PDA

View Full Version : How is this gunner drunken monk build?

Rfkannen
2021-02-06, 05:17 PM
I made another thread about making a pirate, and it reminded me of my old maplestory days, and how you could either be a brawler pirate or a marksman pirate, and I had the idea... the gunner monk is a thing, can you make a dnd 5e pirate who is both?

Race is variant human with the gunner feat and +1 dex and wis. Skill is intimidate, Language is primordial, because your a pirate and need to talk to the sea (though I am also considering draconic? not sure which would be better for a pirate.

Abilities go 10 str, 15 dex, 13 con, 8 int, 14 wis, 12 cha. It isn't the best stat array in the world, but you are going to need at LEAST 10 strength for grappling, and 12 charisma for intimidating and doing pirate stuff

Subclass go drunken master. Seems the most pirate-y subclass.

Asi at 4 go skill expert feat, get +1 to con, proficiency in persuasion (for talking to a crew) and expertise in athletics.

After that spend all your asi on improving dex, than int, than con

Skills: acrobatics, athletics(expert), insight, intimidation, perception, performance, and persuasion
tools: brewers tools, carpenters tools, navigators tools, and vehicles (water)

In combat you act as both a controller, stunning people and tossing them around as a brawler, and as a midrange shooter, being able to shoot anyone who gets out of range.

Out of combat you have everything you need to be a perfect pirate, the tools to maintain a ship, the alchohol and charisma to keep a crew happy, and the intimidation to get people to give you stuff!

What do you think? Does this make an alright pirate monk build? How would you improve it?

Quietus
2021-02-07, 01:03 AM
Speaking as an ex-Mapler (Dark Knight main here), I think this might be trying to do too much; you'll technically be capable of wielding a gun, but you won't be truly feeling like that's your main schtick. None of your abilities specifically synergize with firing a gun, so this doesn't really get you anything that being an elf would do just as well, if not better.

I would say there's two ways to go :

If you're going to try to combine the two different specialization routes, use the Kensei bow-spam build uses Xanathar's and Tasha's, where you are reliably proccing a bonus action ranged attack every round by either applying the "spend ki for accuracy" or "spend ki for damage" features, and be a mediocre melee character if you need to.

Or, split the two apart. For gunner, I'd look at being a small race, and go artificer (battle smith) with crossbow expert. Your steel defender? That's your pirate ship. Use the Repeating Shot infusion to fan the hammer, and consider taking spells/infusions to replicate any other abilities you want to have, like their weird jump effects. For Brawler, I'm not sure exactly what I'd do, honestly. They've got the whole super saiyan mode thing, which is kind of ki to their output... I'd say either go astral self monk for scaling protective super saiyan prowess, or go open hand monk with a dip into another class for the transformation? Or, go with Aasimar to get an actual transformation. Maybe Aasimar with a three level Fighter dip for Rune Knight, so you can action surge, transform, bonus action enlarge, and then go full smash mode? It's not an easy moveset to port over, that's for sure.

::Edit:: My wife is completely reasonably suggesting that a brawler could just be a straight Rune Knight with the unarmed fighting style.