PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Wizard Multiclass Discussion

LichPlease
2021-02-06, 04:46 PM
I've been pulled into a game that I am waiting to start up and I have decided to translate a character from another system to 5e. For now I plan on building it as a highly versatile Monster Slayer 6/Divination Wizard 14 and I don't plan on deviating from this much. I just wanted to start a thread to keep my interest up while I wait.

What I really want to have to discuss is the Ranger/Wizard multiclass in general because it seems like one of those often avoided combinations. What are its pros and cons (beyond it being MAD and not optimized). Do you have experience with the multiclass? What do you find that it excels at that can't quite be met with other builds? What are glaring deficiencies that cannot be compensated for without going into a third class? Any cool role playing ideas you have come up with this multiclass?

Pandamonium
2021-02-09, 05:15 AM
I've been pulled into a game that I am waiting to start up and I have decided to translate a character from another system to 5e. For now I plan on building it as a highly versatile Monster Slayer 6/Divination Wizard 14 and I don't plan on deviating from this much. I just wanted to start a thread to keep my interest up while I wait.

What I really want to have to discuss is the Ranger/Wizard multiclass in general because it seems like one of those often avoided combinations. What are its pros and cons (beyond it being MAD and not optimized). Do you have experience with the multiclass? What do you find that it excels at that can't quite be met with other builds? What are glaring deficiencies that cannot be compensated for without going into a third class? Any cool role playing ideas you have come up with this multiclass?

I have found it rather hard to decide on the split between Ranger-Wizard as the ranger get features at 7th and 11th level (odd ones) while the wizards get them at even levels (6th,10th & 14th).
In your case I am unsure if I would pick one more portent over the 7th level Slayer feature which is very good for survival.
And if you have 7 levels of ranger isn't it good to take 8 for ASI and miss out on 7th level spells on wizard?

It's hard to weigh them is what I think :)

It does excel in survival utility that I think is unmatched by any other class and I don't think there is another class that can pull of the Mage slayer quite as well.

GentlemanVoodoo
2021-02-09, 08:27 AM
Pandamonium is correct in that it is hard to weigh for these two. Also more context is needed to evaluate this such as your play style, what race is being used, etc.

On a general review, you would have the tracking and distance combat down fine. Most of your spells would probably be to utility for tracking/scouting and perhaps defense. Assuming you are using ranged combat MAD I don't think would be an issue per say. High Dex and Int is really needed with a moderate or low Wis depending on your ranger spell selection.

Again I am going on assumptions just from what you described.

RP wise, this seems more like the intelligent monster hunter who gathers as much info about their target as possible. So an ambush master of some kind is what I am envisioning.

LichPlease
2021-02-09, 06:20 PM
Thank you both for showing interest in my thread. Though I was hoping that more would be interested in a general discussion of the multiclass, I can explain what I have planned for this character to clarify things.

He is a variant Human with the following stats:
STR-14 DEX-13 CON-14 INT-14 WIS-14 CHA-8

I took Resilience (CON) for my bonus feat. I took a custom background to more accurately match my character concept including the Wanderer background feature.

I am proficient in the following skills:
Athletics, Medicine, Nature, Perception, Stealth and Survival

I opted for the new Deft Explorer and Favored Foe Ranger class features. I chose Survival for my expertise skill. Planning on taking the Blind Fighting fighting style.

The reasoning behind me taking 6 levels of Monster Slayer Ranger and the rest in Wizard is I will be able to get the upgrade for Deft Explorer and Favored foe while also picking up a 9th level spell slot. The extra use of Portent is really just a very nice bonus. I plan on taking that 6th level of Ranger at mid-levels (10th or 11th). As for the ASIs, I plan on taking +2 INT for the first 1 or 2 and then taking the Skill Expert feat to pick up proficiency in either Arcana or Religion while gaining expertise in Nature and also getting that missing point in DEX to fill out medium armor. Last ASI is undecided between the final +2 INT or another feat.

All the reasons for taking different combinations are valid and I have considered then but going too much deeper into Monster Slayer would not serve my concept further and would possibly hurt it.

The concept and reasoning for this build is my character is a monster hunter that takes trophies from his kills, uses these trophies as his spell focuses (foci?) and gains a portion of his Wizard spells based on these slain creatures. He starts off as focused, capable and flexible in martial combat and favors melee (sword and shield, sword and spell, two weapon and two-handed). As he progresses, he will lean more into spellcasting and use spells to buff his martial capabilities when necessary, while relying more on cantrips for long range attacks versus using a bow. His spellcasting will favor utility, mainly in the form of rituals, buffs as stated before and debuffs in order to weaken his prey and level the playing field. The occasional damage spell like Fireball and Chain Lightning will be welcome for a bit more combat versatility.

So yes, GentlemanVoodoo, your guess on what I was going with RP was generally accurate.

Finally, not that I am wanting to swap out Ranger for anything for this character, but is the Ranger really that superior in Survival? Bards, Rogues and any character who takes feats that give expertise in a skill also allow expertise in Survival and many spells not unique to the Ranger also seem to help. Am I forgetting/missing anything unique to the Ranger that makes him unquestioned master in this aspect of gameplay?