PDA

View Full Version : Cleric domain question

Sicmetal43
2021-02-06, 10:56 PM
Ok we are starting CoS soon and I was planning on making a dwarf tempest cleric for it, I've been looking at the domains more and im starting to get intrigued by forge domain. Anyone that's played either or both that have any suggestions on which would be better or more fun?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2021-02-06, 11:23 PM
Tempest is a blast, literally.
Forge is also decent but imo looks like less fun to play, it also depends on how strict the dm is with the channel divinity that lets you create stuff. If their lenient with it then it would be super fun.

Sicmetal43
2021-02-06, 11:25 PM
Tempest is a blast, literally.
Forge is also decent but imo looks like less fun to play, it also depends on how strict the dm is with the channel divinity that lets you create stuff. If their lenient with it then it would be super fun.

Yeah I was wondering if forge would be more fun role-playing wise, their abilities are ok but I like their domain spells

Unoriginal
2021-02-06, 11:32 PM
Yeah I was wondering if forge would be more fun role-playing wise, their abilities are ok but I like their domain spells

I DMed a Forge Cleric for a different module, it was pretty fun both for the RP and for the abilities (they were still low level last session, so can't talk about higher level).

MrStabby
2021-02-07, 05:40 AM
Forge is fun. For those that like to have a defined role they feel special at it is hard to beat being a Forge Cleric tank.

Tempest is more of an all-rounder. It adds a blasting option to a non-blasting class which is nice to have but it isnt going to turn you into an evocation wizard.

Sicmetal43
2021-02-07, 01:16 PM
My biggest concern is im not sure but guessing a lot of things in CoS will be fire immune which would weaken a lot of a forge cleric

MrStabby
2021-02-07, 01:38 PM
My biggest concern is im not sure but guessing a lot of things in CoS will be fire immune which would weaken a lot of a forge cleric

So I don't really know, but on the other side I would suggest that a lot of stuff would not appreciate radiant damage so you might be looking to spend your time using your core cleric spells for damage a lot rather than the domain spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-02-07, 01:53 PM
From an optimization standpoint, Tempest is best combined with a High Elf (or Half-High Elf) with the Tasha's ability score and proficiency substitutes to get Booming Blade. Also use the Izzet Engineer background if possible for Shocking Grasp and Elemental Weapon. Otherwise Tempest Cleric only gets one lightning spell on their whole list, and not a very worthwhile melee attack.

Wraith
2021-02-07, 02:59 PM
I played a Mountain Dwarf Forge Cleric from level 1-8, though the Dragon of Icespire Peak expansion.

The only criticism I have of Forge Clerics is that they're very easy to stereotype as "the blacksmith" who is only interested in making stuff, and it took conscious effort to remember that he was a *Priest* and to do Priest-y stuff sometimes. Other than that, they get good offensive Class spells so there's plenty of room for healing, buffs and utility in your spell list, and they're great for being a 'problem solver' in a situation where you don't have a lot of resources but you do have a bit of imagination.

It's the sort of play-style that I enjoy, in that they can do a LOT of things in interesting ways, provided that you don't mind using your initiative and exploring your abilities in unique ways.

Sicmetal43
2021-02-09, 03:14 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with Forge because it will give the character a little more variety with being able to create items with channel divinity.

Now I'm trying to decide on background, right now planning on Clan Crafter

nickl_2000
2021-02-09, 03:17 PM
Not what you asked in your OP, but seriously consider Twlight Cleric.

With your Channel Divinity you can either.

You grant it temporary hit points equal to 1d6 plus your cleric level.
You end one effect on it causing it to be charmed or frightened.

No action at all beyond the action to activate it. Being able to end charmed on all PCs in your area every single round when fighting Vampires it worth having available.

meandean
2021-02-09, 03:23 PM
Clan Crafter is certainly the background that says "I'm a dwarven Forge Cleric" the most. Just remember that you can change everything about your background: you can take any two skills, any two tools and/or languages, and any background feature. That's not an optional rule or from Tasha's or anything; that's an explicit rule in the Player's Handbook. So backgrounds are unrelated to optimizing the character; they're entirely about what backstory you imagine this character having.