PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How can i make carts go faster ?

MarkRoss9
2021-02-07, 03:39 PM
hello, this is my first post :smallbiggrin:,

im starting in a gestalt campaing of a friend(i ve played 5 sessions already), and i wanted to make a wizard\druid character that has a bussiness and sells pretty much everything it finds, so i wanted to have a cart so i can carry these things, and the problem is that in the campaing we have to go to a place to restore our youth with dragon blood because we can only live like 2 months, so we have to go back and forth missions(which i think is cool) BUT we have to acknowledge EVERY HOUR, and every difficult terrain. So is kind of frustrating because each time you move you have to spend a lot of time with a map calculating every distance according to the terrain, and no one wants a cart moving 20' slowing you down, but at the same time we need to carry corpses to live so..

im a druid\wizard level 5 how can i make a cart that is able to at least move at 30'? (and at best ignores difficult terrain).

and the manual doesnt really help you a lot: i dont know if carts cant move faster because they break or something or is because is being pulled by horses and is the most they can do... And how much horses? can i make it bigger and use more horses? is a specific part of the cart that doesnt like to be toss around by something stronger than a horse? is that easy to get stuck in mud ? whats the problem with making a cart go 30'? or even 40'? CAN I MAKE IT FLY?

InvisibleBison
2021-02-07, 04:11 PM
A simple solution would be to swap out your cart for pack horses. A light load for a heavy horse is 228 pounds, and its maximum load is 690 pounds. Even with the higher amount, it will still travel faster than a normal human. At 200 gp a piece, a 5th level party should be able to afford a dozen or so.

Alternatively, if you can find the scrolls, casting animate objects and permanancy on your wagon will give it a move speed of 60 feet. The cost is probably out of your price range, though -the two scrolls would cost 18,400 gp.

aglondier
2021-02-07, 04:19 PM
Paint it red...

gijoemike
2021-02-07, 04:20 PM
Always great to see new posting! Welcome welcome.

How many corpses? How much supplies? Does it have to be intact?

Moving items around via a cart is low level stuff. In fact level 5 is about the point in time carts become completely useless.

See handy haversack
See bag of holding
Carpets of flying
Horseshoes of travel/Speed/Zephyr
Maybe wagon wheels of Speed could be an item.

There comes a point in which just a riding on a horse using force march rules makes it much farther than a cart can while still carrying more items. Extra-dimensional spaces are the key.

But even that moves to the sideline once teleport comes on line. Oh i need to travel 2000 miles, standard action later*, CHECK.

As a druid - look at the spell tree stride. You basically get a mile a minute with all your personal belongings but you cannot take others with you.

Wizards get teleport at the same level and it is a group.

RNightstalker
2021-02-07, 04:53 PM
Don't forget the portable hole.

If you're intent on the drawn cart, maybe upgrade to a wagon with more horses. There are also magic items to equip on mounts to help them. The DMG has Horseshoes of Speed, while Horseshoes of Zephyr will help with difficult terrain.

MarkRoss9
2021-02-07, 06:27 PM
Paint it red...

haha, sounds reasonable

MarkRoss9
2021-02-07, 06:31 PM

If you're intent on the drawn cart, maybe upgrade to a wagon with more horses. There are also magic items to equip on mounts to help them. The DMG has Horseshoes of Speed, while Horseshoes of Zephyr will help with difficult terrain.

yeah, the issue is more like what happens with the wagon going to more speed, maybe is not about the horses but the integrity of the wagon, and in that case i could make it a steel chasis but it would weight 1000 lb instead of 200lb

i forgot about the portable hole, is super cool, but is waay out of my budget

other thing that i could try is to make the whole wagon with the things inside shrink with shrink item, but can be considered as just one object?

also, im thinking using 3 tenser disks, and make the whole thing levitate, but i locked evocation:smallsigh:

MarkRoss9
2021-02-07, 06:36 PM
Always great to see new posting! Welcome welcome.

How many corpses? How much supplies? Does it have to be intact?

Moving items around via a cart is low level stuff. In fact level 5 is about the point in time carts become completely useless.

See handy haversack
See bag of holding
Carpets of flying
Horseshoes of travel/Speed/Zephyr
Maybe wagon wheels of Speed could be an item.

There comes a point in which just a riding on a horse using force march rules makes it much farther than a cart can while still carrying more items. Extra-dimensional spaces are the key.

But even that moves to the sideline once teleport comes on line. Oh i need to travel 2000 miles, standard action later*, CHECK.

As a druid - look at the spell tree stride. You basically get a mile a minute with all your personal belongings but you cannot take others with you.

Wizards get teleport at the same level and it is a group.

Many thanks for welcoming me

it should be more or less intact, the corpses can be around 5 or 10(medium to large size), and more stuff like swords and equipment.
and is too much to carry with handy haversack or bag of holding, carpets of flying maybe a good option but is too expensive.

