PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying The REAL issue with Alchemist (Funny)

Citadel97501
2021-02-06, 12:46 AM
Anyone ever think the biggest problem with Alchemist is that they put child safety caps on their bottles which is why they take a full action to drink?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/lowres.cartoonstock.com/health-beauty-safety_cap-childproof-child_proof_cap-childproof_cap-child_proof_cap-epln66_low.jpg

Foxhound438
2021-02-06, 02:41 AM
I'm just sad that their 3rd level feature, which is for most classes and subclasses a big flagship, build defining feature, becomes obsolete and meaningless really quickly. No scaling, low level effects that you'll forget about by level 5.

MrStabby
2021-02-06, 07:03 AM
I'm just sad that their 3rd level feature, which is for most classes and subclasses a big flagship, build defining feature, becomes obsolete and meaningless really quickly. No scaling, low level effects that you'll forget about by level 5.

So I see a dozen "fixes" (lol) for sorcerer, some for ranger, champion, four elements... but no one seems to have picked up the baton on the alchemist. I wonder if it's just because it's new, or because it is a bit more niche so fewer people have experienced it.

stoutstien
2021-02-06, 08:31 AM
So I see a dozen "fixes" (lol) for sorcerer, some for ranger, champion, four elements... but no one seems to have picked up the baton on the alchemist. I wonder if it's just because it's new, or because it is a bit more niche so fewer people have experienced it.

I've see a dozen or so fixes floating around. The UA version is popular and can be adjusted to fit the published version.

I also have written optional options for my players who want to play the alchemist. The framework for artificer is actually pretty fun to build off of and alchemist is a pretty broad flavor so you could make 3-4 different ones and be fine.

Cikomyr2
2021-02-06, 11:08 AM

I had a proposed fix at one point.

Replace Experimental Elixir with this:

"When you gain this ability, you may sacrifice an Artificier spell slot of the level of your choice. Select one of your Artificer spell with a range of Self or that can target creatures or humanoids (ex: charm person, heal, False life).

Every day after a long rest you can create *one* potion that replicates the casting of the selected spell, cast a the selected spell slot level, targeting only the person consuming the potion. You can have a number of active potions equal to your proficiency bonus, if you create a potion in excess to this limit, the oldest potion becomes stale.

These potions do not count against your number of maximum infused magical items.

You can change the selected spell to be potioned every time you gain a level. The number of spells you can select to be portioned increase to 2 at level 9, and 3 at level 15.

(note: the later restriction should be re-investigated)

You cannot create more than one potion per long rest, no matter what. Creating that potion does not interfere with the creation or infusion of any other magical item. You need an herbalist or alchemist kit to be able to create potions"

I am unsure of the whole "you are restricted in which spell you can potion", but I like the idea of permanently sacrificing a spell slot to be able to create potions at that level. Kind of gives an incentive to sacrifice higher level slots.