PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Need help on a non-damage combat cantrip for my cleric

Manyarrows
2021-02-06, 12:42 AM
Please provide input/ advice on the following draft.

DISORIENT
Enchantment cantrip.
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet.
Components: V,S
Duration: Instantaneous

You create a mental haze in the mind of one creature that you can see within range. The target must make a Intelligence saving throw. On a failed save, the target has disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn and it can't take reactions until the start of its next turn.

This spell can affect 2 targets when you reach 5th level, 3 targets at 11th level and 4 targets at 17th level.

Loek
2021-02-06, 05:31 AM
The best comparison is probably Vicious Mockery, which gives disadvantage in the same way.
(Granted with a Wisdom save instead of a Intelligence save. Not sure if that's really a big deal. Though wisdom saves tend to be a bit higher I think)
Ofcourse they do 1d4 psychic damage, but you've replaced that with "no reactions" (Which I'd argue is better, but situational)

I don't think I'd allow the "multiple target" scaling though.
There's roughly 3 types of scaling with cantrips:

No scaling (like the above compared "Vicious Mockery")
Damage scaling (by far the most common)
Target scaling (only on Eldritch blast, one of the most powerful cantrips and part of the base of an entire class - and pure damage without invocation investment)

Conclusion:
I think I'd remove the scaling part. And look into the wisdom vs intelligence save bit.

PS:
Didn't really look much deeper, but I'd imagine that a "disorient multiple opponents" kind of spell would quickly be level 2/3.

JNAProductions
2021-02-06, 11:39 AM
Perhaps scale by making more attacks at disadvantage?

Limit it to attacks taken on their next turn, so you can't use this and inflict disadvantage in an hour if they happen to not make attack rolls for the interim, but I definitely think it should have SOME scaling.

PhantomSoul
2021-02-06, 12:08 PM
Perhaps scale by making more attacks at disadvantage?

Limit it to attacks taken on their next turn, so you can't use this and inflict disadvantage in an hour if they happen to not make attack rolls for the interim, but I definitely think it should have SOME scaling.

Good point -- maybe go with 1 round as the duration and then say "before the spell ends". Scaling with the number of attacks on that single target could work and fixes a common Vicious Mockery complaint.

Loek
2021-02-06, 12:27 PM
Oh, I like this idea for scaling. This goes into my book of possible cantrip upgrades :-)

Manyarrows
2021-02-06, 08:09 PM
I like the idea of multiple attacks for scaling better as well. The multiple targets did seem too strong for a cantrip, but being a combat spell I wanted it to grow with the character.

I kept Intelligence save because I am making it for a knowledge cleric and though it seemed more fitting.

I also think the cantrip would be good for a pacifist Peace domain cleric or even a Redemption paladin with Blessed Warrior fighting style.

I think the cantrip gives something fun for a non- violent character or support character to do in combat.

DISORIENT
Enchantment cantrip.
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet.
Components: V,S
Duration: 1 round

You create a mental haze in the mind of one creature that you can see within range. The target must make a Intelligence saving throw. On a failed save, the target has disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn and it can't take reactions until the start of its next turn.

This spell imposes disadvantage on the next 2 attack rolls the target makes before the end of its next turn when you reach 5th level, the next 3 attacks at 11th level and the next 4 attacks at 17th level.