MarkRoss9
2021-02-07, 06:38 PM
A simple solution would be to swap out your cart for pack horses. A light load for a heavy horse is 228 pounds, and its maximum load is 690 pounds. Even with the higher amount, it will still travel faster than a normal human. At 200 gp a piece, a 5th level party should be able to afford a dozen or so.

Alternatively, if you can find the scrolls, casting animate objects and permanancy on your wagon will give it a move speed of 60 feet. The cost is probably out of your price range, though -the two scrolls would cost 18,400 gp.

yeah i think animate object will be the late game solution, a pack of horses sounds like a good idea aswell.

Maat Mons
2021-02-07, 07:30 PM
Instead of carrying a bunch of corpses around, you could just make corpses as you need them. Making corpses is easy. You just need living people, weapons, and a complete absence of scruples. And unlike corpses, living people can carry themselves around. In fact, they can carry your other stuff too. And if you don't tell them what's in store for them, you can easily get people to follow you around carrying your stuff for very modest quantities of money.

Or, if you have one of those pesky conscience things... Arms and Equipment Guide has magical wheels that increase the speed of whatever they're attached to by +10 feet, and they're only 100 gp for a pair. Magic Item Compendium has Enveloping Pit, which is 5x as good as a Portable Hole, but only costs 3,600 gp. It does have alignment restrictions, but Lawful Neutral is quite doable. If you reach 9th level, and can get your whole party in on it, you can all take the Landlord feat, pool your money, and buy an Eberron airship as your mutual stronghold.

Gorthawar
2021-02-07, 07:34 PM
also, im thinking using 3 tenser disks, and make the whole thing levitate, but i locked evocation:smallsigh:

First a very warm welcome. Second you can get a talisman of the disc (MIC) for 500gp and get tenser's disks at will. That should help. There is a guide on using it somewhere as well.

InvisibleBison
2021-02-07, 09:26 PM
If you reach 9th level, and can get your whole party in on it, you can all take the Landlord feat, pool your money, and buy an Eberron airship as your mutual stronghold.

Wouldn't you have to be in Eberron to buy an Eberron airship?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-02-07, 10:10 PM
OHAI! Welcome to the hive of scum and villainy wonderful giantitp forums!

You could always hire a spellcaster. Teleport you all for a few thousand gp. Worth it, if your lives are on the line. And if you buy an enveloping pit and a ladder, and have everyone climb in but one, the spellcaster could even be fairly low level. After all, s/he'd only be transporting one person and his magic items. Alternatively, buy a scroll.

MarkRoss9
2021-02-08, 09:23 AM
Instead of carrying a bunch of corpses around, you could just make corpses as you need them. Making corpses is easy. You just need living people, weapons, and a complete absence of scruples. And unlike corpses, living people can carry themselves around. In fact, they can carry your other stuff too. And if you don't tell them what's in store for them, you can easily get people to follow you around carrying your stuff for very modest quantities of money.

Or, if you have one of those pesky conscience things... Arms and Equipment Guide has magical wheels that increase the speed of whatever they're attached to by +10 feet, and they're only 100 gp for a pair. Magic Item Compendium has Enveloping Pit, which is 5x as good as a Portable Hole, but only costs 3,600 gp. It does have alignment restrictions, but Lawful Neutral is quite doable. If you reach 9th level, and can get your whole party in on it, you can all take the Landlord feat, pool your money, and buy an Eberron airship as your mutual stronghold.

HAHA i would love to do the first option, but these are homebrew creatures and they have acid breath and are very tough so it might be dangerous to keep them alive,but the other solutions are quite feasible, thanks!. Btw, wasnt arms and equipment guide for the 3.0e?

MarkRoss9
2021-02-08, 09:26 AM
First a very warm welcome. Second you can get a talisman of the disc (MIC) for 500gp and get tenser's disks at will. That should help. There is a guide on using it somewhere as well.

Thanks for the welcome :smallbiggrin:. I really really dont think the talisman of the disk is at will, is very likely a mistake in the book, there is no possible way that something that powerful is that cheap.

MarkRoss9
2021-02-08, 09:31 AM
OHAI! Welcome to the hive of scum and villainy wonderful giantitp forums!

You could always hire a spellcaster. Teleport you all for a few thousand gp. Worth it, if your lives are on the line. And if you buy an enveloping pit and a ladder, and have everyone climb in but one, the spellcaster could even be fairly low level. After all, s/he'd only be transporting one person and his magic items. Alternatively, buy a scroll.

haha thank you! where is the price of hiring a -i think- level 7 spellcaster?

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-02-08, 10:51 AM
haha thank you! where is the price of hiring a -i think- level 7 spellcaster?Here (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm) under "Spellcasting and Services".

Also, multiposting is frowned upon by the mods around here. Please try to condense your responses into one post, if possible.

