-07, 07:10 AM
Oh, huh, I'll have to consider those feats for the Kensei I'm playing now. Especially since I'm playing with certain homebrew that enables a crit-fishing build, which pairs well with Slasher.

Edit: On second thought, I lack the ASIs. Tragic.

Just use a fighter. Be a SAD class and put those extra ASIs to good use. You could do something like mobile at 4, Slasher at 6, eleven accuracy at 8 then max dex/str at 12.

You can also consider the shield master feat. Shoving an enemy prone and then backing out of their move range (factoring in cost of standing) means you basically negate their turn if they are a melee enemy.

Hytheter
2021-02-07, 07:33 AM
Just use a fighter. Be a SAD class and put those extra ASIs to good use. You could do something like mobile at 4, Slasher at 6, eleven accuracy at 8 then max dex/str at 12.

Sure, that's a good idea. Alas, I'm already 5 levels into Kensei. :P

I'll definitely keep Slasher in mind for this sort of thing, though.

J.C.
2021-02-07, 05:26 PM

You can also consider the shield master feat. Shoving an enemy prone and then backing out of their move range (factoring in cost of standing) means you basically negate their turn if they are a melee enemy.

If a lot of mobility is your goal a 2 level dip in Bladesinger gets you lots of mobility and lots of tricks.

Tabaxi Bladesinger 2 /Psi-Fighter 18
Mobility, Longstrider, +10 BS, Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Action Surge

30+10+10+10 = 60 base movement
×2 Tabaxi, × 2 Psi Flight (bonus action) = 240 burst movement

So that is burst move 240 and attack

Or use action surge for 480 burst move and double attack

Or use action surge for 720 burst move, Dash, and attack

Or use action surge for 960 burst move only (Dash action x 2).

That is a lot of mobility for an almost entirely fighter build. Psi-fighter also works well with War Mage.