PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Twilight Domain Cleric Multiclass Build Help

george moshingt
2021-02-07, 03:41 PM
Hey yall, i have recently started a new level 3 build, and decided to go with a Twilight Domain Cleric.

my intention with this build is to be a good support player to my team, but also a dangerous melee character so i can get in the fray or if an enemy comes after me.

My current build is

level 3

Str: 15 Dex: 18 Con: 16 Int: 13 Wis: 18 Cha: 15

Variant human Starting feat: magic initiate (Booming Blade, Message, Shield)

im thinking of taking ranger at level 5 and either going to level 3 in that to take gloom stalker, or taking it to level 5 to get extra attack.

another option is to take fighter to get action surge and potentially extra attack if i take 5 levels of it.

which option do you think is best, or do you have a better option to multiclass into?
any help is appreciated. thanks

Ghghj2
2021-02-07, 04:07 PM
Hello! I am currently playing a runic warrior 5/twilight cleric 2, and as a controler type of character he works really well, with some spells to buff, reactions to stop enemies (i have sentinel) and action surge to cast and attack. I think gloomstalker would be a more agressive choice, and rangers overall have too many stuff for bonus action. I'd say go with what your character is more inclined to do, warrior will have more options each turn i think, but gloomstalker can deal some heavy damage at the start of a battle.

bendking
2021-02-07, 04:15 PM
Hey yall, i have recently started a new level 3 build, and decided to go with a Twilight Domain Cleric.

my intention with this build is to be a good support player to my team, but also a dangerous melee character so i can get in the fray or if an enemy comes after me.

My current build is

level 3

Str: 15 Dex: 18 Con: 16 Int: 13 Wis: 18 Cha: 15

Variant human Starting feat: magic initiate (Booming Blade, Message, Shield)

im thinking of taking ranger at level 5 and either going to level 3 in that to take gloom stalker, or taking it to level 5 to get extra attack.

another option is to take fighter to get action surge and potentially extra attack if i take 5 levels of it.

which option do you think is best, or do you have a better option to multiclass into?
any help is appreciated. thanks

I think you probably shouldn't multiclass at all, for a few reasons:
First off, I wouldn't dip off of any Cleric until I get to level 5 because Spirit Guardians is an incredible spell, and Revivify is a must in any party.
Secondly, if you're already at level 5, Twilight Cleric has a great 6th level feature, so I wouldn't miss out on that either if I were you.
Thirdly, Twilight Cleric scales very well with level, so that's an additional reason to stay in this specific domain.

All that said, Cleric spells above 3rd level aren't usually that great (although Spirit Guardians scales fantastically), so if you are going to dip away from Cleric I would do so after level 5 or 6, ideally with Ranger.

Chronic
2021-02-07, 04:42 PM
I would not multiclass before level 9, where you get circle of power, which is one of the most powerful support spell in the game, especially because it works on spell like abilities. Also, with the good scaling of the cleric dpt spells, you should stay relevant in melee. Otherwise I would gladly pick a level or two of druid, they have shillellagh, good lvl 1 spells and some druid features are quite cool.

george moshingt
2021-02-07, 06:25 PM
I haven't been playing dnd for very long, and so far all my builds have been melee classes (aside from a college of swords bard)

the main reason I'm considering a multiclass is to enhance my melee capabilities hence ranger or fighter ideally taking blind fighting since one of my allies is planning on using darkness alot.

so a major question is, is booming blade good enough for melee damage or is it better to get extra attack.
if i decided to go gloomstalker ranger is it better to stick with it for 5 levels or just take the 3. By that same logic is it better to take fighter to get action surge and call it quits or still keep going for extra attack?

CTurbo
2021-02-07, 09:54 PM
I don't believe that Ranger or Fighter is worth it if you intend on using Booming Blade unless you can actually start level 1 as Fighter for the Con saves and Fighting Style. Booming Blade does not play nice with Extra Attack or the Gloom Stalker's extra 1st round attack. Of course, having the option or using Booming Blade OR attacking2-3 times is not a bad thing.

You intend on using Booming Blade most of the time, I'd actually recommend taking some Rogue levels considering your stats. You can get a lot from some Rogue levels(Expertise, Cunning Action, Sneak Attack, Uncanny Dodge, etc...)

Swashbuckler lets you utilize Booming Blade better as you can just walk away from the enemy after hitting. You could just move back 5ft out of reach but still keep the enemy in Spirit Guardians.
Arcane Trickster would be a great combo with Twilight Cleric. You'd get all the great Rogue stuff, a super Mage Hand, plus some great Wizard spells.

If you'd rather attack more often, Gloom Stalker 5+ would be the way to go. Gloom Stalker mixes so well with Twilight Cleric just as Ranger mixes well with Cleric in general.

Your stats are actually good enough to jump over to Paladin. In fact, if you really want to play a melee focused Cleric, jumping over the Paladin after Cleric 5 would be a great idea.

If your friends are using Darkness a lot, 2 levels of Warlock gets you Devil's Site. Armor of Agathys is a great spell for melee. You could get a super powered familiar and several of them are able to see in the dark. Celestial would be fitting, but Fiend could be fun if it fits your character concept.

Chronic
2021-02-09, 05:59 AM
Just to be clear, the Twilight cleric doesn't really work with the darkness builds. The channel divinity bypass any form of darkness in a 60ft radius, which is in my humble opinion an added feature considering I hate darkness builds. Also booming Blade is nice, but without potent spellcasting and shillellagh you tend to be quite Mad, and I would argue that melee clerics aren't that good outside of a few specific builds, and in my opinion twilight cleric isn't one of them despite the heavy armor proficiency and the rider on melee.