Calthropstu
2021-02-08, 11:12 AM
Amulet of the disc, take a quickling brownie cohort, place disk under carriage, remove wheels, give amulet to quickling.

Edit: You may want to enforce loyalty magically, otherwise this plan becomes "how to lose everything you own in 3 easy steps."

Telonius
2021-02-08, 11:24 AM
If you can find a 12th-level Monk who's willing to do it, he could probably take over for the horse. (Speed 70, as opposed to speeds of 50-60 for heavy and light horses).

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-02-08, 11:30 AM
If you can find a 12th-level Monk who's willing to do it, he could probably take over for the horse. (Speed 70, as opposed to speeds of 50-60 for heavy and light horses).A warforged monk with a high Str score, so he can sprint the whole way without getting tired.

Gorthawar
2021-02-08, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the welcome :smallbiggrin:. I really really dont think the talisman of the disk is at will, is very likely a mistake in the book, there is no possible way that something that powerful is that cheap.
Well the hand of the mage is 900gp for magehand at will and the hat of disguise 1,800gp for disguise self at will. If your DM thinks floating disk should be more expensive these might help as guidelines. I think the game designers didn't realize all the silly things you can do with the disk and assumed you'd just use it to transport your loot. However, you actually want to do just that and as such I don't think 500gp are that wrong.

MarkRoss9
2021-02-08, 08:15 PM
under "Spellcasting and Services".

Also, multiposting is frowned upon by the mods around here. Please try to condense your responses into one post, if possible.
Thanks, sorry i didnt knew that, this is much more organized.

Amulet of the disc, take a quickling brownie cohort, place disk under carriage, remove wheels, give amulet to quickling.

Edit: You may want to enforce loyalty magically, otherwise this plan becomes "how to lose everything you own in 3 easy steps."
You mean talisman of the disk? you cant have it more than once and getting a quickling brownie is quite inconvenient, but thanks.

Well the hand of the mage is 900gp for magehand at will and the hat of disguise 1,800gp for disguise self at will. If your DM thinks floating disk should be more expensive these might help as guidelines. I think the game designers didn't realize all the silly things you can do with the disk and assumed you'd just use it to transport your loot. However, you actually want to do just that and as such I don't think 500gp are that wrong.

I mean, yeah if you take as it was written then yes, is at will, but in the table at the end you can see the item marked as 3h\1day(i know that is text over table but this gives a hint of what might be the intention of wotc: was proabably to make just 1 disk per day), also magehand is a good example of why talisman of the disk is not intended to do at will because magehand is far less powerful, is a level 0 spell and is MORE expensive. it wouldnt make sense that they make such a thing so cheap. so one has to assume they made a mistake.

Vaern
2021-02-09, 08:17 AM

I'd go with MIC's enveloping pit, as it's essentially the same thing except that it's much deeper and much cheaper. Something like five times the capacity for a quarter of the cost.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-02-09, 12:15 PM
I'd go with MIC's enveloping pit, as it's essentially the same thing except that it's much deeper and much cheaper. Something like five times the capacity for a quarter of the cost.Portable holes are 20,000 gp. Enveloping pits are 3,600 gp. Enveloping pits are 18% the cost of portable holes and are 500% the size. They do require you to have UMD or be evil within one step of LE, though.

Maat Mons
2021-02-09, 04:16 PM
Enveloping pits require you to be within one step of LE (Kurtulmak's alignment). So LN works fine if you don't want to be Evil, and don't want to invest in UMD.

RNightstalker
2021-02-09, 05:11 PM
I'd go with MIC's enveloping pit, as it's essentially the same thing except that it's much deeper and much cheaper. Something like five times the capacity for a quarter of the cost.

Good reminder. I remember coming across it a while ago and it never occurred to me to use it as a much cheaper portable hole. Thanks!

Vaern
2021-02-11, 10:20 AM
Portable holes are 20,000 gp. Enveloping pits are 3,600 gp. Enveloping pits are 18% the cost of portable holes and are 500% the size. They do require you to have UMD or be evil within one step of LE, though.

Enveloping pits require you to be within one step of LE (Kurtulmak's alignment). So LN works fine if you don't want to be Evil, and don't want to invest in UMD.

Whoops, my bad. It's been a while since I've actually read the description... I knew there was an alignment tied to it, but I thought it was just for the relic power that lets you pop it open from a distance. Could still be useful if you at least have a lawful neutral party member or can get a hiring of the appropriate alignment...

Bronk
2021-02-11, 10:47 AM
You could get a shadow wagon, from the Caravan of the Itinerant Bazaar. For 12k, it takes you through the Plane of Shadow, which is a lot faster. Hopefully the link still works, I can't check it at work.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031110a

Also, there are a lot of options in the Arms and Equipment Guide. The cheapest are 'Speedy Wheels', 100g for a 10' speed increase.