PDA

View Full Version : Reaching Omu too soon

SSB_Shadow
2021-02-07, 11:11 AM
Hey everyone.

I know I just made a post with some questions, but those were minor.
I have a bigger concern I need to consult on how to handle.

My party are dead set on going to Mbala to find "a witch doctor" who they believe may know something about the death curse. They basically rushed out from Port Nyanzaru as soon as they could, avoided most sidequests and not bothering of picking up too many rumors, and hired Eku, the guide who probably knows the most relevant things and would encourage them to go there. They got a canoe and are going along River Soshenstar.

My prediction is that they will handle Mbala in whatever way, see Orolunga, get there, and have the location spoiled about Omu and where to find it by the oracle.

And they are level 3 right now.

Has anyone some experience about this situation? Should I try to add in some more mini adventures, some powerful adversaries or red herrings to delay this? I'm just afraid they will get to the endgame too soon and be wrecked by all the horrors there.

OldTrees1
2021-02-07, 11:59 AM
Surviving the jungle trek is a lot of experience from wilderness encounters. I expect they will be 5th level by the time they reach their final destination. Our group set out into the jungle at level 2 IIRC. That is not to say surviving the jungle is easy, it is meant to keep the PCs feeling like underpowered underdogs. So I would just use the expected amount of chult jungle encounters.

Unoriginal
2021-02-07, 12:20 PM
Hey everyone.

I know I just made a post with some questions, but those were minor.
I have a bigger concern I need to consult on how to handle.

My party are dead set on going to Mbala to find "a witch doctor" who they believe may know something about the death curse. They basically rushed out from Port Nyanzaru as soon as they could, avoided most sidequests and not bothering of picking up too many rumors, and hired Eku, the guide who probably knows the most relevant things and would encourage them to go there. They got a canoe and are going along River Soshenstar.

My prediction is that they will handle Mbala in whatever way, see Orolunga, get there, and have the location spoiled about Omu and where to find it by the oracle.

And they are level 3 right now.

Has anyone some experience about this situation? Should I try to add in some more mini adventures, some powerful adversaries or red herrings to delay this? I'm just afraid they will get to the endgame too soon and be wrecked by all the horrors there.

If it's really a problem, you could have Eku provide training and tests on the way to make them level up faster. With the PCs' consent of course.

The Oracle should have enough common sense to point out that as they are right now, the Yuan-ti will tear them appart.

Or maybe they'll want to go back to Port Nyanzaru to get a proper expedition on the way, who knows?

There is a "timed mission" to PoA, so your PCs going fast isn't necessarily a problem, so long as they know what they're getting into.

MaxWilson
2021-02-07, 12:25 PM
Make the witch doctor size them up and then demand proof that they can handle the info he's found to give them. I.e. "First, bring me the head of the T Rex that lives over there!" In character, that gives the witch doctor confidence that he's sending the right people on the mission, with some chance of success. Out of character, that warns the players what scale of danger they're signing themselves up for, and gives them a chance to recruit allies, find equipment, refine tactics, or level up first before proceeding to the endgame, without having to dither around "in character". No, they're just getting ready to tackle the T Rex and that takes time.

Giving someone a clue that they aren't equipped to execute on isn't helpful. This way, it's helpful.

Segev
2021-02-07, 12:29 PM
I would set up encounters on the way to Mbala that build up the menace of the region. Set it up so they might believe there is a baitiri boss who is the miniboss of the area and who could be the recurring antagonist. Remember, though, that Eku will be pushing to take down a certain someone.

Make Mbala a story arc with sufficient encounters toes them to level four or five, and then the jungle encounters to Orolunga and Omu (which they still will need to search the given area enough to find) should get them to level five or seven or so.

SSB_Shadow
2021-02-08, 12:06 PM
Make the witch doctor size them up and then demand proof that they can handle the info he's found to give them. I.e. "First, bring me the head of the T Rex that lives over there!" In character, that gives the witch doctor confidence that he's sending the right people on the mission, with some chance of success. Out of character, that warns the players what scale of danger they're signing themselves up for, and gives them a chance to recruit allies, find equipment, refine tactics, or level up first before proceeding to the endgame, without having to dither around "in character". No, they're just getting ready to tackle the T Rex and that takes time.

Giving someone a clue that they aren't equipped to execute on isn't helpful. This way, it's helpful.

The witch doctor was supposed to be Nanny Pu'pu but I kinda like this idea! That it's a separate person. He could have been taken by the Red Wizards and the team need to detour to save him, and he'll need to test them. :)

Unoriginal
2021-02-08, 12:44 PM
The witch doctor was supposed to be Nanny Pu'pu but I kinda like this idea! That it's a separate person. He could have been taken by the Red Wizards and the team need to detour to save him, and he'll need to test them. :)

Rescuing someone from the Red Wizards' a pretty good test already.

Could make the witch doctor one of the albino dwarves with connection to the jungle spirits who live in Chult.

Segev
2021-02-08, 01:02 PM
Rescuing someone from the Red Wizards' a pretty good test already.

Could make the witch doctor one of the albino dwarves with connection to the jungle spirits who live in Chult.

Maybe Nanny Pu'pu isn't playing "sweet old lady" but instead is impersonating the witch doctor, having sold him to the Red Wizards.