PDA

View Full Version : Are there other ways than wish/miracle/godhood that create casting value?

Smoutwortel
2021-02-06, 11:38 AM
I know it's possible in d&d 3e/3.5e to create and destroy matter with spells like create water, limited wish, etc., but as far as I know wish is the only thing that can add the kind of value that's refered to in spell descriptions as "valuable components" to the universe.
All other things seem to consume at least as much or more value than they create.
Do you know an exception?

Gruftzwerg
2021-02-06, 12:03 PM
I know it's possible in d&d 3e/3.5e to create and destroy matter with spells like create water, limited wish, etc., but as far as I know wish is the only thing that can add the kind of value that's refered to in spell descriptions as "valuable components" to the universe.
All other things seem to consume at least as much or more value than they create.

google for Wall of Salt ;)
there are other options too, but WoS is the most known (and IIRC profitable).

Vaern
2021-02-06, 12:32 PM
Not that I know of off the top of my head for 3.0/3.5, though Pathfinder has Blood Money which transforms your blood into material components for spells and can include expensive material components in exchange for a few points of strength damage. Since it's based on the same system you might be able to get away with adding a Pathfinder spell into your 3.0/3.5 game.
The material component turns back into blood if it is not used to cast a spell by the end of the round. What you want to do is use blood money to create a mass of gold (or whatever valuable material you happen to want) and then cast Fabricate to transmute it into a slightly differently-shaped mass of gold. Since the blood-gold was used as a material component to cast a spell it is no longer in danger of turning back into blood. The spells Blood Money and Fabricate both have a duration of instantaneous, so this newly-created gold is not an ongoing spell effect and thus can not be dispelled or anti-magicked away.

Jack_Simth
2021-02-06, 12:55 PM
I know it's possible in d&d 3e/3.5e to create and destroy matter with spells like create water, limited wish, etc., but as far as I know wish is the only thing that0 can add the kind of value that's refered to in spell descriptions as "valuable components" to the universe.
True Creation (domain spell)
Fabricate (x3 even without shenanigans)
Wall of Iron

St Fan
2021-02-06, 12:58 PM
The spell true creation (Complete Divine and Spell Compendium, among others) can also create permanent valuable items, including material components.

It, however, has an XP cost and is a domain-only cleric spell (Creation domain).